PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey and Duke...Perfect together!!

Pernell
10-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'm sort of biting an old NJ Gov. Thomas Kean slogan, New Jersey and You, perfect together.

But I can't but help think of the good things that come about when Jersey players play at Duke(Lance and Zou notwithstanding-but they're improving).
From Alaa to Bobby, Roshown, Jay, Dahntay, and now Kyrie. Hopefully Kyrie will continue the strong tradition that New Jersey point guards have had at Duke.

I'm sure I've left out other Jersey players but these are the few that came to mind.

Pernell
A proud NJ Duke alum

proelitedota
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
20% of duke is from NJ. Kind of makes you wonder.

The Gordog
10-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Actually, NOT.

devildeac
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Actually, NOT.

Over the last 8 years since my children either applied to or attended Duke, NJ students have been < 10% of the Duke undergrad population, usually about 4th to 8th on the student numbers.

duke09hms
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
NJ kids make up less than 5% of duke students

a school like duke gets smart kids from all over the country, except I think montana and west virginia for the class of 2013

sagegrouse
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I went to orientation at the U. of Delaware when my daughter enrolled a few years ago. Delaware, which has a state charter, is a quasi public-private university IIRC.

Anyway, the Dean gave the enrolments by state. Delaware is a regional school, with students largely from Virginia up through New England. As I recall the numbers, in a class of about 3,000, there were 831 from Delaware and 828 from New Jersey -- at the University of Delaware! I assumed that there an Assistant Dean of admissions whose jobs was to make sure there were a couple of more freshmen from Delaware than from New Jersey (or maybe to cook the data so it came out that way).

Also, FWIW I have heard in the past Duke had the most geographically diverse student body in the country, equaled by Notre Dame and exceeded only by the service academies.

sagegrouse