PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing - JWill and Manning

gw67
03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Seeing Strawberry bust out and drive to the hoop on fast breaks during recent Terps’ games reminded me of the two greatest players at driving to the basket on fast breaks that I’ve seen during my 40+ years of watching ACC basketball, JWill and Greg Manning. Manning was a guard on the King/Graham teams of the late 70’s and early 80’s. He was one of the best shooters in ACC history for a guard (58.3% from field and 85.8% from the foul line) but what really separated him from other top guards of that era was his fearlessness and ability to score on the break. Until JWill came on the scene, I had never seen another guard who was as fearless and as effective on the end of the break. JWill not only finished well but his strength and jumping ability allowed him to score even when bigger players would foul him on purpose. Early in his career, I recall a break where one of the Stanford big men seemed to perfectly time the drive by JWill but at the last split second JWill switched the ball to his off hand and avoided the block while making the basket. They showed it on replay and it was an amazing play.

Strawberry and others have been equally courageous going to the hoop but I have not seen anyone better that JWill and Manning.

gw67