PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA - 2009-10

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

airowe
10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
DukeBluePlanet is saying that as NBA Rosters have been finalized, Duke is tied with UCLA with the most Alums in the league at 14. I know we have had the most for a while now and its impressive to see that is still true, even if we're tied.

I'm going to venture to say that the totals for all schools will increase dramatically as long as the One and Done Rule is in effect and Europe's draw remains relatively weak. Many of the best players in the league now never attended college. The talent level in Europe will balance this out somewhat, but we only have to look at UK's roster to see that there will be a number of One and Dones entering the league through college.

RoyalBlue08
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league....does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.

stillcrazie
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.

speedevil2001
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
This is a little late, but Shelden is currently on TNT (channel 26 in the Triangle) with the Celtics.

shelden is gonna get some minutes backing up perkins with davis out a few weeks. he just has to use his big body to block out and set screens.

shelden looks small standing next to shaq.

airowe
10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
As someone that only follows the NBA as a sort of college basketball alumni league....does anyone know of a website where you can sort NBA players and their statistics by college attended? It would be nice to be able to follow the box scores of all the ex-Duke players without having to look them up individually.

This is a start: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/alumni-tracker#D

moonpie23
10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
according to the CBS thingie, UNC has 16..

FireOgilvie
10-28-2009, 12:24 AM

I'm pretty sure Shammond Williams isn't in the NBA anymore and Stackhouse was just released. I'm guessing one of the other guys is not on a roster either.

airowe
10-28-2009, 12:28 AM

They haven't updated Rashad McCants, who is on the Kings on their list, ut not on Opening Day Roster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=sac)

OR Jerry Stackhouse (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/6803).

OR Shammond Williams. (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/roster/LAL/los-angeles-lakers)

theAlaskanBear
10-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Ok! First night in!

SHelden WIlliams played 12:30 minutes, which is great! He had 4 points (all of them FTs) and 3 rebounds. He only took one shot.

RoyalBlue08
10-28-2009, 10:14 AM
This is a start: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/alumni-tracker#D

Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)

airowe
10-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks airowe. That is a cool site. I still think it would be great if someone out there with a website would post daily box scores for ex-Dukies. I know I would check that every morning over my coffee. (Too bad I don't know crap about computers, I could start my own website, lol.)

Tent over at TheDevilsDen.com actually does a fantasy leagur for different schools' grads in the NBA. Follow this thread all season to compare teams:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=5013961

Its also on DukeBluePlanet.com evidently, but I can't access that site on my Blackberry very well or I'd provide a link.

hq2
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.

JasonEvans
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Former Dukies who played last night in the NBA...

Name Min FG 3Pt FT +/- Off Reb Ast TO Stl BS Pts
Shelden Williams 12:30 0-1 0-0 4-4 +7 0 3 0 1 0 0 4
Shane Battier 27:43 2-9 1-4 3-4 -22 1 4 0 1 2 0 8

--Jason "can't promise I will do this every day, but I can try" Evans

grad_devil
10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Last year I wrote a script that scrapes the Dukies in the NBA from ESPN's Daily Leader page. It still seems to work ok, although I can't guarantee uptime. It's nothing fancy, so don't get your hopes up! I was short on time and threw it together because it was taking too long to find all of our guys' stats.

Feel free to bookmark it here: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

Last year's pages can be found: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats/2008_2009

As long as my IT admin doesn't start complaining about bw issues, I'll be glad to host.

--grad_devil

FireOgilvie
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Gerald just scored his first NBA points on a nice 18 foot jumper. His teammates aren't passing him the ball, and they're down by 29 to Boston. It's too bad he ended up in Charlotte; the Bobcats are miserable. They have a bunch of interchangeable small-ish guys that are getting dominated by the Celtics.

sagegrouse
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Dahntay had a good offensive night for the Pacers, scoring 17 in 26 minutes. Pretty good for a non-shooting shooting guard.:)

JJ scored 10 in over 20 minutes for Orlando vs. the Sixers. Elton didn't score much in this game, which I didn't watch.

sagegrouse

stillcrazie
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Shelden 12 pts 9 reb 3 asst 22 mins (8 of his pts were free throws)

Gerald 8 pts 2 reb 1 asst 25 mins

Celtics 92 Bobcats 59

At least Shelden can hit his free throws.

ice-9
10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
What's up with Elton Brand? Does anyone here following the 76ers know why he's playing so poorly?

flyingdutchdevil
10-29-2009, 05:48 AM
What's up with Elton Brand? Does anyone here following the 76ers know why he's playing so poorly?

Great question. I think part of it is because he still isn't back to 100% since his injuries. Another part is because he Sixers don't play a style that caters to Brand. They run, rather than shoot threes, so there isn't a lot of space in the paint.

dukelifer
10-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Saw Sheldon with the Celtics last night. He gets by with rebounding and D, but that's about it. On offense, he's a non-factor. Saw him get stripped a couple of times and turn the ball over. Now that I've seen him in the pros, I can't see him ever being much of an offensive threat. He's not tall enough to use his jump hook over NBA power forwards, not quite strong enough to bull his way in like big baby, doesn't have a good straight on or turnaround jumper, and doesn't have good footwork. In short, he has almost no NBA offensive game at all. His basic utility is setting screens and picks, passing, and picking up garbage buckets. If he could get a decent mid-range jumper, his value would improve immensely, but at this stage I seriously doubt if it will ever happen. Don't see him lasting too much longer in the league.
Who is Sheldon?

sagegrouse
10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Celtics 92 Bobcats 59

59 points in 48 minute game? With a 24 second shot clock? That equates to 49 points in a college-length game.

Larry and Michael sure have the Bobcats humming on all cylinders.

sagegrouse

theAlaskanBear
10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
In two games with the Celts, SHelden has hit 12/15 FTs. He's getting to the line at an amazing rate for someone who has very little offensive game. I hope he keeps it up!!

Grant Hill also had a great game with 13rbs and 19pts

hq2
10-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I watched him again some last night. I think he's starting to get his role figured out there. The C's have lots of guys who can score, so Shelden doesn' t
have to shoot at all; just shoot put backs and hit free throws when he's fouled. If he can just do that, along with rebounding and defense, he'll be a contributor, because that's all they need.

hq2
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
To Duke lifer:

Sorry about the misspelling. Shows you how little ink he's gotten lately; I forgot how to spell his name.

RoyalBlue08
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Last year I wrote a script that scrapes the Dukies in the NBA from ESPN's Daily Leader page. It still seems to work ok, although I can't guarantee uptime. It's nothing fancy, so don't get your hopes up! I was short on time and threw it together because it was taking too long to find all of our guys' stats.

As long as my IT admin doesn't start complaining about bw issues, I'll be glad to host.

--grad_devil

Very cool. Thanks.

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
Itīs a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.

mo.st.dukie
10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Aside from an excellent game from Shelden, a solid game from JJ and a very nice game from Grant, it was a horrible day in the NBA for fomer Dukies. Battier has been terrible in his 2 games, Brand seems like he is not going to be the All-star that he was, Magette was off, neither McRoberts or Shav got in their respective games, Duhon was terrible, G had a mediocre debut etc. Luol has yet to play.
Itīs a small sample size, but our alums have had a collectively blah inauguration to the season.

Dahntay Jones had 17 pts. last night and played very well. He was taking the ball strong to the rim and finishing. It seems like he might be given more offensive freedom that what he did with the Nuggets.

FireOgilvie
10-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Gerald actually did pretty well I thought. Eight points in his first game as a rookie in 25 minutes. Not bad. His team, overall, was absolutely horrendous though. Unless they have something up their sleeve that I don't know about, the Bobcats should be the worst team in the NBA this year. They have zero high-level NBA talent right now (guys that could compete for the All-Star team).

NSDukeFan
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM

I didn't watch any of the games, but I agree with the other poster that it doesn't sound like G had that bad a debut. Did Battier really play that poorly? His stats weren't that unusual and they lost to a stacked Portland team in Portland and won the game against Golden State on the road.

COYS
10-29-2009, 11:01 PM

I think you judge a little too harshly. Boozer and Brand aren't up to their high standards yet, that's true. Neither is Corey. But they're veterans who will be given their chance to get things worked out and I'm sure they will. It's nice to see JJ get some PT and do well from day 1 this season. Also, Gerald did about as well as could be expected when your team, as a whole, plays as terribly as the Bobcats did. It was a blowout, of course, but still nice to Shelden take advantage of his chance at more playing time, as well. As for Shav and McRoberts, neither one was projected to play every game, anyway.

And Luol had a nice debut tonight, netting 17 on 8-13 shooting and 9 boards in a win over the Spurs. He was the Bull's leading scorer.

JasonEvans
10-30-2009, 10:25 AM

How are you judging Battier's play? Did you watch the game? It is well known that his role is not to be a big stat guy.... unless you are talking defensive stats or the stats of the guy he is guarding. He had 3 steals and 2 blocked shots in the game, which is not bad.

--Jason "Houston values Shane extremely highly. That franchise knows what it has in him" Evans

DukieInBrasil
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I read the stats wrong on Dhantayīs game, and yes he had one his better games in the NBA, sorry Dhantay.
Gerald had 8 points on 3-7 shooting. In the world of the NBA thatīs a mediocre game, neither good nor bad. Relative to the rest of his team it was actually a decent game.
I mentioned Brand in that light b/c of the fact that in the few games he played last year he didnīt shoot very well and then missed most of the year with injuries. Itīs just hard coming back from Achilles ruptures. Christian Laettner started his career very well, nearly an All-Star, and then injured his achilles and was a serviceable NBA PF for a few years after.
Battier is shooting 3-13 for the year (2 games), thatīs bad. His intangibles, rebounding etc. are probably about the same as ever. I love the fact that Shane gets love despite not putting stats that people drool over.
As i said to start with, itīs a small sample size, i was just commenting that amongst former Duke players, only 4 of them had games that were commendable in the first game of the year.
Just a small nugget to chew on: Shelden arugably had a better game than Keven Garnett; 12pts vs 10, 9 rebs vs. 7, 3 asts vs 1 but 1 block vs 3 and Shelden played 22 minutes vs 26 for KG. Of course Shelden was the only player on the team with a +/- in the negatives (-1) while KG enjoyed a +34.

basket1544
10-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Does anyone else love listening to Doug Collins commentate all of the games he's done so far? He makes a point to give the former Duke players love during his commentaries. Last night specifically I remember him bringing up Luol Deng quite a few times during the Bulls/Spurs game. Love it!

FireOgilvie
10-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Shelden is definitely taking advantage of his playing time in Boston. He had a double-double (10 pts, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, on 2-4 fg) in 23 minutes against the Bulls. He's actually tied for the title of Celtics' leading rebounder through 3 games.

Poincaré
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Shelden is definitely taking advantage of his playing time in Boston. He had a double-double (10 pts, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, on 2-4 fg) in 23 minutes against the Bulls. He's actually tied for the title of Celtics' leading rebounder through 3 games.

I just want to say that I have a man-crush on Shelden. One of my all-time favorites. The way he played defense was absolutely sublime. I know that he is well-appreciated, but he probably deserves even more appreciation. If he hadn't followed Shane, the greatest defensive leader in team history, we would be talking about Shelden in the same reverent tones. I really hope that he keeps getting PT.

sagegrouse
10-30-2009, 11:02 PM
The key to an NBA career is to become a solid member of an 8-9 man rotation, which generally means 20+ minutes per game.

Most of the Duke NBA cadre are real contributors: in chronological order, the nine are Hill, Brand, Maggette, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy (injured), Duhon, Deng, and Dahntay.

The others on rosters are JJ, Shel, McRoberts, Shav, and Gerald.

In the first two games, JJ and Shel are getting significant minutes.

I believe JJ's numbers. He is playing as much as the starters and the games have been fairly close. And JJ is playing because Stan Van Gundy thinks he helps the team. Deadeye shooting or not, I think JJ has arrived in the NBA. I thought he made his bones in the playoffs last year: Orlando was a better team when he was on the floor, and his contribution included both defense and passing.

Shel is getting starter's minutes and making the most of it. But these are blowouts. We'll see what happens when the games are close. Also, of course, Glen Davis (I refuse to call a 300 pund man "Big Baby") is injured. But during the coming games, we'll see how much Doc Rivers wants Shel on the court.

sagegrouse

FireOgilvie
10-30-2009, 11:19 PM
The key to an NBA career is to become a solid member of an 8-9 man rotation, which generally means 20+ minutes per game.

Most of the Duke NBA cadre are real contributors: in chronological order, the nine are Hill, Brand, Maggette, Battier, Boozer, Dunleavy (injured), Duhon, Deng, and Dahntay.

The others on rosters are JJ, Shel, McRoberts, Shav, and Gerald.

In the first two games, JJ and Shel are getting significant minutes.

I believe JJ's numbers. He is playing as much as the starters and the games have been fairly close. And JJ is playing because Stan Van Gundy thinks he helps the team. Deadeye shooting or not, I think JJ has arrived in the NBA. I thought he made his bones in the playoffs last year: Orlando was a better team when he was on the floor, and his contribution included both defense and passing.

Shel is getting starter's minutes and making the most of it. But these are blowouts. We'll see what happens when the games are close. Also, of course, Glen Davis (I refuse to call a 300 pund man "Big Baby") is injured. But during the coming games, we'll see how much Doc Rivers wants Shel on the court.

sagegrouse

Shelden is definitely playing a lot of minutes because the Celtics are dominating everyone, but he's still putting up really good numbers against quality opponents. Shelden was up against Noah (Bulls' starter) for a significant amount of time and then backup Brad Miller, who is a very solid veteran player. The fact that he's making the most out of his playing time is huge; he's definitely showing he has a place in the league, even if it's as a role player (rebounder).

moonpie23
10-31-2009, 09:14 AM
-------------------MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

Elton Brand, PF 29 6-11 0-0 5-5 1 5 6 1 3 2 2 2 +9 17

Chris Duhon, PG 56 3-10 0-4 7-7 0 4 4 8 1 0 5 1 +4 13

Gerald Henderson, G 6 1-2 0-0 1-2 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 2 -1 3

Luol Deng, SF 20 2-8 0-0 0-0 2 3 5 0 0 0 2 4 -10 4

Shelden Williams, PF 24 2-4 0-0 6-6 2 8 10 2 0 2 1 4 +10 10

Shaun Livingston, PG DNP COACH'S DECISION

Dahntay Jones, SG 30 2-9 0-0 2-2 0 0 0 2 2 0 3 4 +3 6

Josh McRoberts, PF 1 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0

J.J. Redick, SG 29 4-10 1-3 3-4 0 5 5 2 0 0 1 2 -3 12

Carlos Boozer, PF 41 9-22 0-0 2-3 0 12 12 7 1 0 3 3 +10 20

Corey Maggette, SF 19 2-7 0-0 5-6 0 2 2 0 1 0 3 3 -8 9

Grant Hill, SF 35 7-13 0-0 4-5 1 5 6 2 0 0 2 1 +19 18

Kobe Bryant, SG 37 6-19 1-4 7-9 3 3 6 2 0 0 3 2 -20 20 :D

chrisheery
10-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I guess it makes as much sense to claim Shaun Livingston as it does Kobe.

moonpie23
10-31-2009, 09:27 AM
look, we all know kobe woulda been a dukie.....that's documented...

chrisheery
10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
No question about it.

Its just that he wasn't a Duke player. Nor was Livingston.

Does Ohio State get to claim LeBron? Who gets to claim Garnett?

bdh21
10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Can we claim Hubie Brown? He had another solid night of commentary.

sagegrouse
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
look, we all know kobe woulda been a dukie.....that's documented...

Shaun and Kobe never played for Duke.

However, it is your table and a valuable service to the Board. As long as you publish it, you can put anyone in it that you want.

sagegrouse
'My other random question is about HTML tables. Is there a standard reference for how to build a proper table? I have wanted to do so myself on a number of occasions.'

Indoor66
10-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Can we claim Hubie Brown? He had another solid night of commentary.

Definitely. He coached at Duke for 4 or 5 years in the 60's & 70's.

moonpie23
10-31-2009, 10:14 AM
i was just having a bit of fun.....sheesh...i didn't know the EXACT police were already up and having coffee....

could you ticket me for no caps and punctuation too please officer?

-jk
10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
'My other random question is about HTML tables. Is there a standard reference for how to build a proper table? I have wanted to do so myself on a number of occasions.'

We don't support HTML directly in posts - it's a security issue - and there is no other direct table support in vB yet. From the FAQ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53922) sticky for the best work around:

Stats Put stats and other tables between the tags "
" and "" and it'll make your post much more readable. The easiest way I've found to set up tables is to use Excel and Notepad, Excel to set up the data and Notepad to strip everything except the text and tabs.

1) Set up your data in Excel
2) Copy and paste into Windows' Notepad (with the default Lucida Console font)
3) Tweak the tabs as needed to get it back into columns in Notepad (long records sometimes move them out of place)
4) Copy and paste between
and tags
5) Preview and tweak!

A slightly easier way is to just use the Courier font in the WYSIWYG editor (User CP > edit options), but note that the BBS system strips multiple spaces down to a single space which can really squeeze your table. The Code tag doesn't strip spaces.

(I haven't gone looking for a table add-on recently. I'll check around to see if anyone has written one.)

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2009, 01:31 PM
i was just having a bit of fun.....sheesh...i didn't know the EXACT police were already up and having coffee....

They would have but you had no complete sentences.:D
The list is fun, and saved me a ton of searching...but I'd leave Bryant and Livingston off, too. Thanks for putting it together.

NSDukeFan
10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Shelden is definitely playing a lot of minutes because the Celtics are dominating everyone, but he's still putting up really good numbers against quality opponents. Shelden was up against Noah (Bulls' starter) for a significant amount of time and then backup Brad Miller, who is a very solid veteran player. The fact that he's making the most out of his playing time is huge; he's definitely showing he has a place in the league, even if it's as a role player (rebounder).

I realize it's a small sample size, but it is really nice to see Shelden taking advantage of the opportunity. I hope he shows enough while Big Baby is out to maintain a place in the 8-9 man rotation as sagegrouse mentioned earlier. Great to see JJ off to a good start as well. Hopefully, Stephen Graham won't keep G from getting regular minutes while Raja Bell is out. It would be nice to have 12 regular rotation guys to cheer for.

bdh21
10-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Maybe I should have added one of these things: ;) or :p. Didn't mean to come across as nitpicky, we're all trying to have a bit of fun here. Plus, Hubie deserves his due. After all, he is one of the best commentators... that we have... in this league.

jacone21
10-31-2009, 03:04 PM
This week, I've been watching the NBA a bit on Directv's free league pass preview. Last night I was flipping from game to game, and it seemed like every matchup had at least one, sometimes two former Duke players on the floor. Pretty cool to see that.

moonpie23
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe I should have added one of these things: ;) or :p. Didn't mean to come across as nitpicky, we're all trying to have a bit of fun here. Plus, Hubie deserves his due. After all, he is one of the best commentators... that we have... in this league.
i can't think of anyone i'd rather listen to....

DukieInBrasil
10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
That may have been Sheldenīs best NBA game. He hasnīt gotten too many minutes in his career in games that could actually mean something so he has scored way more than 10 pts before, but a 2x double with 2 blocks is a very nice game.
Keep it up Shel!

moonpie23
11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
-------------------MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

Gerald Henderson, G 18 3-8 2-4 0-0 0 3 3 0 0 1 0 2 -1 8

Elton Brand, PF 36 7-13 0-0 2-2 1 6 7 1 2 0 4 5 +33 16

Chris Duhon, PG 33 3-9 1-4 0-0 1 2 3 6 2 1 2 4 -11 7

grad_devil
11-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Don't forget Shane!

See: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

--grad_devil

Stray Gator
11-01-2009, 01:57 PM
J.J. got the start today in the absence of Vince Carter, and has already scored 16 points about with 7 minutes still left in the second period, including 4 treys. His career high with the Magic is 18 points.

balkan boy
11-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Fortunate to have access to a live NBA game that doesn't start at 3am here and Redick has put up 16 in the first half...

Balkan Boy

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Orlando up 64-53 over the Raptors at the half. JJ has 18 at half - career high. He is 4 or 6 from 3 pt line. He also has the team high +/- at +12.

House G
11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
He tied his career high...in the first half!

Oriole Way
11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I believe J.J. matched his career high in the first half alone.

I have watched tons of Magic games over the past few years, and for the first time, J.J. looks like he did when he played at Duke. Hopefully Stan Van Gundy will make J.J. the first guard option off the bench and give him good minutes going forward; he's already called J.J. one of the Magic's best perimeter defenders, and so far this season J.J. has had his shot working.

soccerstud2210
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
this is great that he is actually getting some time and coming out of his shooting slump. hopefully van gumby down there in ORL

Qwerty
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Who is trying to guard him? Turkoglu is Toronto's starting 2/3... I would love for JJ to abuse that since it always seemed like Hedo wouldn't pass him the ball.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
JJ is going back to his duke days baby whoohooo

FireOgilvie
11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I think the rims in Canada must be oversized; Toronto is 8/9 from 3 and Orlando is 15/26. JJ is 5/7.

FireOgilvie
11-01-2009, 03:30 PM
JJ really does look great in this game. He's driving into the lane and hitting the open man once he draws the defender. His ball-handling has really improved.

moonpie23
11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Don't forget Shane!

See: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

--grad_devil

where's that from?

WiJoe
11-01-2009, 03:37 PM
I've been watching for half an hour and JJ has not taken a shot. He's done other things to help the cause, though. Ryan Anderson's pretty good. Just win.

:o

moonpie23
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
finished with 27

Bluedog
11-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Also led the team with 5 assists....and only 1 turnover. Led team in point differential when he was on court at +12 and played EIGHT more minutes than the next closest on the team. Nearly 45 minutes on the court? Looks like his senior year at Duke. Endurance was always one of his strong suits. Looks like Van Gundy is liking what he sees on the court.

Indoor66
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Also led the team with 5 assists....and only 1 turnover. Led team in point differential when he was on court at +12 and played EIGHT more minutes than the next closest on the team. Nearly 45 minutes on the court? Looks like his senior year at Duke. Endurance was always one of his strong suits. Looks like Van Gundy is liking what he sees on the court.

I listened to the game and he played very well. In fact, Orlando only had 8 or 9 guys available to play - and he was the only shooting guard available.

05/18/2005
11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Great game for JJ, but its important to remember that both Carter(ankle) and Pietrus(Flu) didn't play. They are big contributers and play alot, so their abscence left a large void of minutes. While JJ played well, once they are healthy, they will get their minutes back from JJ.

theAlaskanBear
11-01-2009, 04:30 PM
The ORL-TOR game is over, and JJ finished with 27pts, 5ast, and 6rbs. He went 8-14 from the field, 5-8 from 3, and hit 6/7 FTs.

Great game!! Came down to the wire.

soccerstud2210
11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Great game for JJ, but its important to remember that both Carter(ankle) and Pietrus(Flu) didn't play. They are big contributers and play alot, so their abscence left a large void of minutes. While JJ played well, once they are healthy, they will get their minutes back from JJ.

sheesh debbie downer haha :)

its just good to see him playing again and TAKING advantage of it

Son of Mojo
11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Just goes to show you.......if he's given minutes and shots, he'll contribute greatly and put up good numbers. If this doesn't lead to him getting more touches regularly even when Pietrus and that other guy get back then PLEASE trade him to someone who will give JJ minutes & touches.

Duke79UNLV77
11-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I think the rims in Canada must be oversized; Toronto is 8/9 from 3 and Orlando is 15/26. JJ is 5/7.

Maybe someone should check the rims. Howard was 14-16 on free throws!

grad_devil
11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
where's that from?

See my post in the first page of this thread. Here it is, below:

--grad_devil

It updates itself after midnight, and it's not real-time statistics (and also doesn't track DNPs), but if you want something to read with your morning coffee, it should do the trick.

--grad_devil

moonpie23
11-01-2009, 05:05 PM
awesome.....now i don't have to do it...

stillcrazie
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291101028

Lord Ash
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Hm. For someone only ranked as "Hoop Dreams" your insight on NBA playing time and what coaches will or will not do is pretty dramatic. How do you know that they will get their minutes back?

ikiru36
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
JJ had, arguably, his finest NBA game to date today. He played nearly 45 minutes, scoring 27 points with 6 rebounds, 5 assists and only 1 turnover. He also had 5 3-pointers and was tied for the team lead in +/- with a +12.

Adding to the Duke fan delights, this performance involved starting in place of the injured Vince Carter (whom I certainly wish no ill will). Also, per the game recap (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009110128), in reference to their game the night before last,

“Coach K called me right after the game,” Redick said. “He said, ‘It’s right there, you’re going to have one of your games where you knock down five or six 3s.’ I didn’t know it would be this soon.”

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G man
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I am so happy for him. I just want to see him get to some burn. He has spent so much time watching. He always plays well when he gets minutes

darthur
11-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Hm. For someone only ranked as "Hoop Dreams" your insight on NBA playing time and what coaches will or will not do is pretty dramatic. How do you know that they will get their minutes back?

I'm not that guy, but Vince Carter is going to be the starting shooting guard on any team he plays for. And as good as we all believe Redick can be,

(1) he's seriously undersized for an NBA 3, and
(2) Orlando needs a perimeter defensive specialist for their 5th man more than they need another offensive threat.

It certainly looks like Redick is on track for a nice jump in playing time this season, but there's no way he's averaging anywhere close to the 45 he got this game. The Magic are loaded when healthy.

RainingThrees
11-01-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm not that guy, but Vince Carter is going to be the starting shooting guard on any team he plays for. And as good as we all believe Redick can be,

(2) Orlando needs a perimeter defensive specialist for their 5th man more than they need another offensive threat.

It certainly looks like Redick is on track for a nice jump in playing time this season, but there's no way he's averaging anywhere close to the 45 he got this game. The Magic are loaded when healthy.

NBA 3? Why would anyone consider playing him there?

Lord Ash
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM

First off, obviously JJ is not a 3.

As for losing his minutes... Van Gundy has praised JJ's D (didn't he say something about him being the teams 2nd best perimeter defender?) and JJ has largely done all of the things he needs to do, even when his shot has been cold. I certainly don't think he will get 45 minutes a game, but to say he will lose all the minutes that the other two normally take? I certainly hope he manages to hold on to at least a few of them...

sagegrouse
11-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Redick is playing BECAUSE of his D, not in spite of it. He also is playing because his passing is excellent and his knowledge of the game is superior. He played major minutes in the play-off because SVG thought the Magic was better with JJ on the court.

If he gets a hot streak shooting, he will be on the court more than 30 MPG (my favorite statistic denoting value to the eam).

sagegrouse

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I'll take that bet.

Look, I love JJ as much as anyone, but he is on the wrong team to play that much. Barnes and Peitrus are both defensive specialists/energy guys. VC makes a ton of money and is unstoppable when he is on. JJ isn't going to play PG. He will get the backup minutes at SG, which usually amount to 8-10 minutes per half in the NBA.

That said there are many teams in the NBA where he could play that much and would DESERVE to play that much. I'm just not sure the Magic are one of those teams. This is a very, very talented team.

05/18/2005
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM

firstly, ive been a lurker for few years and decided that this was the season to get an accout.
Next, do you really think that after one good game that jj will take 8 time allstar,2 time all nba,and olympian vince carters minutes?
To say yes would be absolutely absurd.
Today, jj showed that he can be a real asset, but he will never be able to do what vince carter can do.
That being said, jj took advantage of his oppertunity today.

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
That Dwight Howard is invested in JJ getting better/playing more as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=An30uvrdYt0i6qXt8CIvVsG8vLYF?gid=200911 0128&prov=ap

They got into the gym to work on shooting together? Maybe that is why Dwight is shooting free throws so much better.

sagegrouse
11-01-2009, 10:15 PM
firstly, ive been a lurker for few years and decided that this was the season to get an accout.
Next, do you really think that after one good game that jj will take 8 time allstar,2 time all nba,and olympian vince carters minutes?
Today, jj showed that he can be a real asset, but he will never be able to do what vince carter can do.

If JJ shows he can play he will get tons of minutes -- and he appears, at long last, to have the confidence of SVG. I don't think it is just a tradeoff between JJ and Vince. They can both be on the ocurt at the same time.

sagegrouse

chrisheery
11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah, they can. I'm just saying I will take the bet. I'll set JJ's over/under for minutes at 26 MPG. I'll take the under. I think he is earning deserved respect and getting meaningful playing time. More than anything, though, I think his demonstration that he can be a productive player in big minutes will serve more as a job interview for his next team than for this one. There are just too many good players for him to play 30 minutes a game. I'd be surprised if VC averages much more than 36 MPG.

Lord Ash
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM

I certainly don't think J.J. is going to get a ton of minutes, and certainly not the minutes he got today... however, to take it for granted that both of Pietrus and Carter will simply "get back" all of their minutes at this point is maybe jumping the gun.

If J.J., now FINALLY given the minutes we have been asking for for years, produces in this fashion (even if not in these sheer numbers) with consistent minutes, it is entirely likely that he WILL take a few minutes here and there from other players on the team, including both of those guys, regardless of who comes back from injury. That is an insane stat line, and after watching J.J. perform at an INSANELY high level for years, and knowing that he has improved since then, if he is given the chance I think it is entirely possible he WILL get more minutes than he has in the past few years.

Then again, some would say it would be hard to get FEWER minutes:)

jipops
11-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Of note, Grant Hill is averaging 20.0 pts and 9.7 rebs through the first 3 games. Those are nice fantasy numbers. Not bad for a 37 yr old who's gone through like six thousand ankle surgeries. If only he hadn't been robbed 6 years of his career by that ankle (Orlando might say they were robbed). It's amazing the kind of shape he's still in. Of course he is playing in an ideal system with D'antoni along with a weak rebounding front court where he should post some nice rebound numbers.

darthur
11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
NBA 3? Why would anyone consider playing him there?

Because Vince Carter is a 2, and he is going to play a ton of minutes no matter what. Normally, Redick's best chance to move up the pecking order would be to take over time from the one non-NBA-all-star starter on the Magic, but unfortunately that would be the 3.

Redick is playing BECAUSE of his D, not in spite of it. He also is playing because his passing is excellent and his knowledge of the game is superior. He played major minutes in the play-off because SVG thought the Magic was better with JJ on the court.

Can you back up the claim that Redick is playing because of his D? Here's a quote from the Magic GM:

"What (Redick) can do—shoot—is at a premium in this league," Smith said. "We just happen to have an abundance of shooters. The fact of the matter is, we have players around him who give us something (defense) that he doesn't give us."

The quote is a little out of date (I think it may be about a year old but I'm not 100% sure) and the playoffs last year helped win over some doubters about his D, but JJ's not a defensive specialist in the way that say Pietrus is. He just isn't, and he never will be. In the NBA, it's extremely important to have a Battier-level defender to make life very difficult for the opponent's best perimeter player. JJ, for all his strengths, will not be that player.

As for passing, yes, JJ is a terrific passer. But there are so many supremely talented offensive players on the Magic this year that having one more person who can create offense is just not that important for them.

Finally, JJ did get a lot of minutes against Boston in the playoffs last year, and that was because he was perceived as a good matchup against Allen in particular. JJ got much less time against both Cleveland and LA. And more importantly, the Magic have added an all-star 1 (Jameer Nelson) and an all-star 2 (Vince Carter) in the meantime.

Look, I'm excited about JJ's most recent game - those absolutely are all-star numbers - but remember that he got those minutes because the Magic had their starting 2,3, AND 4 all sitting out this game. Barring a trade or a major injury, I would be (pleasantly) shocked if JJ gets over 25 minutes per game this season.

RainingThrees
11-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't have any specific links but JJ has been praised recently for being one of the best perimeter defenders on the Magic. And I don't see any problem with him getting around 20-25 min and don't see why that is a disappointment or why anyone should be upset about it, as that is about half of an NBA game. Also the Magic's 3 and 4 will have no effect on JJ's playing time as players further on in the depth chart at those positions will pick up the minutes. His playing tonight was based soley on Carter not playing and not on players at other positions, especially the 4.

darthur
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't have any specific links but JJ has been praised recently for being one of the best perimeter defenders on the Magic. And I don't see any problem with him getting around 20-25 min and don't see why that is a disappointment or why anyone should be upset about it, as that is about half of an NBA game. Also the Magic's 3 and 4 will have no effect on JJ's playing time as players further on in the depth chart at those positions will pick up the minutes. His playing tonight was based soley on Carter not playing and not on players at other positions, especially the 4.

1. I agree JJ *is* a pretty good perimeter defender. Pietrus is better though, which means the Magic are not going to be too enthusiastic about pushing Carter over to take Pietrus's spot at the 3 in order to let JJ play the 2.

2. Yes, JJ will only be playing the 2 or possibly the 1. But there are other people on the team who could reasonably play multiple positions. The more crowded it is everywhere, the more people will end up competing for spots at all positions.

3. I never said 20 minutes per game would be a disappointment. I would be very happy if he got that. I was only trying to back up someone who was pointing out that JJ will not get this good of an opportunity to shine many other times during the season.

sagegrouse
11-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Because Vince Carter is a 2, and he is going to play a ton of minutes no matter what. Normally, Redick's best chance to move up the pecking order would be to take over time from the one non-NBA-all-star starter on the Magic, but unfortunately that would be the 3.

Can you back up the claim that Redick is playing because of his D? Here's a quote from the Magic GM:

It'll take more time than I have tonight to find the quotes. But the Magic used JJ against Kobe at times during the championship series. JJ looks very strong (to me) on the defensive end and does a great job of fighting through screens. He also knows about positioning and angles.

I mean, JJ played a lot of minutes in the playoffs last year without scoring a bunch of points.

sagegrouse

05/18/2005
11-02-2009, 02:48 AM
If JJ shows he can play he will get tons of minutes -- and he appears, at long last, to have the confidence of SVG. I don't think it is just a tradeoff between JJ and Vince. They can both be on the ocurt at the same time.

sagegrouse

It should also be kept in mind that right before carter hurt the ankle, he was absolutely tearing up the nets.
In orlando, jj is in a tough spot. Carter is a better offensive player than jj, and pietrus is a better defensive player.
If jjs shot is on, he will play more than his average. If he is slumping, then he probably will play less than his average. During his time in the nba, he has made huge strides to becoming a better all around player, but his premium skill is his shooting and that is his greatest asset. JJ has improved his passing and defense enough for him to do fine in those areas, but that is not his strongest skill.

theAlaskanBear
11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Of note, Grant Hill is averaging 20.0 pts and 9.7 rebs through the first 3 games. Those are nice fantasy numbers. Not bad for a 37 yr old who's gone through like six thousand ankle surgeries. If only he hadn't been robbed 6 years of his career by that ankle (Orlando might say they were robbed). It's amazing the kind of shape he's still in. Of course he is playing in an ideal system with D'antoni along with a weak rebounding front court where he should post some nice rebound numbers.

D'Antoni is with the NYK now, so....do you mean Steve Nash?

Also, Deng had another good game, with 26 points, 50% shooting, and 8 rbs

BobbyFan
11-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Great game by JJ yesterday.

Although his size will always put him at a disadvantage defensively, he has improved his positioning enough to the point that he is not the major liability he once was. And while he doesn't create much for teammates, he usually makes the right decisions when the ball is in his hands.

The problem, ironically, is that he has to be more consistent with his shooting. He can't just be a good shooter who occasionally gets hot. He can't shoot under 40% from the field like he did last year. He has to establish himself as one of the premier pure shooters in the league, something we all thought was a lock when he entered the league.

As for Pietrus, he is a better player than JJ. He holds a significant edge defensively and is also a better rebounder. JJ may have a greater offensive impact, but the advantage here isn't as much as it should be. If sharp shooting becomes the norm for him, then the JJ vs. Pietrus debate becomes more interesting.

robert
11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
It'll take more time than I have tonight to find the quotes. But the Magic used JJ against Kobe at times during the championship series. JJ looks very strong (to me) on the defensive end and does a great job of fighting through screens. He also knows about positioning and angles.

I mean, JJ played a lot of minutes in the playoffs last year without scoring a bunch of points.

sagegrouse

The quote is
"Van Gundy recently called SG J.J. Redick (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/sports/basketball/j.j.-redick-PESPT008456.topic) one of the team's top two perimeter defenders. Redick on Monday credited Van Gundy and Joe Rogowski, the team's strength and conditioning coach, for his improvement."

and can be found at the end of this article.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsmagic-notes-27102709oct27,0,5021144.story

Being a Magic fan, I have watched most of their games (a good number of them live) since JJ first arrived and I have seen his time go up as he has made more contributions even with his shot disappearing. His perimeter defense has improved tremendously as well as his ability to feed the post (both Howard and Gortat). Watching the playoffs last year, although he could not always keep up with the slashing 2 guards like Rondo or Kobe, he was their best defender on Ray Allen and was the main reason they were able to effectively shut Allen down in that series. It probably has a lot to do with JJ's experience running around all those screens at Duke so he does a very good job defending that type of shooting guard. That was a big reason why he got the starts after Courtney Lee went down with the face injury and kept it as long as he did in that playoff run even when Lee came back.

I don't see JJ getting 36 MPG this year but I see him getting a lot more burn than he did last year. With so many weapons this year, Van Gundy will probably be setting the lineups and minutes based on matchups quite a bit more than he normally does. Plus JJ place as Carter's backup is pretty solid and if his shot continues to resurface, he should see more minutes with the starters when he's hot.

As Magic fan of 15 years and a Duke fan of 30, there's nothing more I want to see next June than JJ on the floor when the Magic win the title.

Robert

hq2
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I think another problem with Shelden (from earlier; got it right this time) is that he has been on teams that have expected too much of him. When you're on bad teams, the pressure is on to score more. Boston has Pierce, Rasheed, Garnett, Ray Allen, Eddie House, Marquis Daniels and even Rondo, all of whom can score. In Boston, Shelden doesn't have to score. They need some help with rebounding and defense off the bench, and he can definitely do that. And, it helps to have a defensive minded coach (Rivers) and a defensive minded team leader (KG). On offense, all he has to do is set screens and picks (he can do that), run the floor (he can do that) pass the ball (he can do that) don't put up stupid shots or throw the ball away, (he can do that), shoot garbage buckets (he can do that) and hit free throws when he's fouled (he can do that). That's it. That's all they need from him. If he keeps doing all that, he'll get plenty of minutes and pick up some points too. I think we'll be seeing him play plenty over the next few months.

hc5duke
11-02-2009, 04:41 PM
dbr coverage (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=30208)
boxscore (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2009110128)

J.J. Redick 44:50min 8-14(fg) 5-8(3pt) 6-7(ft) 6(reb) 5(ast) 1(to) 1(stl) 0(blk) 3(fl) 27(pts)

how disappointing. he missed a free throw!

hq2
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Looks like Dahntay is getting some serious minutes in Indy. As as team with a lot of big slow guys up front, they need his slashing and driving to open things up in the middle. If he could work on getting a better drive-and-dish, he could really help them a lot. Definitely on the right team.

COYS
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I love how Battier can score 13 points, pull down only 4 boards, dish out 4 assists and have a +36 point differential in only 33 minutes of court time.

bigj4194
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
See my post in the first page of this thread. Here it is, below:

It updates itself after midnight, and it's not real-time statistics (and also doesn't track DNPs), but if you want something to read with your morning coffee, it should do the trick.

--grad_devil

Hey Grad_devil,
I love your stat tracker. Nice work. Just wanted to give you a thumbs up. I know you posted the seasons stats from last season? Any chance you have a cumulative collection of this years stats? Keep up the fantastic work.

jv001
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes and Mr. Jones can play D and that should get him minutes in Indy. Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
From the article linked on the front page

But he's still learning his way around the court with the ball and with his teammates.

He has a tendency to drive into traffic with nowhere to go.

"That's definitely the reason behind some of my turnovers," Jones said. Weren't we saying the same thing, over and over, while he was at Duke? Of course we were. Here's hoping he starts to learn not to do that. Quickly.

Good luck Dahntay!

Battierfan01
11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
WOW, I didn't realize that JJ played almost 45 minutes against Toronto. My guess is that he is still well conditioned and had more then a half tank of gas left at the end.

jipops
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
D'Antoni is with the NYK now, so....do you mean Steve Nash?

Also, Deng had another good game, with 26 points, 50% shooting, and 8 rbs

OOOPS. uh yeah.

grad_devil
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey Grad_devil,
I love your stat tracker. Nice work. Just wanted to give you a thumbs up. I know you posted the seasons stats from last season? Any chance you have a cumulative collection of this years stats? Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks a lot, bigj --

Unfortunately, I don't store any cumulative stats from the season. All my page does is provide a list of the Dukies who played on that date -- think of it as a subset of the ESPN Daily Leaders page that I reference.

If you want to see an individual's cumulative stats, click on their name on my page, and it will (should) take you their ESPN player page where that data is available.

--grad_devil

theAlaskanBear
11-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot, bigj --

Unfortunately, I don't store any cumulative stats from the season. All my page does is provide a list of the Dukies who played on that date -- think of it as a subset of the ESPN Daily Leaders page that I reference.

If you want to see an individual's cumulative stats, click on their name on my page, and it will (should) take you their ESPN player page where that data is available.

--grad_devil

I want to give you a big thanks as well! I visit the site every morning!

Also, for those that didnt see, Duhon had a great game last night. 18pts and 9ast I think. He scored 10 in the 4th quarter, including some huge free throws. The Knicks won by three. Also, Nate Robinson got injured, so Duhon and Douglas will have become iron-men PGs. I know Duhon struggled last year with back issues, so hopefully he can handle the minutes!

Greg_Newton
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I was disappointed to see G only got 4 minutes last night. Hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing...

NSDukeFan
11-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I was disappointed to see G only got 4 minutes last night. Hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing...

Raja Bell is healthy again and played last night. I was disappointed to see that as well and hope G gets more of a chance in the future. In my biased opinion, he will thrive.

juise
11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Looks like Dahntay is getting some serious minutes in Indy. As as team with a lot of big slow guys up front, they need his slashing and driving to open things up in the middle. If he could work on getting a better drive-and-dish, he could really help them a lot. Definitely on the right team.

Indy is getting spanked (73-57 with 4:43 left in Q3) by Dahntay's previous team, the Nuggets, tonight. However, Dahntay has come off the bench to lead Indiana in scoring thus far, 15 points in 18 minutes, and has the best +/- on the team (-2).

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-03-2009, 08:53 PM
There is an article on espn title "JJ may earn big payday." Don't have inside access to read it but it sounds good. especially after his huge game. He is struggling a little bit tonight though.

basket1544
11-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I love how Battier can score 13 points, pull down only 4 boards, dish out 4 assists and have a +36 point differential in only 33 minutes of court time.

I laughed at this so hard I started crying.
I'm watching Boozer and the Jazz play the Mavs right now. I've never seen Carlos struggle so much for his shot. I didn't get to see the game last night but I attributed his low percentage to the Rocket's defense (one Rocket in particular). But I don't know...

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Luol Deng is having a MONSTER game right now. JJ was pretty good and Grant Hill had a double double. DJ scored the most points on his team coming off the bench.

jipops
11-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Luol finished with a monster night - 24 and 20.

jipops
11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Weak night for both Elton and Carlos - 6pts and 10pts respectively. Neither are having an especially strong start, especially Elton who seems to be a shadow of himself (granted the Celtics are a tough matchup). Shelden did outscore Elton though going 5-8 for 11pts and 7 rebs.

Oriole Way
11-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Weak night for both Elton and Carlos - 6pts and 10pts respectively. Neither are having an especially strong start, especially Elton who seems to be a shadow of himself (granted the Celtics are a tough matchup). Shelden did outscore Elton though going 5-8 for 11pts and 7 rebs.

Elton really is a different player. I imagine the Achilles injury might still be affecting him, hopefully his regression is not permanent.

The Sixers' front office should really be fired for not going out to get a great PG, yet letting a decent playmaker in Andre Miller go. They also have failed to address their most glaring need the past two offseasons, getting a talented shooting guard who can hit long-range shots consistently and open up the floor.

Carlos has also been derailed by injuries the past few seasons, but I think he will be productive as long as he stays on the floor.

Good to see Luol Deng re-assert himself and J.J. Redick finally show what he is capable of. One of the Detroit TV announcers remarked tonight that is was the most comfortable he's seen J.J. in the NBA. Shelden has been solid as a workman-like role-player, but I still think he's in a terrible situation for playing time once Glen Davis returns. We just need Mike Dunleavy to recover fully and it should be a good season for NBA Dukies.

SilkyJ
11-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Linky bump.

http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

With Raja back in the lineup and Larry Brown's propensity for not playing rookies, I think it may be a regular occurrence...

Also glad to see sheld getting burn and playing well. Hopefully he can get some more non-garbage time minutes as well...

bigj4194
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM

--grad_devil

Fantastic...i didn't even notice that feature :) WAY TO GO!

I'm glad to see both Shelden and JJ getting good minutes and producing from them...hopefully when the players they are subbing for due to injury come back we will still get to see them with some good minutes as they have proved their worth.

hq2
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Another good night for Shelden last night. Scored 11 points, including 2 turnaround jumpers, a pick and roll dunk, and an awesome rip-the-ball-away and-put-it-in offensive rebound. Plus, 7 boards and good D in about 23 minutes. He's fitting in real well up here; the C's are a defensive minded team, and they get him the ball in scoring position so he doesn't have to force up shots like he did on lousy teams. He's already a better defender and rebounder than Big Baby; if he keeps playing like this, Baby's going to have a hard time getting his minutes back when he returns.

Bostondevil
11-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Report from Boston - from sports talk radio to local news interviews with Doc Rivers to the Cous and Tommy themselves, Shelden is getting a lot of attention, the good kind. Folks seem happy to have him wearin' the green.

grit74
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
One the CBS site, the list of Duke players has five listed as power forwards. Not bad given Duke's failure to develop big men:) NOT!

UCLA has a lot of point guards.

jesus_hurley
11-04-2009, 04:30 PM
One the CBS site, the list of Duke players has five listed as power forwards. Not bad given Duke's failure to develop big men:) NOT!

Don't you remember that all those guys came to Duke ready for the pros? The staff didn't have to develop them. They just had to stay out of the way so careers weren't ruined! :D

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 04:31 PM

But more important is how they're playing which imo is only average.

DukieInBrasil
11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
WOW!!! Lots of good things happening for former Devils so far, so much for any skepticism following Day 1. Deng and Grant Hill have both shown a lot more rebounding prowess, Deng had 20! and Grant also posted a 2x double for the second time this year. JJ is now in the starting line-up in Orlando, mostly cuz he is shooting the 3ball well. Shelden continues to provide solid play in Boston. Dhantay continues to show a re-vamped offensive game to complement his solid D.
Brand in Philly has yet to do too much of great note and Boozer in Utah is also playing a shade below his normal self. Hopefully both big guys can find the groove, it is still a long season.
Go alumni!!!

3ptSpecialist
11-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Grant Hill is playing great right now. Hopefully he can stay healthy this season. He's one of the guys that I hope wins a NBA Title, should've signed with Boston though.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Grant Hill is playing great right now. Hopefully he can stay healthy this season. He's one of the guys that I hope wins a NBA Title, should've signed with Boston though.

Or Lebron's team

moonpie23
11-04-2009, 10:04 PM
hubie brown just complimented shelden on his contributions to the celtics team.... :)

mo.st.dukie
11-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Dahntay started tonight against the Knicks at put up a double-double, 19pts and 12 rebs in 38 min. He is the second leading scorer for the Pacers averaging 14.3ppg. Duhon played well too finishing with 10 pts. and 6 assists.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Dahntay is really impressing me this season. He was good last season but he has really shown improvement.

JasonEvans
11-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Dahntay is really impressing me this season. He was good last season but he has really shown improvement.

It is the effect of the Rutgers coaching finally coming through.

--Jason " ;) " Evans

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Dahntay has taken an absurd amount of turns in the NBA. He started as an athletic guy who could attack the rim but lacked a jump shot, then became an athletic guy who didn't attack the rim and also lacked a jump shot, then went to the D-league (which was a result of the previous point), then became a lock-down defender, and is now a lock-down defender who can score decently. I'm waiting for the lock-down-defender-who-attacks-the-rim-and-has-an-amazing-jump-shot/3-point-shot. Am I asking too much?

bigj4194
11-05-2009, 09:41 AM
As this is a dukies in the NBA thread i thought this was appropriate. A friend of mine found this and sent it to me. Enjoy!
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/True-Blue/Wallpaper-1/7213951_TyZir#702443005_9dPMX-O-LB

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
As this is a dukies in the NBA thread i thought this was appropriate. A friend of mine found this and sent it to me. Enjoy!
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/True-Blue/Wallpaper-1/7213951_TyZir#702443005_9dPMX-O-LB

Someone gave Duhon a frontal lobotomy...

Battierfan01
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Man I would love to see Grant finish his career with a NBA Championship. He is truly one of the great guys in the NBA and has always been one of my favorite Dukies!! There are a lot of guys that would have "hung em up" a long time ago if they would have had Grant's injuries.

SilkyJ
11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
But more important is how they're playing which imo is only average.

Not fair at all. Elton brand has averaged 20/10 for his career, but has been slowed by injuries in the past few years.

Boozer is a 2 time all star (2007/2008, all nba 3rd team 2008) and an olympic gold medalist and was hampered by injuries last year. from 06-08 he averaged 21 and 10.5. Last year once he got healthy he averaged 20 and 13 in the playoffs and for his career has averaged 20 and 12 in the playoffs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Boozer#Awards_and_honors

Both are off to tough starts this year, but its an 82 game season. Let's not forget that. these guys play triple the amount of games college players do.

dukemsu
11-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Luol just helped (along with Noah) to deny King James a game winning bucket. James tried to draw the foul, but Noah and Luol played it great. Luol continued his strong early play.

Huge win for the Bulls at Cleveland. LeBron and Shaq are a work in progress.

dukemsu

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Luol is a beast, i think if he can stay injury free he can be one of the top ten players in the nba.

Bob Green
11-07-2009, 06:19 AM
J.J. Redick has scored in double figures in five out of six games so far this young season. He is averaging 14.7 ppg and scored 16 against Detroit Friday night:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=291106019

It is exciting to see J.J. start to excel in the NBA. This year has the markings as an especially gratifying season for Redick fans.

NSDukeFan
11-07-2009, 11:32 AM
J.J. Redick has scored in double figures in five out of six games so far this young season. He is averaging 14.7 ppg and scored 16 against Detroit Friday night:

It is exciting to see J.J. start to excel in the NBA. This year has the markings as an especially gratifying season for Redick fans.

It certainly has been exciting so far to see J.J. playing lots (over 30 minutes per game), getting some starts in there (including when Mickael Pietrus has been an option) and taking advantage of the opportunity. If this continues, I would expect J.J. to still get major minutes when Vince is back full time. Fantastic!

darthur
11-07-2009, 04:08 PM

I really love watching him play, and in my very biased opinion, he really earns his minutes. I hope Stan van Gundy continues to agree with me once Pietrus and Carter are both healthy!

Greg_Newton
11-07-2009, 04:32 PM
It certainly has been exciting so far to see J.J. playing lots (over 30 minutes per game), getting some starts in there (including when Mickael Pietrus has been an option) and taking advantage of the opportunity. If this continues, I would expect J.J. to still get major minutes when Vince is back full time. Fantastic!

Yeah, I'll take a brief respite from football to point out that not only did JJ start over Pietrus, he outscored him 16-3 when they both played about 30 minutes. Seems to have been hitting his 3's at about a 50% clip lately too, nice job.

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Seems to have been hitting his 3's at about a 50% clip lately too, nice job.

Indeed. I think he's been shooting worse from the field than from 3, actually.

Yes, yes he is: 45% overall

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3024

Newton_14
11-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Indeed. I think he's been shooting worse from the field than from 3, actually.

Yes, yes he is: 45% overall

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3024

He is doing well and finally seems to have hit a "comfort zone" which freed his shot up a little bit. I hope he keeps it up.

Obviously he goes back to the bench when Lewis and Carter return but hopefully stays in the rotation and gets 20+ minutes a game. I mainly worry about Barnes taking minutes from him. Outside of that I think JJ remains in a good role.

Plus, it may be that at times they go with a line up of Nelson, JJ, Lewis, Carter, Superman.

Anyway, just glad to see JJ playing at a level we all knew he could...

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Sheld finding ways to contribute as well, even in limited minutes in close games. Maybe those minutes will increase though. 8 of them tonight came to start the 4th quarter when the Celtics were down 2. He played good D, knocked down FTs, got a nice offensive board and putback at one point while amongst the trees and almost put down an oop from Ray Allen on the break (would have been a pretty sick one hander...announcer blamed it on Sheld, but I think the pass was a touch high. No way he could have gotten 2 hands on it so its hard to blame him.) Doc stuck with him through 2 timeouts in the 4th as the mostly 2nd unit started to pull away from NJ in what had been a neck and neck game.

He was +11 during the 4th.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=291107017

FireOgilvie
11-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Gerald's minutes have disappeared to basically 0 the last 2 games. He didn't play today. I haven't heard anything about an injury, so I am guessing the coach is just keeping him out now that Raja Bell is back.

SilkyJ
11-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Gerald's minutes have disappeared to basically 0 the last 2 games. He didn't play today. I haven't heard anything about an injury, so I am guessing the coach is just keeping him out now that Raja Bell is back.

In the same game, Luol had a double double in 47 mins (no OT). Hes clearly the anchor of that team, though I think whoever said he might be a top 10 player is probably exaggerating a bit.

As for G: its really simple, Larry Brown doesn't play rookies. Augustin was the exception last year, but he was all-rookie 2nd team, and last year had OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Russel Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Chalmers and Rudy Fernandez as rookie guards. He was good. The bobcats are thin at SG, but the versaility/athleticism of guys like graham, diaw, and wallace means they can improvise on the wing.

I don't expect G to average more than 8-10mpg, with probably 10-20 DNPs...injuries could obviously change everything...

Billy Dat
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Silky - good call on Shelden...looks like the Boston fans are catching on:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/11/9/1122521/shelden-williams-solid-paint-work

Make sure to read the comments at the bottom.

SilkyJ
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Silky - good call on Shelden...looks like the Boston fans are catching on:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/11/9/1122521/shelden-williams-solid-paint-work

Make sure to read the comments at the bottom.

I really liked this part:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/205521/sheldensm.jpg

SilkyJ
11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
On tonight's note:

Booz put up 23 and 14, which is good b/c he had been struggling a little in the early going.

Elton continues to struggle with only 10pts and 2rebs in 21(!) minutes. Guys like Jason Smith and Mareese Speights are eating into his and Dalembert's minutes, which is kind of surprising...

Duhon's rough shooting continued: 8pts/4asts/3rebs on 2-7 shooting...his minutes are declining as well...he's shooting 25% from the field and is 6-29 on 3s this year...yikes.

Grant had another solid night going for 11/8/3 and is averaging 13.6pts, 8.7rebs, and 1.9asts for the year. He has 4 double digit rebounding games in only 8 games so far this year. Its like he just decided to prove he could still do things people think he's too old for, like rebound with the big boys.

SilkyJ
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I really liked this part:

Thanks, Jason! How did we not come up with this before?!

File this under 11-E I guess.

On tonight's note:
Duhon's rough shooting continued: 8pts/4asts/3rebs on 2-7 shooting...his minutes are declining as well...he's shooting 25% from the field and is 6-29 on 3s this year...yikes.

Should have mentioned that one of the guys eating into Duhon's minutes is Toney Douglas who went for 21pts in 23 mins last night and look very good overall. His D is really good as well, and I only saw him when the Knicks were playing a zone and he was just all over the place deflecting passes. He's gone for 16 and now 21 in his last two games...

Should also mentioned that D'Antoni did play Duhon and Douglas alongside eachother for a spell in both the 1st and 2nd half.

JaMarcus Russell
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Did anyone else see the ending of the Nuggets-Bulls game? Brad Miller apparently made the game winning shot with 0.1 seconds left, but after a 5 minute review, the officials decided that he still had a fingertip on the ball as the clock expired. It was probably the closest call I have ever seen.

Deng had a nice game though, scoring 21 points, grabbing 6 boards, 5 assists, and 2 blocks.

ETA: Vince Carter came back today for the Magic, but Redick still played 23 minutes and had 8 points and 3 assists.

SilkyJ
11-11-2009, 03:14 AM
^Did not see the end of that game but am turning on sportscenter now...

Shane had a bit of an off night going 1-8 and had a (gulp) +/- of -24!

DukieInBrasil
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM
JJ started last night, even with Vince available. He did a decent job, tho Vince scored more and played more minutes.
Deng seems to have found his groove and Boozer is doing pretty well, he has had several really nice games.
Elton is not going to be starting in Philly much longer if he keeps playing like he is. Ditto, maybe, for Duhon in NYC.
I really liked that article about Shelden. Image is worth a lot in the pro sports world and it seems like Shelden is developing a positive image in Boston.
As for Gerald of the Bobs, it is not surprising that his minutes have evaporated, given that he plays for a notorious "rookie hater". He had a pair of mildly successful games early and hasnīt seen the floor much since.

hq2
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Shelden's getting good ink up here. Hard to say what'll happen when Big Baby comes back. My bet is it'll depend on the game situation. Doc will probably play Baby more for offense, Shelden more for defense and rebounding. We'll see how things shake out.

SilkyJ
11-11-2009, 07:05 PM
JJ started last night, even with Vince available. He did a decent job, tho Vince scored more and played more minutes.
Deng seems to have found his groove and Boozer is doing pretty well, he has had several really nice games.
Elton is not going to be starting in Philly much longer if he keeps playing like he is. Ditto, maybe, for Duhon in NYC.
I really liked that article about Shelden. Image is worth a lot in the pro sports world and it seems like Shelden is developing a positive image in Boston.
As for Gerald of the Bobs, it is not surprising that his minutes have evaporated, given that he plays for a notorious "rookie hater". He had a pair of mildly successful games early and hasnīt seen the floor much since.

Thanks. This was all posted and articulated earlier in the thread.

Newton_14
11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I hate to see Gerald's minutes go down like that. It was the one thing I was afraid of once the Bobcats selected him. Maybe he will catch a break and see more court time as the season moves along.

Some of the other guys have had slow starts but hopefully they will get it going soon. But Dahntay has sure come out of the gate strong. He is playing really well. He had a great game against the Wizards the other night.

jipops
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
A truly dreadful night for the Dukies tonight:

Brand 0-6
Duhon 0-6
Redick 1-5

Brand must still be injured. He doesn't look at all like the same guy he was 2 years ago. Speights is completely outplaying him. Duhon has been stinking it up lately, as have the rest of the Knicks. Just one of the nights for JJ, his minutes have predictably and understandably dwindled with Carter's return.

FireOgilvie
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
A truly dreadful night for the Dukies tonight:

Brand 0-6
Duhon 0-6
Redick 1-5

Brand must still be injured. He doesn't look at all like the same guy he was 2 years ago. Speights is completely outplaying him. Duhon has been stinking it up lately, as have the rest of the Knicks. Just one of the nights for JJ, his minutes have predictably and understandably dwindled with Carter's return.

JJ finished with 10 points on 3-7 shooting. In the end, not too bad.

Luol had 18 pts, 8 rebounds. Maggette had 21 points, 6 rebounds.

On an unrelated note, how good is Brandon Jennings? 32 points, 9 assists as the Bucks beat the Nuggets. He's had an incredible start this year for a rookie. Although maybe we shouldn't be too surprised about tonight as Lawson was probably guarding him for a lot of the game.

SilkyJ
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
On an unrelated note, how good is Brandon Jennings? 32 points, 9 assists as the Bucks beat the Nuggets. He's had an incredible start this year for a rookie. Although maybe we shouldn't be too surprised about tonight as Lawson was probably guarding him for a lot of the game.

Dude, totally beat me to it. I am kicking myself for not picking him up in my fantasy league when I had the chance (after 2 games).

Sheld also got some run tonight and put in 6 and 6 in 20mins...but it was in another blowout. speaking of my fantasy team, all these celtics blowouts are killing KG's minutes and hence fantasy stats!

Also, Hansbro went for 11 and 8 on 3-12 shooting, but got to the line 8 times...he is clearly ahead of McBob on the Depth chart though. Good for McBob for continuing to earn an NBA paycheck, but I wonder if we'll ever seem him and Shav get more PT than they do right now...

FireOgilvie
11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Also, Hansbro went for 11 and 8 on 3-12 shooting, but got to the line 8 times...he is clearly ahead of McBob on the Depth chart though. Good for McBob for continuing to earn an NBA paycheck, but I wonder if we'll ever seem him and Shav get more PT than they do right now...

Since you mentioned him, I feel compelled to add that he also had a +/- of -6, the worst on the team, and he committed 5 fouls in 16 minutes.

Grant Hill has 12 points early in the 2nd quarter.

Bomar
11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I came here to say that Grant Hill ain't lookin' too bad tonight. Steve Nash is on fire!

BobbyFan
11-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I came here to say that Grant Hill ain't lookin' too bad tonight.

It's nice to see Hill have productive time on the floor after all the injury troubles he had earlier in his career.

Even at 37, we still see glimpses of his incredible skill. Easily the most talented Duke player I've ever seen.

darthur
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Steve Nash is on fire!

Steve Nash's numbers for the year so far are a good step up from his MVP year numbers. It's interesting how little press he gets, even with his team 7-1 on a brutal schedule.

It's also interesting how insane Chris Paul's numbers are (26 ppg and 10 apg on 63% shooting, 68% on threes!) and how bad his team is doing despite that. If I'm Chris Paul, I'm starting to think long and hard about how to get off the Hornets.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Not a Dukie but this kid Brandon Jennings is SPECIAL.*in the good way*

SilkyJ
11-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Since you mentioned him, I feel compelled to add that he also had a +/- of -6, the worst on the team, and he committed 5 fouls in 16 minutes.

Grant Hill has 12 points early in the 2nd quarter.

Thanks for pointing that out. I felt bad for even writing something remotely positive about him; now I feel better for giving you the chance to set me straight :)

Grant finished with 18 6 and 3 and with a +/- of +22, best on the team.

hq2
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Meanwhile, back in Boston.

Shelden actually had a pretty quiet 6 and 6 last night; had some problems on D at times, didn't really get into the groove on the boards until late. Boozer had 10 points, and wasn't that much of a factor. Game showed that both are just about an inch too short to be really good NBA defenders, although they both put out the effort.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I really hope Boozer picks it up, Deng is doing his thing, i can see him at the all star game this year.

shoutingncu
11-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Sports Center had a nice feature on Lawson's "defense" of Jennings. Well, "nice" is only the right word on this board.

sagegrouse
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Meanwhile, back in Boston.

Shelden.... Boozer.... Game showed that both are just about an inch too short to be really good NBA defenders, although they both put out the effort.

Your in-depth analysis seemed more than an inch too short to be worth posting.:rolleyes:

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Mixed bag last night.

Booz went big: 24/12/4, 3 stls and 3 TOs

Rough one for JJ: 0-6, but played 33mins, had 5 boards 2 dimes and a steal. Its kind of weird, but good, that he continues to earn time with his D and "little things" play and not his scoring

Shane went off for 23, his best scoring game of the year.

Duhon had another rough shooting night:1-7, finished with 5 pts 7asts and 4 rebs. He's 18-79 on the year, 23%.

Maggette had 22pts in only 25 mins off the bench. He is only averaging 21mpg despite being the big free agent signee of last year and the 3rd highest paid player behind Monta Ellis (to be expected) and Andris Biedrins (say what?! - dude is getting 9m/year for the next 4-5 years...
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm)

In the same game, Steph Curry only got 3 mins, and I think it was a Nellie's decision. He's been averaging 26mpg and had never played less than 20.

Newton_14
11-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Mixed bag last night.

Booz went big: 24/12/4, 3 stls and 3 TOs

Rough one for JJ: 0-6, but played 33mins, had 5 boards 2 dimes and a steal. Its kind of weird, but good, that he continues to earn time with his D and "little things" play and not his scoring

Shane went off for 23, his best scoring game of the year..

Thanks Silky. Good report. Glad to see some of our guys having good games in what will go down in history as one of the worst weeks ever for Duke sports.. I am looking forward to midnight tonight and the start of a new week!

But one question. I have always wondered why Shane did not become a better scorer in the NBA. He certainly had plenty of offensive skills coming out of college.

Is it a slow release on the jumper or something else? That one has long mystified me..

jipops
11-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Silky. Good report. Glad to see some of our guys having good games in what will go down in history as one of the worst weeks ever for Duke sports.. I am looking forward to midnight tonight and the start of a new week!

But one question. I have always wondered why Shane did not become a better scorer in the NBA. He certainly had plenty of offensive skills coming out of college.

Is it a slow release on the jumper or something else? That one has long mystified me..

It helps to have the ability to create your own offense to be a scorer in the NBA. This is something that Shane just doesn't possess, never has. Shane's scoring is off of spot-ups or put backs. He is quite aware of this physical limitation, but he's gone down as being one of the most effective players that doesn't make big waves on the stat sheet.

SilkyJ
11-14-2009, 11:06 PM

I think its more of a fact of his team always asking him to do literally everything else, with scoring as a secondary concern. Remember that NYT article about Shane? He gets a 40+ page scouting report before each game to study and prepare, no one else on his team probably even reads the executive summary.

In Saturday games...

Sheld was one board shy of a double double tonight: 10/9 in 18mins.

Same for Luol: 19/9...and in the same game elton had 11 and 6 in 31 mins. Elton is off to a rough start averaging 10 and 5 and shooting only 42%. He shoots 50% for his career.

Boozer finally had 2 good games in a row going for 25 and 12 and is now averaging 17 and 10 on the season.

Dahntay continued his resurgence going for 25/4/4 including 11-15 from the line. Its good to see him playing to his potential. I think that season in Denver last year really brought him back.

And in other news...Brandon Jennings went for 55(!) 5 and 5, shooting 21-34 and 6-7 on 3s in his 6th game as a pro. The next most FGA on the team was 12 by Andrew Bogut. Milwaukee is now a surprising 5-2 on the season.

jipops
11-14-2009, 11:15 PM
I think its more of a fact of his team always asking him to do literally everything else, with scoring as a secondary concern. Remember that NYT article about Shane? He gets a 40+ page scouting report before each game to study and prepare, no one else on his team probably even reads the executive summary.

One of my favorite parts of that article was Shane discussing his fan demographic. Something like under 12 and older than 50. A self deprecating guy who wants to win as bad as anyone.

Maggette also dropped 25.

ice-9
11-14-2009, 11:31 PM
BONUS!

Check out Shel stuffing Hansblah and then running out to dunk the alley hoop: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291114011 (see recap video)

SilkyJ
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM
BONUS!

Check out Shel stuffing Hansblah and then running out to dunk the alley hoop: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291114011 (see recap video)

Oh that was sweet!! Thanks!

FireOgilvie
11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
BONUS!

Hahaha that's fantastic. Everyone needs to watch this.

duke09hms
11-15-2009, 12:14 AM
hell yeah! Big ups to Shelden Williams for coming to the Celtics in shape and ready to contribute this year!

This is the play of the NBA season for me already haha

juise
11-15-2009, 03:59 AM
That was a great play by Shelden on both ends. I'm also really impressed by Dahntay's consistency; 25 points, 4 boards, 4 assists in 33 minutes. The only sad part is that he and Dunleavy will compete for minutes when Mike's ready to come back.

Dukeford
11-15-2009, 11:15 AM
hell yeah! Big ups to Shelden Williams for coming to the Celtics in shape and ready to contribute this year!

This is the play of the NBA season for me already haha

Hey, did anybody check out the box score?
Josh McRoberts scored a point in that game!!

SilkyJ
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Raja Bell and Vlad Radmonovic traded to the warriors for Stephen Jackson and Acie Law.

Jackson is more of a SF than SG, so could help G, but in reality probably won't. They trade one wing player for another, and both were ahead of G on the depth chart.

Keep working G, you'll get your shot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4659552

In other news from last night: Shane managed only 3 pts on 1-6 shooting in 18mins (foul trouble), and added 2rebs and 3 dimes as the Rockets beat the lakers. Kobe was held to 5-20 from the field (which, incidentally cost me the victory in my fantasy basketball league. I was up by .010 in FG% going into that game and ended up down .001), though he was hampered by a groin injury.

SilkyJ
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Another quiet night for the devils:

G did not see the floor tonight in a close game with the Magic. Not likely to change either with Flip Murray the primary backup SG going off for 31.

JJ only saw 4 minutes of action, all in the first half. Unclear (to me at least, if others have more knowledge please divulge) if this is related to his play, Rashard lewis coming back, or a minor injury suffered on Sunday.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Another quiet night for the devils:

G did not see the floor tonight in a close game with the Magic. Not likely to change either with Flip Murray the primary backup SG going off for 31.

JJ only saw 4 minutes of action, all in the first half. Unclear (to me at least, if others have more knowledge please divulge) if this is related to his play, Rashard lewis coming back, or a minor injury suffered on Sunday.

Or maybe Van Gundy just going back to his old ways.

SilkyJ
11-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Or maybe Van Gundy just going back to his old ways.

Yea, thats what I was basically saying with "related to his play," i.e. not shooting it all that well. He has had a short leash in the past, so we'll see...

mike88
11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
JJ did twist his ankle and that is part of the reason he got less minutes last night, but I also think his poor shooting and resolution of Lewis suspension and Vince's injury contributed as well.

No one is a bigger JJ fan than me, but if you look at his performance apart from the one game when he scored 27, I don't see how you could justify keeping his minutes up, particularly when he is competing with Vince and Pietrus for time at the 2-spot (although Pietrus has not been playing well either).

That said, the Magic announced today that Jameer Nelson has a torn meniscus and will be out 4-6 weeks, so JJ could see more time if SVG plays Vince and JJ together . . . the Magic are having a tough time with injuries this season

Billy Dat
11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
"Garnett praised the bench and stood to cheer Shelden Williams' good work (6 boards, 6 points). Of Boston's new players, Garnett said, "The shocker is Shelden Williams. I don't think anyone predicted his worth ethic and how he's able to keep rebounding and his production in the small minutes (19 last night) he plays. He's perfect for this team. ... He's high-energy.""

SilkyJ
11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
That said, the Magic announced today that Jameer Nelson has a torn meniscus and will be out 4-6 weeks, so JJ could see more time if SVG plays Vince and JJ together . . . the Magic are having a tough time with injuries this season

That really sucks for Jameer. Being from philly, where he went to college at St Joe's, I've always been a fan

As for our boys last night:

Luol notched his 3rd double double (16 and 10) and has 4 addt'l games with 8 or more rebs. He's averaging 17 and 9 on the season. Good for him to be healthy and playing well (and earning that contract. Some Chi-twn fans were beginning to write him off, I feared)

Corey also had a double double going for 19 and 11.

Dahntay continued his solid play putting up 17, 5 rebs, 4 asts and 3 stls.

Grant grabbed 11 and 7, shane 10 3 and 2 in the same game.

In other ACC action: JJ hickson has been starting as of late and had arguably his best game as a pro: 21 and 9 on a perfect 9-9 from the field. He barely played in the first 6 or so games, but has averaged about 25-30mpg in the last 5 games and has gone for 18, 20 and 21 in his last 3. If he cements himself in the rotation alongside Shaq in the post, I think Cleveland is the team to beat in the East.

Hansbro was 0-5 in 16 mins with 4 rebs. Lawson had 4pts and 6asts (and 3 TOs) in 23 mins. Jared Dudley had 8 and 6 in 18mins for the suns...

I'm sure there are plenty of other recent ACC players I missed, but oh well...

Billy Dat
11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Ty Lawson tortured us during his tenure in college, but even I didn't think the kid had this kind of hops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkhvdCjUSs&feature=related

You know it's worth watching if I am pimping for a Tar Heel....plus it also involves State's Josh Powell.

RainingThrees
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I am predicting Dahntay Jones to be the most improved player in the NBA if he continues to play as he is now. Where was this offense early on in his career?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I am predicting Dahntay Jones to be the most improved player in the NBA if he continues to play as he is now. Where was this offense early on in his career?

Well i hope so.

SilkyJ
11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Ty Lawson tortured us during his tenure in college, but even I didn't think the kid had this kind of hops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkhvdCjUSs&feature=related

You know it's worth watching if I am pimping for a Tar Heel....plus it also involves State's Josh Powell.

pretty nasty...but he traveled

sagegrouse
11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
19 pts. and 10 rebounds through three Q's vs. Charlotte.

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I am watching Knicks v Pacers right now...

-Dahntay is really playing with a ton of confidence, his offensive game looks like it did his senior year....nice 20 footer, nice midrange game, out on the break, some hustle points...I am very impressed.

-Psycho T is making a lot of things happen on the court...right now he has 14 pts in 14 minutes.

-Duhon is terrible right now, just awful. I hate to see it as I really root for Chris. I wish Toney Douglas would get his minutes.

-He hasn't gotten into the game yet, but they showed McRoberts on the bench and his hairdo is RIDICULOUS! It's some kind of weird shag.

-FWIW, Danny Granger put up 31 in the first half. Also, the much slimmed down Eddie Curry looks pretty good in his limited minutes.

SilkyJ
11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Didn't see the game like Billy, but Duhon's poor shooting continued: 1-6. He did have 8asts, but in D'Antoni's system those numbers can just be meaningless. (Billy: is there any silver lining here? good defense? good floor general? If you're a knicks fan maybe the silver lining is that Toney Douglas looks like a STEAL. I think people round these parts knew he's be solid pro, but those genius NBA scouts overlooked another one...)

In the same game, as mentioned, Dahntay finished with 25pts, 6rebs, 3asts, 2stls, 2blks...but 5 TOs, which have been a problem for him all year. Re: Hansbro maybe the most suprising thing so far is that he is only hitting 63% of his FTs. I expect that to increase.

As Sage mentioned Elton had his best game of the season: 19/11 and 6 blocks and a smattering of other stats. Gerald got 6 minutes in this game hitting two freebies and getting a board.

Maggette: 23 and 8 (started this time, probably b/c S. Jackson is now gone)
(steph curry had 13 and 7 and 4 stls in the same game)

Sheld had 4 and 3 in 15mins in the same game...

JJ had 9/3/3 in 21mins off the bench. 3-4 from 3 (3-4 overall). Glad to see his ankle injury was nothing serious. He's hitting 3s at a 42% clip so far.

Boozer is getting into his rhythm: 22 and 18, and could have been more if not for being 4-8 from the stripe. He's scored 20+ in 3 straight.

Shane had a shane game: 9pts, 4rebs, 5asts, 2stls and played 41mins.

Billy Dat
11-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Didn't see the game like Billy, but Duhon's poor shooting continued: 1-6. He did have 8asts, but in D'Antoni's system those numbers can just be meaningless. (Billy: is there any silver lining here? good defense? good floor general? If you're a knicks fan maybe the silver lining is that Toney Douglas looks like a STEAL. I think people round these parts knew he's be solid pro, but those genius NBA scouts overlooked another one...)

I wrote my note prior to the Knick's stirring 4th quarter comeback, and D'Antoni went with Duhon down the stretch. Despite that, nothing is really going right for Chris...his D is average, his floor generalship is average, but his shooting/scoring is absolutely atrocious. They mentioned near the start of the game that he was in the midst of a 3-31 shooting stretch. He is currently shooting 22% from the floor and 22% from 3pt land. Everytime he takes a shot I wince. I expect he'll snap out of it, but he's not setting himself up well for free agency right now...it's a long season...it's a long season..it's a long season.

Toney Douglas was a steal, but when you consider that we could have nabbed Brandon "Young Money" Jennings instead of Jordan Hill, who is stuck on the bench on our awful team, it's hard to see any silver lining.

Thankfully, I have Duke to root for. Unless I get free Knick tickets, I'll only be watching hoops in MSG 3 times this year...and 2x are next week!!!

juise
11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
pretty nasty...but he traveled

When in Rome...

moonpie23
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4674184

towards the end of the article

jipops
11-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Elton posted another nice one tonight with 18 and 14. He's had two double-doubles in the last 3 games. It looks like he may FINALLY be getting over the injury. Good to see the big guy coming back. Too bad his team stinks.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Elton is getting alot better. And Danhtay does appear to be slowing down.

juise
11-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Elton is getting alot better.

He and Carlos have both had a string of strong performances lately. It's very good to see.

And Danhtay does appear to be slowing down.

I assume you meant "does not appear." He's scoring ~19pts/game in his last five and ~17pts/game on the season. His other stats are fairly consistent with the rest of the season (including making ~50% of his FG). That certainly doesn't seem like a downward trend.

mike88
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
JJ had a great game today, scoring 19 points (4-7 on 3 pointers), handing out 5 assists and helping Orlando overcome poor shooting from VC and Lewis to get an important road win vs. Toronto. JJ played 30 minutes and led the team in +/-.

I am looking forward to seeing the Magic play in Orlando Wednesday night vs Miami (the game is on ESPN); they also play Thanksgiving night at Atlanta on TNT, which will be a very tough back to back. The Southeast division has been very tough so far this year, although Miami has cooled off a little.

Hopefully, JJ will continue his strong contribution off the bench. Having watched them Friday night, I am concerned a little that the Magic have fallen into the "stand around and watch Vince" offense, which is not a great recipe for success in the playoffs.

doctorhook
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
What is up with C. Duhon's offense? I watch him play and he is such a good floor leader, passer, etc. but he has got to get his mojo going on the offensive side. I just checked his stats and he is shooting 25% from the floor, 23% from 3 point line.

JaMarcus Russell
11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
It was great to see JJ with a great shooting performance, just like when he was back at Duke. Gerald got 7 points tonight in 7 minutes for the Bobcats, while Dahntay added 19 points, 4 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals for the Pacers. It looks his decision to sign with Indiana in free agency was a brilliant career move.

SilkyJ
11-23-2009, 01:37 AM
The knicks took the celtics to OT tonight and lost by 2. Duhon had another bad night shooting, but player 47mins. D'Antoni's gonna keep riding him for a little longer I guess.

Its weird that Toney douglas was playing so well and is now back to riding the bench. He had a 4 game stretch where he averaged ~25mpg and scored ~19/game. That stretch ended 3 games ago where he's seen the floor for a handful of minutes each game. Maybe Dantoni is trying to keep chris from getting nervous about his job?

Sheld played 9 minutes and hit his only shot.

He and Carlos have both had a string of strong performances lately. It's very good to see.

I assume you meant "does not appear." He's scoring ~19pts/game in his last five and ~17pts/game on the season. His other stats are fairly consistent with the rest of the season (including making ~50% of his FG). That certainly doesn't seem like a downward trend.

must have been a slip. Another strong outing tonight: 19,4,4 and 2 blks and 2 stls w/ 2TOs. Gerald got some run for the first time in a while: 7mins and 7pts on 3-6.

mike88
11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
It was great to see JJ with a great shooting performance, just like when he was back at Duke. Gerald got 7 points tonight in 7 minutes for the Bobcats, while Dahntay added 19 points, 4 boards, 4 assists, and 2 steals for the Pacers. It looks his decision to sign with Indiana in free agency was a brilliant career move.

The Bobcats-Pacers was fun to watch as an ACC "alumni game". The Bobcats won big, but Dahntay and Hans both played well in the parts of the game I watched. Gerald had a great steal of a cross-court pass and dunk on the other end.

Greg_Newton
11-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Henderson had a SICK dunk tonight. Can't find it online, but it is play #8 of the day on SC.

That is all.

juise
11-26-2009, 02:02 AM
Henderson had a SICK dunk tonight. Can't find it online, but it is play #8 of the day on SC.

That is all.

Was it the alley-oop at the end of this highlight (http://www.nba.com/video/games/bobcats/2009/11/25/0020900208_tor_cha_recap.nba/)?

Incidentally, G had a career high 15 points tonight.

Greg_Newton
11-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Was it the alley-oop at the end of this highlight (http://www.nba.com/video/games/bobcats/2009/11/25/0020900208_tor_cha_recap.nba/)?

Incidentally, G had a career high 15 points tonight.

It actually wasn't, although that one was pretty nasty too. A passer hit him cutting baseline and, well, you know how this one ends. I don't think it's on nba.com or espn.com unless ESPN has it's daily top 10s somewhere.

Great to see G showing his stuff a little, even in a blowout. Out of the 9 Duke alums who played tonight, he was actually the top performer: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-26-2009, 03:07 AM

I meant Does Not. Sorry.

jimsumner
11-26-2009, 10:33 AM
FWIW,

I am told by people who are in a position to know, that Mike Dunleavy's ETA is around Christmas.

05/18/2005
11-26-2009, 04:50 PM
FWIW,

I am told by people who are in a position to know, that Mike Dunleavy's ETA is around Christmas.

Thanks. It's still his knee, right?

Lord Ash
11-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Just thought I would point out that in the Bulls/Jazz game, two Duke grads contributed...

...54 points, 16 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks...

...in exchange for only 2 turnovers and 3 fouls.

Yikes!!

Oh, and JJ not only outscored Marvin Williams tonight, but JJ was a +12 to Marvin's -16.

theAlaskanBear
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I saw a bit of the Bulls-jazz game until i fell asleep. Boozer looked really sharp. he went 7/7 in the first half and played well the whole game. He and Millsap had a nice two man game down low working pretty well.

JG Nothing
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
FWIW,

Dunleavy is calling his status "day-to-day."
http://www.indystar.com/article/20091127/SPORTS04/911270349/Dunleavy-s-return-to-lineup-nears

JG Nothing
11-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Dunleavy is calling his status "day-to-day."
http://www.indystar.com/article/20091127/SPORTS04/911270349/Dunleavy-s-return-to-lineup-nears

Today's the day. Dunleavy will play tonight.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20091127/SPORTS04/911270388/Pacers-Dunleavy-to-play-tonight-Granger-iffy

JG Nothing
11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Dunleavy feels good after his season debut:
http://www.indystar.com/article/20091129/SPORTS04/911290354/Dunleavy-feels-good-after-season-debut

SilkyJ
12-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Bump.

http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

A trifecta tonight as 3 dukies went for 20/10: Brand, Boozer and Deng with Brand returning from a 3 game absence with a hammy. After a slow start he appears to be regaining his form.

Dahntay and Dunleavy are also pacing the pacers off the bench, but just their lead vanish in the last 3 mins of the 3rd quarter as the Warriors started hitting some shots and the Pacers guards forced the issue and jacked up shots instead of getting the ball to their best players.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Dahntay and Dunleavy are also pacing the pacers off the bench, but just their lead vanish in the last 3 mins of the 3rd quarter as the Warriors started hitting some shots and the Pacers guards forced the issue and jacked up shots instead of getting the ball to their best players.
They both have a ton of points (17 &18), and have also introduced Mr. Hansbrough to the bench. (4 minutes on the floor, the rest spent watching two Dukies)

SilkyJ
12-01-2009, 01:02 AM
They didn't do so well in the 4th quarter, unfortunately missing several open shots (with Dahntay clanking jumpers almost awkwardly off the rim). Maggette on the other hand played well when it counted, finishing with 14 pts (all in the 2nd half) and 6rebs and 6asts...to go with 6TOs (most were in the 1st half).

Still, they both finish with over 20pts on 50% shooting, so not a bad outing by any means. That makes 5 dukies who scored 20+ tonight. Man its too bad we don't produce good pros. Maybe then we would be more athletic than people already don't think we are :p

Silky "thinking about picking up Mikey D in my fantasy league" J

JasonEvans
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, has anyone noticed the numbers 'Los has been putting up lately. They are ugly numbers-- as in numbers that you look at and scrunch up your face in an ugly way because you are so impressed.

http://nicolasheller.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kevingarnett2.jpg

Anyway, last night Carlos went for 24 points, 15 rebs, and 7 assists. The assists have been really piling up lately and he is averaging better than 5 assists per game over his past 7 games. That is impressive for a dude who is a career 2-3 apg fella.

The latest article on the Jazz (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AspeaYKh58waXYCqa3J_fJy9PKB4?slug=teamre ports-2009-nba-uth&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report) on Yahoo is all about the current hot streak that Carlos is on.

Boozer has scored 20 points or more in the last five games. During that time he’s averaging 25.2 points, 9.8 rebounds and 5.4 assists while hitting 49 of 70 shots—yes, 70 percent.

“Booz is playing out of his mind right now.”—Deron Williams

--Jason "Carlos is a free agent this summer... someone is going to make him a very rich man" Evans

UrinalCake
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
--Jason "Carlos is a free agent this summer... someone is going to make him a very rich man" Evans

This summer is a great year to be a free agent. Teams are all clearing cap space to sign Lebron, but he can only go to one team... so everyone else will be left with money to burn and a disappointed fan base to appease. I could see Boozer getting a max contract. Isn't Redick a free agent next year too?

JasonEvans
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
This summer is a great year to be a free agent. Teams are all clearing cap space to sign Lebron, but he can only go to one team... so everyone else will be left with money to burn and a disappointed fan base to appease. I could see Boozer getting a max contract. Isn't Redick a free agent next year too?

They are not just clearing space for Bron-bron. This summer is a free agent bonanza like nothing the NBA has ever seen.

Lebron
DWade
Joe Johnson
Chris Bosh
Amare
Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Manu
McGrady
Yao
Nowitzki
Shaq
Michael Redd

It is gonna be sick! I probably left a few names out but you are likely to see major roster changes in the offseason. The folks in New York have cleared space to off 2 max contracts. If they do not get Lebron or Wade, they are hoping to sign Bosh and Joe Johnson. Plenty of other teams are angling to land that superstar who can really help their team.

--Jason "It should be interesting" Evans

yancem
12-01-2009, 01:59 PM
They didn't do so well in the 4th quarter, unfortunately missing several open shots (with Dahntay clanking jumpers almost awkwardly off the rim). Maggette on the other hand played well when it counted, finishing with 14 pts (all in the 2nd half) and 6rebs and 6asts...to go with 6TOs (most were in the 1st half).

Still, they both finish with over 20pts on 50% shooting, so not a bad outing by any means. That makes 5 dukies who scored 20+ tonight. Man its too bad we don't produce good pros. Maybe then we would be more athletic than people already don't think we are :p

Silky "thinking about picking up Mikey D in my fantasy league" J

Yeah, when I clicked on this: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html it brought a big smile to my face. It is nice to see some formal Devils healthy and playing well.

SilkyJ
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow, has anyone noticed the numbers 'Los has been putting up lately. They are ugly numbers-- as in numbers that you look at and scrunch up your face in an ugly way because you are so impressed.

http://nicolasheller.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/kevingarnett2.jpg

Anyway, last night Carlos went for 24 points, 15 rebs, and 7 assists. The assists have been really piling up lately and he is averaging better than 5 assists per game over his past 7 games. That is impressive for a dude who is a career 2-3 apg fella.

The latest article on the Jazz (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AspeaYKh58waXYCqa3J_fJy9PKB4?slug=teamre ports-2009-nba-uth&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report) on Yahoo is all about the current hot streak that Carlos is on.

I noticed! I've tried to trade for him twice in the last 10 days in my fantasy league.

For some reason, and don't ask me why, but I could see him playing in Miami next year. They are going to have a ton of cap room and Wade wants a big time player (presumably a post player) if he's gonna stay; Jermaine ONeal will be a FA and so will Haslem; the Heat like to play a methodical halfcourt game; starting Beasley at the 3 with Booz at the 4 would be a matchup nightmare for most teams, though they would still need a true Center. I dunno, I just see it...

SilkyJ
12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Shane recorded his first doubledouble of the season getting 10pts and 10 boards to go along with 6 blocks (!) and 4asts. No TOs

Aditya
12-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Duhon puts up 25 pts, 10 dimes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ApoUvP1oqBTFbZ_5hI11WIy8vLYF?gid=200912 0401

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2009, 10:06 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ApoUvP1oqBTFbZ_5hI11WIy8vLYF?gid=200912 0401
He needed that big time.

arnie
12-05-2009, 07:36 PM
And Boozer had 35 - could have reached 40 if he had hit is FT's. He's averaging 21 and 11.

SilkyJ
12-05-2009, 11:48 PM

And zero TOs

And Boozer had 35 - could have reached 40 if he had hit is FT's. He's averaging 21 and 11.

21 and 12 tonight and has gone for 20+ in 10 of his last 11 with 7 double doubles. I smell another all-star game.

Elton also posted 14 and 8 yesterday and has been playing a little better since coming back from his minor hammy. Let's hope he builds on it.

ice-9
12-06-2009, 11:31 AM
You think Boozer will make the All-Star team? If he does, I'd have to think it was via coach's selection. Given all that happened in the off season, and what had happened previously with the Cavs, Boozer has got to be the least popular All-Star talent.

On the other hand, I wonder if all those Utah fans who were ready to replace him with Millsap have changed their minds given Boozer's superior numbers?

SilkyJ
12-06-2009, 12:24 PM
You think Boozer will make the All-Star team? If he does, I'd have to think it was via coach's selection. Given all that happened in the off season, and what had happened previously with the Cavs, Boozer has got to be the least popular All-Star talent.

On the other hand, I wonder if all those Utah fans who were ready to replace him with Millsap have changed their minds given Boozer's superior numbers?

Good point. I don't remember exactly how the all-star voting works, so maybe you can remind me?

I though it was something like the starters are determined by fans (i.e. top 5 vote getters) and the bench is picked by coaches? Boozer isn't enough of a household name to garner top 5 voting by fans, but with those numbers, be tough for the coaches to leave him off.

SilkyJ
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
JJ had seen his minutes drop over the past 5 or 6 games, but played well last night getting 19 mins and pouring in 10pts, 3 rebs and 3 asts.

JJ is having his best shooting year hitting nearly 45% of his FGs and 41% of his 3s. Interestingly, JJ's worst stat this year: 39-50 on his FTs (78%). His A/TO: 2.6

In the same game, Boozer got 20/14 and 4 dimes, again leaving a bunch of freebies at the line. As Jason pointed out earlier, Boozer is averaging 3.5 asts this year, a very impressive stat.

sagegrouse
12-11-2009, 12:00 PM
JJ had seen his minutes drop over the past 5 or 6 games, but played well last night getting 19 mins and pouring in 10pts, 3 rebs and 3 asts.

JJ is having his best shooting year hitting nearly 45% of his FGs and 41% of his 3s. Interestingly, JJ's worst stat this year: 39-50 on his FTs (78%). His A/TO: 2.6

In the same game, Boozer got 20/14 and 4 dimes, again leaving a bunch of freebies at the line. As Jason pointed out earlier, Boozer is averaging 3.5 asts this year, a very impressive stat.

JJ got a lot of love from last night's announcers, both on radio and TV, along the lines of being "a solid part of the team." He looks good in terms of movement, passing and defense -- rather muscular -- this is no Steve Kerr, hanging around the perimeter. JJ was far from frail at Duke against college kids but he looks quite strong on the NBA court. I would never have thought that.

Speaking of strong (Carlos looked older at 18 than I did at 40 -- but then I caught up :)) I didn't watch enough of the game to evaluate Carlos, but he had a strong game in a come-from-behind win.

sagegrouse

Aditya
12-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Duhon has 22 pts on 7-11 shooting, 6-8 from behind the arc, 9 dimes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AuKMzyfEWzkx.2O.MTgiocq8vLYF?gid=200 9121103

FireOgilvie
12-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Duhon has 22 pts on 7-11 shooting, 6-8 from behind the arc, 9 dimes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AuKMzyfEWzkx.2O.MTgiocq8vLYF?gid=200 9121103

...and 0 turnovers. He was matched up against Chris Paul.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-11-2009, 10:54 PM
He's really been picking it up, good for him. Deng has been playing great ball all season.

Lord Ash
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Elton had 19 and 10 also, which is great to see, and Mike Dunleavy had 15 with 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Man, Duke guys can SCORE.

SilkyJ
12-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Elton had 19 and 10 also, which is great to see, and Mike Dunleavy had 15 with 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Man, Duke guys can SCORE.

speaking of scoring, hansbro paced all scorers in that game with 21. With Granger out, he'll see some more floor time. people all over the place had their doubts, but i think he's destined to be somewhere about al horford's level, who is no slouch by any means.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-12-2009, 11:08 PM
speaking of scoring, hansbro paced all scorers in that game with 21. With Granger out, he'll see some more floor time. people all over the place had their doubts, but i think he's destined to be somewhere about al horford's level, who is no slouch by any means.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=291212027

ice-9
12-13-2009, 04:06 AM
Also in that game, Haywood fouls Dunleavy for the game winning throws... http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291212027

Thanks Brenda!

Dukeford
12-13-2009, 06:01 AM
I didn't see McRoberts name listed in the boxscore, not even as a DNP.
Is he gone?

SilkyJ
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I didn't see McRoberts name listed in the boxscore, not even as a DNP.
Is he gone?

He's still listed on their roster

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=ind

Good to see Dunleavy getting back into form with two nice games in a row. Remember, before he got injured he was playing the best basketball of his career averaging something like 19ppg and shooting 42% from three and playing (and starting) all 82 games. It'd be tough for anyone to regain that kind of form, but I'm optimistic.

lazee
12-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Both JJ & Dunleavy had a good night. Orlando won after being down by double digits in the 1st quarter. JJ helped lead the comeback and played the entire 2nd & 4th quarter.

JJ finished with 13 pts (24 min, 3-7 FGA, 3-4 3PT, 4-4 FT, 5 assists, 1 rebound and the highest +/- on the night @ +22).

Dunleavy finished with 26 pts (started--almost 34 min, 10-19 FGA, 1-4 3PT, 5-5 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks, +/- @ -8)

Dahntey ended up with 5 points (came off the bench--almost 24 min, 2-7 FGA, 1-1 FT, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, +/- @ -7)

Hansbrough didn't fare so well on offense (8 pts on 4-12 shooting). He got blocked twice...once by Dwight Howard & the other time by Anthony Johnson (the backup PG)! And of course, got called for traveling twice (isn't it nice to see the refs get it right).

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
JJ finished with 13 pts (24 min, 3-7 FGA, 3-4 3PT, 4-4 FT, 5 assists, 1 rebound and the highest +/- on the night @ +22).

Hansbrough didn't fare so well on offense (8 pts on 4-12 shooting). He got blocked twice...once by Dwight Howard & the other time by Anthony Johnson (the backup PG)! And of course, got called for traveling twice (isn't it nice to see the refs get it right).
Interesting to see the two most recent ACC scoring leaders on the court at the same time. They both had 24 minutes in the game.

hq2
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Shelden was effective again last night; 5 boards, 4 on the offensive glass, in about 12 minutes of P.T. He's gotten his minutes back from Scalabrine lately; Doc was experimenting with Scal, and discovered Shelden was giving him more production. Now, we'll see what happens when Big Baby comes back in a couple of weeks.

Too bad Shav got waived; still, give him credit for making it in the NBA, at least for a while. I don't think he'll be short of $$ any time soon anyway.

OldSchool
12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Yep, too bad Shav got waived.

I still think he is an NBA-quality player. He was proving that before the injury, and it seemed like he was finally back at 100%

I think Portland should sign him. They already know him pretty well, and could really use him to give them some depth.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
G-Henderson is getting almost zero PT. Maybe that will convince Kyle to stay for his senior year.