PDA

View Full Version : New UNC Football Uniforms

Im4howdy
10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Did anyone else notice that the "new" UNC uniforms, unveiled in the losing cause to FSU, were royal blue with powder blue numbers? Unbelieveable :eek:

I have never passed up the opportunity to ask new Carolina people I meet (who actually went there) why UNC letterjackets are Duke Blue. Looks like there is another hilarious way to needle them (and their love for Columbia blue):D

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Did anyone else notice that the "new" UNC uniforms, unveiled in the losing cause to FSU, were royal blue with powder blue numbers? Unbelieveable :eek:

I have never passed up the opportunity to ask new Carolina people I meet (who actually went there) why UNC letterjackets are Duke Blue. Looks like there is another hilarious way to needle them (and their love for Columbia blue):D

Butch Davis began to use navy blue after he arrived at Carolina. It's a throwback to UNC uniforms years ago (1950's?).

During the portion of my career when I was ordering many sports uniforms, I understood Columbia blue to be a deeper blue than the pale blue shade associated with Carolina.

airowe
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Here's the throwback basketball jerseys I was talking about in the Pfeiffer thread:

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor58/fullscale/100-23324-c.jpg

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor58/fullscale/100-23323-c.jpg

allenmurray
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Here's the throwback basketball jerseys I was talking about in the Pfeiffer thread:

Alex, I'll take "what happens when you cross a UNC uniform with a pic-nic tablecloth" for $500 please.

Unless of course, "throwback" means that is what the UNC players do with them when they are handed out.

devildeac
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing. Now I have to go see my ophthalmologist because my eyes are bleeding.:rolleyes:;)

oldnavy
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Alex, I'll take "what happens when you cross a UNC uniform with a pic-nic tablecloth" for $500 please.

Unless of course, "throwback" means that is what the UNC players do with them when they are handed out.

Best line of the day.

JStuart
10-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Give me a buzz anytime, DevilDeac. I've puzzled over this for several years, but there are plenty of folks walking around the triangle with Duke Blue hats/shirts/jackets on that are despoiled with the UNC logo in pale blue.
I asked some of my colleagues in the UNC Ophthalmology section if they were sponsoring a resident's project to look into the seemingly localized outbreak of a recessive trait in the Orange County area whereby the foveal cone receptors have been altered to be unable to determine the difference in wavelength in the UV end of the spectrum. Side effects from drinking from the Old Well?
Puts a whole new meaning on blue-blocker glasses, doesn't it?
JStuart

devildeac
10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Give me a buzz anytime, DevilDeac. I've puzzled over this for several years, but there are plenty of folks walking around the triangle with Duke Blue hats/shirts/jackets on that are despoiled with the UNC logo in pale blue.
I asked some of my colleagues in the UNC Ophthalmology section if they were sponsoring a resident's project to look into the seemingly localized outbreak of a recessive trait in the Orange County area whereby the foveal cone receptors have been altered to be unable to determine the difference in wavelength in the UV end of the spectrum. Side effects from drinking from the Old Well?
Puts a whole new meaning on blue-blocker glasses, doesn't it?
JStuart

LMAO. Only from an ophthalmologist could I get that response and you happened to be reading the DBR today.:cool:;)

yancem
10-26-2009, 04:32 PM

I've been watching acc basketball since before Jordan's time and I don't remember ever seeing unc uniforms with picnic table ticking!

shoutingncu
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Butch Davis began to use navy blue after he arrived at Carolina. It's a throwback to UNC uniforms years ago (1950's?).

And it's not royal blue (but it's certainly too close for comfort).

It worked well in the UConn game last season. Not so much this year.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12451

Jarhead
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
This is a topic that has been discussed before, but I can't recall just when. I'm talking about both our current use of royal blue, and UNC's use of a very dark blue (not quite navy blue) in their very satisfying loss to FSU last week. Yes, Carolina used a darker shade of blue back during the Charlie Justice era. Duke, on the other hand, used a darker shade of blue for many years. My recollection is that that changed when Duke purchased new uniforms that were knock offs of the unis then in use by the Dallas Cowboys, including the gray pants. That was the start of the drift to the lighter shade of blue, as I recall. The color migration was influenced by many things, but my thoughts are that the marketing geniuses at Nike have brought our team uniforms, all of the teams, to this point. This is in spite of a letter from on high that someone had posted or linked here. The letter spoke of the official shade of blue, a registered color with a specific name that I cannot recall. Something like Prussian blue (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_blue), but I trust that someone will bring it up from the archives, and post it here. Then we can have some fun discussing it. Personally, I like Prussian blue a lot better than royal blue.

Aziggazoomba
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I've been watching acc basketball since before Jordan's time and I don't remember ever seeing unc uniforms with picnic table ticking!

FWIW, Carolina's uniforms in 1957 (the Frank McGuire National Championship) had the red/white trim. It looked better on those uniforms (to see it in person, go to the UNC basketball museum, where one is on display) than on these modern day "throwbacks."

BTW, count me in as a Heel fan who hated the all-navy look on Thursday night. There is some precedent for navy blue in Carolina uniform history, but Thursday night was over the top. I guess Butch (who doesn't like his school's color) was looking for an intimidating look. I, for one, would prefer that he just focus on coaching the team and leave the sartorial issues to others.

Carolina_Blue
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Royal Blue? perhaps you need to consult the color wheel...maybe if Carolina basketball starts losing we can start a forum discussing the duke uniforms........for example the ridiculous pattern on the back of your jerseys....I will admit the "picnic cloth" throwbacks were hideous...but thats michael jordans doin so I can live with that for one game.....we will be unveiling more throwbacks throughout the year to celebrate 100 years of carolina basketball....i hope they do not add the trim to the others..

Battierfan01
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Royal Blue? perhaps you need to consult the color wheel...maybe if Carolina basketball starts losing we can start a forum discussing the duke uniforms........for example the ridiculous pattern on the back of your jerseys....I will admit the "picnic cloth" throwbacks were hideous...but thats michael jordans doin so I can live with that for one game.....we will be unveiling more throwbacks throughout the year to celebrate 100 years of carolina basketball....i hope they do not add the trim to the others..

Just an FYI, that pattern on the back of our jerseys is the Duke Chapel, one of the coolest buildings on campus!!

whereinthehellami
11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
You got to love how Butch took one look at their school colors and said it was time to man up and wear something else. Powder blue looks good on my little girls when they are wearing sundresses but not on a sports uniform.

Carolina_Blue
11-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Just an FYI, that pattern on the back of our jerseys is the Duke Chapel, one of the coolest buildings on campus!!

that said I dont believe that a basketball jersey is the place for gothic architecture .... and you may say that a picnic cloth has no place on trim of the basketball uniforms and ill agree but those were to honor the past...for one game only thankfully

Battierfan01
11-18-2009, 02:05 PM
that said I dont believe that a basketball jersey is the place for gothic architecture .... and you may say that a picnic cloth has no place on trim of the basketball uniforms and ill agree but those were to honor the past...for one game only thankfully

I actually love our new basketball jerseys. The Chapel is the symbol of Duke University, so whats wrong with putting it on sports uniforms??

Carolina_Blue
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
its a basketball jersey not a brochure about campus life

davekay1971
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM

For your consideration: the punctuation of a Carolina graduate.

FWIW, however, I have no quibble with Carolina_Blue's critique of the Chapel design on the back of the uniform. I love the Chapel, but I'm not loving it on the uniform, either.

I do, however, prefer Butch Davis's tastes in shades of blue to, say, Deano's.

airowe
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
CarolinaBlue,
If you noticed, this thread had been dead for nearly 3 weeks before you decided to stick your nitpicking into it about which shade of blue the new UNC Football jerseys were. It's not a major point of contention over here. If you feel the need to defend your colors, this is not the place. Take it up with your football coach who has said he doesn't like the colors himself.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Battierfan01
11-18-2009, 02:35 PM
its a basketball jersey not a brochure about campus life

Thats right its a basketball jersey, and since Duke plays more nationally televised games then any other school out there, it seems like a much better way to show off your campus then a brochure.

DukeUsul
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I for one think the gothic design on the uniform looks horrible.

I also applaud Butch Davis for excellent choice in color!

shoutingncu
11-18-2009, 03:03 PM
CarolinaBlue,
If you noticed, this thread had been dead for nearly 3 weeks before you decided to stick your nitpicking into it about which shade of blue the new UNC Football jerseys were. It's not a major point of contention over here. If you feel the need to defend your colors, this is not the place. Take it up with your football coach who has said he doesn't like the colors himself.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

It was also brought up last season, for whatever it's worth.

I actually appreciate the return of this conversation, though, as I had not realized what the pattern on the back of Duke's basketball jerseys was. Since I stick mostly to unc-related threads, I missed the one about the new unis.

Now I'll have to take a closer look next time Duke plays... is your team on TV at all? ;)

airowe
11-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Ncu, I wasn't around the last time this thread was brought up, just commenting on this one.

I'm not crazy about the hologram either, but at least it's in line with Duke's image and is not a completely different color than what our school is known for.

Devilsfan
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
FWIW, probably not much, I think they suck.

Battierfan01
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Now I'll have to take a closer look next time Duke plays... is your team on TV at all? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep, more then any other college or university out there. Even more then the Lakers and Cavs. :)