PDA

View Full Version : Weird question

Blueequalslife23
10-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I was at the office break room yesterday discussing with an Co-Worker of mine who is a UNC fan about the amount of guards for our team next year. We would have either a Nolan-Dawkins or a Kryie-Nolan guard combination. Then I got wondering. Do we see Kyrie Starting right away next year? Over a experienced Andre Dawkins? Thoughts anyone?

Duvall
10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I was at the office break room yesterday discussing with an Co-Worker of mine who is a UNC fan about the amount of guards for our team next year. We would have either a Nolan-Dawkins or a Kryie-Nolan guard combination. Then I got wondering. Do we see Kyrie Starting right away next year? Over a experienced Andre Dawkins? Thoughts anyone?

My thought is that we can worry about next year's rotation next year, and that there will be plenty of playing time for Smith, Curry, Dawkins and Irving.

dukelifer
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM

What a really good problem to have. We can play all players full out for 20 minutes a piece and probably not lose anything upon substitution.

airowe
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM

All thoughts from people I trust are that Kyrie will start from Day One. I'm sure this will be debated until it happens but he is the type of PG we need to run our show. Nolan should start off the ball. If Harrison comes and Singler stays:

Irving
Nolan
Barnes
Singler
Plumlee

4 out, 1 in on offense with Curry, Dawkins, Kelly coming off to provide deep range

and other Plumlee, Czyz, and Hairston coming into to fortify the post.

Thornton will get spot minutes playing PG.

Get out the scissors and look out nets!

Blueequalslife23
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree. Unlike this year... K really has to overuse Jon-Andre and Nolan

Blueequalslife23
10-22-2009, 06:54 PM
All thoughts from people I trust are that Kyrie will start from Day One. I'm sure this will be debated until it happens but he is the type of PG we need to run our show. Nolan should start off the ball. If Harrison comes and Singler stays:

Irving
Nolan
Barnes
Singler
Plumlee

4 out, 1 in on offense with Curry, Dawkins, Kelly coming off to provide deep range

That lineup is absolutely ridiculous and also think about how a good chance Ed Davis and Henson will be in the pros!!

BD80
10-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Kyrie is a point guard. Next year we will have 3 point guards, Kyrie, Seth Curry and Ty Thorton. We will always have at least one of those players on the court, and in certain situations 2 or three of those players. Andre and Nolan are wing players, as are Harrison and Kyle. If we have Harrison and/or Kyle, there would be less time we play Kyrie and Seth together, leaving them to more directly compete for PT.

Oriole Way
10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Kyrie is a point guard. Next year we will have 3 point guards, Kyrie, Seth Curry and Ty Thorton. We will always have at least one of those players on the court, and in certain situations 2 or three of those players. Andre and Nolan are wing players, as are Harrison and Kyle. If we have Harrison and/or Kyle, there would be less time we play Kyrie and Seth together, leaving them to more directly compete for PT.

Seth Curry is very far from being a pure point. Nolan Smith is much closer to a PG than Curry is.

Curry is much more of a shooting guard (even more so than Nolan), and he has the skills to be a combo guard if he improves his decision-making and passing.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Kyrie Irving and Nolan Smith will be a sick backcourt. Dawkins will start if we do not land Roscoe Smith or Harrison Barnes, and if Kyle Singler leaves early. I imagine that Andre would spell Nolan, or Harrison (hopefully). Seth Curry will backup the 2 guard/PG and Ty Thornton I am sure will get 5-10 minutes a game. Coach K will have the luxury of interchanging lineups. It's going to be great!

BD80
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Seth Curry is very far from being a pure point. Nolan Smith is much closer to a PG than Curry is.

Curry is much more of a shooting guard (even more so than Nolan), and he has the skills to be a combo guard if he improves his decision-making and passing.

Seth is here to become a point guard from an NBA perspective. He will often play off the ball in coming years, but he will be the Blue team PG all year long in practice and will be the primary ball-handler when he and Nolan are paired next year if Kyrie is not on the court.

Indoor66
10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Seth is here to become a point guard from an NBA perspective. He will often play off the ball in coming years, but he will be the Blue team PG all year long in practice and will be the primary ball-handler when he and Nolan are paired next year if Kyrie is not on the court.

And the source of these strong assertions?

Blueequalslife23
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I would much rather see Seth spot up like JJ did. Rather than try and run the show like he did at Liberty. Kids strong point is being a spot up shooter. When we have two guards like Kyrie and Nolan who can feed him the rock ...Why have the turnover headache?

meloveduke
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
This is what I see as the line up.

At the point: KI ( Ty off the bench)
At the two: Nolan (curry and dawkins off the bench)
G/F: singler (barns off the bench)
Power forward: MP1 (hairiston, I think plays off the bench for both MP1 and MP2)
C: MP2 (this is the only one I am really unsure about)

All of this is with the mind set that we get, barns and keep singler. I an sure we will see brns and singler on the floor at the same time.

This would be one of if not the best duke team I have seen.

jv001
10-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Irving
Nolan
Barnes
Singler
Plumlee

If Kyle comes back for his senior year, I guess that could be the starting lineup, but what if both Plumlee's have an outstanding year? It would be hard to bench one of them. But if they both have breakout years, I like our chances for a FF and maybe even a Championship. In that case Kyle would probably be gone. Then it would be Nolan, Kyrie, Harrison, Mason and Miles. Then off the bench, Curry, Thornton, Hairston, Kelly and Andre. Man what a team. That would be the deepest Duke team I can remember. Go Duke!

BD80
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
And the source of these strong assertions?

Physics.
Human Nature.
Statements from the Currys.
Articles regarding Seth's transfer to Duke.
The Blue/White Scrimmage.
DBR posts and articles cited therein.
Three years of watching Nolan Smith play basketball for Duke.
Articles and interviews regarding Steph Curry entering the NBA.
Over 35 years of watching the NBA.
29 years of watching Coach K coached basketball teams.
Years of closely following the NBA and college basketball.
A keen intellect trained at Duke University.

airowe
10-22-2009, 07:33 PM
This is what I see as the line up.

At the point: KI ( Ty off the bench)
At the two: Nolan (curry and dawkins off the bench)
G/F: singler (barns off the bench)
Power forward: MP1 (hairiston, I think plays off the bench for both MP1 and MP2)
C: MP2 (this is the only one I am really unsure about)

All of this is with the mind set that we get, barns and keep singler. I an sure we will see brns and singler on the floor at the same time.

This would be one of if not the best duke team I have seen.

Sorry dude. Barnes is not coming off the bench.

Greg_Newton
10-22-2009, 07:48 PM
IMO:

The givens...

-Kyrie and Nolan will be the starting backcourt.

-Either Mason or Miles will start at center.

-Kyle and Harrison will be the remaing two starters if they are on the team.

Past that...

If we only have one of Kyle/Harrison, Andre or the other Plum will be the fifth starter. I would expect Miles to have the edge, but both would receive starter's minutes.

If we have neither Kyle/Harrison, Miles and Andre both start.

I don't see Seth starting as a soph, given Kyrie will likely be a better true point and Nolan will likely be a better PG-sized off guard. He'll be a valuable sparkplug off the bench, but I don't see him truly emerging until Nolan vacates his role.

Hairston and Kelly will spell the Plumlees.

Thornton and Czyz will be quite deep on the depth chart, but with this potential team there may be plenty of garbage minutes to go around!

weezie
10-22-2009, 08:41 PM

With lines like these, we have a great shot at the Stanley Cup, too!

MChambers
10-22-2009, 08:42 PM

Can't we wait for a year to worry about this? We haven't seen Andre Dawkins or Kyrie Irving in a college game. And what about Curry? Who knows what strides Nolan will make this year?

mph
10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I would much rather see Seth spot up like JJ did. Rather than try and run the show like he did at Liberty. Kids strong point is being a spot up shooter. When we have two guards like Kyrie and Nolan who can feed him the rock ...Why have the turnover headache?

I agree with your overall point but Curry didn't really run the show at Liberty. Jesse Sanders was the closest thing LU had to a point guard and Kyle Ohman was a distant second. Either way, I agree that Seth's strong suits weren't ball-handling and setting up his teammates. He wasn't terrible in either area (1:1 A/T), but he'll have to work hard to improve those parts of his game if he wants to become a point guard at the ACC level.

sagegrouse
10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I an sure we will see brns and singler on the floor at the same time.

I think, more likely in the NBA.

sagegrouse

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
If Seth Curry plays in the NBA, it will most likely be as a point guard.

Likewise with Nolan Smith.

Can anyone who saw the B/W game last week tell me with a straight face that Curry is closer than Smith to being an NBA PG?

For those of you not in Cameron, Curry had 1 assist, 7 turnovers, and 5 fouls in 23 minutes last week.

By all accounts, Curry is smart, hard-working, and fundamentally sound. He'll be a contributor next year and should get better and better under K's coaching and playing with and against some really good players.

But maybe we should rein in those expectations a tad. He is a long way from being an NBA point guard.

And, is it that hard to spell Barnes?

Taco
10-22-2009, 10:17 PM
And, is it that hard to spell Barnes?

He couldn't afford a vowel.

Edouble
10-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Yes. KI will have the rock in his hands from day 1. If Kyle were to stay, I think it would be a Battier/Williams-like situation with Singler and Irving. Singler would be the veteran and the most important player, while Irving would be the most talented player on the floor.

Oriole Way
10-22-2009, 11:54 PM

I was merely refuting your point that next year we will have 3 point guards and that Seth Curry will be one of them. During regular season games - aside from garbage time in 30 point blowouts - Curry will not be an option at the point.

I certainly agree that Curry could man the point at some point towards the end of his career, and that his best shot at the NBA is as a PG, but he has some work to do.

duketaylor
10-22-2009, 11:57 PM
"He couldn't afford a vowel." That's just priceless;)

I'd like a W please. Kyrie=lots of Ws.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes. KI will have the rock in his hands from day 1. If Kyle were to stay, I think it would be a Battier/Williams-like situation with Singler and Irving. Singler would be the veteran and the most important player, while Irving would be the most talented player on the floor.

I see HB and KI as more of the Battier/Williams duo then KI and Kyle. But of course first we have to get HB to duke.

meloveduke
10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry dude. Barnes is not coming off the bench.

IF singler comes back were does he play?

He has worked on his speed all summer, and lost some weight over the summer. The 3 is his natural position, but would like to play a 2 in the NBA(this is what he said). I don't see coach k start singler(6'8"), when both plumlees(6'10") will have improved and be better suited for the role.

I am not saying barns couldn't start. He will make a great starter. What I am saying is that coach k will give the starting role to the player that can handle the role better. Barns will likely be better then singler was coming in, but singled will have three years of experience. I see singler handling the game pressure better his fourth year then barns in his first.

possible yes, but I just don't see it, sorry.

FireOgilvie
10-23-2009, 12:27 AM

He has worked on his speed all summer, and lost some weight over the summer. The 3 is his natural position, but would like to play a 2 in the NBA(this is what he said). I don't see coach k start singler(6'8"), when both plumlees(6'10") will have improved and be better suited for the role.

I am not saying barns couldn't start. He will make a great starter. What I am saying is that coach k will give the starting role to the player that can handle the role better. Barns will likely be better then singler was coming in, but singled will have three years of experience. I see singler handling the game pressure better his fourth year then barns in his first.

Barnes can comfortably play the 2 or 3 and Singler can play the 3 or 4. We could definitely go with Irving, Nolan, Barnes, Singler, Plumlee. There's no way Barnes is sitting on the bench at the start of the game. Zero percent chance.

I feel like this won't matter anyway, because Singler will probably be gone.

InSpades
10-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Just thinking about a Irving-Smith-Barnes-Singler-Plumlee lineup is enough to brighten ones day. The bench on that team would be a decent starting 5 at most ACC schools.

We are getting a bit ahead of ourselves though... this could be a very special year on it's own!

Edouble
10-23-2009, 01:14 AM

You're overthinking this one.

Barnes and Singler would both be two of the top five players on the team, so they would both start.

Plus, I can't think of a case where a lottery pick that left school early under "friendly circumstances" wouldn't have been welcomed back by his team as a starter.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Just thinking about a Irving-Smith-Barnes-Singler-Plumlee lineup is enough to brighten ones day. The bench on that team would be a decent starting 5 at most ACC schools.

We are getting a bit ahead of ourselves though... this could be a very special year on it's own!

In the hypothetical situation that this happens, the bench would be better than decent:
1 - Curry
2 - Dawkins
3 - Kelly
4 - Harrison
5 - Plumlee

Ummm....that is absolutely disgusting. And I mean that in a great way. A 10 man rotation is more than feasible. Wow - I have to stop thinking about next year and focus on this year, which will also be super exciting. It could potentially be one of K's best coaching years!

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:07 AM
In the hypothetical situation that this happens, the bench would be better than decent:
1 - Curry
2 - Dawkins
3 - Kelly
4 - Harrison
5 - Plumlee

Ummm....that is absolutely disgusting. And I mean that in a great way. A 10 man rotation is more than feasible. Wow - I have to stop thinking about next year and focus on this year, which will also be super exciting. It could potentially be one of K's best coaching years!

You mean "Hairston"? And don't forget Thornton. He should be good enough to earn some minutes. And Czyz will be a junior.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
You mean "Hairston"? And don't forget Thornton. He should be good enough to earn some minutes. And Czyz will be a junior.

Pardon the spelling - must have been a Freudian slip! ;) Regarding Thornton and Czyz, I assumed that both would be behind the 10 initially listed.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Pardon the spelling - must have been a Freudian slip! ;) Regarding Thornton and Czyz, I assumed that both would be behind the 10 initially listed.

And there's a good chance you're right. But there's also a good chance both are good enough to earn minutes, meaning if Singler returns and Barnes comes we could justify a 12 man rotation. Not saying it will happen that way, but we're going to have a very deep team.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 09:22 AM
And there's a good chance you're right. But there's also a good chance both are good enough to earn minutes, meaning if Singler returns and Barnes comes we could justify a 12 man rotation. Not saying it will happen that way, but we're going to have a very deep team.

If this does happen, has their ever been a deeper Duke team? Not to mention a deeper ACC team? Not to mention a modern NCAA team? A couple of Wooden's UCLA teams were absolutely stacked, but that's all I can think of...

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:31 AM
If this does happen, has their ever been a deeper Duke team? Not to mention a deeper ACC team? Not to mention a modern NCAA team? A couple of Wooden's UCLA teams were absolutely stacked, but that's all I can think of...

Well, as far as the NCAA goes, we might not know. How good were Florida's 11th and 12th guys in 2006 and 2007? I have no idea. Unless you attended practice you probably never saw them play.