PDA

View Full Version : FB: Florida State 30, North Carolina 27

NovaScotian
10-22-2009, 11:44 PM
good game, just ended. was it weird that unc was basically wearing duke blue uniforms? were these new? did they contribute to the loss?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Down goes carolina! Down goes carolina! Down goes carolina!

And they gave up a 24 - 6 3rd quarter lead to lose 30 - 27.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Thad has to be drooling. No pass offense, and our run defense is far better than FSU's. What an incredible collapse...on national television..to a bad team..nice job heels.

Duvall
10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Epic two-minute drill there by the Heels.

Wander
10-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I think it was a classic example of how a game can be close, yet still suck. Both teams looked pretty awful to me, particularly the coaching. I'll still take the UNC loss, of course, and if we beat them, they very well might go winless in conference.

WiJoe
10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Down goes carolina! Down goes carolina! Down goes carolina!

Ozzie, you are absolutely the BEST

:o

loran16
10-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Thad has to be drooling. No pass offense, and our run defense is far better than FSU's. What an incredible collapse...on national television..to a bad team..nice job heels.

I don't know QUITE how good our Run Defense is. We are generally able to stop the run for the first half before wearing down a little (see VT game). But they have no pass offense.

AND I think Thad can pass on them. That should be fun.....we could face an acc-winless Heels team if things go right. Now how would that look! :-)

DukeHoopsGuru
10-22-2009, 11:54 PM
So you think it was painful for you guys? Try hating UNC with a passion yet having them for a decent sum of caysh up 24-6 only to see them screw you. The only thing missing was Roy catching a crucial pass late in the game only to have him kick and miss the field goal. Screw them!

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
So you think it was painful for you guys? Try hating UNC with a passion yet having them for a decent some of caysh up 24-6 only to see them screw you. The only thing missing was Roy catching a crucial pass late in the game only to have him kick and miss the field goal. Screw them!
Welll...that's what ya get when you bet on a heel...what a strange thing to do.

CameronBlue
10-23-2009, 12:07 AM
1st-10, UNC31 15:00 T. Yates passed to G. Little to the left for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, UNC35 14:45 R. Houston rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss
3rd-7, UNC34 14:30 FLSt committed 15 yard penalty
1st-10, UNC49 14:30 R. Houston rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, FLSt48 13:37 S. Draughn rushed up the middle for 8 yard gain
1st-10, FLSt40 13:24 T. Yates sacked by K. Smith
2nd-14, FLSt44 12:35 FLSt committed 10 yard penalty
1st-10, FLSt34 12:35 S. Draughn rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, FLSt31 11:59 T. Yates passed to D. Ramsay down the middle for 1 yard loss
3rd-8, FLSt32 11:12 G. Little rushed up the middle for 5 yard gain
4th-3, FLSt27 10:43 S. Draughn rushed to the right for 5 yard gain
1st-10, FLSt22 9:50 T. Yates incomplete pass to the right
2nd-10, FLSt22 9:40 T. Yates incomplete pass to the right
3rd-10, FLSt22 9:35 T. Yates incomplete pass to the right
4th-10, FLSt22 9:30 FLSt committed 5 yard penalty
4th-5, FLSt17 9:30 C. Barth kicked a 34-yard field goal

moonpie23
10-23-2009, 08:43 AM
UNC ordered the Mama Cass Deluxe Club last night....

Battierfan01
10-23-2009, 09:00 AM
I heard Butch Davis was trying to contact David Cutcliffe to see how to win an ACC game.

Indoor66
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I thought, from reading the boards several years ago, that Butch Davis was a savior who would lead the sheep to a national championship by now. What happened to the genius?

Battierfan01
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah. I think the real savior might be Coach Cutcliffe!!

superdave
10-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Butch Davis said he thought Carolina blue is wimpy right? That's the reason for the Duke blue. That has to anger the proud (arrogant) Rams Club.

Also, Yates drove them 12 yards down the field in about 60 seconds while running the 2 minute offense. He'd have to have 5 minutes at that pace to get them into fielf goal range. What a choke job. Paulus #2 must not be that good if he cannot supplant Yates.

Super "I wonder if LT is sober these days" Dave

Kfanarmy
10-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I am a Duke fan, but I felt bad for the UNC football players in the 2nd half.

Coaches had them running hard on offense and attacking on defense in the 1st half and they built a solid lead. In the second half, the coaches seemed to decide they HAD to throw and didn't call any pass rushes. Coaches took their foot off the gas and let FSU back into the game...completely inexplicable that after FSUs first scoring drive after the half, they did not get back to what got UNC the lead. I can't even imagine why they would start passing--using less time on the clock and not pass rush-- knowing UNC had to have points...bizarre adjustments by Davis over halftime...essentially this is working, we must adjust.

Oh and for what it's worth I'm much more against FSU football for all the shenanigans their players have been involved in over the years than I am UNCs.

sagegrouse
10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
FWIW I thought the key play in the game was the 95-yard TD pass play that brought FSU to within one TD of a lead.

The UNC bench was deflated. THe QB had both hands to his head. A certain victory had become not so certain.

And FSU was totally pumped. Its pass offense was much more effective towards the end of the game. Don't know why FSU can't run, but it is obvious it can't.

UNC has no pass offense, and so when it had to pass, it was basically sunk.

sagegrouse

grossbus
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
" thought the key play in the game was the 95-yard TD pass play "

actually, 98 yard. longest pass play in kenan history, i think.

those uni's were a scream.

strange how vocal and animated LT was while they were ahead (even getting on the field a couple of times), but quietly sitting on the bench when they fell behind. reminded me of brenda, klang and peppers sitting on the bench for the end of the last two games against them in 2001.

and, on the subject of blown calls by officials in all sports, how about the non-reversal of the incompletion at the end of the game. should have been an INT. officials probably didn't know what to do, so they let it stand.

whereinthehellami
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Boy that was clinic on how not to win a game. Both teams tried their hardest to lose. Butch continues to screw up time management at the end of games. The FSU coaching experiement is about to blow up big time.

You got to like Duke against UNC. UNC has the talent but its not wide enough to disguise the holes that UNC have. I'll take Coach Cut over Butch any day of the week with the X's and O's. Vince is a major disruptor on the Dline against the run. I hope Coach Cut goes for the jugular against UNC, as they are trying to play conservatively so that they can eke out the Ws. If Coach Cut can get the guys to play hard and have fun, they will win. UNC is playing too tight.

El_Diablo
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
It was a little sad watching Bowden just roam the sidelines like a spectator, unable to call any plays himself. You'd think he could at least wear the headphones so he knows what plays were being called...

Acymetric
10-23-2009, 01:49 PM
and, on the subject of blown calls by officials in all sports, how about the non-reversal of the incompletion at the end of the game. should have been an INT. officials probably didn't know what to do, so they let it stand.

I believe that I've seen in other games that the rule is that if it its blown an incompletion at the time (once the play is blown dead nothing can happen, so nothing after the whistle can be reviewed). Now, in the replays it looked like the FSU player had the ball before the whistle blew, so maybe it still would have been reviewable, but I'm not sure where they would spot the ball...where he was when the whistle blew? The wouldn't be able to give them the pick-6 since the play was "over." I'd be curious to hear an explanation from the league on that one, if for no other reason than to hear the rules on review in that situation, because it obviously didn't touch the ground.

CameronBornAndBred
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Now, in the replays it looked like the FSU player had the ball before the whistle blew, so maybe it still would have been reviewable, but I'm not sure where they would spot the ball...where he was when the whistle blew?
But it was reviewed..and it stood. Horrible call, that should have been the end of game right there..I had nightmares of a unc TD coming up.

Devilsfan
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks Carolina for prolonging Bobby's career for at least a few more games.
A loss to the heels might have been more than fsu backers could take. But the squad from chapel hill being the caring soles they are let fsu come back and win. Nice jesture. We would love to have Bobby at the helm when we play them, imo. My money would be on Coach Cut.

camion
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I was SHOCKED to turn the game on and see UNC in dark blue uniforms. I suspect they were trying to steal our mojo, but they got our old mojo, not our new, Cutcliffe, mojo. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I was SHOCKED to turn the game on and see UNC in dark blue uniforms. I suspect they were trying to steal our mojo, but they got our old mojo, not our new, Cutcliffe, mojo. :)

The navy blue uniforms are an idea from Butch Davis harking back to some Carolina uniforms many years ago. They were first seen in the current era at least as early as last season.

Battierfan01
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I guess its hard for Butch to apply his "NFL knowledge and wisdom", when he doesn't have NFL talent.

Kimist
10-23-2009, 05:02 PM

That call was definitely a Kenan stadium homer. By all logic FSU should have scored off that interception and then game over.

Can you imagine the uproar (legitimate!) from the FSU folks if unc had someone managed to win with that late gift from the refs?

No, I'm not into ref-bashing, but I thought the entire purpose of reviewed plays was to get things CORRECT! :mad:

k

roywhite
10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
It was a little sad watching Bowden just roam the sidelines like a spectator, unable to call any plays himself. You'd think he could at least wear the headphones so he knows what plays were being called...

There was more than one over-rated, ineffective head coach in last night's game.

roywhite
10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I guess its hard for Butch to apply his "NFL knowledge and wisdom", when he doesn't have NFL talent.

According to Rivals.com, UNC recruiting classes during Butch's time there have been nationally ranked

2007 #17
2008 #32
2009 #9

This compares favorably to nearly every other ACC program, yet they are winless in the conference. We may hear some discussion about this Tarheel team being young, but they have been attracting highly recruited prospects and don't have much to show for it.

Acymetric
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
According to Rivals.com, UNC recruiting classes during Butch's time there have been nationally ranked

2007 #17
2008 #32
2009 #9

This compares favorably to nearly every other ACC program, yet they are winless in the conference. We may hear some discussion about this Tarheel team being young, but they have been attracting highly recruited prospects and don't have much to show for it.

It seems like they've been "young" for Butch's entire tenure there, doesn't it? I feel like that word gets tossed around to defend unc football all the time.