PDA

View Full Version : Big week in the ACC

throatybeard
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Big, big week in the ACC. A new ranking from OF would be real cool.

We know what we did.

Florida State 30, North Carolina 27.

Gets a little heat off Papa Bowden. North Carolina is now two (!) games behind Duke, in dead last, after being a fashionable preseason pick to rule the division.

Notre Dame 20, Boston College 16.

Kind of undermines the league a bit, but at least it was on the road...

Navy 16, Wake Forest 13.

...which was in Winston. Ugh.

Georgia Tech 34, Virginia 9. GT started very slow but ended up whipping Virginia like they should. State, Maryland, and Virginia are all, how to say, not very good. Virginia, though, is 2-1, so we really need to beat them. This is actually, like, a serious game. GT has tiebreak over Virginia Tech, and is a game up on...

Clemson 40, Miami 37, OT. Miami isn't going to a BCS game, methinks. This game was in Coral Gables. Clemmy messed up their clock management in regulation. Then, they had a 3rd and 11 and looked like, at best, they were going to pick up a few yards to get a FG attempt under 40 yards. Touchdown pass. Mad props to Clemson.

SupaDave
10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

I watched a little of this game and it's not quite so bad. Boston College was starting a freshmen QB and their offense seemed a bit limited. They played hard though. They are a team that will be back very soon.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Big, big week in the ACC. A new ranking from OF would be real cool.

We know what we did.

Florida State 30, North Carolina 27.

Gets a little heat off Papa Bowden. North Carolina is now two (!) games behind Duke, in dead last, after being a fashionable preseason pick to rule the division.

Navy 16, Wake Forest 13.

...which was in Winston. Ugh.

Georgia Tech 34, Virginia 9. GT started very slow but ended up whipping Virginia like they should. State, Maryland, and Virginia are all, how to say, not very good. Virginia, though, is 2-1, so we really need to beat them. This is actually, like, a serious game. GT has tiebreak over Virginia Tech, and is a game up on...

Clemson 40, Miami 37, OT. Miami isn't going to a BCS game, methinks. This game was in Coral Gables. Clemmy messed up their clock management in regulation. Then, they had a 3rd and 11 and looked like, at best, they were going to pick up a few yards to get a FG attempt under 40 yards. Touchdown pass. Mad props to Clemson.

Wake's game was away, not in WS.

throatybeard
10-25-2009, 02:31 AM

My bad.

I guess, these days, Navy has been the best of the service academies lately. It used to be (used to recently, not 1946) that Air Force was OK and Navy and Army were train wrecks. But Paul Johnson fixed Navy and they are with it even with the new coach. I'm still disappointed in Wake Forest though.

killerleft
10-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Just a sidenote: If media exposure is any measure, ACC sports are not getting their fair share. I'm in Greensboro, less than an hour from Duke. TimeWarner cable has two(!) HD channels dedicated to Big Ten sports. Even the service academies' football games are on TV every week. I can find SEC games and coaches' shows with no trouble.

Meanwhile, I've been switching channels trying to find some highllights of Duke's big win over Maryland. Haven't seen a thing other than the score, even on the local affiliates.

The ACC is not doing a good job of promoting football. "Football Johnny" Swofford should be canned. I nominate Leo Hart.

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2009, 03:11 PM
And Navy played their backup QB.

Wander
10-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd say:

1: Virginia Tech
2: Georgia Tech
3: Miami
4: Clemson
5: Boston College
6-9 (in no order): FSU, Duke, Wake, Virginia
10: UNC
11: North Carolina State
12: Maryland

Kind of a cop out, but I don't see how you can make any sense of those middle four right now.

wolfpackdevil
10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I'd say:

3: Miami
4: Clemson
5: Boston College
6-9 (in no order): FSU, Duke, Wake, Virginia
10: UNC
11: North Carolina State
12: Maryland

Kind of a cop out, but I don't see how you can make any sense of those middle four right now.

My version of the 12 acc team ranking:

1. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia Tech
3. Clemson (I don't think the UM win was a fluke, there really good when Parker plays well)
4. Miami
5. Florida State (I think the UNC win turned this team around. I think they'll start winning games to close out the season)
6. Boston College (They got killed in the only 2 tough ACC games they've played in.)
7. Duke
8. Wake Forest (has looked horrible as of late)
9. Virginia (Played bad vs. UMD, and even worse vs. GT)
10. UNC
11. NC State (still has time to turn the season around... if they want to)
12. Maryland (horrible...that's really all I can say)

CMARTZ
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
If it means anything, both analysts picked Duke in this week's bowl projections:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections?season=2009&week=8

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
If it means anything, both analysts picked Duke in this week's bowl projections:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections?season=2009&week=8

I'm thinking that those two analysts are not realizing that Duke has to win 3 out of 5 to go to a bowl.

At UVA
At UNC
GT
At UM
WF

I just can't see both of those guys saying that Duke will win 3 out of 5, while playing that schedule.

JasonEvans
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
My version of the 12 acc team ranking:

1. Virginia Tech
2. Georgia Tech

I'd say:

Can either of ya'll explain why you think Va Tech is better than Ga Tech right now? GaT beat VaTech, and the game wasn't quite as close as the final score indicated, just a few weeks ago. Ga Tech's only blemish is a rain-soaked game in Miami. Va Tech has looked somewhere between mediocre (close win at Duke) and bad (loss to Ga Tech) the only 2 times they have gone on the road so far this year.

Va Tech's schedule down the stretch is easier than Ga Tech's (which includes Ga and games at Duke and at Vandy), but if Ga Tech wins out, I think they will certainly deserve that trip to the ACC title game ahead of Va Tech.

--Jason "Clemmons beating Miami helped fix a lot of nasty tiebreaking scenarios in the ACC Coastal... unless Duke or Va suddenly surprise some teams" Evans

Wander
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Can either of ya'll explain why you think Va Tech is better than Ga Tech right now?

I think Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and Miami are the top three. They each have gone 1-1 against the other two, with a victory at home and loss on the road. So my tiebreaker is in margin of victory. VT was at least respectable at GT; GT got blown out by Miami, as did Miami by VT. Georgia Tech then gets second place due to Miami's loss this weekend. I admit it is arguable though.

Duke79UNLV77
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Don't we get to count Central as our 1 I-AA win, or are they DII?

wolfpackdevil
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Can either of ya'll explain why you think Va Tech is better than Ga Tech right now? GaT beat VaTech, and the game wasn't quite as close as the final score indicated, just a few weeks ago. Ga Tech's only blemish is a rain-soaked game in Miami. Va Tech has looked somewhere between mediocre (close win at Duke) and bad (loss to Ga Tech) the only 2 times they have gone on the road so far this year.

Va Tech's schedule down the stretch is easier than Ga Tech's (which includes Ga and games at Duke and at Vandy), but if Ga Tech wins out, I think they will certainly deserve that trip to the ACC title game ahead of Va Tech.

--Jason "Clemmons beating Miami helped fix a lot of nasty tiebreaking scenarios in the ACC Coastal... unless Duke or Va suddenly surprise some teams" Evans

I determine the top team by saying to myself, "If these two teams played on a neutral field right now, who would win?"

And in my mind, if tomorrow GT played VT on a neutral field, VT would win.

That's why I think they're number 1.

Olympic Fan
10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd also rank Georgia Tech over Virginia Tech right now ...

Of course, it doesn't matter what we think. As it now stands, Georgia Tech has by far the easiest track to the ACC title game.

The Jackets are 5-1 in the ACC with two league games left -- Wake Forest at home on Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 at Duke. If they win those two games, they clinch the Coastal Division title -- since they have the tiebreaker over Va Tech and Virginia (which also have just one ACC loss). So they have their fate in their hands. Va Tech needs us (or WF) to help them out.

In the Atlantic, Clemson is the team with their fate in their hands. But the key for them will be FSU's Nov. 7 visit to Death Valley. Even though the 'Noles are 1-3, they could win out to be 5-3 and would have the tiebreaker over Clemson. But they don't have their fate in their own hands, because they lost to BC (3-2) and need for somebody (preferably two teams) to beat the Eagles. Clemson, on the other hand, has the tiebreaker over BC.

In truth, almost everybody in the Atlantic is still in it. It's going to be tough to catch Georgia Tech in the Coastal ...

It is worth noting that if Duke were in the Atlantic right now, the Devils would be in first place in the division!

[Note: Before anybody points out that Duke also has its fate in its own hands, I should note that even if the Devils win out to finish 7-1 in the ACC, they still need somebody else to beat Virginia Tech, which owns the tiebreaker vs. the Devils].