PDA

View Full Version : Coach Cut teaches to play under pressure (Appreciation thread)

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Army: close game in the fourth quarter, they throw consecutive interceptions for touchdowns. Duke closes strong. On the road.

State: close game late into the second half, they fumble two punt returns deep in their own territory. Duke recovers both and closes strong. On the road.

Twerps: Cut states after the game that, for the first time, his Duke teams know that they are going to win the game once they got to the final quarter.

Wahoos: close game in the fourth quarter, UVa fumbles on a deep sack and Duke turns it into points. Duke closes strong. On the road. Against a team that had us circled since the "upset" last year.

It has been stunning to me that, for years, Duke was the team to have the stupid penalty, turnover, or "fluke" to beat them late. Now, Duke keeps the pressure on and forces the other team to make the mistake.

Cut is wholly correct to say that you have to learn to win. It is an incredible feat by Cut, and each and every member of the coaching staff, to instill this principle. I have gone from years of dreading the last quarter to feeling confident that we were going to prevail.

To each and every coach: this post is a poor attempt to thank you for the work you have done. If I could summon the greatest authors of our time, it would still fall short in expressing the pride I have in Duke Football and the incredible work you have done.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks to each and every one of you.

-- OPK

Native
10-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Hear, hear! Excellent post, and I 100% agree. Thanks go out to Coach Cut and the entire Duke coaching staff, as well as the players. Keep it up, guys!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Army: close game in the fourth quarter, they throw consecutive interceptions for touchdowns. Duke closes strong. On the road.

State: close game late into the second half, they fumble two punt returns deep in their own territory. Duke recovers both and closes strong. On the road.

Twerps: Cut states after the game that, for the first time, his Duke teams know that they are going to win the game once they got to the final quarter.

Wahoos: close game in the fourth quarter, UVa fumbles on a deep sack and Duke turns it into points. Duke closes strong. On the road. Against a team that had us circled since the "upset" last year.

It has been stunning to me that, for years, Duke was the team to have the stupid penalty, turnover, or "fluke" to beat them late. Now, Duke keeps the pressure on and forces the other team to make the mistake.

Cut is wholly correct to say that you have to learn to win. It is an incredible feat by Cut, and each and every member of the coaching staff, to instill this principle. I have gone from years of dreading the last quarter to feeling confident that we were going to prevail.

To each and every coach: this post is a poor attempt to thank you for the work you have done. If I could summon the greatest authors of our time, it would still fall short in expressing the pride I have in Duke Football and the incredible work you have done.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks to each and every one of you.

-- OPK

I'll raise my glass of lovely white wine to that, sir! Guess you're glad you've got plans for November 28.

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I've said so much on many boards tonight. I held back until this victory was reality..too much to lose in hindsight. But also in hindsight, this was a signature Cutcliffe win for the Cut as we've gotten to know him. From his postgame, he knows there is much to improve, but he also realizes this team is doing something special that is worth noting. Thanks coach and thanks to the people that we don't see..it's so much fun to watch the changes that are happening, at a pace that is honestly hard to keep up with. Best wishes for continued success and bringing a new attitude to Wallace Wade. GO DUKE!

jv001
10-31-2009, 10:00 PM
To Coach Cut for putting Pride back in Duke Football. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
10-31-2009, 10:08 PM
If Coach K gets as much out of his players (4* & 5*) as Coach Cut is getting with his (1* & 2*), they'll be another NC banner in Cameron. Way to go Coach Cut!

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 11:23 PM
I'll raise my glass of lovely white wine to that, sir! Guess you're glad you've got plans for November 28.

Yes, and hopefully for one game beyond that.

But, to focus on the immediate -- GTH, C!