PDA

View Full Version : On-field Duke Men's LAX news

Tom B.
04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I wasn't sure if this should be on the lacrosse board or the main board, but I felt the accomplishment was significant enough to deserve posting on the main board.

Duke lacrosse coach John Danowski was named ACC Coach of the Year today. His son, Matt Danowski, was named ACC Player of the Year.

Link. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=877477)

Whatever you may think about the lacrosse case and the issues surrounding it, the performance of the men's lacrosse team this year should be a source of pride for Blue Devils everywhere. Congratulations Coach D and Matt, and good luck in the ACC Tournament and beyond.

Incidentally, Duke will be hosting the ACC Men's Lacrosse Tournament at Koskinen Stadium beginning tomorrow, April 27. Duke will play North Carolina at 8:30 PM, and the finals will be on Sunday, April 29, at 3:30 PM. All four teams in the ACC Tournament are ranked in the Top 10 of the USILA national poll. If you're in the area and have the time, please consider going to the games and showing your support for Duke lacrosse.

For those of you who can't be there in person, I believe that the finals will be televised by Fox SportsNet.

Mike Corey
04-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Mods, I do apologize for posting this in the hoops forum, but with the hopes of maximizing the number of people aware of Duke's presence in the ACC championship game Sunday afternoon, I hope you'll forgive me for this breach of the rules.

The men's lacrosse team takes on Virginia (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=878287) tomorrow at 3:30 at Duke's Koskinen Stadium in the ACC lacrosse championship. The Blue Devils have come a long way from the start of the season, when they took down Dartmouth in front of a nearly-record-setting crowd.

So if you're in the Durham area, I hope you'll be able to make it out to support the Blue Devils in their quest: Succisa verescit.

JBDuke
04-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Just so you guys and everyone else knows, the consensus amongst the moderators is that legit, on the field lacrosse news belongs here, on the King Forum, while news related to the lacrosse incident last year should remain on the Lacrosse Forum.

We will monitor Lacrosse threads on the King forum and delete or move to the Lacrosse Forum any posts that discuss the incident and its aftermath.

dcarp23
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=878882

On a side note, according to GoDuke.com, Duke Athletics had 12 teams achieve a top 10 ranking at one point in the season. Solid year for the program.

freedevil
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Danowski played unreal today. Great win!

chrishoke
04-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Congrats to the team and coaching staff on a great ACC Championship. You are right, Dano was superb. All the seniors were. Also, nice crowd - the Duke community has really gotten behind this team. Duke will be the #2 seed in the NCAA Tourny and will get at least one home game.

merry
04-29-2007, 07:52 PM
That was a fantastic game! Dano played great both days and it seemed like every time there was an assist it was Greer. I can't believe I didn't Tivo the championships game! Some of the plays we saw were just unreal. Nice day for it too and good turnout as others have already said. Go Duke!

burnspbesq
04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
That was a fantastic game! Dano played great both days and it seemed like every time there was an assist it was Greer. I can't believe I didn't Tivo the championships game! Some of the plays we saw were just unreal. Nice day for it too and good turnout as others have already said. Go Duke!

There is a replay on Fox College Sports Pacific at 12:30 a.m. Pacific time on Monday.

terrih
04-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Great game. I had DVR'd it from earlier today. Fun to see they won. Congrats!

WiJoe
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Kudos and sincere congratulations to the Duke men's lacrosse team and everyone on campus - student, athletes, staff and supportive faculty. It's a wonderful accomplishment. Here's to a run that's all the way in the NCAA tournament.

;)

captmojo
04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
After all this team's been through it only makes one wonder about what might have been last year as well. Great game, great season and best wishes for the nationals!

cspan37421
05-05-2007, 02:15 PM
When does the NCAA Men's lacrosse tournament get announced? I want to follow the team's progress. A title would be the icing on the cake o'vindication.

4decadedukie
05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
When does the NCAA Men's lacrosse tournament get announced? I want to follow the team's progress. A title would be the icing on the cake o'vindication.

The NCAA Men’s Division I selection/bracketing show is broadcast on ESPN-U, Sunday, 6 May, at 2100 (9:00 PM). I suspect Duke will be the second overall seed, behind Cornell. We have a mission, this is our year.

chrishoke
05-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Is the Final Four in Baltimore again?

heyman25
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Last regular season game. Many great looking women and Mike Dunleavey, Jr took in the victory over Air Force.

chrishoke
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Duke gets the #1 seed in the NCAA Tourny.

burnspbesq
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
The bracket is up, at http://www.ncaasports.com/lacrosse/mens/brackets/straight16_dyn/2007/DI

Duke as the top seed isn't a real stretch, as the Blue Devils are number one in the RPI and have seven wins over top 10 teams.

Seeding Virginia and Hopkins ahead of Cornell can't be justified under any theory that I can come up with. The last remaining unbeaten team, number one in every poll, with a win over Duke at Duke, is the four seed??? It's hardly their fault that the rest of the Ivy League sucks, thereby dragging down the Big Red's SOS. Yo, committee, please 'splain. :confused:

So, Duke gets Providence in the first round. If they advance, they play either Carolina or Navy in the quarters, at Navy. If seeding holds all the way to Baltimore, they play Cornell in the semis.

Duke was done no favors here.

Lavabe
05-07-2007, 01:31 AM
So, Duke gets Providence in the first round. If they advance, they play either Carolina or Navy in the quarters, at Navy. If seeding holds all the way to Baltimore, they play Cornell in the semis.

Duke was done no favors here.

A potential matchup with UNC... any impact on the Carlyle Cup?

Cheers,
Lavabe

chrishoke
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
A potential matchup with UNC... any impact on the Carlyle Cup?

Cheers,
Lavabe

No. We have already beat them twice.

ACCBBallFan
05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I do not follow lacrosse but seedings seem odd that with 4 ACC teams, the committee would not at least put them on opposite sides of the bracket rather than if they all win Duke-UNC and UVA-MD in second round. Would be better if there was no possiblity if league opponent unless they each won two games in tourney.

Another reason why Hopkins second and UVA third might make more sense.

burnspbesq
05-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I do not follow lacrosse but seedings seem odd that with 4 ACC teams, the committee would not at least put them on opposite sides of the bracket rather than if they all win Duke-UNC and UVA-MD in second round. Would be better if there was no possiblity if league opponent unless they each won two games in tourney.

Another reason why Hopkins second and UVA third might make more sense.

The problem there is that seeding Maryland and Carolina 7 and 8 seems to be spot-on (although Navy probably doesn't agree). Unless you seed Cornell and Hopkins 1 and 2, which couldn't have been justified, you pretty much inevitably get an ACC rematch in the second round.

FWIW, here's how I would have ranked the eight seeded teams.

1. Duke
2. Cornell
3. Virginia
4. Georgetown
5. Hopkins
6. Albany
7. Carolina
8. Maryland

TillyGalore
05-08-2007, 01:21 PM
As Duke is seeded #1 , is it safe to assume the game on Saturday, May 12th will be at Duke?

burnspbesq
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
It is a known fact. Duke plays Providence at noon EDT Saturday at Koskinen.

SmartDevil
05-12-2007, 02:42 AM
Best of luck to our talented and determined lacrosse team as the NCAA men's tourney begins this wknd ! We'll all be rooting for them !

I'll bet they feel a deep motivation to show themselves the champions they are and at the same time pay homage to the three wrongly-accused LAX players.

Tchoupitoulas
05-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Duke v. UNC today at 3:00 p.m. in NCAA quarter finals, right? Any links to articles or other buzz before the game?

Tchoup.

Indoor66
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Comcast - Pompano Beach, CSS (41) is carrying the game at 3:00. Maybe it is on other in areas?

LetItBD08
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
The NCAA Sports website has a list of the channels it will be on:

http://www.ncaasports.com/broadcast/schedule/07_lax_champ

Here's a link to the main Men's Lacrosse website:

http://www.ncaasports.com/lacrosse/mens

jimsumner
05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Duke fell behind 6-1 early but dominated the last 3/4 of game, winning 19-11.
Big game for Greer, 7 goals, Danowksi 4 goals, 6 assists.

Stray Gator
05-20-2007, 05:19 PM
The Duke Men's Lacrosse team came back from an 8-5 halftime deficit to defeat UNC by a score of 19-11. Go Devils!

burnspbesq
05-20-2007, 05:21 PM
After being down 6-1 early in the second quarter, Duke stormed back and walloped the Tar Heels, 19-11. Duke outscored Carolina 14-3 in the second half.

Zack Greer had a day that attackmen dream of, scoring seven goals on only nine shots.

On to Baltimore! Duke will face Cornell in the national semifinals on Saturday afternoon. It will be Johns Hopkins against Delaware in the other semi.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Great win, great comeback! On to Baltimore and the Final Four!:D

Kewlswim
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I am just so happy for those kids. For the program. For Duke. OK I'll stop gloating now, but just because it isn't proper.

GO DUKE!

chrishoke
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Both Men And Women In The Final 4.

terrih
05-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Way to go guys! I had to hunt around thru ESPN but finally found a place I could update periodically to see the score. Awesome comeback and so happy for the team.

Good luck in the Final Four.

godukecom
05-20-2007, 05:59 PM
if you go through the ncaa lacrosse website and click scoreboard, there is option for gametracker...

VaDukie
05-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Want them to win it all almost as much as a men's bball title considering everything that's happened?

adam
05-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm a little ashamed to admit I'd never watched a lacrosse game prior to today. I'm guessing that has something to do with having lived on the left coast nearly all my life. Anyway... After watching the Duke vs Carolina game today on ESPN-U, I'm hooked. Great game Blue Devils! Go DUKE!!! :)

captmojo
05-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Gloat away! Holes go down! Holes go down!

Woo Hoo indeed!

cspan37421
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Lax can be an interesting game to watch. I remember watching final four games in the past and while it took some adjustment to appreciate the flow of the game, it was interesting how you could go behind the goal (a la ice hockey). The shape of the goal opening itself is unusual too.

Go Duke! A title would be both magnificent and ironic. Dual titles would be most sweet. However they do I'm proud of them. Sportswriters and broadcasters must feel a little weird knowing that a Duke victory will sell a lot more papers and get higher ratings than any other outcome.

HK Dukie
05-20-2007, 11:48 PM
What an amazing comback. They had some arena football game on TV around here before FSN tuned into the game. We were down 8-4 at the time. To see the team score 15 vs 3 for Carolina was just insanely awesome.

I'm thinking about making the trip down for the final four. GO DUKE!!

MrBisonDevil
05-21-2007, 01:03 AM
My favorite moment of the match: When the the UNC Goalie scored one FOR DUKE!!! Cool game. My 1st full lacrosse game ever. Fun to watch!

NYC Duke Fan
05-21-2007, 02:29 AM
After being down 6-1 early in the second quarter, Duke stormed back and walloped the Tar Heels, 19-11. Duke outscored Carolina 14-3 in the second half.

Zack Greer had a day that attackmen dream of, scoring seven goals on only nine shots.

On to Baltimore! Duke will face Cornell in the national semifinals on Saturday afternoon. It will be Johns Hopkins against Delaware in the other semi.

In the Final USILA Coaches poll, Cornell was ranked 1, Duke 2, Hopkins 5, and Deleware 15
. How come Duke is playing Cornell in a semi-final game ?

burnspbesq
05-21-2007, 04:44 AM
In the Final USILA Coaches poll, Cornell was ranked 1, Duke 2, Hopkins 5, and Deleware 15
. How come Duke is playing Cornell in a semi-final game ?

Selection committee didn't think much of Cornell's schedule.

chrishoke
05-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Selection committee didn't think much of Cornell's schedule.

Yes, but Cornell did beat Duke at Duke this year, and are undefeated.

burnspbesq
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes, but Cornell did beat Duke at Duke this year, and are undefeated.

I'm on record as saying that Cornell should have been seeded higher than fourth, because they shouldn't be penalized for being in the Ivy League, but even their non-conference SOS was pretty lame. I will freely admit that no one really expected Syracuse to suck this year, but the Big Red ended up only playing two games against teams that made the tournament (Duke and Notre Dame). If they had played (and beaten) Navy instead of Army, and Colgate or Albany instead of Binghamton, and UMass instead of Hobart, they might have a legitimate beef.

Duke earned that number one seed by running roughshod over the ACC in a year in which the ACC killed all comers, and by playing five non-conference games against teams that made the tournament. Duke was 7-1 against teams that were in the top 10 in the final regular-season coaches poll, and 8-2 against the tournament field.

If you dig back a few weeks in the archive at insidelacrosse.com, all of the facts that probably led the selection committee to the decisions it made are there.

TheTrain
05-21-2007, 12:17 PM
IIRC, the anchor of Duke's defense, Tony McDevitt was injured and did not play in either of Duke's losses

Noteware
05-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Two years ago when Duke played in the FF in Philadelphia, some Duke organization (I can't recall whether it was the school or the alumni group) had a tailgate and arranged for tickets in a block. Are they doing that again? Are they doing it for the women?

Kewlswim
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Not sure on what board this belongs. If the men's Duke LAX team wins a NC can they give the three wrongly accused players who are no longer with the team a NC ring or would that be against NCAA rules?

GO DUKE!

greybeard
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
"I will freely admit that no one really expected Syracuse to suck this year, but the Big Red ended up only playing two games against teams that made the tournament (Duke and Notre Dame). If they had played (and beaten) Navy instead of Army, and Colgate or Albany instead of Binghamton, and UMass instead of Hobart, they might have a legitimate beef."

Excuse me boys, but if you check, I think that you will find that the Ivies have won more than their share of NCAA titles. Cornell, I believe, has three of em, all coming during the first four NCAA tournaments in the history of the world. Cornell's coach from that era, Richie Moran, made modern college LAX what it is.

It should be a terrific game. I am trying to think of a way for the Big Red fans to pay due tribute to a terrific Duke team, after our guys mop the floor with them. Actually, having been a fan of Cornell LAX since before it was a Division I sport, when Cornell's fabeled Hockey Coach Ned Harkness took over the LAX team after its coach dropped dead and then brought some of his hockey players along to show the rest of the LAX playing world how it was done (go Harry Orr whereever you are), I am terribly conflicted about this one.

Lacrosse is a great spectator sport, and the Duke program has stood tall in it for several years now. You all should come up to Baltimore and honor your guys. There will be many wearing Red who I can assure you will be doing the same. Go Big Red (or is it Blue)!

burnspbesq
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
"I will freely admit that no one really expected Syracuse to suck this year, but the Big Red ended up only playing two games against teams that made the tournament (Duke and Notre Dame). If they had played (and beaten) Navy instead of Army, and Colgate or Albany instead of Binghamton, and UMass instead of Hobart, they might have a legitimate beef."

Excuse me boys, but if you check, I think that you will find that the Ivies have won more than their share of NCAA titles. Cornell, I believe, has three of em, all coming during the first four NCAA tournaments in the history of the world. Cornell's coach from that era, Richie Moran, made modern college LAX what it is.

It should be a terrific game. I am trying to think of a way for the Big Red fans to pay due tribute to a terrific Duke team, after our guys mop the floor with them. Actually, having been a fan of Cornell LAX since before it was a Division I sport, when Cornell's fabeled Hockey Coach Ned Harkness took over the LAX team after its coach dropped dead and then brought some of his hockey players along to show the rest of the LAX playing world how it was done (go Harry Orr whereever you are), I am terribly conflicted about this one.

Lacrosse is a great spectator sport, and the Duke program has stood tall in it for several years now. You all should come up to Baltimore and honor your guys. There will be many wearing Red who I can assure you will be doing the same. Go Big Red (or is it Blue)!

Where to start, where to start ...

Yes, Cornell did win three NCAA championships in men's lax, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away. How long ago? Well, I think Bruce Arena played for a couple of those NCAA championship Cornell teams, and schools like Washington & Lee, Washington College, and Roanoke played D1 lax in those days. Most sports fans under the age of 40 don't even know Bruce played lacrosse. As you will undoubtedly be remined many times this week, this is Cornell's first appearance in the Final Four in 19 years.

If you sincerely believe that Cornell is going to "mop the floor" with Duke on Saturday, I'd like a pound of what you're smoking. Seriously, did you watch the second half of yesterday's Duke - Carolina game? THAT's the Duke team that you will be facing this week, not the one you beat in March.

One more thing: before you start canonizing Ned Harkness, it's useful to inquire as to whether there are any Union alumni in the room. We have a slightly different take on that subject.

Have a great time in Baltimore on Saturday, and enjoy whatever you end up doing in lieu of watching Duke and Hopkins on Monday.

burnspbesq
05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi,

Not sure on what board this belongs. If the men's Duke LAX team wins a NC can they give the three wrongly accused players who are no longer with the team a NC ring or would that be against NCAA rules?

GO DUKE!

Don't know about that, but I do hope that they can give Dave, Reade, and Colin sideline passes for the weekend. If Duke wins the championship, they should be part of the celebration.

greybeard
05-21-2007, 04:42 PM
The championship I saw them win was against Hopkins and they killed them. Rich Moran is the best LAX coach of all time. Period. The player who invented the modern offensive game played under Harkness, an all-american in soccer and lax by the name of Bruce Cohen, who scored the single most spectacular goal in any sport that has ever been scored by anyone in 1967 against Navy.

Harkness won three or was it four national championships in Hockey at Cornell. I don't get your reference to "Union;" I recall that, before he coached at Cornell, he won a national championship at RPI. There was no afterwards, as I believe Ned dropped dead while coaching in the garden spot in Ithaca.

Look, who did you guys beat last weekend? UNC. You call that competition. Their goalie scored an own goal for g-d's sake. We beat Albany. You spend a day in that town and then we can talk. Anybody who can chew gum and play sports and does it in Albany has to be a complete animal. You just don't know what you guys are gonna be in for.

As for making the NCAA's, I read in the alumni news that, after we won three of the first four, the NCAA votd to keep us out, which we agreed to voluntarily, for exactly 19 years, or they was gonna investigate how Ned got all those Canadians into the Hotel school, and convinced anyone that they actually went to class, as in ever. You think that the LAX players had a bad rep; Harry and his teammates were quite the sight when they took over Jim's after practice; they'd take out their front teeth and put them in a glass of beer, no stinkin water for them, and control the joint until closing time every night. Student athletes, you are kidding me, right?

This is like them bugs that come back every 17 years (the winters in Ithaca are cold, kills brain cells); your poor Dukies are gonna get swarmed.

Actually, I don't get the U and didn't see the game. Just the highlights. Pretty awesome. Harry, where are you when we need you. BTW, another little bit of history; I used to watch quite a bit of lacrosse at Cornell when I was there. Never saw an underhand shot until Ned took over, brought Harry (an All American defenseman in Hockey with a wicked slap shot) and other hockey players onto the field, and Harry would charge down, wind up from thirty yards and zing it. Nobody knew what hit them.

Go Big Red!

P.S. A word about Arena. He was a Long Island boy, South Shore. I believe that he was from the same town or a neighboring one to Bruce Cohen's home town.

greybeard
05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Don't know about that, but I do hope that they can give Dave, Reade, and Colin sideline passes for the weekend. If Duke wins the championship, they should be part of the celebration.

Whoever wins the championship, they should be part of it!

monarch34
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
... This is like them bugs that come back every 17 years (the winters in Ithaca are cold, kills brain cells); your poor Dukies are gonna get swarmed ...
Go Big Red! .

You certainly have a right to talk smack before the game. Having beaten us in March you have earned that right. I don't know how the game will come out, but I suspect the Big Red will have a pretty good fight on their hands. Something tells me that the Duke team playing now is a much improved and battle-hardened team from the Duke team that narrowly lost to Cornell in March. As for many of the Duke fans who are wearing their emotions on their sleeves for this team, please forgive us if Cornell or other fans see it as poor sportsmanship, but I suspect anyone who has watched the national news over the past year can fully understand why Duke fans are supporting this team so much at present. For many of us, it feels like they now have destiny on their sides to even out (even if only to a very small extent) the injustice that they had to deal with for 13 months. Time will tell whether that feeling proves accurate or not.

burnspbesq
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
The championship I saw them win was against Hopkins and they killed them. Rich Moran is the best LAX coach of all time. Period. The player who invented the modern offensive game played under Harkness, an all-american in soccer and lax by the name of Bruce Cohen, who scored the single most spectacular goal in any sport that has ever been scored by anyone in 1967 against Navy.

Boy, we're going to have some fun this week, aren't we?

Hmmm ... most spectacular goal in any sport? That's a brave claim. Ever heard of Pele? How about Bobby Orr? I had a neighbor growing up who was a rower at Dartmouth in the late 1950s. I've heard some stories about Jim Brown doing things on the lacrosse field that are hard to imagine doing with modern equipment, much less with the trees that masqueraded as sticks at that time.

Harkness won three or was it four national championships in Hockey at Cornell. I don't get your reference to "Union;" I recall that, before he coached at Cornell, he won a national championship at RPI. There was no afterwards, as I believe Ned dropped dead while coaching in the garden spot in Ithaca..

Ned cheated everywhere he coached, with the possible exception of the NHL. Unfortunately for him, at Union we didn't have Statler High or a forestry school in which to hide academically suspect athletes, so the first generation of Harkness-era Union hockey players either cheated or flunked out, or both. He broke every rule our league had about recruiting, and lied to the president of the college about it. The "allegations" referred to in the Wikipedia bio linked below are all true. I witnessed some of them, on my floor in Davidson House at Union my sophomore and junior years. Ned is actually still alive, at age 85, and living in Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Harkness

Look, who did you guys beat last weekend? UNC. You call that competition. We beat Albany.

Umm, yeah, I kinda do. Carolina finished the season 10-6. All six losses were to teams that made the tournament (three to Duke -- oh, man, do I like the sound of that -- and one each to Virginia, Maryland, and Navy). Albany lost to Binghamton, for cryin' out loud. Carolina and Albany had two common opponents this season: Vermont and Dartmouth. Both handled the Cats pretty easily. Carolina killed Dartmouth. Albany beat Dartmouth by one goal. Who had the tougher quarterfinal opponent, Duke or Cornell? The seedings tell one story, the facts seem to tell another.

You spend a day in that town and then we can talk. Anybody who can chew gum and play sports and does it in Albany has to be a complete animal. You just don't know what you guys are gonna be in for.

Yeah yeah yeah. My birth certificate says "Albany" on it. My grandfather and uncle were cops in Albany. I kinda know my way around a little. The U at A (what kinda name is that, anyway?) is a perfectly respectable Tier 2 state school, and it's not in the South End. Nobody gets in there without respectable academics, and you don't need an AK to get to class safely.

greybeard
05-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow! I spent a year in Albany one day myself. I wasn't referring to how tough the town was, just how boring. That said, good old Albany made the NCAAs in two sports, and actually gave a really good team in basketball more than a run for its money (I don't recall which one).

As for Harkness, I think you are making some pretty wild accusations. He had some extraordinary student athletes when I was there: Ken Dryden, whom everyone has heard of, yes, a guy named Huges who daughter won gold in the 2000 Olympics in skating and who is a big time transactional lawyer on the Island, Hughes' linemate and fellow two time all american Bryan Cornell, who aced a difficult Roman History course we used to study together for, to name a few. And, the LAX guys who inherited him after their coach died loved the guy. None were recruited by him, and the ones I know are class, class acts. Watch it there Burnie, slandar is actionable.

Hey, if you can't woof a bit after 19 years what is life for? I have no idea who will win, and won't be unhappy whoever does. Far from it. That said, I read up some on Cornell and, if you think that they didn't earn their undefeated season, you aren't half the sports guy you appear to be. Both teams have grown since they last met when they played pretty even; my guess is that it will be the same this time. Both teams have size athleticism, great goal keepers, and are lead by a star mid who are in the top five finalists for player of the year (both are big, strong, and fast, and terrifically skilled at the game, and play in the clutch).

Finally, while I am completely in the bag for the 2006 Duke LAX team and the Duke III, this ain't about them. This is about the 2007 team, which really is quite a group. The entire field, I'd like to believe, is playing this one for the 2006 Team, whose carriage during the most difficult season of them all did credit to the game that all these athletes love. Best of luck to the 2007 team, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for the best goal ever, you really had to be there. Navy leading 9-8, Spring Weekend on the Hill, Bruce had scored just about all our goals, Navy is controlling the ball and with 30 seconds, we steal it and call time out. People in Brooklyn know who is getting the ball and all 11 guys on Navy (they do play with 11 right) are waiting for it. Bruce gets the ball 60 yards from goal, and weaves his way threw the 10 field player, spinning around the last guy only to have the goal keeper come out and challenge him. Bruce dives over the guy, I mean up and over and as he lands on his chest extends his stick and the ball rolls out and enters the net as the whistle blows.

I ran into an All Ivy tackle in football who also played on that LAX team at an event last year, and we started talking old times. I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming (you've heard how those days were) and as soon as I began to mention it, you should have heard old Vandermeade brighten up and describe in vivid detail the play. It was sick. A scene from a B movie, only it really happened, and Navy really could play.

NYC Duke Fan
05-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I just read that Coach Danowski is on a one year contract. No matter what happens from here on in, if Alleva does give him an extension for the dynamite job that he has done then I will join the ,"Fire Alleva ", camp.

jimsumner
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/lacrosse/bal-dukelax0523,0,3433476.story?coll=bal-college-lacrosse

duke74
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Assume you meant "does NOT" give him.....

chrishoke
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Wow. Thanks, Jim. Since most Duke atheletes graduate in 4 years and since most lacrosse players, maybe all, are not on full scholarship, it seems improbable that many would take advantage of the opportunity if given. Still, I am glad that Duke is showing some visible support for these guys.:)

unexpected
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I thought about posting this on the LAX board, but I don't think this fits the nature of discussion on that board.

In any case, Alleva and Co. are petitioning the NCAA to get one more season of eligibility for the players who lost a year last year. I think they basically want to call it a redshirt year for everyone involved.

Interesting, but I don't think they get it. They already played almost half of their regular season by the time everything went down. Alleva does say that he already asked all the other schools in the ACC, and that they're okay with it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/05/23/bc.dukelacrosse.ap/index.html

Indoor66
05-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Amazing for an AD who does "not" support Duke teams and players and coaches!

devildeac
05-26-2007, 03:26 PM
game on espn2 in triangle:

end Q1: Duke-3 Cornell-3 not knowing much about the game of lax, I thought Danowski and Greer worked nicely with a goal added also by Crotty. Defense looked suspect (maybe too much dribble penetration?:p )

Karl Beem
05-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Duke 7-3 at the half.

captmojo
05-26-2007, 03:56 PM
4 goals in last 5 minutes. Great action--keep it up! No clock killing.

SilkyJ
05-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Loftus (goalie) has been the man of the match. They have about twice as many shots on goal...although we have had about 4 or 5 go off the post and cornell come up with the loose ball, so that is part of the reason. (normally if shots just miss all together then the team on offense gets the ball back)

devildeac
05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
late 3rd Q, now Duke-10, Cornell-3(8 straight goals after being down 2-3). We need a lead more than 9 goals(or more than 17 points-oops, wrong sport) and no delay game to play on Memorial Day. Go Devils!

Kewlswim
05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I have a feeling the Big Red will make a big run. It is 10-6 at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

GO DUKE!

adam
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Cornell scores 3 straight to end the 3rd quarter. Duke still up 10-6.

Lavabe
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
10-6 start of the 4th ... UH OH.

Cheers,
Lavabe

phaedrus
05-26-2007, 04:38 PM
time for stall ball!

Kewlswim
05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
time for stall ball!

NO! Go after it Duke!

GO DUKE!

Lavabe
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
11-10 ... 6:20

I'm tired of this nonslaught...

Lavabe

Kewlswim
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Go Duke! Go Duke!

Lavabe
05-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Timeout. 1 goal game.

Don't play stall ball!

GO DUKE!

Lavabe

devildeac
05-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Devils turn it over up 1 with over 1 minute to go and NO foul called. Why does this feel like I am watching hoops?????

Kewlswim
Oh No!

Go Duke!

_Gary
Well, that was truly pathetic. No way should Duke have lost that lead at the end.

Mabdul Doobakus
05-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aalllllllll!

_Gary
Oh my! Never mind!

Lavabe
12-11 Duke...Greer 3 seconds to go... come on!

Kewlswim
Go Duke! Go Duke! Go Duke!

mph
05-26-2007, 05:07 PM
What a finish! Go Devils!

homebre
Against my graduate school team--loses to my undergraduate school.

Andy from Hillsborough

BlueDevilBaby
Duke wins! Duke wins! Can you believe that? Awesome!:D

devildeac
05-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Greer fights off a defender with 3 sec to go and wins it for the good guys. WOW!!!

VaDukie
Wow what a finish!

_Gary
Wow! I really thought they had given that game away, but they found a way to gut it out and win! Great job, men!

godukecom
05-26-2007, 05:09 PM
i have NEVER screamed louder...
while watching gametracker

adam
05-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Unbelievable. Great game, Blue Devils!!! :)

calltheobvious
05-26-2007, 05:11 PM
How do I spell relief?

G-R-E-E-R

Way to hang in there, boys. Good luck Monday.

Lavabe
05-26-2007, 05:11 PM
What a vicious last minute!

Anything left in the tank to play the Blue Jays?

Cheers,
Lavabe

grossbus
05-26-2007, 05:14 PM
the team was really dragging at the end. could not clear on the two steals before their tying score. that play by greer was STRONG. good thing, too. don't know if they would have made it onto the field for the OT.

rest, men, rest.

burnspbesq
05-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Huge props to freshman midfielder Terence Molinari. After being dominated on faceoffs for the entire second half, he wins the one that Duke absolutely needed.

I was screaming at Lamade to shoot. He's a bit smarter than me.

Cornell made two really smart adjustments to get back in the game. First, they made Greer disappear by putting a guy on him with instructions to never slide. That made it virtually impossible to get the ball to him down the stretch. The key word there, or course, is "virtually." Second, they exposed the defensive weaknesses of our second midfield by inverting and forcing them to defend one-on-one behind the net. Those can be major issues on Monday.

Biggest issue now is getting physically ready to play on Monday. Especially Loftus. As brilliant as he was in the first half, he was that ordinary down the strech after tweaking an ankle and cramping up.

Wonder if there is a red-eye from LAX to BWI on Sunday night.
C'mon you Devils!

freedevil
05-26-2007, 06:18 PM
That last second goal moves up to my 2nd favorite Duke PLAY of all time (right behind the Laettner shot obviously) [Does not include team accomplishments, like the basketball team's 3 NCAA championships, but still, unreal play]

phaedrus
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
that was indeed laettner-esque. especially the near-impossible pass to get him the ball in that position.

bloodevil
05-26-2007, 06:38 PM
What a finish! I just hope there is enough in the tank physically and emotionally to avenge the '05 loss to JH.

godukecom
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
is ther a vidoe of this on youtube or something?

FireOgilvie
05-26-2007, 07:07 PM
is ther a vidoe of this on youtube or something?

Here is a link to a video of the highlights (which include the goal):

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2883561

bluebear
05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
that was indeed laettner-esque. especially the near-impossible pass to get him the ball in that position.

Hard not thinking about that in watching that play...great pass into a well guarded player and then the clutch shot..incredible win.

grossbus
05-26-2007, 08:00 PM
the bball team didn't see a low post seal like that all season.

mph
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
the bball team didn't see a low post seal like that all season.

Didn't run the break as well either.

greybeard
05-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Burnsie got it right, that kid winning the last faceoff was what defined this game. Guys making plays, and there was none bigger. The kid had lost almost every faceoff all day. Not with 13 seconds left, and with Duke on its heals. Huge.

And, sorry Grant and Christian, the play that followed, it was a nice run while it lasted but that pass and goal was incredible.

Tell you what else was incredible. Cornell in the first quarter plus had been outshot 14 to 9. Cornell, which has oh so potent an offense, but cannot clear the ball from the defensive end for its life (biggest difference between the two teams, imo), went on the offense big time for at least 10 minutes straight. Put 15 shots on goal to Duke's none. Nope, not one of them went in. Then there came what, imo, was the play of the day. Duke turned Cornell over, and a kid threw it like 50 yards in the air, not to someone who was standing still waiting for it, but to a guy who was on the dead run, running on a slant away from the thrower; I think the receiver was number ten. Anyway, the kid caught it over his shoulder without breaking stride, takes a few steps, hit someone streaking down the middle who could have shot but didn't and hit the scorer, I think it was Greer, and it was in the goal.

Turned to my friend Guillermo (Duke 75, goalie soccer team) and said look out. Duke went on a run that was exceptional, and seemed to put the game away.

Let me say a few words about making plays. Both sides did, time and again. But, in addition to the last play, there were at least 2 other instances in which Duke scored within seconds of a Cornell goal. Cornell had one or two of them itself.

Finally, LAX is an incredible skill game, an incredible athletic game, and, at least from what I was able to discern, an incredible class game. Both teams played all out the entire game, which had very few penalties; at the end, there were no hung heads, and no bodies lying on the ground, as if to say, "I can't believe that we didn't win." I'm proud of the Big Red for that; I have to believe also that the Cornell guys behaved that way in no small part because their Duke counterparts earned it.

They'll be ready, count on it.

Atlanta Duke
05-26-2007, 09:53 PM
According to SI.com, there will be one additional supporter in attendance on Monday:

"That's for Pressler! That's for Pressler!"

Less than 10 seconds after junior Zack Greer netted the goal that propelled the Duke men's lacrosse team in to Monday afternoon's championship game with a 12-11 win, that cheer emanated from the front rows of the alumni section behind the team bench....

Pressler was not in attendance on Saturday, but he told SI.com, via phone, on Friday that he would go to the championship game, if Duke made it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kevin_armstrong/05/26/duke.lacrosse/index.html

weezie
05-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Reade Seligmann was there and was graciously posing with fans and signing some autographs.

Mike Dunleavy showed up, too, in the second half.

greybeard
05-26-2007, 11:04 PM
According to SI.com, there will be one additional supporter in attendance on Monday:

"That's for Pressler! That's for Pressler!"

Less than 10 seconds after junior Zack Greer netted the goal that propelled the Duke men's lacrosse team in to Monday afternoon's championship game with a 12-11 win, that cheer emanated from the front rows of the alumni section behind the team bench....

Pressler was not in attendance on Saturday, but he told SI.com, via phone, on Friday that he would go to the championship game, if Duke made it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kevin_armstrong/05/26/duke.lacrosse/index.html

On the thread preceding the game, I tried to downplay this, and I'd still like to. I'd like to think that every kid in this tournament has been playing in part for last year's Duke team, for the incredible courage and character they showed, for what they, as LAX players, had to endure. You still hear stuff, a sport for the "privileged," some columnist wannabe from the Washington Post still dissing them for underage drinking, etc. To me, the qualities displayed on the LAX field this day, not just by Cornell and Duke, but Delaware and JH, speak volumes in refutation.

Spread the weight around, was my thought, let the Duke kids just carry their share, and go out and compete for the Championship free from the extra pressure, the extra weight.

Having watched that game, I realize now that I was living in a dreamworld. This is about a team pursuing a Championship all right, but not alone and not just for themselves. Not only can they carry it, but it would seem at times that "it" seems to impel them on. A sixth man like no other. There, I said it.

BTW, for those of you who weren't there, both teams stayed on the field well after the game ended, visiting with their fans. Both were composed, Duke in a different way then you would expect for a team that just won such a dramatic and important game. But, then again, they have had quality coaching by quality, quality men, and still have one more game to play.

Duke left the field in formation, walking in two lines, sticks over their shoulders, with helmets, and shoulder pads hanging from them. Call me old fashion, but to me that is what sports at their best are all about. The only privilege out there today belonged to those who were there to watch them. Go Duke!!!!

billybreen
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
The only privilege out there today belonged to those who were there to watch them. Go Duke!!!!

Wow, very well said.

burnspbesq
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
The hit that Nick O'Hara laid on Siebald in the first minute of the game?

That's the hit that I waited, in vain, for four years to see Ali Bales lay on Ivory Latta.

Wander
05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow! I spent a year in Albany one day myself. I wasn't referring to how tough the town was, just how boring. That said, good old Albany made the NCAAs in two sports, and actually gave a really good team in basketball more than a run for its money (I don't recall which one).

Albany was crushed by UVA in the first round of the NCAAs. It wasn't close.

If we win Monday, the media is going to completely overkill the storyline. Worth it though.

grossbus
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
"Duke left the field in formation, walking in two lines, sticks over their shoulders, with helmets, and shoulder pads hanging from them."

cool, very cool.

grossbus
05-27-2007, 10:14 AM
"The hit that Nick O'Hara laid on Siebald in the first minute of the game?

That's the hit that I waited, in vain, for four years to see Ali Bales lay on Ivory Latta."

ali laid plenty of these hits on the little drama queen...and they were lovely.

http://www.spmsportspage.com/images/college/basketball/womens/2006/Duke-67-UNC-62/18_D2C_6044r.html

greybeard
05-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Albany was crushed by UVA in the first round of the NCAAs. It wasn't close.

If we win Monday, the media is going to completely overkill the storyline. Worth it though.

I was remembering the year before, see they made the big show two years in a row in basketball, and, if I recall, either beat or almost beat Syracuse.

Nice try though Wander; maybe next time.

greybeard
05-27-2007, 11:06 AM

That's the hit that I waited, in vain, for four years to see Ali Bales lay on Ivory Latta.

Me and my good friend Guilermo, Duke Soccer Goalie '75, was wondering what happened. We were sitting behind the far goal, Siebald got the ball, started a dive for the goal (something that Duke controled all game) and all or a sudden he disappeared and was flat on the ground.

But, couldn't have been a bigger hit than was put on Danowski. I coulda swore it was Ray Lewis who hit him. Said out loud to no one, "Is that legal?" See, as big a fan as I've been, I don't actually know the rules (here's where Feldspar says, "Now that's a freaken surprise!") Some Dukie explained that it's alright if you hit a guy with the stick if you have your two hands together. If you sharpen the handle end?

Anyway, like I said, both teams came to win, and Duke did. Given the charge that Cornell made the last quarter plus, and the fact that Duke was flagging, Danowski made two mental errors down the stretch that he don't make if he's not exhausted (a slashing that led to Cornell's next to last goal to bring it to within one, and then, when Danowski was occupying the ball to kill the clock, he inexplicably penetrated towards the goal, allowing the defense to converge and gave up the ball, which led to the sequence involving the big hit on Siebald, multiple trades of the ball within seconds, and ultimately the tying goal), Bernsie is right, the Duke kid doesn't win the faceoff against all the odds, and the result is different.

Being "on a mission" or some such is trite and does not capture it. Let's just say that they play for the one, as the one. "And, from this St Crispian's day until the last, those who did not fight with us on that day, will hold themselves cheap." (bad paraphrase, but Harry and his boyz had less going for them than D and P's boyz).

BTW, Dunlevy was there from the start.

greybeard
05-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Me and my good friend Guilermo, Duke Soccer Goalie '75, was wondering what happened. We were sitting behind the far goal, Siebald got the ball, started a dive for the goal (something that Duke controled all game) and all or a sudden he disappeared and was flat on the ground.

But, couldn't have been a bigger hit than was put on Danowski. I coulda swore it was Ray Lewis who hit him. Said out loud to no one, "Is that legal?" See, as big a fan as I've been, I don't actually know the rules (here's where Feldspar says, "Now that's a freaken surprise!") Some Dukie explained that it's alright if you hit a guy with the stick if you have your two hands together. If you sharpen the handle end?

Anyway, like I said, both teams came to win, and Duke did. Given the charge that Cornell made the last quarter plus, and the fact that Duke was flagging, Danowski made two mental errors down the stretch that he don't make if he's not exhausted (a slashing that led to Cornell's next to last goal to bring it to within one, and then, when Danowski was occupying the ball to kill the clock, he inexplicably penetrated towards the goal, allowing the defense to converge and gave up the ball, which led to the sequence involving the big hit on Siebald, multiple trades of the ball within seconds, and ultimately the tying goal), Bernsie is right, the Duke kid doesn't win the faceoff against all the odds, and the result is different.

Being "on a mission" or some such is trite and does not capture it. Let's just say that they play for the one, as the one. "And, from this St Crispian's day until the last, those who did not fight with us on that day, will hold themselves cheap." (bad paraphrase, but Harry and his boyz had less going for them than D and P's boyz).

BTW, Dunlevy was there from the start.

Wander
05-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I was remembering the year before, see they made the big show two years in a row in basketball, and, if I recall, either beat or almost beat Syracuse.

Nice try though Wander; maybe next time.

It was UConn. They were a 16 seed and led UConn by double digits midway through the second half. It was impressive. But it was pretty obvious that the selection committee overseeded Albany this past year based on this performance the year before, which is BS. They were no match for a borderline Top 25 team in Virginia.

greybeard
05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
It was UConn. They were a 16 seed and led UConn by double digits midway through the second half. It was impressive. But it was pretty obvious that the selection committee overseeded Albany this past year based on this performance the year before, which is BS. They were no match for a borderline Top 25 team in Virginia.

"Yes, I am more impressed with you, Yugady."

burnspbesq
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Me and my good friend Guilermo, Duke Soccer Goalie '75, was wondering what happened. We were sitting behind the far goal, Siebald got the ball, started a dive for the goal (something that Duke controled all game) and all or a sudden he disappeared ...

On Cornell's first clear attempt Siebald was going up the right sideline with the ball. He must have realized that he was going to run into a double-team if he got to the midfield line, because he was looking inside to make a pass. The second he got rid of the ball. O'Hara caught him right in the ribs with a shoulder and laid him out. It looked to me like a clean hit.

I took a hit like that once in a summer league game when I was in high school. The guy I was defending took an outside shot, and I released to try and get a fast break going the other way. My goalie held the ball a little too long before making the pass, so I ended up catching it, looking back over my shoulder, just as I got to the midfield line. There was a defenseman waiting for me. He was a starting defensive end for his school, and I weighed about 150 lbs. Wasn't very much fun.

greybeard
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM

When I first read it, I was thinking you were referring to how Seibald ended up on the ground in the last minute. But, having just read the Washington Post and reread your post, I see differently.

This is what you've been waiting for all season? Really? For those of you who want to see it, here's the way the Washington Post described it:

"One of the biggest blows to Cornell, however, came 38 seconds into the game. Sophomore Max Seibald, a first-team All American, was hit hard by Duke senior Casey Carroll near the midfield line; Carroll was called for a rare two-minute illegal body check penalty (most of those penalties are one minute. Seibald was motionless for a few minutes . . . ."

Bman, SHUT UP.

DukeWarhead
05-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm interpreting the LAX team's great success this season as the turning point:
The past year for Duke sports fans was tough, but it is now turning around.
The court case, basketball struggles, etc. are history. The ship has been righted. The slump is over. The Blue Devils are surging toward success again. Can't say enough about this years LAX team, they have done a great thing and we can all enjoy it.
Good times ahead!

chrishoke
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Duke v. Johns Hopkins for the title. I want this one as much as any Duke game in my 45 years as a Duke fan. Let's go Devils!!!

chrishoke
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
2-2 - after being down 2-0. face offs are 5-0 JH

Kewlswim
05-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi,

Down two goals after one quarter.

GO DUKE!

throatybeard
05-28-2007, 01:46 PM
We're down something like 9-0 on faceoffs.

JasonEvans
05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
We're down something like 9-0 on faceoffs.

Yup, they keep on flashing the stat. Can't score if you do not have the ball.

-Jason "it is 5-2 right now" Evans

Kewlswim
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi,

Will this be another in the long line of what seem to be Duke failures in title game matches? I have confidence in this team to rev it up. :-) Go Duke LAxers don't wait too long now, K?

GO DUKE!

chrishoke
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
6-2 bad guys.

throatybeard
05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
You can tell they're the bad guys because they wear Columbia blue. It's like how poisonous animals are brightly colored.

Kewlswim
05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
You can tell they're the bad guys because they wear Columbia blue. It's like how poisonous animals are brightly colored.

I want a Duke win. wah. Guess I can be happy we made it this far if we don't win. However, this would be sweet.

GO DUKE!

Kewlswim
05-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Duke should have a CHIP the size of Mt. Rushmore.

GO DUKE!

chrishoke
05-28-2007, 02:20 PM
10-4 JH - Dano is playing like he just ran a marathon. In fact, the whole team is running in mud.

throatybeard
05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Five in a row for us, 10-9 with 5m left in the 3rd.

jtelander
05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Down 1

11-10 with 12:00 in the 4th

RelativeWays
05-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Even if Duke doesn't pull out the win, at least they showed up in the 2nd half. That last game with UNC, duke was down more than 6 if I remember correctly.

jtelander
05-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Tied 11-11 with 4:30

JasonEvans
05-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Tie game!!!

Carter431
05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
12-11 Hopkins little over 2:00 left in the game

BlueDevilBaby
05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
:mad: Well done, team. Great come back. You made Duke fans proud.

grossbus
05-28-2007, 03:46 PM
every time i turned the game on saturday, cornell scored at will. i turned the game on today for the start of the 4th and hopkins scored. i turned it off. probably just as well. the end would have done me in. i am amazed that they were able to come back and tie late. gutsy.

goodchristian
05-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Way to finish on top guys

NYC Duke Fan
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
That is except in Women's Golf and Men's Basketball.

The teams get so close but never good enough to win the National Championship. Women's basketball, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, soccer to name a few.

Actually didn't the men's soccer team win a National Championship, but that was a while ago. I am talking recently.The teams play hard but something just is missing to reach that final plateau. Anyway, good luck to all the graduating seniors.

HK Dukie
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Thank you to the Duke Lacrosse team. What an amazing tournament and year you guys have had. I am so thankful to have witnessed your great strength in the face of seemingly overwhelming adversity, on and off the field.

These last three NCAA games were amazing. I am hooked on Duke Lacrosse now. Please take heart in your phenomenal season, you are champions to me.

freedevil
05-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I would call that loss excruciating, but those young men have been through far worse. They represented Duke, but more importantly themselves, incredibly well today. GO DUKE!

chrishoke
05-28-2007, 03:56 PM
First game I can remember where both our stars had poor games - yet we still were right there - two shots hit the post in the last 6 minutes - I know the players are heartbroken and so am I.

godukerocks
05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
What an amazing game...a 6 goal deficit with the top 2 players not playing well offensively, and they still came back...the most exciting lacrosse game I've recently seen...

This game hurt, a little worse than the women's loss to Maryland, but as many people have said, we should all be proud of Duke lacrosse. A year ago, "Duke lacrosse" was a derogotory term, but now it's something to be proud of.

With Greer, Quinzanni, McFayden, and more players coming back, they should be alright. I was looking at the roster and sooo many big players are leaving, (Danowski, Loftus, Carroll,...) but I'm sure John Danowski will keep things running well.

Thanks to everyone involved with Duke lax, '07.

Houston
05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you Duke Lax team! Great season! Great game! Great ambassadors!

dukeman28428
05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I have never been prouder of any Duke team than today. Although certainly I wish that we had won over Johns Hopkins, the Lacrosse team showed heart and most of all character in representing Duke University and themselves and all will do very well in life. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR DUKE!!!! YOU ARE CHAMPIONS IN MY BOOK

godukecom
05-28-2007, 09:48 PM
wasnt duke trying to petition the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility for each player to make up for the lost year> any idea on how that is going?

becuase if everyone was able to come back.....

greybeard
05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Having watched a few games from behind the goal, here are some random observations:

1. You give a mid or attack space and a lane to shoot, it's near impossible to stop them. These guys are pool-like accurate with placement, and, if they can step in and let the stick lag, the ball goes like a laser. Goalie has no chance.

2. In the first half, I think that the Duke defensive players were overplaying their attacks, who brought them wide. A mid would fake his defender one way, step twice in the other direction and have a clean lane to the goal. The goalie was a sitting duck.

3. Second half, there were always two Duke defenders in or near the front of the goal, clogging the lane. Hopkins could not get a clear shot. When they tried to get closer, one of the defensive guys can up and burried the guy or his shot. Terrific half time adjustment.

4. The fourth quarter both teams played incredible defense in the half court. One Duke goal came off a half court set, an incredible shot that bounced about a foot in front of the goalie's outward reach, three feet in front of the goal. Max had no chance. The other scores seemed to come off mistakes by both sides; turnovers that shouldn't have happened but do when guys are exhausted.

5. Duke's biggest chance came about 4 or 5 minutes out, three shots in one possession, all good. The last was a shot by Greer, low and to the goalie's left. He, Max, was right in front of me. Still not sure how he got it, but he did. Game right there. Terrific shot. The entire fourth quarter, in the half court, Hopkins had four players that made a box about the width of the goal and maybe with 10-15 feet separating the back two from the front. Max picked his spots based upon ball position and where his boyz were. Closest to scoring was Greer's behind the head shot. If it was on, it was wide left and a tad high, Max had no chance. Otherwise, except for the shot I just mentioned, there seemed no chance to beat Max. He was waiting on every shot.

6. Because of #5, I think that Danowski should not have called the last time out. Duke had just turned Hopkins over and there best chance was to strike fast. They didn't. They let Hopkins defense set, and in that last quarter, defense in the half court at both ends dictated.

7. Duke defenders nos. 37 and I think 35, but definitely 37 was out of this world. Uncanny ability to shoot a passing lane with his long stick outstretched to just the right distance and intercept passes to seemingly scot free attackers near the crease; picked up every loose ball within reach and many that weren't; and just played inspiring ball.

8. I thought that Danowski tired in the fourth quarter of both games. I do not understand why attacks are not subbed for. I mean I understand, but I think that that cost Duke. There have to be guys dying to play who are real good. Give them some minutes, let Danowski get some real rest and get to watch the game a bit, get a different perspective on the defense, and send him back in. Makes sense to me, but attackers seem to stay on the entire time. At least Danowski did.

Wonderful contest, wonderful tournament, wonderful testiment to Duke University and the men who represented them on the field of play. They carried an awful lot with them onto the field today; maybe too much to ask young men to carry. They left every ounce of will and effort that they could muster out on that field today, every last ounce. My hope is that that is where that extra baggage too will stay, to be honored forever in the name of a team that stood strong and steadfast during a season for the ages until the very end.

dukemomLA
05-29-2007, 01:27 AM
From L.A., I watched the Duke/Cornell game on broadcast channel 7 ABC. Today I watched the Duke-St.J game on ESPN2. Hmmmm, would either of these games have been televised with such a high-profile in years past??

Mostly, I want to thank the Duke LAX team for their tenaciousness and dignity -- and also the players from St.J. It was heartwarming to see the (what I call the HowdyDoody line) -- the "good job, good job" handshakes after the game have meaning. There were so many heartfelt hugs, unheard comments, etc. from each team to the other.

Sportsmanship supreme!

And yes, the Duke LAX team has been through a lot -- some of which they brought to themselves (although NOT what they were accused of). So I hope that it brings "lessons learned" to all. Student athletes, administrations, bogus city officials, and us all. Civility is important, justice even more so, and our actions in all things are waiting to be judged.

Thank you Duke LAX for a wonderful, prideful week-end.

JasonEvans
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Anyone have a handle on how we will be next year (assuming the NCAA does not bgrant everyone on the team an extra year, which I doubt they will do)?

I know we return Zach Greer, who was an All-American this year and would figure to be one of the leading candidates for national POY next season.

Brad Ross, who was a honorable mention AA and our 4th leading scorer will return. Ned Crotty, our 3rd leading scorer, and Max Quinzani, our 5th scorer will be back as well. Max was just a freshman this past year and I expect he will try to fill Danowski's role in the attack next season.

Defensive starter Ryan McFadyen returns for his senior season. Gibbs Fogarty is another starter who comes back.

In addition to POY Danowski, we will need to replace goalie Dan Loftus, who was a 3rd team All-American, as well as several other starters/significant players.

Still, it seems like we've got a pretty decent core coming back to this untrained eye.

-Jason "that final was excciting-- I need to become more of a Lax fan" Evans

chrishoke
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Anyone have a handle on how we will be next year (assuming the NCAA does not bgrant everyone on the team an extra year, which I doubt they will do)?

I know we return Zach Greer, who was an All-American this year and would figure to be one of the leading candidates for national POY next season.

Brad Ross, who was a honorable mention AA and our 4th leading scorer will return. Ned Crotty, our 3rd leading scorer, and Max Quinzani, our 5th scorer will be back as well. Max was just a freshman this past year and I expect he will try to fill Danowski's role in the attack next season.

Defensive starter Ryan McFadyen returns for his senior season. Gibbs Fogarty is another starter who comes back.

In addition to POY Danowski, we will need to replace goalie Dan Loftus, who was a 3rd team All-American, as well as several other starters/significant players.

Still, it seems like we've got a pretty decent core coming back to this untrained eye.

-Jason "that final was excciting-- I need to become more of a Lax fan" Evans

Jason, yes you do. Lacrosse is a great spectator sport.

To your question, this was a senior dominated team, particularly on defense, where Caseyt Carrol, Nick O'Hara, Tony McDevitt, Michael Ward were the bacckbone of the defense. Also, senior midfielders Peter Lamade and Ed Nelson were key players and leaders. Moreover, many of the stars from last year's recruiting never matriculated at Duke, deciding to go elsewhere when our season was cancelled. On the bright side, we have some battle tested players returning and an outstanding coach!

burnspbesq
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
The biggest question mark going into next year will be in goal, where there hasn't been a question mark for the last four seasons. There were three goaltenders besides Loftus on the 2007 roster, all of whom had good-to-outstanding credentials coming out of high school but didn't show enough to beat out Loftus for the starting job. Two of them come with interesting sidebar stories: Devon Sherwood is one of the few African-Americans playing college lacrosse, and if Max Wygod were to win the starting job he would be one of the very first kids from the San Diego area to be an impact player on the big stage.

We lose heavily on defense (Carroll, McDevitt) and in midfield (Lamade, O'Hara, Krom, Oppedisano, and one or two others I"m forgetting right now).

It's fairly easy to pencil in six starters for next year: McFayden and McKee in the back, Ross and Crotty on the first midfield, and Greer and Qunizani up front. That leaves a lot of holes to be filled by guys who didn't play much this year or by the very large (depending on the source, either 13 or 15) incoming freshman class. Hopefully somewhere in that group is a physically dominant midfielder, of the Siebald/Rabil variety.

It will be important for new fans of Duke lacrosse to manage their expectations regarding the 2008 team. Next year, we could be a four or five loss team sitting firmly on the bubble on Selection Sunday.

TheTrain
05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Loftus may be gone, but Schroeder was the top HS goalie in the USA a few years ago

They will have to replace 2/3 of the starting defense...but McKee will likely be one of those replacements, with Tkac, Clute and Theodoritis all being heralded HS players when they came to Duke

The MF should pretty much return intact with Ross, Crotty, Carrington, Molinari, Payton, Young, Schoeffel all returning

Throw in Greer, Quinzani and Fogarty on the attack and we have a lot

Duke had the second best recruiting class in the country this year behind only UVA (who landed 4 of the top 5 players including the Bratton brothers from Long Island...those two kids will be dominating FWIW). We are bringing 15 players next year

Those include...Michael Manley (#8 overall, #2 Defenseman) from Penn Yan, NY; Zach Howell (#16 overall, #6 Attackman) from Huntington, NY; Sean Brady (#33 overall, #3 Goalie) from Huntington, NY; Tom Rynn (#45 overall) Midfielder from Fairport, NY; Justin Turri (#46 overall) Attackman from West Islip, NY; and Jason Orlando (#48 overall) Defenseman from Lincoln-Sudbury, Massachusetts

Others include Joe Tkac (D / Landon / Gaithersburg, MD); Ryan Voloshin (M / Caanterbury School / Hamden, CT); Tucker Virtue (A / Brunswick School / Rye, NY); Tom Montelli (D / Weston HS / Weston, CT); Brandon Allen (M / Bullis School / Bethesda, MD); Jim O'Reilly (M / South Side HS / Rockville Center, NY); Kevin Young (A / Chaminade HS / Manhasset, NY); Stephen Coyle (A / Georgetown Prep / Kensington, MD); and Sam Spillane (M / Darien HS / Darien, CT)

jimsumner
05-29-2007, 01:03 PM
ESPN is reporting that Seligman will attend Brown and play lacrosse next season.

MulletMan
05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
ESPN is reporting that Seligman will attend Brown and play lacrosse next season.

I just saw this. Is it in anyway suprising that he won't be coming back?

I hope this move helps him to get on with his life.

Good Luck, Reade.

Tom B.
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Is it in anyway suprising that he won't be coming back?

I think it's been known for a while that neither he nor Finnerty was coming back -- the only question was where they'd end up.

During the game yesterday, I thought I heard one of the ESPN commentators say that there was a rumor that Finnerty would be going to Loyola. The Greyhounds made the NCAA Tournament this year and lost in the first round to Albany. Interestingly enough, they were one of Duke's two regular season losses this year -- they beat Duke 8-7 way back on March 10.

chrishoke
05-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Loftus may be gone, but Schroeder was the top HS goalie in the USA a few years ago

They will have to replace 2/3 of the starting defense...but McKee will likely be one of those replacements, with Tkac, Clute and Theodoritis all being heralded HS players when they came to Duke

The MF should pretty much return intact with Ross, Crotty, Carrington, Molinari, Payton, Young, Schoeffel all returning

Throw in Greer, Quinzani and Fogarty on the attack and we have a lot

Duke had the second best recruiting class in the country this year behind only UVA (who landed 4 of the top 5 players including the Bratton brothers from Long Island...those two kids will be dominating FWIW). We are bringing 15 players next year

Those include...Michael Manley (#8 overall, #2 Defenseman) from Penn Yan, NY; Zach Howell (#16 overall, #6 Attackman) from Huntington, NY; Sean Brady (#33 overall, #3 Goalie) from Huntington, NY; Tom Rynn (#45 overall) Midfielder from Fairport, NY; Justin Turri (#46 overall) Attackman from West Islip, NY; and Jason Orlando (#48 overall) Defenseman from Lincoln-Sudbury, Massachusetts

Others include Joe Tkac (D / Landon / Gaithersburg, MD); Ryan Voloshin (M / Caanterbury School / Hamden, CT); Tucker Virtue (A / Brunswick School / Rye, NY); Tom Montelli (D / Weston HS / Weston, CT); Brandon Allen (M / Bullis School / Bethesda, MD); Jim O'Reilly (M / South Side HS / Rockville Center, NY); Kevin Young (A / Chaminade HS / Manhasset, NY); Stephen Coyle (A / Georgetown Prep / Kensington, MD); and Sam Spillane (M / Darien HS / Darien, CT)

Thanks Train. We needed a great recruiting class this year and it sounds like we got it.