PDA

View Full Version : Cali-oopsie

BD80
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Top 20 big man Adreian Payne to declare for Michigan State

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=914237&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f914237.html

Two big "misses" in a row for UK. A trend?

Patterson is looking ready and likely to leave. Orton and Cousins might just be one year players.

This would leave Cal with one player over 6' 7" or over 225 lbs: Josh Harrellson at 6'10" 265 lbs.

CJ Leslie (6-8, 185 lbs) and Tobias Harris are the "bigs" up next for Cal on the recruiting horizon.

It would not be a stretch for Wall, Bledsoe and Darius Miller to also leave early after this year.

Things could well turn around quickly, for the worse, for Coach Cal and his "cast a wide net" approach.

Conversely, things seem to be brightening in Duke's future. We may be offering earlier, but don't seem to be casting the wider net. In K we trust.

moonpie23
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
if you're happy and you know it clap your hands ! " ###"

wall was a big fish for calipari, but others might be actually taking a much broader look at the overall portfolio that he has become as a coach AND a person...

airowe
10-29-2009, 04:25 PM

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=914237&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2 %2f914237.html

Patterson is looking ready and likely to leave. Orton and Cousins might just be one year players.

This would leave Cal with one player over 6' 7" or over 225 lbs: Josh Harrellson at 6'10" 265 lbs.

CJ Leslie (6-8, 185 lbs) and Tobias Harris are the "bigs" up next for Cal on the recruiting horizon.

It would not be a stretch for Wall, Bledsoe and Darius Miller to also leave early after this year.

Things could well turn around quickly, for the worse, for Coach Cal and his "cast a wide net" approach.

Conversely, things seem to be brightening in Duke's future. We may be offering earlier, but don't seem to be casting the wider net. In K we trust.

Do you really think Miller and Bledsoe will leave? Miller has only started two games thus far. I'll give you Wall, probably Cousins, and maybe Orton.

Nonetheless, it's exciting to see the gray cloud in Calimari's silver lining.

CEF1959
10-29-2009, 04:30 PM
It's been fun, in a kind of sick sort of way, to watch Cal succeed at a school, then leave under a cloud of suspicion over how he did it. Over and over. It might be sad to see him fail to win at all. If you win and cheat, it's easy to hate you. If you lose, it's harder to hate you.

I might make an exception for Cal, but still.....

BD80
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Do you really think Miller and Bledsoe will leave? Miller has only started two games thus far. I'll give you Wall, probably Cousins, and maybe Orton.

Nonetheless, it's exciting to see the gray cloud in Calimari's silver lining.

Do I think they should leave? No. Although I think it will be very interesting to watch the Wall/Bledsoe dynamic.

I have read reports that Eric is blazing fast, and looked great in pick-up against Wall (I know, it is because he was on Horvath's team :rolleyes: ). If Wall dominates the ball the way some similar players have, it will make the other players look bad (they get stuck with the ball as the shot clock expires). I believe Eric sees himself at the next level, so this could create tension.

The question is more what are the expectations of the players? Many are willing to go even as a second rounder, just so they can play for pay. Orton, Cousins and Wall may have that mind-set. Bledsoe and Miller as well.

airowe
10-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Do I think they should leave? No. Although I think it will be very interesting to watch the Wall/Bledsoe dynamic.

I have read reports that Eric is blazing fast, and looked great in pick-up against Wall (I know, it is because he was on Horvath's team :rolleyes: ). If Wall dominates the ball the way some similar players have, it will make the other players look bad (they get stuck with the ball as the shot clock expires). I believe Eric sees himself at the next level, so this could create tension.

The question is more what are the expectations of the players? Many are willing to go even as a second rounder, just so they can play for pay. Orton, Cousins and Wall may have that mind-set. Bledsoe and Miller as well.

You mean more pay?

speedevil2001
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
whats going on with all the 'haters" these days. hating unc, hating kentucky, hating hating.
i dont like them either, but im not going to bash them.

this forum should focus on duke men's basketball more.

elvis14
10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
whats going on with all the 'haters" these days. hating unc, hating kentucky, hating hating.
i dont like them either, but im not going to bash them.

this forum should focus on duke men's basketball more.

Living in the Triangle and being inundated with UNC fans every day, I have developed a healthy dislike for all things UNC. I'll bash them, hate them, etc. That said, I agree 100% with your last statement that this forum should focus much more Duke hoops. It seems like 1/2 the posts on the main board are UNC-based or have morphed into UNC banter. I know that'll ease up once the season starts and we have more real hoops topics to disucss but I'd like to see it stop now so we don't degrade to be more like IC.

I try not to bash or hate anyone other than UNC although there are programs that I don't care for (i.e. UConn).

houstondukie
10-29-2009, 06:08 PM

There are so many things wrong with your post:

1.) There is no way Bledsoe or Miller are leaving after this season. Even Orton is stretch. I'll give you Patterson, Wall, and Cousins.

2.) They are still in the running, maybe even favorites, for players like Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Tobias Harris, Terrance Jones, CJ Leslie, and some others that I can't think of right now.

3.) The same things were said last year after Roy Williams missed out on Al-Faroq Aminu, Delvon Roe, Demar Derozen, Samardo Samuels, etc. He eventually landed Ed Davis.

JDev
10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I think the misses are an obvious and inevitable by-product of offering so many players. In an effort to make sure he lands someone, Cal is offering several people at seemingly each position. He offered Duke's future PG Irving, but also has standing offers to Selby and Knight. That strategy can work for or against you I suppose. Sometimes kids want to know they are a priority. I think that probably has somehthing to do with why, IMO, KI never really considered UK (that and his affinity for Duke of course). I am curious to see if the volume recruiting works, or if a lot of elite players are turned of by it. He obviously landed a monster 2009 class, but he really started employing this tactic with the 2010 group, so it remains to be seen.

yancem
10-29-2009, 06:28 PM

1.) There is no way Bledsoe or Miller are leaving after this season. Even Orton is stretch. I'll give you Patterson, Wall, and Cousins.

2.) They are still in the running, maybe even favorites, for players like Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Tobias Harris, Terrance Jones, CJ Leslie, and some others that I can't think of right now.

3.) The same things were said last year after Roy Williams missed out on Al-Faroq Aminu, Delvon Roe, Demar Derozen, Samardo Samuels, etc. He eventually landed Ed Davis.

Basically, I agree with your points with the exception of "There is no way Bledsoe or Miller are leaving after this season." While I agree that it is unlikely that Bledsoe has the kind of year that makes him a legit first rounder (especially playing beside/behind Wall), that doesn't necessarily mean he's wearing a Kentucky jersey next year. He could have a good enough year to work himself into a second rounder, which may be good enough for him. He had academic issues in high school so he may struggle to remain eligible (even at Kentucky?). Or Knight might sign with Kentucky and he might decide he would rather transfer than sit behind another stud pg for another year.

All of these scenarios are plausible and therefore there at least three ways that Bledsoe leaves after this season.

CEF1959
10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I think the misses are an obvious and inevitable by-product of offering so many players. In an effort to make sure he lands someone, Cal is offering several people at seemingly each position. He offered Duke's future PG Irving, but also has standing offers to Selby and Knight. That strategy can work for or against you I suppose. Sometimes kids want to know they are a priority. I think that probably has somehthing to do with why, IMO, KI never really considered UK (that and his affinity for Duke of course). I am curious to see if the volume recruiting works, or if a lot of elite players are turned of by it. He obviously landed a monster 2009 class, but he really started employing this tactic with the 2010 group, so it remains to be seen.

There are a lot of things to fault Cal on, but I won't question the effectiveness of his recruiting tactics. The morality of them? Sure. The legality of them? Sure. If he thinks lots of offers works for him in landing really good players, I think his record suggests he knows what works. Even if he does leave a clutter of mangled bodies in his wake.

FireOgilvie
10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Basically, I agree with your points with the exception of "There is no way Bledsoe or Miller are leaving after this season." While I agree that it is unlikely that Bledsoe has the kind of year that makes him a legit first rounder (especially playing beside/behind Wall), that doesn't necessarily mean he's wearing a Kentucky jersey next year. He could have a good enough year to work himself into a second rounder, which may be good enough for him. He had academic issues in high school so he may struggle to remain eligible (even at Kentucky?). Or Knight might sign with Kentucky and he might decide he would rather transfer than sit behind another stud pg for another year.

All of these scenarios are plausible and therefore there at least three ways that Bledsoe leaves after this season.

From everything I've heard, Bledsoe is going to start this year at Kentucky with Wall, and I'm sure he'd start next year with Knight or Selby as well. I don't see why he would possibly transfer. Transferring would mean sitting out a year and I really don't see that happening when he'll undoubtedly be starting. Also, if you expect Bledsoe to struggle, then you should probably expect about half the team there to be ineligible next year. I have a feeling they'll all be fine.

I also am guessing that they land either Selby and Knight, and at least one of the other 5 star guys they are going after (Leslie, Harris, etc). However, as far as winning a championship, this year is probably looking better than next year for them.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Wall still not eligible (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/163294.html)as of Oct. 29th...

UrinalCake
10-30-2009, 06:28 AM
I could see academics as being a factor for Bledsoe. If you know you're leaving after a year, then you only really need to keep yourself eligible for one semester. That said, if UK has SIX players leave early (as the OP suggests could happen in a worse-case-scenario for them) then that probably means they won the national championship.

As for Cal's recruiting practices, I'm wondering when the graduation rate requirements will catch up to him?

BD80
10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
... As for Cal's recruiting practices, I'm wondering when the graduation rate requirements will catch up to him?

In a few years he is going to have to decide which is more limiting, the NBA salary cap or the NCAA academic progress requirements.

BD80
11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Cal misses another one, loses again to Mich State.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/11/breaking-brandan-kearney-to-michigan.html

Not a program-changing recruit, but more evidence that the wide net isn't always best.

BD80
11-21-2009, 01:55 AM

Tobias Harris to Tennessee.

Terrence Jones probably staying in NW, close to home.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/11/terrence-jones-may-play-basketball.html

My point is not to rip Cal, at least not my primary motivation.

I point these misses out to those critical of Coach K's recruiting, who have used Calipari as an example of the "wider net" we should be casting.