PDA

View Full Version : Bowl eligibility

Inonehand
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
With 4 wins (one against FCS team), can someone explain to me why I've read so many times that we need 3 more wins and not just 2?

airowe
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
With 4 wins (one against FCS team), can someone explain to me why I've read so many times that we need 3 more wins and not just 2?

http://www.accsports.com/articles/200910256250/acc-football-power-rankingsoct-26.php

Duke (4-3) beat N.C. Central, but that result doesn’t count in the bowl picture because the Eagles are still in the NCAA transitional phase and are not yet full FCS members. UNC and Duke both require three more wins and State has to go 4-1 the rest of the way to qualify.

MADevil30
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM

A FBS (1-A) team usually needs 6 wins to be considered bowl eligible. A rule change a few years ago allows FBS teams to count one win against a FCS (1-AA) team each year toward their bowl eligibility. This would be the case for Duke had we beaten Richmond and I believe is the source of confusion for a lot of people here (this question has come up a lot lately). The problem is that NCCU does not have enough players on scholarship to be considered a viable opponent to count toward bowl eligibility.

tallguy
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Because NCCU doesn't count towards bowl eligibility due to it's provisional D1AA status.

wilko
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
So long story short; all wins arent created equal. (In terms of Bowls) Got it.

Im not one to get seduced by the siren song of Bowl talk JUST yet.
Im wary, yet hopeful.

Heres a head scratcher....
How many more wins are necessary to have COY talk for the Headcoach?
2 more? or does that rest soley with a bowl bid?

I can see one happening before the other quite frankly.

sagegrouse
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I understand the confusion and the fact that we have new readers and occasional readers, but doesn't it seem like there is new thread on this topic every week?

Of course, that's a good news situation because in the last week of October, we've got a Duke team that MIGHT become bowl eligible.

sagegrouse
'Formerly Blue Grouse, a species common in my yard. However, the American Ornithologist's Union decided to split the Blue Grouse into a Rocky Mtn. and a Pacific Cascades species, labelling them Dusky Grouse and Sooty Grouse. Yuck! Therefore, feeling a need to be ornithologically correct, I changed my name to its cousin, the Greater Sage Grouse, which inhabits my county but not my yard. As one of my bird leader's wife said, "Some species names are so dumb, they could only have been created by a man."'

Greg_Newton
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Speaking of bowl eligibility... I don't personally EXPECT us to get to a bowl and would be very happy with a 6-6 season, but check out the latest ACC power rankings: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5698/acc-pow%20er-rankings-week-9-2

If we win/lose our remaining games as predicted by those rankings, we'd be 7-5 and bowling!

Inonehand
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I understand the confusion and the fact that we have new readers and occasional readers, but doesn't it seem like there is new thread on this topic every week?

I appreciate the information from other posters. I did not know that NCCU was in transitional stage meaning that win wouldn't count. Bummer. I guess, for sagegrouse, I should either read and post every day or not have any questions. My bad.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM

I appreciate the information from other posters. I did not know that NCCU was in transitional stage meaning that win wouldn't count. Bummer. I guess, for sagegrouse, I should either read and post every day or not have any questions. My bad.

Not to worry. In one way or another, we're all playing catch up and adjusting to changes after about 40 years in the desert.

El_Diablo
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM

Or use the search function first to see if your question has already been covered...

DukeSean
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
....and just in case you don't believe us:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5735/duke-needs-seven-wins-promise

sagegrouse
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Hope I didn;t sound churlish. My comment was one of bemusement not of irritation.

sagegrouse

Duke79UNLV77
10-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Or use the search function first to see if your question has already been covered...

Or lighten up, Francis

-bdbd
10-26-2009, 11:50 PM
If one of your program's primary stated goals is to get back to a bowl, then why the heck would you EVER schedule a game with NCCU this year. In terms of getting to the magical SIX COUNTABLE WINS, all you've done in scheduling them is effectively taken away one of your opportunities for a win. IOW, it is a defacto loss before the game is even played. I have nothing againt NCCU, at all, but even with some of the stuff that happened with this date on our schedule in the last couple years, weren't there ANY other teams that we coulda played - D1 or D2 - where we would have had another win chance. Heck, schedule FLA or Texas -- even there we have SOME chance (albeit very small) of getting a countable win... With NCCU, it is zero.

-BDBD :confused:

hughgs
10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
If one of your program's primary stated goals is to get back to a bowl, then why the heck would you EVER schedule a game with NCCU this year. In terms of getting to the magical SIX COUNTABLE WINS, all you've done in scheduling them is effectively taken away one of your opportunities for a win. IOW, it is a defacto loss before the game is even played. I have nothing againt NCCU, at all, but even with some of the stuff that happened with this date on our schedule in the last couple years, weren't there ANY other teams that we coulda played - D1 or D2 - where we would have had another win chance. Heck, schedule FLA or Texas -- even there we have SOME chance (albeit very small) of getting a countable win... With NCCU, it is zero.

Because, from a program standpoint, there's more to scheduling games than simply becoming bowl eligible. The NCCU game gives Durham residents an excuse to watch Duke football which in turn creates a larger local fan base.

JBDuke
10-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Please read this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17049&highlight=Louisville)for more info. And please learn to use the search function.

Closing this thread, since the ground has been covered...