PDA

View Full Version : 1991

rasputin
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Over the weekend, I watched my tapes of the victories over UNLV and Kansas in the 1991 Final Four. A few random thoughts:
1. Everybody looks so young!
2. I liked those uni's better (both the home white and road blue). (I know, I know, it's been discussed to death around here.)
3. Billy Packer made intelligent, useful commentary. I guess he later evolved into the glass-half-empty guy for whom everything was a bad play by one player instead of a good play by the opponent.
4. Man, I REALLY loved watching Brian Davis play.

shoutingncu
10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
My fond recollection of '91 is that of the ACC Champion. ;)

(sorry, wrong thread)

Johnboy
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
My fond recollection of '91 is that of the ACC Champion. ;)

(sorry, wrong thread)

Funny, my fondest recollection of 2009 is the ACC Champion! ;)

dukemsu
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Over the weekend, I watched my tapes of the victories over UNLV and Kansas in the 1991 Final Four. A few random thoughts:
1. Everybody looks so young!
2. I liked those uni's better (both the home white and road blue). (I know, I know, it's been discussed to death around here.)
3. Billy Packer made intelligent, useful commentary. I guess he later evolved into the glass-half-empty guy for whom everything was a bad play by one player instead of a good play by the opponent.
4. Man, I REALLY loved watching Brian Davis play.

Agreed on Packer. He was especially on for the Vegas game-it's as if he had a sense of what was going to happen. He was pretty awed by Grant-he certainly saw glimpses of what Hill would become, though to be fair, that wasn't hard to notice.

Davis was a leader and an underrated offensive contributor, along with his well reputed defensive wizardry. My favorite play in the Vegas game was when he locked up Augmon and forced the shot clock violation. That was the point where Vegas began to feel they were in trouble.

dukemsu

DukeFan78
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
that 1991 team still amazes me when I think about it! Hope the 2009 team has a great year! It will be interesting to see if a PG/floor leader emerges like the 1991 team had in Hurley.

1Devil
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
that 1991 team still amazes me when I think about it! Hope the 2009 team has a great year! It will be interesting to see if a PG/floor leader emerges like the 1991 team had in Hurley.

You mean the 2010 (current) team. I think the 2011 team has a good chance of resembling that 1991 team. Of course, the 1990 team reached the championship game.

jkidd31
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I much preferred the adidas shoes worn back then over nike LOL

The Vegas game is still one of my favorite memories, especially because of how thoroughly they won the year before and the fact Vegas was going for the perfect season.