PDA

View Full Version : I Know The Parents Were There, But

B-well
10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
What is going on with fans in Cameron?

I understand about the life-size cardboard replica of a recruit - NCAA No-No.

But then there was the requirement that a shirt be turned inside out - Southwest corner of the undergraduate section. was that about?

Then the Dick Vitale look-alike in the yellow "Event Staff" who stood on the sidelines staring up at the West Side Crazies - even when the ball was in play and during halftime. He looks like an issue waiting to happen.

The Blue Devil started a mime of surfing without the board and band rollers - but that long standing trademark event was missing.

Are there new guidelines for Crazie behavior in Cameron?

I remebered an ESPN article - http://espn.go.com/page2/s/cameron/hits.html
-but I also remember tennis balls, beach balls, halos, bikini girl and speedo guy and lots of fun.

Let's hope we are not going to become as dignified as the students and faculty at Yale.

allenmurray
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
What is going on with fans in Cameron?

I understand about the life-size cardboard replica of a recruit - NCAA No-No.

But then there was the requirement that a shirt be turned inside out - Southwest corner of the undergraduate section. was that about?

Then the Dick Vitale look-alike in the yellow "Event Staff" who stood on the sidelines staring up at the West Side Crazies - even when the ball was in play and during halftime. He looks like an issue waiting to happen.

The Blue Devil started a mime of surfing without the board and band rollers - but that long standing trademark event was missing.

Are there new guidelines for Crazie behavior in Cameron?

I remebered an ESPN article - http://espn.go.com/page2/s/cameron/hits.html
-but I also remember tennis balls, beach balls, halos, bikini girl and speedo guy and lots of fun.

Let's hope we are not going to become as dignified as the students and faculty at Yale.

I think there was a lot of concern about secondary recruiting violations becasue of the Barnes visit. Maybe the staff went overboard, but Iimagine that was responsible for some of the "sedateness".

El_Diablo
10-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, the shirt had a reference to Harrison Barnes, so he was told to turn it inside out (for compliance reasons).

camion
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
For some reason that reminds me of Jingleheimer Junction (http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=1042).

loran16
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Congratulations, if you had AFTER THE FIRST EXHIBITION GAME as the first time someone posted on the board complaining about the students in Cameron, YOU ARE A WINNER! Come on Down!

Seriously...you're bringing this up already? Wait till the actual games (Lets say....Greensboro) before complaining.

Duvall
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Actually, I thought the crowd was pretty good for a laugher of an exhibition game.

The surfboard bit was probably skipped because the band may have been shorthanded after the football game.

El_Diablo
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Actually, I thought the crowd was pretty good for a laugher of an exhibition game.

The surfboard bit was probably skipped because the band may have been shorthanded after the football game.

And they did the surfboard routine twice* at C2C, so now we're even. :)

*A timed competition...once with the band, once with a group of student challengers

OZZIE4DUKE
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
And they did the surfboard routine twice* at C2C, so now we're even. :)

*A timed competition...once with the band, once with a group of student challengers
I would absolutely love to do the surfboard routine, both as the surfer and as a "roller"! When I played in the Alumni Band last December I volunteered, but Jeff said "no surfing today" :(

B-well
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I thought the Crazies were great - especially for an exhibition game. The guys from Pfieffer will always remember the experience.

I just sensed that Crazie activities were receiving a lot of extra oversight.

airowe
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I thought the Crazies were great - especially for an exhibition game. The guys from Pfieffer will always remember the experience.

I just sensed that Crazie activities were receiving a lot of extra oversight.

B-well, I agree. Your original post was a little misleading and it could have been construed as you attacking the Crazies. If I understand it correctly, you were criticizing the crackdown by the Athletics Department, not the Crazies.

You'll have to understand that the Athletics Department is very cautious (as they should be) towards anything that could be interpreted as a recruiting violation. This probably explains why there have been no major violations during K's tenure here...

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
This is absolutely not true and this kind of rumor will get the Duke Athletic Department and the basketball program in general in a lot of trouble. The signs, props, etc were all manufactured by STUDENTS. I'd appreciate it if this and the original post was deleted as it is in violation of the rumor mongering policy of this forum and is very dangerous if quoted somewhere else. This is absolutely not true!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's tooo funny.

edit...OMG...someone did as he asked...that's almost even funnier.

DukieInKansas
10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
This is absolutely not true and this kind of rumor will get the Duke Athletic Department and the basketball program in general in a lot of trouble. The signs, props, etc were all manufactured by STUDENTS. I'd appreciate it if this and the original post was deleted as it is in violation of the rumor mongering policy of this forum and is very dangerous if quoted somewhere else. This is absolutely not true!

I believe the poster you quoted was saying that the basketball department gave the Crazies props - as in congratulating them on a job well done - rather than props to use during the game for cheering.

striker219
10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I believe the poster you quoted was saying that the basketball department gave the Crazies props - as in congratulating them on a job well done - rather than props to use during the game for cheering.

I was wondering the same thing, that is, how you define props.

juise
10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
"Props" = proper respect... slang for praise/recognition. I would link to Urban Dictionary, but it's blocked at work.

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing, that is, how you define props.
Maybe there was a cessna in Cameron that day...
I'm still laughing at that deletion.

striker219
10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
That pesky English language...

airowe
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm older, but not old. However you interpret it, better safe than sorry....

DU82
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM

i'm guessing the band may have been too WET to roll on the floor. Not enough bball managers with towels for that!

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Are we truly having a convosation about the word or slang word Props?

lpd1982
10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
OMG- I meant props...as in high five. Way to go. Nice job felllas.
BTW, OMG means Oh my god. Now that we are bloggin and tweetin here at Duke, you better step it up!

PumpkinFunk
10-26-2009, 06:44 PM

I was in the student section, but seeing who was there, that was the reasoning behind not surfing - there weren't nearly enough experienced surfers (or enough band members, for that matter) because of the football game and parent's weekend. A lot of people were out with parents or simply had work to do after having most of the day before the game eaten up by football.

weezie
10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I would absolutely love to do the surfboard routine, both as the surfer and as a "roller"! When I played in the Alumni Band last December I volunteered, but Jeff said "no surfing today" :(

This is just is not right! Come on Ozmeister...can't you figure out some kind of charity "surf ride" that could persuade the powers that be? I'm in if you can do it.
Talk about no respect!

Scorp4me
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the Duke Compliance Department is going a bit overboard. I could easily be wrong, but I haven't seen any other school's compliance department this much. As for the NCAA rules that the department is trying to uphold...well, they are just ridiculous in the first place!

Indoor66
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the Duke Compliance Department is going a bit overboard. I could easily be wrong, but I haven't seen any other school's compliance department this much. As for the NCAA rules that the department is trying to uphold...well, they are just ridiculous in the first place!

I don't know the details of the rules but I would like to believe the Duke Compliance Office does. I agree that if such signs are against NCAA Regs, then the Regs are rediculous. That said, I would rather the Compliance Office be more diligent than daring. An infraction is not worth having such a sign.

IRRC, our only NCAA penalty, in the early 70's, arose out of a Duke supporter who owned a clothing story helping David Thompson have a sport coat to attend a function. I believe that the function did not involve Duke or a Duke activity. Only that Duke was recruiting Thompson and the donor was as Duke fan.

El_Diablo
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Today's Chronicle article on compliance and the Pfeiffer game:

http://dukechronicle.com/article/compliance-and-its-discontents

Some good points:
-Students made some posters and signs for the game
-Duke Athletics did its job in confiscating them immediately
-Harrison still saw them

I don't understand the complaints about the confiscations. Duke is just trying to follow the rules. So don't blame them. And don't get upset with the NCAA for the rules...just imagine what it would be like with no boundaries whatsoever. Recruiting would be a complete 3-ring circus...oh wait...well, it would be even more ridiculous than it already is. :)

RelativeWays
10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
So when the basketball department gave the crazies props for "representin CIS", they were being proactive in beseeching legal council for use of said props, right?

BD80
10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
So when the basketball department gave the crazies props for "representin CIS", they were being proactive in beseeching legal council for use of said props, right?

UrbanThesaurus.com?

gus
10-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know the details of the rules but I would like to believe the Duke Compliance Office does. I agree that if such signs are against NCAA Regs, then the Regs are rediculous. That said, I would rather the Compliance Office be more diligent than daring. An infraction is not worth having such a sign.

IRRC, our only NCAA penalty, in the early 70's, arose out of a Duke supporter who owned a clothing story helping David Thompson have a sport coat to attend a function. I believe that the function did not involve Duke or a Duke activity. Only that Duke was recruiting Thompson and the donor was as Duke fan.

the same booster also gave thompson tickets to the ACC tournament, along with transportation, room and board, and expenses.

But you're right that Duke apparently had no knowledge of it.

airowe
10-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Man, I'm never gonna live this down, am I? I've self-reported a violation on myself and will now have a reminder of my lack of street cred by editing my signature.

RelativeWays
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Man, I'm never gonna live this down, am I? I've self-reported a violation on myself and will now have a reminder of my lack of street cred by editing my signature.

Don't sweat it, the others here are just sipping on the haterade.

What I mean by that is that you should not worry, others are giving you grief for their amusement. Haterade is not an actual beverage and prespiration tends to be an involentary reaction to the surrounding climate relative to your own body temperature, it is not something that one can actually control through will alone. :cool:

DukieInKansas
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. I can see how you could read it that way. I was just trying to put the other interpretation out there also.

And, for the record, I like turbo props! ;) (And I would view it as a little light hearted ribbing, not haterade.)

BD80
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM

I was more amused by:

proactive in beseeching legal council

airowe
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I didn't want to push my thread count to 667 and take off my sub-handle of "Nickel Nose" but thought I should reinforce here that my response was absolutely tongue in cheek. I think its funny that I'm being called out for the misinterpretation.

I mean I self-reported a violation on myself. That was clearly in jest, no?

RelativeWays, thanks for educating me on HaterAde. ;)

Ps, any mods reading this, if you can change the sub-handle of post #667 to Neighbor of the Beast I'd enjoy it.

RelativeWays
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I was more amused by:

So wait, you took my pun on "representin" seriously? That makes me a little sad

DukieInKansas
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Even funnier - all this started with 2 entries that no longer appear on the thread. :D

BD80
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
So wait, you took my pun on "representin" seriously? That makes me a little sad

No. Just was more amused by: "proactive in beseeching legal council"

RelativeWays
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
No. Just was more amused by: "proactive in beseeching legal council"

Ok, faith restored :D

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I LOVE the sig...

lpd1982
10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Even funnier - all this started with 2 entries that no longer appear on the thread. :D

It's true. Perhaps they are in Compliance with the t-shirts, banner, cut out and fliers. Oh, and I did not literally mean 'in'.

airowe
10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
It's true. Perhaps they are in Compliance with the t-shirts, banner, cut out and fliers. Oh, and I did not literally mean 'in'.

Props to Post #9 :cool: