PDA

View Full Version : Coach K On Charge Rule Without Line- "It's A Joke"

Newton_14
10-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Coach K is quoted in the linked article about implementing the new "No Charges Under the Basket" rule without putting the line on the floor. He is not too happy with it.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/84001-ncaa-to-regulate-incessant-flopping-under-basket

"Still, many coaches, McCaffrey included, believe the committee did not go far enough because it declined to put an arc on the floor to clearly delineate the new restricted area. At the ACC's media day this week, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called that decision (or non-decision) "a joke." "

Kedsy
10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Coach K is quoted in the linked article about implementing the new "No Charges Under the Basket" rule without putting the line on the floor. He is not too happy with it.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/84001-ncaa-to-regulate-incessant-flopping-under-basket

"Still, many coaches, McCaffrey included, believe the committee did not go far enough because it declined to put an arc on the floor to clearly delineate the new restricted area. At the ACC's media day this week, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called that decision (or non-decision) "a joke." "

Well, he's right. The charge/block call is already tough enough for the officials without adding another judgment call to the process. Plus having no line leaves the officials open to being second guessed.

And from a Duke fan's perspective, with Duke's reputation for drawing charges, it means we'll have to hear an entire season of whining, either from opponents/announcers saying we're getting special breaks because our (imaginary) line seems smaller than our opponent's line, or from our own fans lamenting the opposite. Or both.

Newton_14
10-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, he's right. The charge/block call is already tough enough for the officials without adding another judgment call to the process. Plus having no line leaves the officials open to being second guessed.

And from a Duke fan's perspective, with Duke's reputation for drawing charges, it means we'll have to hear an entire season of whining, either from opponents/announcers saying we're getting special breaks because our (imaginary) line seems smaller than our opponent's line, or from our own fans lamenting the opposite. Or both.

Totally agree. This is going to be a nightmare. If they want the rule, then fine, put the line in. There is no way there will be consistency with this rule. It will all depend on how each individual ref views not only where the line is but how they view this rule in general as to how they make the call.

Just a bad rule from the get go.

SMO
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
He's right. It's like removing the free throw line and having the refs eye-ball 15ft. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

DukeSean
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I predict a lot more screaming at my TV.

Kim*
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
He's right. It's like removing the free throw line and having the refs eye-ball 15ft. Either do it right or don't do it at all.
Completely agree with this.

moonpie23
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
something might budge following night after night of TV cameras and on-screen graphics repeatedly showing how completely wrong the calls are...

BD80
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
something might budge following night after night of TV cameras and on-screen graphics repeatedly showing how completely wrong the calls are...

On-screen graphics like the first down line on football games? I can't believe how accustomed I have become to having that line when I watch football games.

It would be interesting to have the basketball player control line only visible to viewers and commentators. We would see how good/consistent the refs are, and which teams are better coached. A line visible to the players and refs would be better for the game, but the invisi-line more interesting - proof that Duke does indeed get all the calls. Or not.

Poincaré
10-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like they decided not to draw a line so that the refs could do whatever they want without accountability? Whenever a zebra wants to stick it to one team, he could potentially abuse this rule with great effectiveness. I hate being paranoid...

weezie
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like they decided not to draw a line so that the refs could do whatever they want without accountability? Whenever a zebra wants to stick it to one team, he could potentially abuse this rule with great effectiveness. I hate being paranoid...

It's not just you. It's yet another tool that the refs have been given with which to beat the coaches into submission. What a complete @#&^ing waste the NCAA rules committee has become. Get some chimps and give them a few bananas and they'll make better decisions.

ice-9
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I heard/read somewhere they're not drawing the line this year but they are next year due to budgetary and preparation issues?

Edouble
10-31-2009, 01:38 AM
I heard/read somewhere they're not drawing the line this year but they are next year due to budgetary and preparation issues?

You go to Home Depot and get a bucket of paint and a brush. Are you kidding me?

MChambers
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Completely agree with this.

Or even worse, the three-point line.

jacone21
10-31-2009, 03:22 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how coaches make adjustments to take advantage of the new rule. K will probably adapt better than most... tell his guys to aggressively attack the rim with impunity. Tell the guys to try to dunk every time they go to the basket, since refs may be reluctant to call charges. Force the officials to make a call (or not) early and often.

jv001
10-31-2009, 09:56 PM
This year we will have some long jumping jacks under the baskets and we will not have to rely on getting a charge call. But I agree with Coach K a line would help the refs call the play correctly. I guess it just made too much sense to put one under the basket. Go Duke!