PDA

View Full Version : Notes from women's media day

jimsumner
10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Duke slowly is getting healthy. Selby is recovering from mono and knee problems, KJ is rehabbing her left shoulder. Selby has been cleared for practice, KJ has not.

Duke is the only team in the country playing Connecticut, Stanford, and Ohio State, the likely top three teams in the pre-season polls. McCallie enthusiastically endorsed the tough schedule. "You have to play the best to be the best. I'm not interested in being undefeated without a challenge."

McCallie hopes for a balanced attack, with lots of options. Wants to be a diffucult team to scout and prepare for. Expects to get points off defense. Says you can't order someone to be a go-to-scorer. "Balanced scoring is the way the game is meant to be played."

Despite losing Chante Black, Duke still expects its post players to touch the ball regularly. Bigs need to be more assertive in demanding the ball down low.

Still, look for more 1 in/four out sets. Duke will set more screens for its guards. Duke wants better spacing in order to create room for driving.

Lots of buzz about junior guard Jasmine Thomas, who is pre-season first-team All-ACC. Duke will look for ways to get the ball to her. Coach P describes Thomas as quicker, stronger, more confident, and doing a better job of involving her teammates. Duke will play her some at the 2, with either Keturah Jackson or Chelsea Hopkins handling the point.

Reducing turnovers is a priority. McCallie used the word "abhorrent." She thinks lack of focus is the problem. Simplify and make extra pass.

Joey Cheek is the vocal leader. She says that the main applicable lesson she learned this summer was the value of communication. Duke needs her to be a "dangerous" player.

Most improved player is Bridgette Mitchell, described by KJ as being more aggressive, confident, vocal." Bee says she is trying to convert her defensive aggressiveness into offensive aggressiveness.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks very much for the update Jim...I didn't realize we were so banged up. I'm anxiously looking forward to this season, I have seaon tickets for the first time, but won't be able to see but a few games. (The women's schedule is not kind to out of towners). I love our tough schedule..just like last year. You mentioned we are the only team playing Uconn, Stanford and Ohio State...plus we have the heels twice, and the rest of the best conference in women's basketball. I love that McCallie seeks the best, like Gail did before and K does as always.

uh_no
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks very much for the update Jim...I didn't realize we were so banged up. I'm anxiously looking forward to this season, I have seaon tickets for the first time, but won't be able to see but a few games. (The women's schedule is not kind to out of towners). I love our tough schedule..just like last year. You mentioned we are the only team playing Uconn, Stanford and Ohio State...plus we have the heels twice, and the rest of the best conference in women's basketball. I love that McCallie seeks the best, like Gail did before and K does as always.

hm

i seem to recall two big east teams playing for the title last year.....

Indoor66
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
hm

i seem to recall two big east teams playing for the title last year.....

uh, top to bottom.

miramar
10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I have no doubt that WBB will play outstanding defense once again, but we definitely need a balanced attack with fewer turnovers. Women's teams tend to have more turnovers than assists, but Duke shouldn't be at 40% over. I'm also glad to hear that Jasmine Thomas is doing a better job of involving her teammates since in the past she has often had to hang on to the ball in order to score. On the down side, it's unfortunate that one of the two point guards is injured since that's one of the keys to all this. Finally, I hope Joy Cheek will have a big senior season, but she needs to attack the basket and forget the threes, which are just not her strength.