PDA

View Full Version : Can we now stop? (Apparently not, no)

rthomas
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Can we now stop saying that Coach K can not coach the national team and recruit high caliber players for the Blue Devils? That was so stupid and I hope it is over.

Duvall
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Can we now stop saying that Coach K can not coach the national team and recruit high caliber players for the Blue Devils? That was so stupid and I hope it is over.

I look forward to the end of the stupid arguments about the staff not spending enough time on recruiting and a return to the stupid arguments about recruiting too many players for not enough slots.

wolfpackdevil
10-22-2009, 08:05 PM

He is not coaching the national team RIGHT now. so recruiting is not an issue with usa basketball for now...

MADevil30
10-22-2009, 08:15 PM
He is not coaching the national team RIGHT now. so recruiting is not an issue with usa basketball for now...

He did however spend two weeks this summer running an olympic team camp in Vegas, and summer, not october, is the really key recruiting time. I'm with the original poster

Jim3k
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
The summer weeks he was coaching the Olympic team were NCAA dead weeks. No conflict whatsoever.

You think Coach doesn't have a calendar?

BD80
10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Wolfpackdevil isn't one of the ones we need to hear from (or maybe hear no more from). I think he was supportive of K's Olympic duty.

I'd like to hear from the ones that said that the Olympic commitment was hurting recruiting.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Playing Devil's advocate..so excuse me..but while the talk should stop, it wasn't unfounded. The past recruiting classes have not stacked up to what we as fans became used to...but then maybe that's the problem right there. K performed at such a high level for such a long time it's incredible to look back and see what he accomplished. That being said, it is true that he was outrecruited by Roy and Cal recently..it's hard to argue against it. Obviously the last few years have not been at the same height that bar was raised. He has Irving now, but I'm not sure that will even quell the talk; I really believe that Barnes needs to become a Blue Devil for that to happen. I like our chances, and even if it doesn't happen, I'll like our class. But if we don't that means that whoever gets Barnes will most likely "win".

Wander
10-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't this, if anything, be a piece of evidence that the Olympics did hurt recruiting? (and I don't feel particularly strongly either way).

speedevil2001
10-22-2009, 08:45 PM

no not, lets keep pressing until coach k recruits harrison barnes and wins the national championship. presser is good for him.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't this, if anything, be a piece of evidence that the Olympics did hurt recruiting? (and I don't feel particularly strongly either way).

This.

I REALLY want to take this day to enjoy Kyrie's decision, but the fact that recruiting and performance went south from 2005-2008 and seems to be rapidly returning to pre-Olympic levels as soon as K got back after the 2008 games is not a good argument that concern about the Olympics was wrongheaded.

Now let's get back to celebrating a great signing and a bright future for Duke basketball. :)

Carlos
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
The summer weeks he was coaching the Olympic team were NCAA dead weeks. No conflict whatsoever.

You think Coach doesn't have a calendar?

Not quite "no conflict whatsoever." The summer evaluation period ends on 7/31 and last year K and the team were on a plane to China on 7/26.

In 2012 the Olympics start a little earlier - 7/27 instead of 8/10. If USA Basketball follows the same schedule - arriving in country about 12 days ahead of the Games - then it means K and the rest of the staff would be out of recruiting from 7/15 on. The last evaluation period runs from 7/22 - 31 so they would miss some face time with recruits.

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 09:59 PM
"Can we now stop saying that Coach K can not coach the national team and recruit high caliber players for the Blue Devils?"

Evidently not. :)

Devilsfan
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
To borrow a slogan from Reggie's boss. Yes we can. As soon as he lands Mr. Barnes.

sagegrouse
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Not quite "no conflict whatsoever." The summer evaluation period ends on 7/31 and last year K and the team were on a plane to China on 7/26.

In 2012 the Olympics start a little earlier - 7/27 instead of 8/10. If USA Basketball follows the same schedule - arriving in country about 12 days ahead of the Games - then it means K and the rest of the staff would be out of recruiting from 7/15 on. The last evaluation period runs from 7/22 - 31 so they would miss some face time with recruits.

Here's one perspective: Coach K is the leading college basketball coach in the country. He has the most wins and NCAA championships of any active coach. He cares about the sport. He cares about the profession, having spent many, many years as prez of the NABC. As a West Point grad, he has demonstrated that he cares about the USA -- any doubts about that? He has shown character under every circumstance he has confronted.

He has been offered the chance to coach the US Olympic team, which has been a troubled program for many years -- most evidently when Larry Brown was running things. He has been offered the resources to get the job done. He has said yes -- twice! The first time he was hugely successful, attracting the leading players in the NBA to the challenge of playing for their country and winning their allegiance and support.

At the same time he is continuing as coach of Duke and swearing that the two activites are complementary, not competitive.

What is this constant nagging about coaching the Olympics? Are you saying K is wrong? Are you saying he is lying? This is an argument for the sake of an argument. Reminds me of my first wife. (Oops, scratch that.)

Would it be OK for the critics to just shut up and enjoy the ride?

sagegrouse
'I am not picking on Carlos'

Edouble
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I REALLY want to take this day to enjoy Kyrie's decision, but the fact that recruiting and performance went south from 2005-2008 and seems to be rapidly returning to pre-Olympic levels as soon as K got back after the 2008 games is not a good argument that concern about the Olympics was wrongheaded.

Yeah, agree.

I don't feel too strongly about this issue, but I don't think that KI's decision today ends the argument. I think we'd need to see how the next four years plays out with the Duke job and the Olympic job co-existing (again).

No one would say "Bobby Bowden is back in the saddle" if FSU suddenly won an ACC game.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Would it be OK for the critics to just shut up and enjoy the ride?

To be fair, if you check the top of the thread, "the critics" didn't bring this up at all. I deliberately didn't start a thread on the topic and was hoping we could all enjoy the ride this evening. But if someone is going to bring up a hot topic apropos of nothing and in a belligerent tone (i.e. "that was so stupid") I don't see any need for anyone to "shut up" on a message board devoted to civil discussion.

Again, I'm 100% on board with enjoying a really good day. If other folks will stop taking baseless potshots I'm more than happy to let it drop. Yay Kyrie and let's go Duke!

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Bobby Bowden's back in the saddle.

Carlos
10-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey, I don't have any problem with K coaching USA Basketball. I was just pointing out that there are some conflicts involved in the recruiting schedule. But there are also some positives which likely outweigh the minor conflicts. Look at Quincy Miller who had some public comments on his Facebook page that certainly reflect positively on K's experience. Add to that the fact that K says the experience invigorated him and makes him want to coach longer and that's a pretty good thing as well. Oh, and he also says he learned from the experience so toss another thing in the the plus column.

The one thing I would change if I could is that this next time around I would prefer that Collins and Wojo were not on the staff which would free them up time to recruit more. But then their time with the national team is a helluva experience for them to have so it's hard to begrudge them anything.

All that said, I wouldn't say that signing Irving and the inevitable signing of Barnes followed by Austin Rivers switching to Duke and then Quincy Miller, Brad Beal, and Marshall Plumlee all committing followed by the 3-straight National Championships we're destined to win (we're all in agreement here, right) can be any kind of definitive statement on the impact of K's activities with USA Basketball since so much of this recruiting has come in a year where he's had very little USA Basketball involvement.

Carlos
10-23-2009, 12:04 AM

In a related story, Joe Paterno just signed a contract extension.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-23-2009, 12:56 AM

Irving commits - Check

UNC loss - Check

Halfway to the Dream Weekend. :D

Can't wait to cheer on the Devils in practice Friday and spear the Turtle on Saturday with HB in attendance. Everything's coming up Milhouse.

loran16
10-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Irving commits - Check

UNC loss - Check

Halfway to the Dream Weekend. :D

Can't wait to cheer on the Devils in practice Friday and spear the Turtle on Saturday with HB in attendance. Everything's coming up Milhouse.

I assume the remaining 2 parts of the Dream weekend would be:

Duke defeats Maryland

Barnes Commits

-----------------
I would expect only to get 3/4 of the way there....but if the whole thing comes true, it'd be so awesome.

MChambers
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Now we need to switch to worrying about how quickly our very talented players will jump to the NBA. ;)

Highlander
10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I think that if K lands Barnes as well as Irving, that will quiet a lot of the talk about his lack of recruiting success recently or Olympic conflict of interests. Irving is a stupendous catch, no question, and our biggest one in a while. That being said, he is still only one player, and arguably similar in recruiting stature to Singler. Now, two top 10 guys in a single year would pretty much shut everyone up for quite a while. Not that I'm greedy :)

I do find it a little funny that K can miss on some really big recruits for 2-3 years in a row, but now that he's landed one all debate about our lack of recruiting should stop. Kind of like playing blackjack and losing 3 hands in a row, then winning the 4th and saying "See. I told you I was lucky!"

Recruiting is an art, not a science. I'm glad we're where we are.

sagegrouse
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
The one thing I would change if I could is that this next time around I would prefer that Collins and Wojo were not on the staff which would free them up time to recruit more. But then their time with the national team is a helluva experience for them to have so it's hard to begrudge them anything.

I have felt the Olympics assignment for the assistants has been driven by dollars. But maybe I have spent too much time in DC.

Here are the two rules of politics:

1. Whatever the pols are saying, it is not the whole story. This is pretty obvious for any advocate.

2. Whatever they say they are talking about, they are really talking about money.

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I look forward to the end of the stupid arguments about the staff not spending enough time on recruiting and a return to the stupid arguments about recruiting too many players for not enough slots.

I look forward to the end of complaining that Duke doesn't have a point guard, and a return to complaining that Duke doesn't have a center.

SMO
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Next debate will center on which coaches are spending too many minutes recruiting and which need more RT (recruiting time) to gain experience.:)

airowe
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I look forward to the end of complaining that Duke doesn't have a point guard, and a return to complaining that Duke doesn't have a center.

We've got two centers (or at least guys that can play the position.) Both named Plumlee.

Highlander
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks. That made me laugh out loud...