PDA

View Full Version : DC/Bethesda Dukie looking for a pickup basketball game

chrisheery
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Anyone live in the NW DC/Bethesda area and play pickup hoops? I moved here in July and haven't been able to find a decent game.

Thanks to anyone who knows anything and is willing to share said knowledge.

BlueDevilBaby
10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Try the Y. I know they play pickup at the Y in DC on 17th Street.

blazindw
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I live in downtown Bethesda/Chevy Chase. Here, we play pickup hoops once a week at a court at the corner of Wisconsin Ave and Cumberland Street in Friendship Heights (weather permitting since it's an outdoor court). When it gets colder, we actually get our normal group of guys and chip in some money to rent a gym once a week for a couple hours to play ball.

chrisheery
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I live in downtown Bethesda/Chevy Chase. Here, we play pickup hoops once a week at a court at the corner of Wisconsin Ave and Cumberland Street in Friendship Heights (weather permitting since it's an outdoor court). When it gets colder, we actually get our normal group of guys and chip in some money to rent a gym once a week for a couple hours to play ball.

Any chance I could become a part of that? Dont want to intrude, just looking for a game.

blazindw
10-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Any chance I could become a part of that? Dont want to intrude, just looking for a game.

Sure...we usually play Wednesdays depending on the weather.

chrisheery
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Anyone else?

bjornolf
10-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Probably way too far out for you, but my church has a game every Friday night in Dumfries, VA.

mkirsh
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Basically there are 3 alternatives if you are looking to find a game:

1) Play outside (although you are running out of weather and daylight). I haven't done this in a while, but you used to able to find good games and a pretty nice outdoor court on AU's campus (legal disclaimer, I'm not sure if this is considered trespassing or not, so I am not officially advocating it), also there's a court on Reno and Legation in friendship heights that I have played at in the past.

2) Join a gym with a basketball court - I know Sports Club LA on 22nd and M has a court with good runs and is well organized (fun fact, my hoops claim to fame is that I played a few pickup games with George Clooney back in his K-Street days there - pretty good player, plays hard, very good guy), and I think Bethesda Sport and Health and Results on Capitol Hill also have courts. I currently belong to Yates Field house (Georgetown U) and they have 3 courts and can usually find a good run there.

3) Find someone who rents a gym for a weekly game - This can get expensive as private gyms cost $100-$150 per hour and in my experience renting public school gyms is a tough bureaucratic process. Also, a lot of the games I know of are “over-subscribed” so these tend to be tough to find.

Hope this helps

Reisen
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
I used to play Sundays at an elementary school in downtown Bethesda, I think at like 2pm. A friend invited me to the game, but that's been several (3?) years ago. I'll reach out and see if they still play.

chrisheery
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
for all the input. Its really helpful. I appreciate you looking into that game too.

I joined Bethesda Sport and Health, but the basketball pickup times are very odd, 6:30am Tues/Thurs, 11:30am - 1pm MWF, and some early evening games as well as some weekends. I guess I will have to get to know some of the guys and try to get them to play at 6pm. I mean, who takes 2 hour lunches to play basketball? How does one explain that?

bjornolf
10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
for all the input. Its really helpful. I appreciate you looking into that game too.

I joined Bethesda Sport and Health, but the basketball pickup times are very odd, 6:30am Tues/Thurs, 11:30am - 1pm MWF, and some early evening games as well as some weekends. I guess I will have to get to know some of the guys and try to get them to play at 6pm. I mean, who takes 2 hour lunches to play basketball? How does one explain that?

politicians and government bureaucrats?

chrisheery
10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I used to play Sundays at an elementary school in downtown Bethesda, I think at like 2pm. A friend invited me to the game, but that's been several (3?) years ago. I'll reach out and see if they still play.

Any word? I'm free tomorrow, just thought I would check in. (Or tell me the school and I could just show up if you think that would be ok)