PDA

View Full Version : The Kentucky Reaction Is "Priceless, Disgusting"

Franzez
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I dont know what their problem is, I want to believe all Kentucky fans arent this way but most online seem to be like this.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=133982465&mid=133982465&sid=888&style=2

There are countless other swipes at Irving, Duke University, and Coach K amongst their fans.

They want Knight, Selby, and Irving for the 2010 Class.:confused:

Franzez
10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=133936317&mid=133936317&sid=888&style=2

Im at a loss for words

Duvall
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Forget it, man. It's Kentucky.

wilson
10-22-2009, 06:46 PM
http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=133936317&mid=133936317&sid=888&style=2

Im at a loss for wordsThe vast majority of the posts in that thread are taking the OP to task for his erroneous assessment of Duke's current state. I think that, for the most part, you're looking to take offense where little, if any, is warranted.

dukeballer2294
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
let them talk... just makes us know how good of a player we got... if local pg 789 committed they wouldnt care... they know they missed out on a top 5 player and r upset... w/e we shouldnt waste our time

mph
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
The vast majority of the posts in that thread are taking the OP to task for his erroneous assessment of Duke's current state. I think that, for the most part, you're looking to take offense where little, if any, is warranted.

Agree. Most of the first dozen posts (as far as I read) were very reasonable and you could cherry-pick posts at the DBR that are as bad as the OP.

speedevil2001
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I dont know what their problem is, I want to believe all Kentucky fans arent this way but most online seem to be like this.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=133982465&mid=133982465&sid=888&style=2

There are countless other swipes at Irving, Duke University, and Coach K amongst their fans.

They want Knight, Selby, and Irving for the 2010 Class.:confused:

kentucky's reaction is priceless!!!!where is my mastercard?

OldPhiKap
10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Kyrie, I hope you don't read internet fan sites. But if you do:

1. Welcome to Duke. We are behind you 100%.

2. Listen to coach, he's kind of good at what he does.

3. The more opposition fans bellyache, the better you're doing.

4. Go to Hell, Carolina. Not sure where that fits in, but it fits in somewhere.

5. Is Kentucky on probation yet?

-- OPK

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Kyrie, I hope you don't read internet fan sites. But if you do:

1. Welcome to Duke. We are behind you 100%.

2. Listen to coach, he's kind of good at what he does.

3. The more opposition fans bellyache, the better you're doing.

4. Go to Hell, Carolina. Not sure where that fits in, but it fits in somewhere.

5. Is Kentucky on probation yet?

-- OPK

Good Job, That pretty much sums everything up

Edouble
10-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Today was my first and last visit to that site.

It was pretty weak over there.

I've never seen any gay-bashing like that on DBR.

Go Duke!

dukemsu
10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
for humans. That's my reaction to the worst of the UK board. I actually saw some reasonable posts, however, taking the original idiot to task.

Seriously, though, the general temperature over there is somewhere between intolerant and ludicrously intolerant. I had forgotten the ugliness-hadn't been over there since the Izzo to UK stuff was going on during the tourney.

Oh, it's going to be funny. I would guess UK will get their title(s) with Cal. But the depths to which they have sold their soul will come back to haunt them. Then again, it's UK. That will be nothing new for them.

dukemsu

JaMarcus Russell
10-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Oh, it's going to be funny. I would guess UK will get their title(s) with Cal. But the depths to which they have sold their soul will come back to haunt them. Then again, it's UK. That will be nothing new for them.

Why? Calipari has never won a championship before, nor has he ever played in a legitimate conference before.

I hope some of them understand the irony of UK fans calling Duke irrelevant because the Blue Devils haven't gotten farther than the Sweet 16 in the past couple of years. Even their moderator thinks that Duke needs a team full of national top 10 recruits to become relevant again. And they seem to think that once a team begins to struggle, they will never be able to bounce back. At the same time, they think that UK will jump back immediately. Wow.

Bostondevil
10-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Oh, it's going to be funny. I would guess UK will get their title(s) with Cal.

Perhaps, but how long before they are vacated?

Edouble
10-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Perhaps, but how long before they are vacated?

About 2 weeks after Cal and Wall are in the NBA.

G man
10-23-2009, 07:33 AM
As much as I dislike that other team down the road they have fans that conduct themselves better than Kentucky. We have had a few on this wonderful site and for the most part they are cordial. A couple of the posts over at cats pause were logical and not bad, but a few of those are a little pathetic. I hope that everyone on here learns from their arrogance, and we continue to conduct ourselves with class.

RelativeWays
10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Wow, after reading that thread, I have to say that some UK fans are just flat out ignorant and stupid. The hubris is almost unbearable, people say we're arrogant. At this point I really tempted to pull for the Sheep over the mildcats when they play in a couple of months.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 07:58 AM
So, while we're on the topic of Kentucky, which PG are they going to get for 2010?

NYDukie
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Wow, after reading that thread, I have to say that some UK fans are just flat out ignorant and stupid. The hubris is almost unbearable, people say we're arrogant. At this point I really tempted to pull for the Sheep over the mildcats when they play in a couple of months.

Without a doubt. I am not from the Carolina area so I don't know the real rivalry amongst those who live in it but even as a big Duke fan I'll take UNC anyday over UK. I know they are both generally considered "evil" in our lil world but when you dig deeper and try (I emphasize try...LOL) to look at it in a unbiased manner you will see a good, clean program and coach in UNC and Ole Roy and the real evil empire in UK and Calimari. Who would you rather your kid go play for???

Indoor66
10-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Without a doubt. I am not from the Carolina area so I don't know the real rivalry amongst those who live in it but even as a big Duke fan I'll take UNC anyday over UK. I know they are both generally considered "evil" in our lil world but when you dig deeper and try (I emphasize try...LOL) to look at it in a unbiased manner you will see a good, clean program and coach in UNC and Ole Roy and the real evil empire in UK and Calimari. Who would you rather your kid go play for???

Satan.

bgibbs1001
10-23-2009, 08:37 AM
As much as I dislike that other team down the road they have fans that conduct themselves better than Kentucky. We have had a few on this wonderful site and for the most part they are cordial. A couple of the posts over at cats pause were logical and not bad, but a few of those are a little pathetic. I hope that everyone on here learns from their arrogance, and we continue to conduct ourselves with class.

I don't know about that, maybe some are, but most of the Holes fan base seems very similar to UK's fan base as in arrogant. Also any Hole fan will tell you every single basketball prospect grew up a Hole fan.

NYDukie
10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Satan.

LOLLLL...Hey if you have to root for someone and since I'm an accountant, I'm looking at it from a very analytical perspective. Not like the game will end up in a tie.

I will provide this opinion on which Duke fans will root for whom in the UNC-UK game. For those Carolina based Duke fans, I will say the majority will root for UK as their daily interaction with UNC fans and disdain for them will be the overwhelming deciding factor of the "yuck" factor UK presents both from their coach and fanbase. Whereas, those Duke fans outside Carolina (i.e. such as many of us in the northeast) may root for UNC as we rationalize them being the better, cleaner program while UK just skeeves us out on so many levels...LOL

Just my two cents and I look forward to any comments or opinions of my fellow posters. And I'm open to any good hearted ribbing from those who think I'm "satan like" for picking UNC in that matchup. I got thick skin and it's all in good fun, I hope...hahaahaha

JasonEvans
10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Why? Calipari has never won a championship before, nor has he ever played in a legitimate conference before.

And he still isn't in one.

As it often does, the SEC will suck in basketball again this year. After Kentucky, who else in the conference is really good? A lot of folks have Tennessee in the top 20, but they were nothing all that special last year and have not added anyone all that great. After Tennessee, I guess it is Mississippi and Miss State, but they are barely ranked. Florida has loads of talent, but it is all young talent and we have seen this from Florida a lot lately where they bring in good recruits who don't "unpack their bags" long enough to really help the program.

And that is the cream of the conference. There are a lot of teams over there that just suck for a BCS conference. I would rate the SEC well, well, behind the other BCS conferences -- just like it was last year.

Here is a question-- aside from Kentucky, is there any other SEC team that would be a lock to finish over .500 in the ACC this year?

--Jason "ACC football is waay better than SEC basketball" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Ummm... I'd definitely say that the SEC is a legitimate conference. You're right, it is not that good this year (or the last two years), but it is oftne a top 5 conference. From 1998 - 2007, the SEC has had 5 Final Four teams, with only two conferences (ACC and Big 10) above them.

Every conference has their down year, and while the SEC has had a couple of down years, I would still call it a legitimate, and probably an elite, conference.

BD80
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
"ACC football is waay better than SEC basketball"

OOOoooohhh.

Good one. That is definitely going to leave a mark.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
And he still isn't in one.

As it often does, the SEC will suck in basketball again this year. After Kentucky, who else in the conference is really good? A lot of folks have Tennessee in the top 20, but they were nothing all that special last year and have not added anyone all that great. After Tennessee, I guess it is Mississippi and Miss State, but they are barely ranked. Florida has loads of talent, but it is all young talent and we have seen this from Florida a lot lately where they bring in good recruits who don't "unpack their bags" long enough to really help the program.

And that is the cream of the conference. There are a lot of teams over there that just suck for a BCS conference. I would rate the SEC well, well, behind the other BCS conferences -- just like it was last year.

Here is a question-- aside from Kentucky, is there any other SEC team that would be a lock to finish over .500 in the ACC this year?

--Jason "ACC football is waay better than SEC basketball" Evans

Assuming Renardo Sidney is eligibile, Mississippi State would hold its own in the ACC this year, maybe even be top tier. They're going to be good.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I will provide this opinion on which Duke fans will root for whom in the UNC-UK game. For those Carolina based Duke fans, I will say the majority will root for UK as their daily interaction with UNC fans and disdain for them will be the overwhelming deciding factor of the "yuck" factor UK presents both from their coach and fanbase. Whereas, those Duke fans outside Carolina (i.e. such as many of us in the northeast) may root for UNC as we rationalize them being the better, cleaner program while UK just skeeves us out on so many levels...LOL

I have tried rooting for UNC in similar situations, but after 8 or 10 seconds I just couldn't do it.

Moving on to other topics from this thread, I don't know how comfortable I am with Duke fans blasting UK or UNC fans for their arrogance. There would arguably be a pot and kettle thing going on there. Plenty of other things we can blast them for, but why not lighten up on all the judgmental stuff?

jipops
10-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I have tried rooting for UNC in similar situations, but after 8 or 10 seconds I just couldn't do it.

Moving on to other topics from this thread, I don't know how comfortable I am with Duke fans blasting UK or UNC fans for their arrogance. There would arguably be a pot and kettle thing going on there. Plenty of other things we can blast them for, but why not lighten up on all the judgmental stuff?

I hear you on that but seriously, I just don't get these people in Lexington. Did we (the board in general) go nuts in angst when John Wall chose UK over us? NO. Were we disappointed?, OH YES. Was there a general expression of bitterness? Not at all. Were we surprised? Not really.

So why are they so infatuated with us beating them out for a recruit for a change? And why so incredibly bitter? We're not in-state rivals, we're not conference rivals. What gives? I'm thinking there are some issues with the general psyche over in those parts. I mean my 4 yr old and 20 month old throw less temper tantrums.

NYDukie
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

This would be the one situation I could root for UNC. UK and Cal just make me feel dirty.

As for for Duke fans blasting UK or UNC fans, just the nature of the boards will allow for such a forum. However, that being said after I have gone on to the UNC and UK boards just to see what was being said regarding HB and KI, I was shocked to see all the anti-Duke and Duke bashing threads on their boards. At one point I thought nearly half of the IC boards had "Duke" or some form of Duke in the topic thread. I know there would be a few or some, but the volume of such and content went overboard on many instances. Don't get me wrong there were plenty of good posters with thought out commentary from them regarding Duke in both a postive and negative lights but the overall disdain by most posters for Duke was a eye opener to me. I do not think our posters are "angels" either as I've read some cross the lines but there is not nearly the amount of threads soley focused on UNC or UK as compared to their sites nor the volume of thrashy commentary towards their programs as their is for ours.

Again, just my two cents!

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I hear you on that but seriously, I just don't get these people in Lexington. Did we (the board in general) go nuts in angst when John Wall chose UK over us? NO. Were we disappointed?, OH YES. Was there a general expression of bitterness? Not at all. Were we surprised? Not really.

So why are they so infatuated with us beating them out for a recruit for a change? And why so incredibly bitter? We're not in-state rivals, we're not conference rivals. What gives? I'm thinking there are some issues with the general psyche over in those parts. I mean my 4 yr old and 20 month old throw less temper tantrums.

No question UK fans have us beat when it comes to bitter. They may even have us beat when it comes to arrogance, but it's a much closer call.

jipops
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
No question UK fans have us beat when it comes to bitter. They may even have us beat when it comes to arrogance, but it's a much closer call.

Any program in any sport that has obtained a high level of success is going to carry a certain amount of arrogance in its fan base. This exists everywhere.

But not having the understanding that it's ok for highly touted players to choose other programs over yours once in a while is incomprehensible. I don't even think the general Tarheel fan base is guilty of that.

If a certain #1 prospect were to choose UNC over us, we as fans would be crushed no doubt. There would probably even be a tinge of bitterness (though quickly curbed). But I seriously doubt we would start putting the kid down or start letting accusations fly. I'd like to think we would just move on with the excellent players we have.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I'd like to think we would just move on with the excellent players we have.

I'd like to think that, too. I'm not 100% convinced of it, however.

jipops
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd like to think that, too. I'm not 100% convinced of it, however.

Hopefully we won't have to find out :)

CLT Devil
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
No way, ever ever I would pull for the 'Holes over UK. Maybe it's because I grew up a Dukie in NC and had to put up with their nonsense for my whole life, but I don't care what's going on with UK...I'm rooting for them in that matchup everytime.

Kfanarmy
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Moving on to other topics from this thread, I don't know how comfortable I am with Duke fans blasting UK or UNC fans for their arrogance. There would arguably be a pot and kettle thing going on there.

Especially with a Duke fan on their board joining in the childish insults and implying that UK AND A&M fans are classless compared to Duke...

KyDevilinIL
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
No way, ever ever I would pull for the 'Holes over UK. Maybe it's because I grew up a Dukie in NC and had to put up with their nonsense for my whole life, but I don't care what's going on with UK...I'm rooting for them in that matchup everytime.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. Lifelong Duke fan, but I've spent about 95 percent of my life in Kentucky. Under absolutely zero circumstances do I root for UK. Kentucky-UNC games are exercises in stamina for me, but I'm far less disappointed when UNC wins, even though I'm not pulling for them.

I don't think I should have my fan card revoked because of this, though I suppose that's open to debate. So much of what makes fans of one team "hate" another team is tied directly to the words and actions of the fans. Far more so, I believe, than what actually happens on the court. Things that happen on the court guide what fans do, but it's the fans' reaction to the games that really stirs the pot.

I haven't had too much first-hand exposure to UNC fans, but I've had a lifetime of daily dealings with UK fans. On top of that, the UK fans I have dealt with most are largely in small-town or rural areas, which is Wildcat Wingnut Central (I'm sure it's much the same in N.C.).

Life as an unabashed Duke fan in Kentucky can be very difficult at times. That skews my perspective from the norm on this board, I guess. But the undeniable fact is that I generally feel – I mean really, really feel – wins and losses against UK more than I do against other opponents. If UK fans didn't hate Duke with such unbridled spirit, I'm not sure that would be the case. But it is the case, so it's not something I can help or can choose to change at this point.

elvis14
10-23-2009, 04:05 PM

I'm no UK fan and as others have pointed out, if you live anywhere near UK, you'll realize that their fans can very annoying. But I don't think you need to insult the UK fans so harshly. I mean comparing them to UNC fans, that's just mean. Yes, some of them have reacted poorly to the announcement but there are limits to the level at which we should insult UK because of that.

You lasted 7-9 seconds longer than I. Did you throw up into your mouth a little? 9F

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
You lasted 7-9 seconds longer than I. Did you throw up into your mouth a little? 9F

A little. The 8 or 10 seconds may have been an exaggeration. The two times I attempted this, I switched to rooting for my 2nd favorite team (whoever's playing Carolina) immediately after the opening tap.

CBDUKE
10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Did you notice that the UK fans expected Kyrie to lose a whole lot of Twitter followers because he did not choose UK? Well I just checked and of his 3229 followers before his announcement he has lost less than 200. Seem like UK doesn't have as big a fan base as they think.

BlueDevilBaby
10-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I try to root for UNC only if it in any way benefits Duke and maybe if they are playing UConn. But I typically can't last. If I can't stand either team, I don't watch.

soccerstud2210
10-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I try to root for UNC only if it in any way benefits Duke and maybe if they are playing UConn. But I typically can't last. If I can't stand either team, I don't watch.

i agree. i always want the ACC to do well in non-conference games and in the tourney, but still, like last year in the championship game, i lasted a couple seconds then immediately felt guilty and remembered how much i despised hansblahblah and the baby blues

BD80
10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
What is amusing to me is how the (singing the) Blue(s) Nation just assumes that any kid going to UK's Midnight Madness would not be able to imagine going to any other school.

To me, it would feel a bit like being an organgrinder's monkey. Calipari sure played the part of the organgrinder.

As for the "bonding" experience of the official visit, how many Ky players plan on being around next year? Moreover, the "hold-overs" from last year are bound to carry some resentment and suspicion of the new regime and players.
Great environment.

As for the getting a feel for what playing at UK will be like, what Ky player has ever played for Calipari?

Now that the fat lady is singing "My Kenucky is (Not) Home" it really shouldn't surprise us that Kyrie wasn't blown away by UK.