PDA

View Full Version : S and P 1253

airowe
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Kyle Singler and Casey Peters will keep a blog all throughout the season on DukeBluePlanet. Here's their first:

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/?p=1660

I love how accessible the players have been this year.

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Gotta love social media!

airowe
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Can a mod please capitalize the p in the title?

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-30-2009, 02:01 PM
This is great, we get a first hand account of how duke is doing from the players. Also Coach K i believe is having a video chat about once a week.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Buy Nolan Smith Stock... done

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2009, 02:08 PM
K-Y? I really hope we don't start calling him that ;)

Hoosier-Devil
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I'll assume I'm finding a hidden meaning that wasn't intended. "K-Y as a lot of us call him wears #12 for us as you all know, but off the court he is just as talented as he is on the court, which is going to make for a lot of fun throughout the year on the blog." So, they don't call him "Kyle," they don't call him "Ky." Instead, they call him "K-Y." As in a certain kind of lubricant? Where Kyle "off the court is just as talented as he is on the court"?

BD80
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
K-Y? Really?

These guys must be tough as hell, because they make it soooo easy for opposing fans.

Reminds me of J Cash "A Boy named Sue" (written by Shel Silverstein?)

DUKIECB
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought K-Y was marmalade jelly from Kentucky?:confused:

Indoor66
10-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I thought K-Y was marmalade jelly from Kentucky?:confused:

This is NOT a barbeque thread!

Billy Dat
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
This is the kind of thing where K shows his particular genius.

This greater access is a gesture to the programs many different constituents:

-Fans: it's lets us see the players and coaches in a more personal way, per the comments above.

-Recruits: these kids today love them some social media and Duke is the kind of place where that stuff is encouraged (within certain parameters). It makes the program appear, for lack of a better term, "with it". Also, K has always been savvy with media training for his players and I think that by providing them the opportunity to express themselves in these ways, he's helping to teach them responsible use of these potentially volatile media platforms (volatile in terms of the ability to set off media firestorms in our 24/7 sports news cycle).

-Media: I think K has done a great job, primarily starting last year, with spending more time with the media after some had him pegged as an elitist with his password protected office fortress and delegation of sideline reported interviews to the assistants. Use of social media is not only a way to expand the outside world's view of your program, but it's also a way to bypass the media alltogether. We fans can read reporters takes on the team, and we can also see what the team is putting out there themselves.

-Overall transparency: One thing I like about these social media posts and videos is that our guys seem so normal - they sit in their rooms playing video games, they study and write papers, etc. The pessimist would say that it's K controlling the image that goes out to the world, and I am sure some of that happens, but I think overall its a pretty good way to show the world that what many view as the evil empire are really just a bunch of goofy college kids.

Jarhead
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
This is the kind of thing where K shows his particular genius.

This greater access is a gesture to the programs many different constituents:

-Fans: it's lets us see the players and coaches in a more personal way, per the comments above.

-Recruits: these kids today love them some social media and Duke is the kind of place where that stuff is encouraged (within certain parameters). It makes the program appear, for lack of a better term, "with it". Also, K has always been savvy with media training for his players and I think that by providing them the opportunity to express themselves in these ways, he's helping to teach them responsible use of these potentially volatile media platforms (volatile in terms of the ability to set off media firestorms in our 24/7 sports news cycle).

-Media: I think K has done a great job, primarily starting last year, with spending more time with the media after some had him pegged as an elitist with his password protected office fortress and delegation of sideline reported interviews to the assistants. Use of social media is not only a way to expand the outside world's view of your program, but it's also a way to bypass the media alltogether. We fans can read reporters takes on the team, and we can also see what the team is putting out there themselves.

-Overall transparency: One thing I like about these social media posts and videos is that our guys seem so normal - they sit in their rooms playing video games, they study and write papers, etc. The pessimist would say that it's K controlling the image that goes out to the world, and I am sure some of that happens, but I think overall its a pretty good way to show the world that what many view as the evil empire are really just a bunch of goofy college kids.

Nice post, Billy. Mrs. Jarhead and I really enjoy getting these peeks at the lives of our athletes.

roywhite
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Excellent summary and analysis by Billy Dat.

Good moves and strategies by Coach K. I'm so impressed with his continued passion for the program and a desire to make it better with fresh looks at many areas. Whether it be the Olympic experience that has rejuvenated him, the love of his family and the Duke family, or just his nature, Coach K keeps getting better.

airowe
11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
A little late on this one, but here is the latest S And P 1253 from DukeBluePlanet.com.

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2009/11/sp-1253-ready-for-radford/

77devil
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I look forward to when the S & P 500 index reaches 1,253.

slower
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Is the background/font combo kind of, um, difficult to read?

airowe
11-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Black font on white background? Not to me...

slower
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Must be my IE setup.

Newton_14
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM

I had the same problem as you apparently did. Take the cursor and highlight the post and you can see it just fine. It turns it into white font on the blue background..

Sounds like they really love the lady that prepares the team meals for them. Kind of like having a mom on campus. I am really liking this kind of access to the team. We get to see behind the scenes and find out some of what they do in their down time.

Also it was obvious from that post that this team has great chemistry and they really love hanging out together. Very positive sign.

airowe
12-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Latest entry:

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/category/sp1253/

Billy Dat
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's what jumped out at me:

"New York was awesome. On Friday night we went to dinner at Sparks Steakhouse in the city."

I guess the men's hoops team isn't feeling the recession pinch, Sparks is one of the most expensive steakhouses in NYC. I entertained clients there once and was praying that none of them wanted wine lest I start having to go into my own pocket. They did want wine, but I think the worried look on my face led them to the cheaper side of the list.

That place is a real treat, glad to see the program rolling in high style.

RainingThrees
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Here's what jumped out at me:

"New York was awesome. On Friday night we went to dinner at Sparks Steakhouse in the city."

I guess the men's hoops team isn't feeling the recession pinch, Sparks is one of the most expensive steakhouses in NYC. I entertained clients there once and was praying that none of them wanted wine lest I start having to go into my own pocket. They did want wine, but I think the worried look on my face led them to the cheaper side of the list.

That place is a real treat, glad to see the program rolling in high style.

Steak the night before a game, not sure thats what the nutritionist would recommend. I guess they know more than I do.