PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Caulton

jjasper0729
10-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Got to really love Caulton Tudor putting a cart before the horse

N&O Story (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/166863.html)

I know there's always the threat of a good coach moving on to greener pastures but isn't this a little premature? Don't we think Coach Cut would stay until the foundation is fully laid at LEAST rather than have a good year and then bolt?

Devilsfan
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Would you expect anything less from a hometown writer trying to keep his job in an industry that's all but DOA. Remember it was just a couple of weeks ago that Cut's team put a spanking on Raleigh's team NC State. I bet all wolfpak members want him (Cut) gone.

killerleft
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM

I know there's always the threat of a good coach moving on to greener pastures but isn't this a little premature? Don't we think Coach Cut would stay until the foundation is fully laid at LEAST rather than have a good year and then bolt?

Frankly, if Coach Cutcliffe wasn't on other schools' radar, it would mean there was not much reason for us to want to keep him. Just another reason to fill Wallace Wade!

davekay1971
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Can we write Tudor's speculation off as wishful thinking from a long-time Carolina homer?

Dear Mr. Tudor: we, in Durham, recognize that Duke has the best football coach in the Triangle. I'm sure that chafes your buns. But there's no indication that Coach Cutcliffe is thinking about anything beyond turning Duke into a legitimate ACC contender and staying in Durham indefinitely. On the other hand, you may want to check Mr. Davis's house to see if he's actually unpacked his luggage. I heard he's already contacted Mack Brown's travel agent regarding moving arrangements, should he actually manage to turn the now-dark-blue-wearing Tarholes into a winning team.

wolfpackdevil
10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
David Cutcliffe did not come to one of the worst Division 1 football teams, just to leave in 3 years.

He has turned around the program, and I really believe that this will be his last stint. He new that he could have stayed at Tennessee for another year, and then became the head coach for the Volvs. But he didn't want to do that. He wanted to rebuild a program.

I don't think he will be going anywhere.

roywhite
10-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Can we write Tudor's speculation off as wishful thinking from a long-time Carolina homer?

Caulton is the Digger Phelps of sportswriters, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Throw in his fondness for all things light blue....:(

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I take Caulton's speculation as a compliment of sorts for the progress being made in resurrecting the Duke football program.

Coach Cutcliffe and his staff are very close. Any of them could be somewhere else today, but they continue to choose to stay together. The package deal (Coach + staff) in hiring Coach Cutcliffe is a very good fit for them and for Duke.

I also think of what Wallace Wade had to say about why he left Alabama while very successful (80% wins) to go to Duke to build a program. He was attracted to the more open possibilities of operating a program at Duke in contrast to the sort of micromanagement he experienced at Alabama.

sagegrouse
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary should just use a picture of Caulton Tudor for the word, "churl."

sagegrouse
'I mean this column is almost Johnny Miller-like in its negativity'

gep
11-01-2009, 02:06 AM
David Cutcliffe did not come to one of the worst Division 1 football teams, just to leave in 3 years.

He has turned around the program, and I really believe that this will be his last stint. He new that he could have stayed at Tennessee for another year, and then became the head coach for the Volvs. But he didn't want to do that. He wanted to rebuild a program.

I don't think he will be going anywhere.

I agree... but one key item that makes Coach Cut stay "forever" is the continued total support of Duke administration, athletics, etc. Any of these to turn against football, or athletics in general, could turn Coach Cut away. But if Coach Cut has any kind of success that Coach K has, and if both coaches continue with their ways... I can't imagine that Duke will change their ways...:rolleyes:

GO DUKE!!!!!