PDA

View Full Version : Notes on Cut's press conference, 10-27

jimsumner
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Captains Hollingsworth, Kelly, Rucker, Wright.

Everybody practiced today except Kromrah. Boyette still not at 100%. We'll know more Thursday.

The general feeling from the offense--including Thad--is that Virginia will use their 3-4 to force Duke to run; drop back eight and clog the passing lanes. Cut says this will be a chess match, with zone blitzes, disguised coverages, and lots of sub-plots. Duke needs to block UVa's three down lineman, especially Collins, forcing Virginia to send more people to rush Thad.

Cut really likes Collins.

Cut calls the 'Hoos the hardest-hitting team Duke has faced this year.

Kicking game could be crucial. Duke needs more return yardage.

High praise for Hollingsworth's ability to pick up blitzes last week. If you're wondering why Hollingsworth played lots of snaps and Scott didn't, there's your answer.

Cut addressed the 12 penalties v. Maryland. "Truly concerned" with 7 of the 12. Says lack of discipline was the common factor in these seven.

Agrees with excessive-celebration-penalty on Parker. Calls it a selfish penalty. Says anyone who gets two of that type in a season will be lined up against the wall and shot with BB guns. He was joking. I think.

Refused invitation to criticize lack of TV games. Says Duke will earn opportunites in "due time." Calls program Duke.com. Says he gets lots of letters from fans outside the area who like watching games on computer. Gets these letters via old-fashioned snail mail. Irony escaped no one. :)

Thad Lewis close to Jazz Howard. Sent helmet to family.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Captains Hollingsworth, Kelly, Rucker, Wright.

Everybody practiced today except Kromrah. Boyette still not at 100%. We'll know more Thursday.

The general feeling from the offense--including Thad--is that Virginia will use their 3-4 to force Duke to run; drop back eight and clog the passing lanes. Cut says this will be a chess match, with zone blitzes, disguised coverages, and lots of sub-plots. Duke needs to block UVa's three down lineman, especially Collins, forcing Virginia to send more people to rush Thad.

Cut really likes Collins.

Cut calls the 'Hoos the hardest-hitting team Duke has faced this year.

Kicking game could be crucial. Duke needs more return yardage.

High praise for Hollingsworth's ability to pick up blitzes last week. If you're wondering why Hollingsworth played lots of snaps and Scott didn't, there's your answer.

Cut addressed the 12 penalties v. Maryland. "Truly concerned" with 7 of the 12. Says lack of discipline was the common factor in these seven.

Agrees with excessive-celebration-penalty on Parker. Calls it a selfish penalty. Says anyone who gets two of that type in a season will be lined up against the wall and shot with BB guns. He was joking. I think.

Refused invitation to criticize lack of TV games. Says Duke will earn opportunites in "due time." Calls program Duke.com. Says he gets lots of letters from fans outside the area who like watching games on computer. Gets these letters via old-fashioned snail mail. Irony escaped no one. :)

Thad Lewis close to Jazz Howard. Sent helmet to family.

Great summary, Jim! You've provided quite a bit of information for those willing to read and think about what's been said in the press conference.

I continue to be impressed with Coach Cutcliffe's coaching acumen and his stellar ability to cover many points clearly enough for the casual fan without using tired vocabulary.

Key words continue to be: preparation and focus

OldPhiKap
10-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Great summary, Jim! You've provided quite a bit of information for those willing to read and think about what's been said in the press conference.

I continue to be impressed with Coach Cutcliffe's coaching acumen and his stellar ability to cover many points clearly enough for the casual fan without using tired vocabulary.

Key words continue to be: preparation and focus

Agreed, and thanks Jim.

I find Coach's comments on the penaties interesting, given that after the game he stated that the number of penalties was a reflection on coaching and that he was disappointed in himself and would try to do better. Mix that with the comments of one of the players that Coach always preaches about focus, and you can bet that practice was pretty @#% intense this week.

They will be one focused group of young men.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks Jim. A thought on the captains...I take it they have weekly captains instead of for the whole season, has Thad been one? I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't, since he leads on the field anyways. I like that others are noted for being strong leaders each game.

jipops
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Thank you very much for that update Jim.

Has Duke faced a 3-4 yet this season?