PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 28, Virginia 17

loran16
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Duke opens up a 7.5 point underdog against Virginia.

Huge game for both teams. If either team loses, its bowl chances essentially drop to 0 unless they beat one of the upper echelon teams of the league.

It's a big test for us especially here; unlike NC State or Maryland, UVA is not running too badly lately (Loss to GT aside), and their O could prove problematic. Still, i think GT exposed their Defense for what it is...i mean they'd previously played the offenseless UNC and Maryland of all teams, not exactly anything close to our passing O.

First guess by me, Duke pulls out the upset 35-30.

Thoughts?

arnie
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
A 7.5 point lines seems excessive - bet it drops as the week goes on. Actually, does Vegas let you bet on lines dropping and rising?

loran16
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
A 7.5 point lines seems excessive - bet it drops as the week goes on. Actually, does Vegas let you bet on lines dropping and rising?

Ummm, not specifically, but if you bet on the line early and expect the line to drop you could gain a better bet, i suppose.

The site i found it on claimed that 72% of the action so far was on the Duke side, so yeah I'd expect the line to drop say...2 points to 5.5.

weezie
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Thoughts?! Well, I'm thinking that Duke is going to be pleased that weezie is in the house and we will bring the hurt to the 'hoo.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm happy to be the underdog again. I have no predictions for the game except that Duke will be prepared. It's a big game for bowl reasons, but as long as we represent and play well, I'll be happy. I know we CAN beat them, but they will be the best team we've played since VT. If we make the mistakes we did against Maryland, we go home less than happy. Wish I could watch it, but Bob will do fine. GO DUKE!!!

CEF1959
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
UVa thrashed a decent Indiana team and beat Maryland on the road by a touchdown more than we beat Maryland at home. Like Duke, they've had two losses to ranked teams, beaten teams they should have beaten, and lost their opener to a surprisingly strong team from a lesser conference (For UVa, it was William & Mary, who is now 6-1; for Duke it was Richmond, now 7-0).

With the home field advantage, UVa has to be a favorite. But this is a game that will be won by the team that happens to execute best that day; it could be either. It would be a huge morale boost for the Duke program. I'd take Duke and 5 points or more.

brianl
10-27-2009, 08:54 AM
I live about 40 minutes from C-Ville and my wife is a doc student there. A big in-house rivalry for us. There are plenty of tickets available through their ticket office.

If you want to grab some on the street, you've save a few bucks as they'll go lower than the $42 face value.

Come on up everybody and let's show our Blue Devils that they're fans travel well too.

killerleft
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I live about 40 minutes from C-Ville and my wife is a doc student there. A big in-house rivalry for us. There are plenty of tickets available through their ticket office.

If you want to grab some on the street, you've save a few bucks as they'll go lower than the $42 face value.

Come on up everybody and let's show our Blue Devils that they're fans travel well too.

The cheaper tix comment is what I wanted to hear! Thank goodness my wife found a job this week:)

Do the students still get as snockered during the game as they once did (circa 1990)? That was one drunk bunch.

budwom
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Duke opens up a 7.5 point underdog against Virginia.

Huge game for both teams. If either team loses, its bowl chances essentially drop to 0 unless they beat one of the upper echelon teams of the league.

It's a big test for us especially here; unlike NC State or Maryland, UVA is not running too badly lately (Loss to GT aside), and their O could prove problematic. Still, i think GT exposed their Defense for what it is...i mean they'd previously played the offenseless UNC and Maryland of all teams, not exactly anything close to our passing O.

First guess by me, Duke pulls out the upset 35-30.

Thoughts?

Well, we might well win, though we're legitimate underdogs, and I don't see any way we'll be scoring 35 points. If we win, I'd be thinking more along the lines of 21-17.....

throatybeard
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I say we call the same play we beat them on ten years ago this month.

loran16
10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, we might well win, though we're legitimate underdogs, and I don't see any way we'll be scoring 35 points. If we win, I'd be thinking more along the lines of 21-17.....

We're not exactly a Defensive team here....and I personally don't believe the Virginia pass defense is for real. I think 30+ points is realistic here; the maryland game's low score was partly weather induced and it still would have been higher if we hadn't had two fumbles in their territory (bringing us to potentially 31 points)

throatybeard
10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Sagarin's predictor put it at almost exactly UVA by 6.5. But that doesn't include the 3-something for home field. So he would actually have it somewhere between 9 and 10.

Those wankers have shut us out five times in the last two decades. Argh.

We actually led the series until the Franks era. Now trail 32-28.

6th Man
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
We know UVA will not overlook us after the beating we gave them last year. Throw 2 consecutive ACC wins on top of that coming into the game and I am sure we have UVA's attention. So I know UVA will be ready to play. There will be no sneaking up on them. I think this will be a tough game. UVA will want to pay us back for last year. It's a huge conference game for them as well. I have a feeling to have any chance it's going to take the near perfect offensive game we threw at N.C. State 3 weeks ago. If we have the turnovers and penalties that were racked up against Maryland, it may be a long afternoon. I think we have a shot, but it's going to take some darn good football.

OldPhiKap
10-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Fair line.

Good challenge.

Go Duke!!!

watzone
10-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Here are some comments from Thaddeus Lewis from a Q & A I had just hours ago - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/10/bdn-quick-hitter-thaddeus-lewis-talks-of-the-upcoming-game-with-uva/

whereinthehellami
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
This should be a good game. Pretty even teams from a talent/coaching standpoint, at least in the cumulative sense. Duke doesn't have anything to lose in my opinion. They are getting better, moving the program forward. Have fun and play hard. The onus is on UVA. Coaching is up in the air as is the state of the program. Though their record says they are in it for the coastal, I get the feeling that they are on the verge of taking a dive. If they lose to Duke, buh bye. That is some decent pressure for a team that isn't built to handle it IMO.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Take a look at Jim Sumner's summary of Coach Cutcliffe's press conference today..... offers lots of information about Duke's preparation for Virginia. Duke is indeed very fortunate to have hired David Cutcliffe.

killerleft
10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Congratulations to wife on her new job!

She says thanks!

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2009, 07:38 PM
You've got two good football teams that obviously have the opportunity to get a step further in the conference," Duke quarterback Thaddeus Lewis said Tuesday. "And I think you have two hungry football teams. ... Something like 'Clash of the Titans.' It'll all boil down to who wants it the most.

I love that quote. The article it's from compares both teams situations leading up to this Saturday. It's a good read.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/story/6293836/

DukeFencer
10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
The Maryland game was showing for free on ESPN360.com... anyone know if this one will be shown anywhere online?

budwom
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
We're not exactly a Defensive team here....and I personally don't believe the Virginia pass defense is for real. I think 30+ points is realistic here; the maryland game's low score was partly weather induced and it still would have been higher if we hadn't had two fumbles in their territory (bringing us to potentially 31 points)

Hope you're right, Loran, but I'll stand on my nose and whistle Dixie if we score 30 points on Saturday. Let's revisit this on Sunday.

devildeac
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Hope you're right, Loran, but I'll stand on my nose and whistle Dixie if we score 30 points on Saturday. Let's revisit this on Sunday.

If that happens, will we see it posted by Jason Evans.:rolleyes:;)

jv001
10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
We pulled out a victory Saturday with turnovers and penalties that would have meant certain defeat in recent seasons. I think it shows how far Coach Cut has brought the football program. If we play smart and don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we have a good chance of coming home with a victory. I hope the weather is good in Charlottesville and Thad has another great game. Go Duke!

thewiseben
10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Looks like a not great forecast for the game on Saturday. Pretty substantial chance of rain. I just hope that our defense can grind out another W. If the sun is shining, I expect Thad to have another big game.

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Looks like a not great forecast for the game on Saturday. Pretty substantial chance of rain. I just hope that our defense can grind out another W. If the sun is shining, I expect Thad to have another big game.
Can't say we haven't had the cleats wet this year, both NCCU and Md. were downpours..so at least we are practiced. :D

Greg_Newton
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM

How do you figure? Weather.com has % of precipitation at just 20%: http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USVA0143?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

devildeac
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
How do you figure? Weather.com has % of precipitation at just 20%: http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USVA0143?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

And for the hours of 10 AM to 5 PM on 10/24, it had the % chance of rain in Derm ranging from about 10-60% and we all know how that turned out (still hearing the sounds of the water dripping outta my socks). ;):D Not to worry, give it a day or two and we'll prolly see a different forecast.

Highlander
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
This week's game is really a HUGE game for the program. Duke has (like UVA) beaten two pretty bad ACC teams. Throw in the fact that this game is on the road, and UVA will be out for revenge after last year, and we have our work cut out for us. I agree with the poster that said this is a lot like the Wake Forest game last year.

Win, and Duke secures their best season since 1994, becomes a serious contender for a bowl, and takes a huge step by cementing their position in the middle of the conference standings. Plus, we keep our momentum going and build confidence.

Lose, we stay in neutral for at least another week and likely deal a death blow to our bowl chances. We can still improve upon last year and finish at .500, but we would have to rebuild some momentum.

This game is a 3rd and goal from the 7 yard line.

DukeSean
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
This game is a 3rd and goal from the 7 yard line.

Haha I like that analogy. But I'd say it's more like a 2nd and goal from the 7 for us.

roywhite
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but is there TV coverage of this game? Or more specifically, in the Triad?

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but is there TV coverage of this game? Or more specifically, in the Triad?

I think it's on our regular channel these days: ESPN360. I'm going to listen to Bob Harris on 98.3.

VAGentleman05
10-31-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm expecting a very good game tomorrow, between two teams who are both stronger than they looked to be early on this year. Of course, we 'Hoo fans will be doing a lot of rain dancing! Best of luck.

Bob Green
10-31-2009, 12:38 AM
The forecast calls for light rain with temps in the 60s:

http://weather.dailyprogress.com/wx.php?config=&user=CDP&pands=22901

We won in the rain against NCCU and Maryland, and I believe it was a rainy day when we beat Army at West Point, so a little rain shouldn't slow down our air attack. However, the Cavs are 5th in the nation in pass defense. With Duke being the nation's 6th best passing team, the game will be a test of strength against strength. It should be a good game.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/cavalier_insider/ci_football/article/cavs_pass_defense_gets_a_test/48296/

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/columnists/ratcliffe_on/article/a_dream_matchup_for_uva_d-backs/48294/

Jim3k
10-31-2009, 12:41 AM

We won in the rain against NCCU and Maryland, and I believe it was a rainy day when we beat Army at West Point, so a little rain shouldn't slow down our air attack. However, the Cavs are 5th in the nation in pass defense. With Duke being the nation's 6th best passing team, the game will be a test of strength against strength. It should be a good game.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/cavalier_insider/ci_football/article/cavs_pass_defense_gets_a_test/48296/

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/columnists/ratcliffe_on/article/a_dream_matchup_for_uva_d-backs/48294/

I hope some of the patterns have been changed. Maryland was 'this close' to picking off at least three, and two would have been TDs. UVa will be prepared for that stuff.

Bob Green
10-31-2009, 12:46 AM
I hope some of the patterns have been changed. Maryland was 'this close' to picking off at least three, and two would have been TDs. UVa will be prepared for that stuff.

I'm confident Coach Cutcliffe will make adjustments based on game film. While I agree with you that UVa will be prepared, Duke will also be prepared. I actually expect us to make a serious effort to run the ball tomorrow seeing as UVa is ranked 11th in the ACC in rushing defense. Desmond Scott could get the opportunity to show off his speed tomorrow.

loran16
10-31-2009, 01:25 AM

I agree with your general sentiment, but the West Point game was played with beautiful weather. It was literally perfect...raining just 5 minutes from west point in New York, but at the stadium during the game, not a drop of rain.

6th Man
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Let's go Duke!!! Don't get ESPN 360. Stupid Time Warner. I'm going to have to drive around for 3 hours and catch it on the XM radio feed. :mad: Let's hope for execution much like the N.C. State game. We win today and it is only G. Tech and us with one loss in our division. Who would have thought on Oct. 31 you could say that? Really proud of these players and the coaches. The progress since the Richmond game is astounding...which is a testament to the players will to get better and the coaching staff's ability to make them better. Good luck today guys!

RelativeWays
10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Keys to victory here are pretty easy, if Duke can follow up.

1. Stop the run. UVA is not much of a passing team so most offense seems to go on the ground. If Duke holds UVA on the ground like they did VT, that will force UVA to pass more than they would like.

2. Take care of the football. UVA beat UNC and UMD on turnovers, Duke should have blown UMD out if not for turnovers, UVA is not so inept offensively that Duke can hold them to a field goal or no points.

3. Strike early and make UVA pay for their mistakes. IF Duke wants to ends this early (and it is possible) then they need to have an honest to God killer instict. UVA is amped up for revenge. If Duke is able to go up 14 or more, then memories of last year creep back, their momentum is gone and their spirits crushed (see Duke vs Richmond). They'll be playing tight and not to make anymore mistakes, and they will be ineffective.

We know the stakes here, the UNC victory over VT changes a lot of things, but the one thing is consistant. Duke has to beat UVA if they want a bowl bid, I don't see them making it with a loss today. Despite that, Duke needs to realize that the true pressure is on UVA today. They want revenge, they're also trying to get back into a bowl and they want to save their coach. If it becomes clear that a UVA victory is in serious jeopardy again at the hands of Duke, the wheels come off the bus. Duke will need a bit of psychology to win today, but they certainly can.

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Keys to victory here are pretty easy, if Duke can follow up.

1. Stop the run. UVA is not much of a passing team so most offense seems to go on the ground. If Duke holds UVA on the ground like they did VT, that will force UVA to pass more than they would like.

2. Take care of the football. UVA beat UNC and UMD on turnovers, Duke should have blown UMD out if not for turnovers, UVA is not so inept offensively that Duke can hold them to a field goal or no points.

3. Strike early and make UVA pay for their mistakes. IF Duke wants to ends this early (and it is possible) then they need to have an honest to God killer instict. UVA is amped up for revenge. If Duke is able to go up 14 or more, then memories of last year creep back, their momentum is gone and their spirits crushed (see Duke vs Richmond). They'll be playing tight and not to make anymore mistakes, and they will be ineffective.

We know the stakes here, the UNC victory over VT changes a lot of things, but the one thing is consistant. Duke has to beat UVA if they want a bowl bid, I don't see them making it with a loss today. Despite that, Duke needs to realize that the true pressure is on UVA today. They want revenge, they're also trying to get back into a bowl and they want to save their coach. If it becomes clear that a UVA victory is in serious jeopardy again at the hands of Duke, the wheels come off the bus. Duke will need a bit of psychology to win today, but they certainly can.
Hard to argue with any of that. One thought hit me while getting drenched last Saturday; I don't think we have been scoreless in any first quarter this season, and that's a nice change from the past. Like you say, it's important that we show we are ready to score early and often, and let the defense capitalize on their mistakes. Should be a good game today, I'm excited. Wish I could watch, stupid 360. GO DUKE!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Coach Cut pregame comment to Bob Harris..."One thing you can count on is we're not going to play conservative, we're playing to win a football game".

Indoor66
10-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Game on Radio: http://www.wsfl.com/

SharkD
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Let's go Duke!!! Don't get ESPN 360. Stupid Time Warner. I'm going to have to drive around for 3 hours and catch it on the XM radio feed. :mad:

Not that I want to defend Time Warner, but more of the fault lies with Comcast, ESPN's partner (along with Verizon) for ESPN360. Time Warner and Comcast don't get along (mostly over licensing fees for Comcast-provided channels), so Comcast wants outrageous money for TWC internet subscribers to get access to ESPN360.

I can't imagine how bad it would be, if net neutrality was revoked by the FCC.

neuro
10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice field goal to start the game.

wolfpackdevil
10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Duke has looked good so far. Almost at the end of the first quarter and Virginia has only run 3 offensive plays.

Great time managment my Thad and the Offense.

Im wishing that they could have converted for a TD on the last drive, but points never hurt.

6-0 with 2 minutes left in the 1st.

lookin good early

DukeSean
10-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Anyone have the chat link?

Indoor66
10-31-2009, 04:09 PM

http://snrub.ajaxperformance.com/

Native
10-31-2009, 04:09 PM

snrub.ajaxperformance.com

FireOgilvie
10-31-2009, 04:32 PM
These commentators on ESPN360 have zero energy.

Most. Boring. Commentators. Ever.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 04:54 PM
duke up 9-3 at halftime

close game obviously, our defense has been strong so far - shut UVA out in 1st with only 6 plays (3 and out plus an interception). Held them to a FG in 2nd quarter.

Hopefully the team can keep it going, and Coach Cut can make good halftime adjustments.

Let's Go DUKE!!

Greg_Newton
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I keep waiting for our offense to really get into rhythm... the two red zone FGs hurt. We really need to figure out a way to give Thad more protection, he's gotten sacked or pressured into throwing early on 10-15 plays. When he's had time, he's been automatic though.

The defense has been tackling well though, and all in all we've got to feel good about being up 9-3 after the first half. Groh's UVA teams seem to either come out dominant (i.e. vs Indiana, who almost beat Iowa today) or lackluster (W&M) depending on what week it is, and I was a little worried about us getting beat up by a more physical team out of the gate. We look confident and disciplined though, hopefully we can avoid TOs and make a few big plays in the second half and pull this out.

CDu
10-31-2009, 05:18 PM
I keep waiting for our offense to really get into rhythm... the two red zone FGs hurt. We really need to figure out a way to give Thad more protection, he's gotten sacked or pressured into throwing early on 10-15 plays. When he's had time, he's been automatic though.

The defense has been tackling well though, and all in all we've got to feel good about being up 9-3 after the first half. Groh's UVA teams seem to either come out dominant (i.e. vs Indiana, who almost beat Iowa today) or lackluster (W&M) depending on what week it is, and I was a little worried about us getting beat up by a more physical team out of the gate. We look confident and disciplined though, hopefully we can avoid TOs and make a few big plays in the second half and pull this out.

10-9 UVa after an opening drive TD to start the second half for the 'Hoos. The Devils probably need to bounce back and answer with a score here to avoid ole mo working against us. We dominated the first half, but that's for naught right now.

FireOgilvie
10-31-2009, 05:30 PM
We're really struggling on offense. Virginia has a really good defense, but I'm surprised at how bad we look. I have a feeling this one might get away from us if we can't come up with some big plays on defense.

killerleft
10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Duke leads 12-10 after another Snyderwine (sp?) field goal. 13+ mins. left. ESPNNews switches to the game live every so often, but not much or for long.

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Virginia scores on 19 yd. pass play, leads 17-12 with about 11 mins. left.

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Duke 3rd and goal at VA 7, intercepted with 8 minutes left in end zone.

ChrisP
10-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I was just thinking that the worst thing we could do was turn it over. I know we needed a TD but with 8:00 + to go, we could have taken the FG and then hoped to get it back. Ugh!

cspan37421
10-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks like we've got the ball again. Let's put an end to this Cavalier uprising.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
forced a UVA 3 and out after the INT, we're on the UVA 43 yd line now.

Let's do it boys!

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Duke holds. Then long pass play from Lewis to Vernon for TOUCHDOWN. 2pt. try no good. 3:45 left. 18-17 Duke.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Thad atones for his INT with a 42 yd TD to Conner Vernon!!

Cmon D, hold em, just 3:45 left.

Let's Go DUKE!!

ChrisP
10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Great throw under pressure but...that 2pt throw was awful. I know Lewis puts up lots of yards but he just seems inconsistent to me. One throw is perfect and the next is way behind the receiver.

ChrisP
10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Sweeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

arydolphin
10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Virginia fumbles, Duke returns it for the touchdown!

FireOgilvie
10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Virginia fumbles, Duke returns it for the touchdown!

Whooooooooooooooooo! That was such a sweet play!

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Duke TOUCHDOWN, Vince3 knocks ball loose from QB inside 10, Charlie Hatcher runs it in! Duke up 25-17, 3:23 left.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:29 PM
DUKE 25-17!!

UVA fumbles, we recover for TD!!

Finish strong here, team! 3:22 left

summerwind03
10-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Great job Devils.

I'm surprised so many people are leaving, down only 8 with over 3 minutes to go.

MulletMan
10-31-2009, 06:31 PM
WHAT HAPPENED!? CBS Gametracker is AWFUL!

stillcrazie
Plus VA has decent field position.

Maxwell1977
Great throw under pressure but...that 2pt throw was awful. I know Lewis puts up lots of yards but he just seems inconsistent to me. One throw is perfect and the next is way behind the receiver.

Well, ok then!
:confused:

jimsumner
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Sack on 4th down. Duke ball. One first down to run out clock.

stillcrazie
10-31-2009, 06:33 PM
is working.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
whooo, still not over yet, but it's looking good!

Defense gets the game ball for this win

DukeDude
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Great job by Duke's pass D. UVA is 13 of 34 for 107 yards. Meanwhile Thad has 343 yards.

Maxwell1977
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Jim,

#13 for UVa is Metheney. Didn't a Metheney play for their BB team in the 80's?

Maybe Metheny.

MulletMan
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
is working.

Sweet. They didn't have one running in the first half!

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
1:15 left, Duke has 3rd and 10 inside VA 30.

stillcrazie
10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
1:15 left, 3rd and 10. Field goal attempt?

jimsumner
10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
FG Good!!

arydolphin
10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Snyderwine kicks another FG, Duke up 28-17!

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
4th and 6. Snyderwine Field Goal, Duke by 11, 3rd win in a row, GO TO HELL, CAROLINA.:D

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Snyderwine FG good! Duke up 28-17, and with a minute left, that's the game right there.

btw, who is this player Snyderwine? Do we actually have a REAL kicker now?

ChrisP
10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Every time Duke has made a big play, you can clearly hear Duke fans cheering like crazy. I love it!

-jk
10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Wahoowa!

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Snyderwine FG good! Duke up 28-17, and with a minute left, that's the game right there.

btw, who is this player Snyderwine? Do we actually have a REAL kicker now?

Either that or something Halloween-y is going on.

jimsumner
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
4 incomplete passes. Duke takes over on downs.

killerleft
10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Duke crowd is ecto-static, Duke will run out clock after no 1st down for VA! DEEEEEEE-FENSE!!!!!

cspan37421
10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
and there was much rejoicing.

DukeCO2009
10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Live from Charlottesville, all I have to say is HELL YES!

juise
10-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Congrats, Devils! The hard work is definitely paying off and it's a pleasure to see. :)

towerview road
10-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Snyderwine is a WALK-ON and he's a junior. Former rugby and soccer player who was on the U-19 American Rugby championship team.

FANTASTIC!!

jimsumner
Lewis passes for 343 yards against what statistically was the ACC's top pass defense. That's worth a message-board of kudos.

MulletMan
Ummm... go Wake?! Beat the U!

Cuz that'll give us a cushion in the standings over Miami!

(Sorry... I just really wanted to write that!)

Greg_Newton
10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Play of the season: Duke down 5, 4 minutes left, facing 3rd and 10 around midfield. UVA has all the momentum, crowd is roaring. Linebacker breaks through on the blitz, heading straight for Thad. Thad stands his ground, throws a PERFECT pass to Vernon across the middle, just out of the DB's reach, as he takes a monster hit. TD, season saved.

duke09hms
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
YEAAHHHHH! As a recent alum who came back to watch the Richmond game, OH MAN I so wish I could be there!!

Is it too soon to say "In Coach Cut we trust"? haha

Let's GO DUKE!!

MulletMan
10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Maybe now that we're the 2nd place team in the ACC some of the away games will be on TV!

77devil
10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe now that we're the 2nd place team in the ACC some of the away games will be on TV!

And Wally Wade will be full(of students).

stillcrazie
10-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Play of the season: Duke down 5, 4 minutes left, facing 3rd and 10 around midfield. UVA has all the momentum, crowd is roaring. Linebacker breaks through on the blitz, heading straight for Thad. Thad stands his ground, throws a PERFECT pass to Vernon across the middle, just out of the DB's reach, as he takes a monster hit. TD, season saved.

I was watching on Gamecast at that point and thought we may lose. I hope to see a replay of that pass tonight.

Wander
10-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Technically. But for all practical purposes, we're tied for first!

arydolphin
10-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Digest this: If Vandy someone could pull off the upset against Georgia Tech tonight, Duke would be all along on top of the ACC Coastal Division.

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
3 consecutive ACC wins for the 1st time since 1994
3 ACC wins for the 1st time since 1999

MulletMan
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Digest this: If Vandy someone could pull off the upset against Georgia Tech tonight, Duke would be all along on top of the ACC Coastal Division.

Uhh, no. Duke would be tied in the loss column with GT, but still two games behind in the win column. Anyway you slice it, Duke is behind GT.

WHO CARES!??! WE'RE HAVING THIS ABSURD CONVERSATION!:D

dairedevil
10-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Therefore, that game has no impact on the ACC rankings, right?

Anyway, I was enjoying watching Duke on ESPN 360 on my laptop a whole lot more than watching UGA's pathetic performance on the big screen.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 07:09 PM
RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!!

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA!!!!!

Keep the streak alive!!!!

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:11 PM
True freshman Conner Vernon now holds the school record for receptions in a season by a freshman (38). Corey Thomas held the previous record of 37 since 1994.

Kewlswim
10-31-2009, 07:11 PM
whooo, still not over yet, but it's looking good!

Defense gets the game ball for this win

I think the field goal kicker gets one too.

GO DUKE!

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Varner and Vernon each posted their second straight 100-yard game, their third 100+ yard game for the year. Vernon became the first freshman in Duke history with two 100-yard games in a season, last week, against Maryland.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Another great win. It's been really fun to watch this team come together. Hope we can keep this momentum next weekend.

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Lewis became the second player in ACC history with four 2,000-yard passing seasons. The only other player to accomplish the feat is N.C. State’s Philip Rivers. Wake Forest’s Riley Skinner was 51 yards shy of his fourth straight 2,000-yard season, prior to today's game vs. Miami.

Thad is just the third Duke player and seventh player in the ACC with 9,000 career passing yards. He passed Spence Fischer for second all-time career passing yardage at Duke and sixth in ACC history.

Faison1
10-31-2009, 07:20 PM
COACH CUT FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

I am seriously impressed, and I think the rest of the Southeast is taking notice too.

I would like to point out that Cut is playing with only two of his recruiting classes, and essentially Juniors and Seniors who were at Duke before he got here.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
True freshman Conner Vernon now holds the school record for receptions in a season by a freshman (38). Corey Thomas held the previous record of 37 since 1994.

What was the unsportsman penalty in the second half against Connor? I was follwoing on Gametracker(R) and could not tell what happened.

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Vincent Rey is now 1 stop shy of becoming the 13th player in Duke football history to register 300 career tackles.

neuro
10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Miami pulls out a close one at Wake. Although Miami clearly has more talent than we do, I think Duke has a much better shot to beat Miami than I would have thought 3-4 weeks ago. Miami is vulverable. GT not as much, but I'm looking forward to the challenge!

All of a sudden, every game on the schedule is a potential win.

On the other hand, we could also lose all the rest if we don't continue to bring an 'A-game'. Despite the win today, there were several areas where we can of course improve upon.

Overall though, it's just a great great feeling to be where we are at this point in the season, and I'm going to try to savor it as much as I can until the next game!

SharkD
10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
What was the unsportsman penalty in the second half against Connor? I was follwoing on Gametracker(R) and could not tell what happened.

He had his helmet ripped off during the (hard) tackle, got up after 30 seconds and made the 1st Down Signal.

Greg_Newton
10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
How bizarrely wonderful is it to read these two paragraphs:

"The victory also kept Duke in the thick of the ACC Coastal Division race. The Blue Devils and No. 11 Georgia Tech each have one loss in league play, and their meeting on Nov. 14 in Durham, N.C., could be decisive.

Virginia (3-5, 2-2) lost its second in a row as its pass defense, ranked fifth in the nation coming in, was unable to slow the Lewis-led sixth-best passing attack in the country."

neuro
10-31-2009, 07:25 PM
someone educate me about football recruiting. Are there undecided kids out there who commit during the fall football season, as in, if we keep winning, can that have an immediate impact on getting some commitments? success breeds success and all, but I was curious how QUICKLY. :)

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 07:25 PM
He had his helmet ripped off during the (hard) tackle, got up after 30 seconds and made the 1st Down Signal.

Thanks. So, another crazy "excessive celebration" like UGa has been tagged with all year?

In any event, I would rather it be something like that than a late hit, etc.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 07:27 PM
How bizarrely wonderful is it to read these two paragraphs:

"The victory also kept Duke in the thick of the ACC Coastal Division race. The Blue Devils and No. 11 Georgia Tech each have one loss in league play, and their meeting on Nov. 14 in Durham, N.C., could be decisive.

Virginia (3-5, 2-2) lost its second in a row as its pass defense, ranked fifth in the nation coming in, was unable to slow the Lewis-led sixth-best passing attack in the country."

When Cut took the job he said that he was here to win championships, and that he hoped everyone laughed at that because they would be proved wrong.

Who is laughing now?

dukestheheat
10-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Great job Duke! and we are sooooo proud of you! KILL THE HOLES! Start the fire right NOW!

Go Duke!

dth.

DukeCO2009
10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Hypothetically (I really, I do mean hypothetically), if we beat chapel hill next week and face Tech at home to go to a bowl, what are the chances DSG lobbies for a bonfire permit? Same goes for the last game of the year against Wake. If we go in with 6 wins, what happens re: bonfires? The last time we went to a bowl I was in elementary school, so I have no idea what the protocol is regarding football and the benches.

Damn, this is exciting!

EDIT: Just for good measure, I'll add another "hypothetically" and throw in a "knock on wood" and "not to jump the gun..." just for good measure. ;)

huied
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
For the second game in a row, we immediately started playing better when I shut off the radio feed and logged off of snrubchat. If it happens again, I might have to stay away from DBR during the game. :(

Aside from that, what a great comeback. After watching UNC pull out the close one against VT, it feels good to pull this one out to preserve momentum into next week!

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-31-2009, 07:45 PM
The only thing that would make me prouder then duke football winning is Zoub getting a double double in conference play.

dukeENG2003
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
guys, we haven't done ANYTHING yet. Remember, UVA is not a great team. UNC is a GOOD half of a football team (and their offense even showed signs of life), and coming off a huge win against VT. We will not be favored next by any stretch of the imagination. It will be an upset if we win it in Chapel Hill.

That said, I'll be there, yelling 9F as loud as I can! GO DUKE!

jimsumner
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
I guess it's a sign of progress that Duke fans can pooh-pooh a road ACC win against a seven-point favorite.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Progress we have Progress

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Hypothetically (I really, I do mean hypothetically), if we beat chapel hill next week and face Tech at home to go to a bowl, what are the chances DSG lobbies for a bonfire permit? Same goes for the last game of the year against Wake. If we go in with 6 wins, what happens re: bonfires?

PERMIT?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' PERMIT!!

(Sad it's come to that, but I guess I'm not surprised.)

If you can't have a bench bonfire after at least getting bowl eligibility, there's a real problem. We ain't there yet of course {knock on wood} but I'm a believer.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 08:09 PM
I guess it's a sign of progress that Duke fans can pooh-pooh a road ACC win against a seven-point favorite.

Well played.

neuro
10-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Progress? Here's progress. Below is our total wins/ACCs wins each year since 2002:

2/0, 4/2, 2/1, 1/0, 0/0, 1/0, 4/1. This year so far: 5/3.

More ACC wins in the past 2 years than in the previous SIX years COMBINED. With, 4 more ACC games to go. That's progress!

ricks68
10-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe we should start discussing a new bulletin board titled "Duke Football". What a great thing for this to happen. I am fortunate to live far enough away to be in a non-black-out area for Espn360, and have been able to watch 4 games so far this season. Who woulda thunk it? Congratulations to all involved------from Oz and Devil in the Blue Dress all the way up to Thad Lewis and Coach Cut! Go Devils!:D

ricks

CameronBornAndBred
10-31-2009, 08:50 PM
guys, we haven't done ANYTHING yet.
I know what you are saying and I totally appreciate it. But I think you are wrong...this team has done EVERYTHING.
Think about this..
No freshmen on the field or the sideline, redshirt status or playing, has ever experienced a losing season in Duke football at this point in the season. That is beyond huge, that is how the coaches are instilling a winning attitude. The seniors that they share the field with have seen both the futility of Duke football's past and shown the possibility of Duke football's future. You go and tell anyone from either of those classes that we haven't done ANYTHING yet, and walk away with a smile on your face, I'll applaud you. But it won't happen. These last two years have given both Duke fans and players hope..and that is EVERYTHING.
P.S. We are going beyond hope..we are winning.

PaIronDuke
10-31-2009, 09:02 PM
and from those of you who remember the Yankees of olden times----

BREAK UP THE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!

cspan37421
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Maybe we should start discussing a new bulletin board titled "Duke Football".

ricks

New website s/b Duke Sports Report, with forums for basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, etc.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
and from those of you who remember the Yankees of olden times----

BREAK UP THE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!

That's taking us back :):)

devildeac
10-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Bob Harris said he motioned/signaled for the 1st down after his catch/run after the DB ripped/tackled his helmet off. The radio crew was outraged.

Jarhead
10-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Uhh, no. Duke would be tied in the loss column with GT, but still two games behind in the win column. Anyway you slice it, Duke is behind GT.

WHO CARES!??! WE'RE HAVING THIS ABSURD CONVERSATION!:D

Therefore, that game has no impact on the ACC rankings, right?

Anyway, I was enjoying watching Duke on ESPN 360 on my laptop a whole lot more than watching UGA's pathetic performance on the big screen.

Won/loss percentage for Duke .750, and for GaTech if they lose to Vandy, .714 which means Duke would have the lead. Game is even, 28 - 28, at the half. My oldest son graduated from Tech, so GO Tech, but not next week.

Bob Green
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
In this photo gallery:

http://www.newsobserver.com/galleries/gallery/168888.html

photos 61 through 67 show the play where Conner Vernon was flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct after having his helmet ripped off by the UVa defensive back.

diveonthefloor
10-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Won/loss percentage for Duke .750, and for GaTech if they lose to Vandy, .714 which means Duke would have the lead. Game is even, 28 - 28, at the half. My oldest son graduated from Tech, so GO Tech, but not next week.

When did Vandy join the ACC?

jimsumner
10-31-2009, 09:49 PM
I confess I'm totally perplexed as to how Vanderbilt entered the ACC title discussion.

peloton
10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
DevilDeac, even the ESPN360 announcers admitted that Connor Vernon's unsportsmanlike behavior penalty should have been a no-call. But to be honest, if I was a Cav fan I probably would have been yelling for a flag. I'd say he atoned for himself very nicely with the reception later for the touchdown...absolutely beautiful play (and the perfect call for that situation - kudos to the OC or whomever called that one.)

I have to confess that there were a few pre-Halloween trick or treating screams eminating from our house...fortunately mainly screams of glee instead of horror. You can bet I'll be catching the late news tonight and probably the Duke Football show tomorrow also. My sincerest congrats to Coach Cut, the rest of the coaching staff, and of course all the young men who make up the team. Enjoy the win, get some rest, practice hard this coming week, and let's make believers out of the Tarheel faithful next Saturday.

Jarhead
10-31-2009, 10:08 PM

My dumbest post ever.

cspan37421
10-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Trent Thurston writes, "I have to wonder what Lewis’s career might have been like if he had attended Florida State, or Miami, as he is the best damn quarterback in the ACC."

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1991009093340154&act=post&pid=12463110092858443

He put up the numbers at Duke - obviously, that's where you go to be the best QB in the ACC!

Newton_14
10-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Great win for the Devils! On the road in a tough place to play. The holes have not won in that stadium since the early 80's. Duke goes in as a 7 point dog and gets it done!!

This is awesome and we all should be proud of what these guys have accomplished! They have already exceeded the so called expert guru's expectations for this year with 4 games to go.

If they can somehow go no worse than 2-2 the rest of the way and make a bowl game, Coach Cut should not only get ACC Coach of the year but strong consideration for National Coach of the Year!

Man this feels good.

Keep it up guys, you can do this. Finish strong just like you did today!!!

And once again I will plea: Those of you that can do it, please please go to Wally Wade for these last 2 home games and support this team with your presence!! They both need and deserve for that stadium to be packed in those last 2 games and have a real home field advantage for a change! Heck, do more than go, take a few friends with you!!

Go Duke!!

Duke Football- A Cut Above!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Trent Thurston writes, "I have to wonder what Lewis’s career might have been like if he had attended Florida State, or Miami, as he is the best damn quarterback in the ACC."

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1991009093340154&act=post&pid=12463110092858443

He put up the numbers at Duke - obviously, that's where you go to be the best QB in the ACC!
I'd pose the question this way, "What would Thad's career be like if David Cutcliffe could have coached him for four years."

weezie
10-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Great win for the Devils! On the road in a tough place to play.

Really wonderful to see how Duke hung in there after some bobbles. And the 'hoo fans were crushed. We were sitting at the end where Duke kicked the final field goal and it was just as if somebody had stuck a pin in the cavs.
Oh ouch!
It was delicious.

cspan37421
10-31-2009, 10:21 PM
you said it, Dress! He might be looking at some conference records and beyond.

devildeac
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
In this photo gallery:

http://www.newsobserver.com/galleries/gallery/168888.html

photos 61 through 67 show the play where Conner Vernon was flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct after having his helmet ripped off by the UVa defensive back.

and no face mask call on the uva player...

Sheesh...

devildeac
10-31-2009, 10:23 PM
My dumbest post ever.

Too much time on the cruise ship last month...:rolleyes:;)

RelativeWays
10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
We've got 4 tough games left and there are no guarantees. One thing we can say, the last two games have been a fight and Duke has learned how to win. thats huge. We all want to go to a bowl, I have to say even if the rug gets yanked out from the team and they finish 5-7, I'll still be proud. I do believe, that this team has at least one more win in them if not more. Old Duke teams would have blown both of those games. Congrats guys. Rest up and prepare for UNC, keep your eye on the post season, but make sure to enjoy what you are currently doing. I love this team, not for the record, but for the heart and mindset they've shown this year.

Tom B.
10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
and no face mask call on the uva player...

Sheesh...

I was in my car for much of the afternoon and listening to the UVa radio broadcast of the game (I live in Virginia, so I can't get the Duke radio broadcast over the air), and even the UVa radio guys thought the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was BS.

That's one of those flags I'm almost not bothered that we got. Dude gets his helmet ripped off from behind (no face mask call, of course), then gets a cleat in the face while he's lying on the ground, and of course the UVa crowd cheers. I like that he showed some moxie (and a dash of badassitude) by jumping up and giving the first down sign. The refs apparently thought he was "taunting," but if he was taunting anyone it was the crowd, not the UVa players.

chrishoke
10-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I am just so happy for the seniors! Congrats. Great job guys.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd pose the question this way, "What would Thad's career be like if David Cutcliffe could have coached him for four years."

;>) .

Johnboy
10-31-2009, 11:36 PM
keep your eye on the post season

Noooooooooooooo - 1 game at a time!

I'm so happy and proud of this team and this win - Go Duke!!

OldPhiKap
10-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Noooooooooooooo - 1 game at a time!

At least the next one. 9F 9F 9F !!!!!

Highlander
10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I thought Daniel Ewing must have suited up to play WR. Ewing could always get the most ridiculous penalties for breathing wrong.

What a win. I can't wait to see the Hokie and UVA fans in DC on Monday who are now looking up at us in the standings. We've officially cemented our best season in almost 15 years and we still have 4 games to go. Cut is playing with house money for the rest of the season.

Who's laughing at Duke Football now?

gep
10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Of all aspects of the football team... I think this one is MUCH, MUCH improved. ESPN boxscore has Snyderwine with 5 for 5 FG's (long 44) and 1 for 1 PAT's. With this kind of FG efficiency, I think Duke has a very good future:D

6th Man
11-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I was lucky enough to be at the Duke basketball game when they unveiled Coach K court. (unfortunately not a basketball season ticket holder, so it was amazing to get a chance to see it in person) Now I am looking forward to the day I can see Coach Cutcliffe field unveiled in Wallace Wade Stadium.

OK ok...I know it's too early for all of that. But wow how great does this feel right now??? I just hope these guys stay hungry and humble! (sorry for stealing your line Kyrie Irving)

Let's Go Duke!!!

Jim3k
11-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Maybe we should start discussing a new bulletin board titled "Duke Football". What a great thing for this to happen. I am fortunate to live far enough away to be in a non-black-out area for Espn360, and have been able to watch 4 games so far this season. Who woulda thunk it? Congratulations to all involved------from Oz and Devil in the Blue Dress all the way up to Thad Lewis and Coach Cut! Go Devils!:D

ricks

There is a moribund site called Dukefootballreport dot com if anyone want to try to do something with it. There haven't been any posts there since last year. I don't know who owns it, but if anyone wants it, give it a shot.

Kewlswim
11-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Hi,

I think there must be more of a traditionalist in me than most, but I dislike that the UNC game is next week and not the last game of the regular season. I just don't understand why one would mess with this tradition?

Furthermore, I don't really understand why the Big Four teams don't play one another every year (this includes basketball home and home). I believe we won't play Wake this year in football. Why? The Big Four teams playing one another are a part of tradition. Although we would have a harder time beating Wake this season than say Maryland, we should still play Wake. Sometimes the ACC does great things, but to me this is just wrong. With that being said, GO TO HELL CAROLINA regardless of when we play them.

GO DUKE!

DukeCO2009
11-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Hi,

I think there must be more of a traditionalist in me than most, but I dislike that the UNC game is next week and not the last game of the regular season. I just don't understand why one would mess with this tradition?

Furthermore, I don't really understand why the Big Four teams don't play one another every year (this includes basketball home and home). I believe we won't play Wake this year in football. Why? The Big Four teams playing one another are a part of tradition. Although we would have a harder time beating Wake this season than say Maryland, we should still play Wake. Sometimes the ACC does great things, but to me this is just wrong. With that being said, GO TO HELL CAROLINA regardless of when we play them.

GO DUKE!

We actually do play Wake this year on the final weekend of November. If we can take care of chapel hill, it will either be for a bowl or for a better bowl. Should be exciting!

loran16
11-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

Seriously, i don't get people who complain about this.

Listen, for the North Carolina students at Duke, the Thanksgiving game was great. They'd go home for the holiday then come back for the game.

But the majority of students went home to their families. So EVEN IF WE HAD AN INTERESTED STUDENT FAN BASE, THEY WOULDNT SHOW AT THE GAME!

Meanwhile, UNC wouldn't have the same problem with their fanbase.

I mean, its nice to think of the season ending up vs UNC, but I for one, am glad that this tradition has changed. When Duke's students comes around, they'll be able to support the team (next year) when we're at Wally Wade.

Plus, Wake to end the year could still be epic if we win one game before then. Here's hoping its next week.

FireOgilvie
11-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Seriously, i don't get people who complain about this.

Listen, for the North Carolina students at Duke, the Thanksgiving game was great. They'd go home for the holiday then come back for the game.

But the majority of students went home to their families. So EVEN IF WE HAD AN INTERESTED STUDENT FAN BASE, THEY WOULDNT SHOW AT THE GAME!

Meanwhile, UNC wouldn't have the same problem with their fanbase.

I mean, its nice to think of the season ending up vs UNC, but I for one, am glad that this tradition has changed. When Duke's students comes around, they'll be able to support the team (next year) when we're at Wally Wade.

Plus, Wake to end the year could still be epic if we win one game before then. Here's hoping its next week.

I agree. I've never actually seen a Duke/UNC football game. I've always been home with the family and the game was usually meaningless as far as the postseason was concerned. I'd usually given up on the team by that point. I only saw 1 Duke win over an ACC team in my 4 years (Clemson, on the last second field goal). Also, the game hasn't been on TV in my home state area as far as I know, so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. I'm really looking forward to next weekend!

Kewlswim
11-01-2009, 03:32 AM
I agree. I've never actually seen a Duke/UNC football game. I've always been home with the family and the game was usually meaningless as far as the postseason was concerned. I'd usually given up on the team by that point. I only saw 1 Duke win over an ACC team in my 4 years (Clemson, on the last second field goal). Also, the game hasn't been on TV in my home state area as far as I know, so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. I'm really looking forward to next weekend!

Hi,

I guess I was one of those weird students who always seemed to catch the Duke-UNC football game Thanksgiving or not. :D I am glad we are playing Wake, that is the second thing I stand corrected about.

GO DUKE! BEAT UNC & WAKE & BECOME THE BIG FOUR CHAMPION OF 2009

davekay1971
11-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Just adding in my word of congratulations and thanks to this team! 3 in a row, including 2 double-digit victories as a road dog. A great win, and a great year for Thad Lewis and the team continues.

Next up, the 'Holes. Their fanbase, always mercurial, is back on the bandwagon after their strong win at Va Tech (and much props to the suddenly Navy Blue 'Hole team for that win). How nice would it be for our Blue Devils to march into Chapel Hell and kick all those 'Hole fans right back off the bandwagon?

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

RelativeWays
11-01-2009, 10:55 AM
To give you some perspective on the "last game of the year" tradition that seems to have some people so upset, I checked out the IC football board (nowhere near as retarded as its bball counterpart) after the NCSU game and most of the poster in the Duke/State thread wanted us to win. Don't forget we have a rivalry with Wake as well, and they've ripped our hearts out 2 of the last 3 times, the other game was also closely fought. I want to beat Wake as much as UNC this year..

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2009, 11:04 AM
November 7 is Carolina's Homecoming. What a gift! A loss to Duke at Homecoming!