PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke Kyrie Irving!

Pages : [1] 2

BlueintheFace
10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
My other thread is running long and.... ITS TIME FOR CELEBRATION!!!!

Welcome to the family Kyrie.

moonpie23
10-22-2009, 05:42 PM
YES!!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
We got our PG!!!!!!! Woooooo Hoooooo!!!

We love you Kyyyrrriiiiieeee!!!!!

BulldogDancer81
10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Woo-hoo!!!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
10-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Paging Harrison Barnes, paging Harrison Barnes.

Come in Harrison Barnes.

Got_Duke
10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
he's the next great NJ Duke PG!

BD80
10-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Kyrie definitely committed to Duke!

bulldog44
10-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Excellent. Now to focus our attention on HB.

shoutingncu
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Congratulations to the University of New Jersey at Durham ;).

More suspenseful downplaying when asked about HB:

(paraphrasing) "It's not about Duke. He's his own man."

Anyway, good get.

And now I'm off to the Angels game. Man, I hate the Yankees... they're the Duke of the MLB.

obsesseddukefan
10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Let be one of the hundreds to welcome you to our familia!
VIVA DUKE!!!!

:D

RainingThrees
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I guess this can end the rediculous speculation that has been going on. I can't even imagine how long the thread on Harrison Barnes will be. Welcome to Duke Kyrie Irving, keep up the New Jersey Point guard tradition!

slower
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Congratulations to the University of New Jersey at Durham ;).

More suspenseful downplaying when asked about HB:

(paraphrasing) "It's not about Duke. He's his own man."

Anyway, good get.

And now I'm off to the Angels game. Man, I hate the Yankees... they're the Duke of the MLB.

Holes just can't help themselves. :)

No joy in Mudville, huh?

watzone
10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Full scouting report and story on Kyrie - http://bluedevilnation.net/

OZZIE4DUKE
10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome to Duke Kyrie! :D:cool:

And great answer about the Harrison Barnes question you were asked. Now, go talk to him in private ;)

Classof06
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Welcome to family, Kyrie. And thank you for making my weekend haha...

Let the resurrection begin...

Mr. Barnes and Mssrs. Smith, I hope you're paying attention...

juise
10-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Excellent. Now to focus our attention on HB.

I don't know about that. I think rejoicing about (and with) Kyrie for a few more days is appropriate. It's not like Harrison has stated a timeline for his commitment. There are very few of us that have an opportunity to impact his visit this weekend. Let's have some fun around here everyone once in a while. :)

In other news, Kyrie is losing Twitter followers left and right. It almost makes me want to chant "Drive Home Safely!" *CLAP, CLAP... CLAP, CLAP, CLAP*

dukelifer
10-22-2009, 06:05 PM

Comparing Duke to the most successful professional sports team in history- nice praise from tar heel.;)

BTW- Steinbrenner's daughter, Jenny Steinbrenner Swindal, graduated from UNC in 1981. So you have to wonder a little bit about the man's judgment on certain matters. UNC used to play the Yankees back in the day in an exhibition.

Oriole Way
10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome to Duke, Kyrie.

Awesome day for the program. Most important commitment in a long while.

Hopefully we can keep it going with Barnes this weekend.

lpd1982
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Watching the Irving family leaving the Duke bookstore with "gear for the year" shows that they are as excited about coming as we are about having them. Wear the colors well! Welcome to ALL the Irvings!

grossbus
10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome indeed!

miramar
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
"Coach K just can't recruit the way he used to"

ChicagoCrazy84
10-22-2009, 06:11 PM
By far our most important commitment in a while. Welcome to Durham Kyrie and family! Hopefully you'll experience the greatness for longer than a year. :D

Next up HB, then Austin Rivers. It's a great day to be a Dukie!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Welcome to Duke, Kyrie. We're so proud to have a young man of your character and abilities and we can't wait to start cheering for you as you write your legacy across Cameron and around the world.

bulldog44
10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't know about that. I think rejoicing about (and with) Kyrie for a few more days is appropriate. It's not like Harrison has stated a timeline for his commitment. There are very few of us that have an opportunity to impact his visit this weekend. Let's have some fun around here everyone once in a while. :)

In other news, Kyrie is losing Twitter followers left and right. It almost makes me want to chant "Drive Home Safely!" *CLAP, CLAP... CLAP, CLAP, CLAP*

Oh by all means. I am very happy as well. From what I can gather Kyrie seems like an excellent fit for us and not only possesses a great athletic talent but emulates the "typical" Duke kid, intellect, class, etc..... Ok enough celebration, go for HB. LOL ;)

dukeman28428
10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Kyrie: I have been calling people all day asking them to watch ESPNU at 5:30PM when you would announce. I cannot state the excitement that I feel for the Duke program. It was great to see you put on the Duke hat. You have chosen wisely. THANK YOU and we cannot wait to see you in Cameron

PearlJimKusz
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the family! I love the excitement that is building up more and more every day between the upcoming season and the recruits for next year. (Plus Curry)

Duvall
BTW- Steinbrenner's daughter, Jenny Steinbrenner Swindal, graduated from UNC in 1981. So you have to wonder a little bit about the man's judgment on certain matters. UNC used to play the Yankees back in the day in an exhibition.

Not just that (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/042506aab.html).

Greg_Newton
Lol was anyone else watching the online stream? Pretty sure the guy streaming was a UK fan, judging from the "SON OF A *****" immediately following Kyrie's announcement.

Welcome to Duke. It sure feels good to get an actual commitment!

Indoor66
Is there a youtube link or link to ESPN where one might watch a replay of the announcement?

eightyearoldsdude
Congrats to Duke, KI is a good get.

bigj4194
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Lol was anyone else watching the online stream? Pretty sure the guy streaming was a UK fan, judging from the "SON OF A *****" immediately following Kyrie's announcement.

Welcome to Duke. It sure feels good to get an actual commitment!

I laughed out loud at work when he said that.

Welcome to the family Kyrie

jimbonelson
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
welcome

-bdbd
10-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Welcome Kyrie! And welcome to mom and dad Irving!! (and the rest of the family) Welcome to the Duke family!

Obviously everyone is thrilled to see your talent coming to Royal Blue heaven, but it is really a blessing to have it coming in the person of such a bright, mature, well-grounded young man. Looking forward to great times together. You made a good choice.

(Now let's go get Harrison and call it a championship...)

-BDBD :D

bulldog44
10-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Is there a youtube link or link to ESPN where one might watch a replay of the announcement?

I have been searching but no such luck. Even went to the ESPNU website. :(

Jim3k
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I have been searching but no such luck. Even went to the ESPNU website. :(

YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVpmz1HDLpg)

Franzez
10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Congrats.

What number shall he wear?

Edouble
10-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the link. This is a big deal. I am very excited about our team this year and next!!! :p

Indoor66
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks, Jim.

rhcpflea99
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):d

airowe
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

The reason for the grin in my signature!!!!

FreezingDevil
10-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Welcome to Duke, Kyrie! We can't wait for that big smile of yours to brighten up Cameron!

Bluedevil114
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Duke blue devil officially now really feels good!!!

Latest tweet from Kyrie Irving.

This is a great day, welcome to Duke........Kyrie!!

BD80
10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Watching the Irving family leaving the Duke bookstore with "gear for the year" shows that they are as excited about coming as we are about having them. Wear the colors well! Welcome to ALL the Irvings!

Were they on campus today? That would suggest he will be there to greet Harrison!

And a little pick-up?

I like the thought of Kyrie being the face of the program for a while.

DukeSean
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Awesome! I know some of y'all went insane with the recruitment (and to some extent I did as well) but looks like KI really enjoyed playing it all out. Can't say I would've done it any differently

Theory: KI verbally committed off the record to Coach K during the official visit, but wanted to take the A&M and UK officials out of respect (A&M for being the first to recruit KI, and UK because of his godfather). Then wanted to make the official announcement right before HB's visit for additional recruiting firepower during the visit. Thoughts?

loran16
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Awesome! I know some of y'all went insane with the recruitment (and to some extent I did as well) but looks like KI really enjoyed playing it all out. Can't say I would've done it any differently

Theory: KI verbally committed off the record to Coach K during the official visit, but wanted to take the A&M and UK officials out of respect (A&M for being the first to recruit KI, and UK because of his godfather). Then wanted to make the official announcement right before HB's visit for additional recruiting firepower during the visit. Thoughts?

I like your theory, but i could also see him wanting to go to those visits for fun....i mean, if i was him i'd have taken my visit to GT and enjoyed myself before committing. Glad he didn't, but if he could afford the cost it probably would've been enjoyable. (No real point in taking the visit to Seton Hall)

GTHroy!
10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Kyrie for 3.........

mph
10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Were they on campus today? That would suggest he will be there to greet Harrison!

And a little pick-up?

Kyrie announced from the ESPNZone in NYC.

JaMarcus Russell
10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Kyrie announced his decision from the ESPN Sportzone in Times Square. I am guessing he drove up from Northern New Jersey with his family after school, so the other poster probably saw his family on his official visit last month.

Newton_14
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
The tide is turning! Ol MO is started to swing the way of the Blue Devils! This is a great day!!!

We should all celebrate. Not everyday you sign a top 5 recruit, especially at the PG spot.

As a side note, I will tell on myself. I was at work and DBR literally locked up at 5:30. Could not get in. Called home and had my son put the tv on ESPNU and the phone on speaker sitting by the tv. Listened to the whole thing live! Let out a woohooo and those still in the office thought I was nuts! (maybe I am!)

Go Kyrie and Go Duke!!!

FireOgilvie
10-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Welcome, Kyrie!

It's great to win a high-profile recruiting battle. It seems like it's been awhile.

RelativeWays
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Lord have mercy, we've got us a real PG. Welcome to Duke Kyrie!!!!!

dukestheheat
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
^^^^

Welcome to Duke Kyrie, and whatever you do, DRILL the Tarholes for us.

dth.

moonpie23
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Welcome Kyrie......you were well-spoken today and we're proud of your decision to come to DUke...

Kedsy
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Hallefrigginlujah.

Newton_14
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
The tide is turning! Ol MO is started to swing the way of the Blue Devils! This is a great day!!!

We should all celebrate. Not everyday you sign a top 5 recruit, especially at the PG spot.

As a side note, I will tell on myself. I was at work and DBR literally locked up at 5:30. Could not get in. Called home and had my son put the tv on ESPNU and the phone on speaker sitting by the tv. Listened to the whole thing live! Let out a woohooo and those still in the office thought I was nuts! (maybe I am!)

Go Kyrie and Go Duke!!!

BD80
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Love Jason Williams' comment:

Welcome to Duke Kyrie Irving!!! Duke can start running screen and roll again!!
about 2 hours ago from UberTwitter
http://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams

Golly, Kyrie can run a pick and roll; wonder if we will have anyone to run it with?

Kyle, Harrison, MP1, MP2, Ryan?

Same rhetorical question for the pick and pop.

This is indeed a good day.

weezie
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Congrats Mr. Irving, you've made us proud already!

DukeSean
10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I like your theory, but i could also see him wanting to go to those visits for fun....i mean, if i was him i'd have taken my visit to GT and enjoyed myself before committing. Glad he didn't, but if he could afford the cost it probably would've been enjoyable. (No real point in taking the visit to Seton Hall)

No doubt, I'd go and be treated like royalty especially when someone else is footing the bill, but if he wanted to try to get HB on board too, it would be much better committing before the visit than going to GT also and then committing. At that point maybe he weighed 1 weekend of fun vs. the distinct possibility of playing alongside HB for a couple years.

Anyways, I just like speculating as to his rationale and announcement strategy. The off-the-record verbal commit to Coach K during OV would also make sense as to how some of those rumors got started immediately following his visit.

6th Man
10-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I believe Kyrie will go down as my favorite recruit since Johnny Dawkins. Kyrie is exactly what the Dr. ordered for this program. We have needed someone like him for a long time. I am pumped to watch him play. While alot of attention has been on Harrison Barnes, I have been more anxiously awaiting the decision of Kyrie. It is no coincidence that our National Championships have come with Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams. Dynamic point guards are so critical. Our only recent win over UNC came when Lawson sat out. Kyrie will make everyone better. The ability to drive, draw, and dish. Or finish. Or pop the 3. Man, I can't wait.

Welcome Kyrie. Can't wait to watch you play. Hope you have a great senior year of high school!

mpj96
10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Welcome aboard Kyrie!!!

lpd1982
10-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by lpd1982

And a little pick-up?

[QUOTE]Kyrie announced his decision from the ESPN Sportzone in Times Square. I am guessing he drove up from Northern New Jersey with his family after school, so the other poster probably saw his family on his official visit last month.

The bootie was encouraging, but as per DBRs rules and regs, kept this one under my hat...a Duke hat, of course!

NYDukie
10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Awesome get by the Dukies! I get the feeling that the next wave of Duke dominance is about to kick ala 98 through 2002 with KI on board with HB hopefully on the way. I think this years team has great potential but feel ultimately that this year's progress is the stepping board to greatness next year. Not to say this year's group can't make a FF or win a NC but looking at the long range outlook right now.

feldspar
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
By the time he announced, everyone who cared already knew that Kyrie Irving was headed to Duke, which is probably too bad. News is news, and there’s definitely a market for this kind of news, but it is too bad that he didn’t get the chance to have his moment.

I don't get this. How is this anyone else's fault but his and/or his family? Ultimately, if you want to have the monopoly on the information, don't share it with anybody.

rotogod00
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I believe Kyrie will go down as my favorite recruit since Johnny Dawkins. Kyrie is exactly what the Dr. ordered for this program. We have needed someone like him for a long time. I am pumped to watch him play. While alot of attention has been on Harrison Barnes, I have been more anxiously awaiting the decision of Kyrie. It is no coincidence that our National Championships have come with Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams. Dynamic point guards are so critical. Our only recent win over UNC came when Lawson sat out. Kyrie will make everyone better. The ability to drive, draw, and dish. Or finish. Or pop the 3. Man, I can't wait.

Welcome Kyrie. Can't wait to watch you play. Hope you have a great senior year of high school!

agree with you 100%. imo, irving was a more important get than barnes. that said, would love me some harrison too.

rotogod00
10-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Awesome get by the Dukies! I get the feeling that the next wave of Duke dominance is about to kick ala 98 through 2002 with KI on board with HB hopefully on the way. I think this years team has great potential but feel ultimately that this year's progress is the stepping board to greatness next year. Not to say this year's group can't make a FF or win a NC but looking at the long range outlook right now.

absolutely! this year, we'll compete. next year and beyond, look out.

Battierfan01
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
WOW!!! I can't get the smile off my face.

devildeac
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM

I also think/believe that a good (best?) friend of his Dad's is one of the assistant coaches (head coach?) at A&M.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Kyrie, welcome to the family!

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW!!! I can't get the smile off my face.

I agree i definatly see this as a new beginning.

Edouble
10-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Did anyone else notice anything noteworthy about the court that KI is playing on in the picture in the article linked to the DBR front page?

http://www.accsports.com/articles/200909276041/duke-lands-top-2010-pg-kyrie-irving.php

Hopefully this is a little foreshadowing that he tears it up over there on a regular basis.

guybrush
10-23-2009, 12:41 AM
a wonderful way to get up early here in Italy: welcome Kyrie!

stickdog
10-23-2009, 05:35 AM
watch this (http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/10/st_patricks_basketball_star_ky.html)

Indoor66
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
watch this (http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/10/st_patricks_basketball_star_ky.html)

How refreshing, father and son wearing neckties.

flyingdutchdevil
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
How refreshing, father and son wearing neckties.

He's prepping for the NBA draft in 2012/3 ;)

RepoMan
10-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Nice.

This is just really great news on many many levels. Great player, and seems like an otherwise impressive young man. Welcome Kyrie!

whereinthehellami
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Huge get for Duke. I love how he composed himself during the annoucement. At one point you could see him getting nervous and he just re-composed himslef on the spot. While his basketball talent is a huge addition to Duke, his personality is just as important IMO. Coach has really got some talent AND personality on hand (huge recruiting benfit) with Smith, Dawkins, and Irving. Props to Smith who I think played a big part in the visits at Duke. Smith has a large and easy going personality.

phillyheel
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Congrats. He sounds like a very good player and even better young man. I wish him all the luck in the world with just a few bumps in the road a couple of times a year ;)

6th Man
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I really liked how he smiled from ear to ear when he said he was going to be a Blue Devil. I love to see that. It was genuine and you could see his excitement. That's awesome to see especially in this day and age.

NSDukeFan
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Huge get for Duke. I love how he composed himself during the annoucement. At one point you could see him getting nervous and he just re-composed himslef on the spot. While his basketball talent is a huge addition to Duke, his personality is just as important IMO. Coach has really got some talent AND personality on hand (huge recruiting benfit) with Smith, Dawkins, and Irving. Props to Smith who I think played a big part in the visits at Duke. Smith has a large and easy going personality.

I agree that he seems to be a very impressive young man and will be a great representative for Duke basketball, along with Smith, Dawkins, and I would certainly add Kyle and Jon to that list as well, as they also seem to be impressive and have great personalities.

airowe
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Still pumped about this. I'm excited to watch this guy in the driver's seat.

Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Seth, and Tyler will make up a solid backcourt.

If we have Singler and Barnes paired with Kelly on the wings and the Plumlees down low we will be LOADED!

If no Barnes, hopefully we get Roscoe and Singler still stays.

slower
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Coach has really got some talent AND personality on hand (huge recruiting benfit) with Smith, Dawkins, and Irving. Props to Smith who I think played a big part in the visits at Duke. Smith has a large and easy going personality.

This is something that is sort of under the radar - Nolan (and, reputedly, Dre) are the kind of guys that people just want to be around. You can see it in the Blue Planet videos and also in the film "Gunning for That #1 Spot" (which also features Kyle). All things being equal, people would rather go to school with, and play ball with, their friends. Sounds like Kyrie might be the same kind of guy. This can only help in the recruiting wars.

MADukie20
10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome to Duke Kyrie! Great to have you on board! Stay H+H!

whereinthehellami
10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I can't help this pie in the sky moment but just the thought of this possibility makes me get excited:

Irving 6-2 FR
Smith 6-3 SR
Barnes 6-6 FR
Singler 6-8 SR
Ma Plumlee 6-11 SO

Dawkins 6-4 SO
Mi Plumlee 6-10 JR
Curry 6-0 SO
Kely 6-10 SO
Thornton 6-0 FR
Hairston 6-8 FR

That starting 5 and team would be a beauty to watch. It has depth, experience, speed, height.

trinity92
10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Much more important to get Kyrie than Harrison, not that I don't want Harrison at Duke, but Kyrie was critical.

You picked well, young man. I'm sure this will pay off for you.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I can't help this pie in the sky moment but just the thought of this possibility makes me get excited:

Irving 6-2 FR
Smith 6-3 SR
Barnes 6-6 FR
Singler 6-8 SR
Ma Plumlee 6-11 SO

Dawkins 6-4 SO
Mi Plumlee 6-10 JR
Curry 6-0 SO
Kely 6-10 SO
Thornton 6-0 FR
Hairston 6-8 FR

That starting 5 and team would be a beauty to watch. It has depth, experience, speed, height.

Why would you list 11 out of 12 guys and not add on: Czyz 6-7 JR?

Nobody knows whether a full year from now he'll be worthy of minutes or not.

moonpie23
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
nolan is quite a character. It's good to have his wit and talent on the team....:cool:

Devilsfan
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Just one more piece to the puzzle and a NC is within reach. An all everything wing from say Iowa and we're back to certain TOP national stature. Coach k could go back to his 7-8 man rotation at crunch time when he won his 3 championships. He'd have Ryan, Cryz, Harriston, and Thornton for back up if an unfortuate minor injury or the flu bug might hit. Sounds too good to be true. Go Devils.

Kedsy
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Just one more piece to the puzzle and a NC is within reach. An all everything wing from say Iowa and we're back to certain TOP national stature. Coach k could go back to his 7-8 man rotation at crunch time when he won his 3 championships. He'd have Ryan, Cryz, Harriston, and Thornton for back up if an unfortuate minor injury or the flu bug might hit. Sounds too good to be true. Go Devils.

First of all, his name is "Hairston." And his name is "Czyz." Second, with a team that will probably be able to go 12 deep, and certainly will be strong through 10, why would you want to go to a 7 or 8 man rotation? Finally, I can understand people dismissing a JR Czyz and a FR Thornton, although I don't necessarily agree with it. I can almost see thinking a FR Hairston may need more seasoning before getting meaningful minutes. But what's your basis for saying a SO Kelly -- who based on his RSCI ranking is the 14th rated freshman in the country and would have had a year to learn the system and grow into his body -- would not even be in the rotation?

duke09hms
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
So good to have you Kyrie!

Best of luck your senior year! I look forward to watching you next year, and maybe one of your friends too?

Welcome to Duke!!!

oldnavy
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Still pumped about this. I'm excited to watch this guy in the driver's seat.

Kyrie, Nolan, Andre, Seth, and Tyler will make up a solid backcourt.

If we have Singler and Barnes paired with Kelly on the wings and the Plumlees down low we will be LOADED!

If no Barnes, hopefully we get Roscoe and Singler still stays.

Solid back court?? How about a freakin awesome, un-stoppable, maybe best ever back court!!! Only time will tell, but "solid" may be the understatement of the year!! GO DUKE, GTHCGTH!

InSpades
10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Seth Davis also apparently thinks Kyrie owes someone an apology (http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/83181-irving-does-duke-sport-disservice-with-media-game) (Robert Parish being the 1st one I saw say the same thing). Where do these guys get off? Kyrie committed to Duke on thursday. Anyone who reported otherwise was jumping the gun. Kyrie doesn't owe an apology to anyone, certainly not the people who make their living off following his day-to-day happenings. Just because you can make an accurate prediction of what will happen in the future doesn't mean you can say it is fact when it is not.

Tim1515
10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Much more important to get Kyrie than Harrison, not that I don't want Harrison at Duke, but Kyrie was critical.

You picked well, young man. I'm sure this will pay off for you.

Don't get me wrong...i love that Kyrie picked Duke...but i'm still surprised so many feel this way.

Next year we have
Nolan
Curry
Dawkins
Tyler

Nolan will be a senior and has this whole year to get better at the PG spot.

I'm not saying Irving isn't important...but to me Barnes always was #1.

vlove
10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Seth Davis also apparently thinks Kyrie owes someone an apology (http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/83181-irving-does-duke-sport-disservice-with-media-game) ...

HA!!! now that's rich. How about Kyrie apologize to Althea Williams, and we'll call it even all around at the end of the day! :rolleyes:

I'm glad the kid had some fun with his decision, and irrespective of his final choice, as a fan it was alot of fun to go along for the ride!

Taco
10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm glad the kid had some fun with his decision, and irrespective of his final choice, as a fan it was alot of fun to go along for the ride!

Come on now, would you really be saying that if he picked Kentucky? Really? I wouldn't throw a tantrum and talk crap on the kid on twitter but I think if it had gone that way "the ride" would look a lot less fun in retrospect.

In any case, I think the only person owed an apology is Kyrie, from whoever leaked his commit to Zagoria. Zagoria, while it's unfortunate for Kyrie, was just doing his job.

juise
10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Check out the comments on Seth's "story"... DBR poster Stickdog put Seth in his place. Well said, Stickdog.

vlove
10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Come on now, would you really be saying that if he picked Kentucky? Really? ...

Oh without a doubt- as inherently ridiculous as a geezer like me sitting in front of an office computer repeatedly clicking reload trying to get the scoop on the college choice of a 17 year-old- how could that NOT be fun?!? And judging by the connectivity issues on the site yesterday, I wasn't the only one!

Like K is fond of saying, [to paraphrase] the enjoyment is all about the journey. Missing out on the Boyntons & Walls along the way was just a natural part of the journey to getting our PG of the future. You can't get every stud prospect out there, but when you finally get one it makes it seem all worthwhile.

I have zero idea what Harrison's final destination will be, and while I hope he comes to Duke, I'm thoroughly enjoying the suspense & intrigue of his ride as well. But as this is about Kyrie, I hope he enjoys his senior year of HS, & look forward to seeing him take the reins of the offense next year!

Greg_Newton
10-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Come on now, would you really be saying that if he picked Kentucky? Really? I wouldn't throw a tantrum and talk crap on the kid on twitter but I think if it had gone that way "the ride" would look a lot less fun in retrospect.

In any case, I think the only person owed an apology is Kyrie, from whoever leaked his commit to Zagoria. Zagoria, while it's unfortunate for Kyrie, was just doing his job.

To be fair, if Kyrie had picked Kentucky, it would have been a very different situation. Every single inside source had Kyrie going to Duke the entire time, and there was nothing that logically indicated he had even entertained the thought of cutting his recruitment short to go elsewhere. If he had announced for UK or A&M Thursday, IMO it would have been safe to assume that "something was up", and that Kyrie had been misleading the actual programs involved in his recruitment. Of course, this was not the case.

And that Seth Davis article was ridiculous and flawed in so many ways. I had to post a rant of my own on there... I hope he gets a lot of backlash for attacking a kid he doesn't know based entirely on unconfirmed assumptions. I mean... Kyrie should apologize to Zagoria? Reaaaaally?

stickdog
10-23-2009, 06:09 PM

So Zagoria's job was to ruin Irving's day in the sun two days before he was set to announce his decision with a "scoop" everybody who was closely following Irving's recruitment already knew?

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Zagoria didn't get confirmation from any primary sources. Instead, he ran with hearsay leaked by a rival school to hurt Duke and spoil the impending announcement of a Duke recruit. That he turned out to be right (because any person with two brain cells to rub together knew Irving's ultimate commitment to Duke was only a matter of time) does not alter the fact that he could just have as easily been played. Zagoria could have done what 20 other publications already did, namely mention that they had heard that Irving was going to end up at Duke and that he was going to do it soon. Instead, he unethically presented the hearsay rumblings he heard as unalterable, scoop worthy facts -- protecting the identity of the backstabbing leaker while naming the names of the people the leaker was screwing and spoiling a poor kid's impending day in the sun.

Sorry, but that's not his job.

roywhite
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Check out the comments on Seth's "story"... DBR poster Stickdog put Seth in his place. Well said, Stickdog.

There's another excellent response from "Pantone".

I thought Seth just made some snide passing reference. But unbelievably, this supposed dis to the media by Kyrie was the entire subject of Seth's column.

Shame on you, Seth. You are reaching Doyel-depths here.

cato
10-23-2009, 06:19 PM
So Zagoria's job was to ruin Irving's day in the sun two days before he was set to announce his decision with a "scoop" everybody who was closely following Irving's recruitment already knew?

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Zagoria didn't get confirmation from any primary sources. Instead, he ran with hearsay leaked by a rival school to hurt Duke and spoil the impending announcement of a Duke recruit. That he turned out to be right (because any person with two brain cells to rub together knew Irving's ultimate commitment to Duke was only a matter of time) does not alter the fact that he could just have as easily been played. Zagoria could have done what 20 other publications already did, namely mention that they had heard that Irving was going to end up at Duke and that he was going to do it soon. Instead, he unethically presented the hearsay rumblings he heard as unalterable, scoop worthy facts -- protecting the identity of the backstabbing leaker while naming the names of the people the leaker was screwing and spoiling a poor kid's impending day in the sun.

Sorry, but that's not his job.

I know nothing about Zagoria, but it sounds like he hasn't spent enough time as a journalist to sniff out when he was being played by a source. I guess we'll see more and more of this in the future, with bloggers running stuff that wouldn't fool a beat writer.

beltwayBD
10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the 2010-2011 freshman! Good luck in your last year of high school.

airowe
10-23-2009, 11:57 PM
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-9071529423902870376/nj-high-school-basketball-st-patrick-star-kyrie-irving-gives-verbal-commitment-to-duke/

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/10/kyrie-irving-picks-duke/

loran16
10-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Am i the only one here who agrees with Seth Davis here?

Zagoria has been a source of information for recruiting information for all of us in the past. And Davis has right, people like him HAVE added to Kyrie's (and other recruits') hype. They did get good use out of him! And he has the right to get the scoop!

Now do i think he could have done it better? Yeah. I think he could have slightly altered his post so that it would seem like no Duke Assistant was involved in his sources. If he had said, I have heard from assistants at other schools that Kyrie is going to pick Duke that would have been better. And in reality, if these other sources heard from a duke Assistant coach, that assistant coach should be the one responsible for any consequences of that leak, even IF it was made in good faith.

Zagoria was doing his job. Kyrie was going for the publicity and tried to make Zags look silly for a day to have his day in the sun. I think that's probably not fair to Zags....Kyrie did have some control over his decision (he could have not told the Duke staff of his decision too until he told the rest of the world...i fail to see how that would affect things.) and yet he did it in a way that led to it leaking. That's Kyrie's fault, but for a day, he did something that hurt Zags' reputation.

Mind you, i disagree with Seth that Kyrie really did much harm to Zagoria's reputation or credibility. And I think Zags could have phrased his sources better (Just Multiple Sources have told me....). But to say that he did no harm to Zags would be false as he did on twitter DENY all of Zags' points...which WERE true.

airowe
10-24-2009, 12:39 AM

Zagoria has been a source of information for recruiting information for all of us in the past. And Davis has right, people like him HAVE added to Kyrie's (and other recruits') hype. They did get good use out of him! And he has the right to get the scoop!

Now do i think he could have done it better? Yeah. I think he could have slightly altered his post so that it would seem like no Duke Assistant was involved in his sources. If he had said, I have heard from assistants at other schools that Kyrie is going to pick Duke that would have been better. And in reality, if these other sources heard from a duke Assistant coach, that assistant coach should be the one responsible for any consequences of that leak, even IF it was made in good faith.

Zagoria was doing his job. Kyrie was going for the publicity and tried to make Zags look silly for a day to have his day in the sun. I think that's probably not fair to Zags....Kyrie did have some control over his decision (he could have not told the Duke staff of his decision too until he told the rest of the world...i fail to see how that would affect things.) and yet he did it in a way that led to it leaking. That's Kyrie's fault, but for a day, he did something that hurt Zags' reputation.

Mind you, i disagree with Seth that Kyrie really did much harm to Zagoria's reputation or credibility. And I think Zags could have phrased his sources better (Just Multiple Sources have told me....). But to say that he did no harm to Zags would be false as he did on twitter DENY all of Zags' points...which WERE true.

I disagree. Kyrie had every right to keep his public commitment secret for as long as he wanted. He only told the coaches that were recruiting him that he was committing to Duke OUT OF RESPECT for them. This does not make him a bad person, rather quite the opposite.

The fact that he refuted Zags' sources was 1)to preserve the element of surprise 2) to keep his commitment on ESPNU. If he had come out and agreed with the report, ESPNU would not have allowed his commitment to be televised. This is what gets me the most about Seth coming out to attack this KID. His own network sets the rules by which Kyrie has to live by. ESPNU will not televise a public commitment of a recruit if he has already decided. Make sense?

The most important thing here is that Kyrie is a 17 Year Old KID that was making the biggest decisions of his life in front of a nationally televised audience. He doesn't have handlers or public relations people, only him and his family to back him and make the decision on how to handle this unprecedented situation in his life. Adam Zagoria is a for-profit blogger who is only looking to generate web traffic to his site. He should have known better than to blow Kyrie's commitment out to the public like that.

stickdog
10-24-2009, 12:55 AM

Are you kidding? So if I guess you are going to ask your girlfriend to marry you and I publish a nationally linked article stating as much because that's what I heard from her anonymous ex-boyfirend, I am in the right for announcing this to the world two days before your scheduled proposal?

We are talking about an amateur kid getting royally screwed by professional adults just to get a few more internet hits. How can you possibly justify that?

Jim3k
10-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Are you kidding? So if I guess you are going to ask your girlfriend to marry you and I publish a nationally linked article stating as much because that's what I heard from her anonymous ex-boyfirend, I am in the right for announcing this to the world two days before your scheduled proposal?

We are talking about an amateur kid getting royally screwed by professional adults just to get a few more internet hits. How can you possibly justify that?

Agree. Indeed, isn't Collins being stabbed as well? There is no way that Collins leaks this to anyone. Most likely it came from a school that Irving had declined. That arose from Irving's proper etiquette. One of the culprits told Zagoria's source. They are the first to blame. Then Zagoria for not confirming that it was Collins. And Collins gets a hit for this? This is wrong on any number of levels. Journalism, anyone?

Seth was wrong; Zagoria was wrong; Zagoria's source should be exposed and Collins deserves an apology. Kyrie was zapped by a disgruntled staffer at another school. Let's see. That would be Indiana, Kentucky or Texas A&M. C'mon guys, own up to it so Collins knows who his enemies are.

And Seth, get on the right side of this. You're better than that.

loran16
10-24-2009, 01:59 AM

"Royally Screwed" is kind of silly here also, being that Kyrie lost nothing here. I think he had a right to have his fun, but really wouldn't cry if he had admitted that Zags was right a day earlier and canceled the ESPNU thing.

Also the proposal analogy doesn't really work unless you were say a hollywood movie star, and it might be national business. And in that example, yeah it'd be your fault for letting her ex know somehow.

Agree. Indeed, isn't Collins being stabbed as well? There is no way that Collins leaks this to anyone. Most likely it came from a school that Irving had declined. That arose from Irving's proper etiquette. One of the culprits told Zagoria's source. They are the first to blame. Then Zagoria for not confirming that it was Collins. And Collins gets a hit for this? This is wrong on any number of levels. Journalism, anyone?

Seth was wrong; Zagoria was wrong; Zagoria's source should be exposed and Collins deserves an apology. Kyrie was zapped by a disgruntled staffer at another school. Let's see. That would be Indiana, Kentucky or Texas A&M. C'mon guys, own up to it so Collins knows who his enemies are.

And Seth, get on the right side of this. You're better than that.

Uhhh, no. Zags definitely does not need to identify his sources if you want to hear information about recruits (like Irving) in the future. Now THAT is silly.

As for whether Collins would leak this? Who knows? I'd like to think Collins was not so irresponsible as to do so, but I don't know that for sure. Might Collins have told other coaches of Kyrie's decision early? Sure...but if so, it's Collins who should have known better.

Could other coaches have been entirely speculating here and been just blowing hot air? Possibly, but Zags has no way to know that, and if HE was burned by these coaches, then they wouldn't get information from him in the future. So I think he had good reason to trust the accuracy of his information.

So lets review here:
1. Zags had reason to believe his information was accurate that Kyrie had committed to Duke.
2. Zags' business is posting News about basketball recruitment and commitments.

So why shouldn't Zags post the info?

Yes, i get it, you're angry because you believe Zags ruined Kyrie's fun. But its Zags' JOB to post such information. He does his job optimally by posting it whenever he gets it. If he does his job optimally, he is likely to continue to have a financial arrangement with SNY, which will feed him and enable him to keep doing his work. And the cost to Kyrie is fun. Yep, fun. Real equivalence of importance here.

Listen, IF AND ONLY IF there was a chance that reporting this a day early would change Kyrie's mind on where to commit, Zags would have been irresponsible. But from all reports of the situation, Kyrie basically committed 3 weeks ago in private. Nothing Zags could post aside from perhaps Libel would change that. So there was NOTHING improper about Zags' behavior.

So, don't be angry at Zags here. If anyone is at fault, it's Kyrie. I don't particularly think that Kyrie is that much at fault, and I don't think he owes Zags an apology (Zags' credibility right now should be as high as if Kyrie didn't make that tweet, so the point is moot). But to say Zags owes an apology to anyone is just wrong.

EDIT: YOU COULD MAKE the case that you think Zags shouldn't have mentioned the bit about a Duke Assistant Coach. But it gives credence to his sources, and makes his post more than about "anonymous sources," which are the least credible thing in the world. If Zags was told that the original source was an assistant coach, and I BELIEVE HE WAS, then he had little reason to believe otherwise and not use this information to back up his credibility.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless, what I care about is: KYRIE IS COMING TO DUKE. HELL YEAH. Now LETS GO DUKE!

duke09hms
10-24-2009, 03:01 AM
haha wow, looks like someone has a lot of free time on their hands.

Depending on who kyrie told, I don't think it's Kyrie's fault at all. If he only told the coaching staffs at other schools (UK and TAM) just to give them a heads-up, then I think those disappointed coaching staffs are at fault, since he was just doing a classy thing that they should have respected.

If he told anyone else about his decision, then it probably is kyrie's fault since he should know people can't keep secrets. That does seems unlikely considering the lengths he went to to hype up his decision. It seems much more plausible that the schools kyrie turned down might have leaked it.

I don't really think it is zagoria's fault at all since he's paid to write whatever he thinks is true. Sure it would have been "nice" if he waited for kyrie to announce, but being "nice" doesn't pay the bills.

wonder what part coach collins played in this though

yeaaaaa, we got our point guard!!

ice-9
10-24-2009, 06:08 AM
EDIT: YOU COULD MAKE the case that you think Zags shouldn't have mentioned the bit about a Duke Assistant Coach. But it gives credence to his sources, and makes his post more than about "anonymous sources," which are the least credible thing in the world. If Zags was told that the original source was an assistant coach, and I BELIEVE HE WAS, then he had little reason to believe otherwise and not use this information to back up his credibility.

You could? YOU HAVE TO -- it's one of the main points! If Zagoria wants to cite anonymous sources, then keep them anonymous. Citing a source that cites Collins is NOT keeping it anonymous...it's identifying Collins as the leak.

That's not right.

If even true.

NSDukeFan
10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
"Royally Screwed" is kind of silly here also, being that Kyrie lost nothing here. I think he had a right to have his fun, but really wouldn't cry if he had admitted that Zags was right a day earlier and canceled the ESPNU thing.

Unless you are a 17 year old kid who would like to have HIS moment to announce. Do you not think it would have been a complete shame if Kyrie and his parents did not get the chance to go to the ESPNU studio because some jerk felt he was more important than Kyrie and his family?

Also the proposal analogy doesn't really work unless you were say a hollywood movie star, and it might be national business. And in that example, yeah it'd be your fault for letting her ex know somehow.

I congratulate the original poster (Stickdog) of the proposal analogy as I think it works perfectly. You don't have to be a movie star to have that completely ruin your proposal and who says it has to be published nationally?

Uhhh, no. Zags definitely does not need to identify his sources if you want to hear information about recruits (like Irving) in the future. Now THAT is silly.
Unless he is identifying a second or third hand source.

As for whether Collins would leak this? Who knows? I'd like to think Collins was not so irresponsible as to do so, but I don't know that for sure. Might Collins have told other coaches of Kyrie's decision early? Sure...but if so, it's Collins who should have known better.

Could other coaches have been entirely speculating here and been just blowing hot air? Possibly, but Zags has no way to know that, and if HE was burned by these coaches, then they wouldn't get information from him in the future. So I think he had good reason to trust the accuracy of his information.

Sure it is possible Collins told other coaches, but I agree with you I think he probably didn't and by having him named, it sounds more like someone trying to get credibility as a source and perhaps a last ditch effort to smear someone to get the information published, perhaps by a ditched suitor?

So lets review here:

1. Zags had reason to believe his information was accurate that Kyrie had committed to Duke.
2. Zags' business is posting News about basketball recruitment and commitments.

So why shouldn't Zags post the info?

I guess I can only use decency and integrity, which seem to not occur to some journalists who believe they are more important than their story. Odd that so many seem to have known about the commitment, but only one found it important enough to get a few more hits that he had to publish.

Yes, i get it, you're angry because you believe Zags ruined Kyrie's fun. But its Zags' JOB to post such information. He does his job optimally by posting it whenever he gets it. If he does his job optimally, he is likely to continue to have a financial arrangement with SNY, which will feed him and enable him to keep doing his work. And the cost to Kyrie is fun. Yep, fun. Real equivalence of importance here.
See above for discussion of integrity and Kyrie's chance to have his moment announcing.

Listen, IF AND ONLY IF there was a chance that reporting this a day early would change Kyrie's mind on where to commit, Zags would have been irresponsible. But from all reports of the situation, Kyrie basically committed 3 weeks ago in private. Nothing Zags could post aside from perhaps Libel would change that. So there was NOTHING improper about Zags' behavior.

So, don't be angry at Zags here. If anyone is at fault, it's Kyrie. I don't particularly think that Kyrie is that much at fault, and I don't think he owes Zags an apology (Zags' credibility right now should be as high as if Kyrie didn't make that tweet, so the point is moot). But to say Zags owes an apology to anyone is just wrong.

Sorry, I just don't get how Kyrie is at fault for denying that he had publically committed before he publicly committed. I also do not see how publishing the information one day earlier when many people knew this and did not trumps Kyrie's getting to make his announcement on television and speaking for likely the first time in front of a national audience.
I also don't believe that tarnishing a reputable person to try to give yourself validation for publishing a story is difficult to make a case against. You have made my point for me, by indicating how "anonymous sources" are the least credible and tried to become more credible by implicating a trusted assistant coach.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless, what I care about is: KYRIE IS COMING TO DUKE. HELL YEAH. Now LETS GO DUKE!

I do agree wholeheartedly with this last statement.:D

EDIT: I would also agree with previous posters who have commented on the great comments underneath Seth Davis' article. I thought they made the relevant points much better than I could have.

stickdog
10-25-2009, 06:48 AM
So if there is money to made on ruining someone's marriage proposal plans, that changes everything? Then it becomes a perfectly wonderful thing to do because there is money to be made on the deal!

And because Adam Zagoria makes money following recruits around like a puppy dog, he is justified in doing anything he wants to screw them? Because that's how Zagoria makes his money, anything goes? Because the only thing he ruined was a young kid's dreams and Adam Smith knows money trumps dreams every time.

Did I get that straight?

dukebluelemur
10-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Just because it's someone's job, and not legally wrong, doesn't make it any less slimy or repugnant. Those photographers who scurry up trees to snap pictures of celebs through their back windows are also just doing their 'jobs'.

I don't need recruiting news that bad...

yancem
10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Seriously, can you guys take this conversation somewhere else? I'm tired of clicking on this thread thinking that there are new posts with regard to Irving and basketball and playing for Duke only to have to wade through another post bickering about whether Zags should have written his blog or how he should have worded it or maybe Irving should haven't told anyone or ...... At this point we can't change what was said by anyone and Irving has committed to Duke (which is what we wanted isn't it?). Let's concentrate on what happens now, which hopefully is even better Duke basketball and how Irving's decision might impact the decisions of Barnes and Rivers!

jpfrizzle
10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
\m/:)\m/

FireOgilvie
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Kyrie wrote on Twitter that he was named MVP of the Eddie Griffin Challenge, which matches up the best NJ players with the best in Philadelphia. There was a lot of talent that played last year, but I don't know about this year's event. I'm sure there will be media coverage of it soon.

chrisheery
10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Telep was there and he said he is "still processing" how good KI was at that game last night.

Ummmm, awesome. Nice one. That is not a bad thing. It is a good thing. Love to hear it. Can't say more happy things without (I already do) sounding crazy. Can't wait to see this kid play.

http://twitter.com/Davetelep

Greg_Newton
10-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Guess he's done processing: http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/913176.html#

Edit: I think it's a subscription article, so my apologies if it doesn't show up. I broke down and got premium for the month (for my heart's sake!), so I forget to check sometimes.

roywhite
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Ah, my bad. I broke down and got premium until the early signing period (for my heart's sake), so I can't tell anymore.:confused:

As you can probably tell from the title, it's just a glowing article about Kyrie.

Yep; same here...the Irving and HB recruiting sagas were enough to get me to sign up for premium also.

Telep is usually pretty accurate, and pretty restrained. He sounds pretty enthusiastic here...with the term "scintillating" about a recent Irving performance.

airowe
10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Some great write-ups on Kyrie from the Eddie Griffin Challenge where he earned Co-MVP honors:

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/10/25/kyrie-irving-goes-from-unknown-to-future-duke-blue-devil.aspx?ref=rss

http://njhoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1006848

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/10/26/eddie-griffin-challenge-recap/

Kyrie scored 18 points and handed out 11 assists.

AlaskanAssassin
10-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Sorry if this has already been said, but when did Coach K say Irving gets to wear #1?

Did Irving ask to have #1? I mean, how did this come about?

airowe
10-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Sorry if this has already been said, but when did Coach K say Irving gets to wear #1?

Did Irving ask to have #1? I mean, how did this come about?

Where did you hear that Assassin?

superdave
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Why would Kyrie Irving apologize for denying he had commited to Duke on Wednesday when he didnt actually commit until Thursday?

Someone needs to tell Seth Davis to get over himself.

AlaskanAssassin
10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Where did you hear that Assassin?

I've read it in some article last week, and I didn't really believe it until I saw it again in this one: http://www.crazie-talk.com/2009/10/28/kyrie-irving-effect/

The best validation of Kyrie’s potential to lead this team is Coach K’s decision to let him wear #1 at Duke, something that apparently has never happened in Coach’s tenure.

airowe
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not saying it is or isn't going to happen, I was just wondering where you heard it. It IS unprecedented. In the past, K has stated that no player is bigger than the team and no one should be "#1" kyrie's number growing up was 11, but that obviously isn't an option at Duke so if it is true, they've come to a compromise.

Scorp4me
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Someone needs to tell Seth Davis to get over himself.

Seth has no credibility until he eats the crow he promised with regards to Jason Williams.

moonpie23
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Seth has no credibility until he eats the crow he promised with regards to Jason Williams.

huh? obviously my sports world doesn't hang on Seth's words and gestures.... enlightenment please...

mph
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM
huh? obviously my sports world doesn't hang on Seth's words and gestures.... enlightenment please...

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/seth_davis/news/2001/04/13/hoop_thoughts/)

A source close to Williams told me that the sophomore point guard has already informed close friends that he has decided to turn pro, and all that is left is for Williams to work up the moxie to let Coach K know. I suppose it's possible he will decide to return, but don't count on it. In fact, if the May 13 deadline passes and Williams still has not entered the draft, I will personally drive out to Plainfield, N.J.,and treat the Devil Momma herself, Althea Williams, who is surely first-team All-Mom, to lunch. And, yes, I will ask the waiter for one order of crow.

This was after Devil Momma declared on this board (old board) that J Will was coming back.

Smitty1911
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying it is or isn't going to happen, I was just wondering where you heard it. It IS unprecedented. In the past, K has stated that no player is bigger than the team and no one should be "#1" kyrie's number growing up was 11, but that obviously isn't an option at Duke so if it is true, they've come to a compromise.

I find it a little odd that such a connotation would be put on jersey #1. I can't really see a Duke player saying, "Well, I'm #1, so clearly I'm more important than the team." Guess it's just a K quirk (assuming it's true). Anyway, here's to #1 making it to the rafters!

JaMarcus Russell
10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
There are a bunch of these quirks that the media likes to write about such as how Coach K doesn't allow tattoos and facial hair, yet there have always been a few players with tattoos and you have Zoubek doing his best Pittsnoggle imitation recently :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Number 1" thing is another myth. I can't imagine that any number would really impact a player's attitude.

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
There are a bunch of these quirks that the media likes to write about such as how Coach K doesn't allow tattoos and facial hair, yet there have always been a few players with tattoos and you have Zoubek doing his best Pittsnoggle imitation recently :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Number 1" thing is another myth. I can't imagine that any number would really impact a player's attitude.

Gilbert Arenas and 0, perhaps? But I agree with you - either Coach K is changing or a lot of those thoughts are myths.

AlaskanAssassin
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, during one of Nolan's ustream events, he mentioned that he is wearing #2 simply because #1 wasn't allowed. I wonder how the other players would react to this (those who wanted to wear #1, of course)

SupaDave
10-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Actually, during one of Nolan's ustream events, he mentioned that he is wearing #2 simply because #1 wasn't allowed. I wonder how the other players would react to this (those who wanted to wear #1, of course)

Easy - once you've got a number - you've got it. It's kinda like the NBA where players are willing to PAY for another player's jersey if it's THEIR number.

And for a random comment, the #1 jersey does hold a lot of prestige at certain institutions like say, Michigan, but I don't see why it would be a big deal at Duke. Also, a quick look at who's worn #1 for UNC and you will REALLY see that it's not that big a deal.

Bluedevil114
10-28-2009, 10:31 PM
H&H

Hungry and Humble

I thought it meant Harrison and Hairston...........I guess that is just a hope.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-28-2009, 11:40 PM
H&H

Hungry and Humble

I thought it meant Harrison and Hairston...........I guess that is just a hope.

A Hope we both share my friend.

BD80
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Prep Stars now ranking Kyrie #4 overall prospect of 2010

A) Because he committed to Duke, or

B) Because he has been tearing it up, or

C) Because he pumped up the hype with his Twitter tweats and live video streams?

jesus_hurley
11-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Prep Stars now ranking Kyrie #4 overall prospect of 2010

A) Because he committed to Duke, or

B) Because he has been tearing it up, or

C) Because he pumped up the hype with his Twitter tweats and live video streams?

B. No question about it. On top of a great summer he just won MVP of the Eddie griffin challenge

Blueequalslife23
11-05-2009, 03:31 PM
watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdeHogmlbic I really am impressed with Kyrie's body control. When he leaves the ground he has an amazing way to alter his body to make the finish. Also, do we know anything about his defense?

roywhite
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdeHogmlbic I really am impressed with Kyrie's body control. When he leaves the ground he has an amazing way to alter his body to make the finish. Also, do we know anything about his defense?

Defense?....willing to learn.

CEF1959
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
There are a bunch of these quirks that the media likes to write about such as how Coach K doesn't allow tattoos and facial hair, yet there have always been a few players with tattoos ***.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the tat guy I remember best was Greg Newton. One of the assistant coaches said once that everytime Greg was upset they knew he'd come back with a new tattoo.

Here's my favorite post-Duke quote from Greg: "I met many interesting people throughout my career at Duke (Rick Flair, Kevin Costner, Bill Cosby, Bill Clinton, Don King) ***."

I always kind of liked him. He was a out there marching to his own drummer, which I admired.

Greg_Newton
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but the tat guy I remember best was Greg Newton. One of the assistant coaches said once that everytime Greg was upset they knew he'd come back with a new tattoo.

Here's my favorite post-Duke quote from Greg: "I met many interesting people throughout my career at Duke (Rick Flair, Kevin Costner, Bill Cosby, Bill Clinton, Don King) ***."

I always kind of liked him. He was a out there marching to his own drummer, which I admired.

Amen brother!:rolleyes:

Kewlswim
11-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi,

In the not so distant past it seemed that every Duke men's basketball recruit came in the summer to get accustomed to school and get some units under his belt. Is that still true or has Duke done away with that practice? Just because it seems like I haven't been hearing about it does not mean it isn't still happening. Furthermore, I think it is a great idea and all sports at Duke should seriously take a look at doing it (if the kid does not want to for some good reason, such as a family obligation I don't think it shouldn't be mandatory.)

Welcome to Duke, Kyrie Irving!

GO DUKE!

jesus_hurley
11-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi,

In the not so distant past it seemed that every Duke men's basketball recruit came in the summer to get accustomed to school and get some units under his belt. Is that still true or has Duke done away with that practice? Just because it seems like I haven't been hearing about it does not mean it isn't still happening. Furthermore, I think it is a great idea and all sports at Duke should seriously take a look at doing it (if the kid does not want to for some good reason, such as a family obligation I don't think it shouldn't be mandatory.)

GO DUKE!

This is true. They also get a head start on conditioning and can play pick up with the team - and in the NC pro-am. Kelly and Mason Plumlee were on campus this summer. Dawkins obviously could not join them until he finished his class and became eligible.

RainingThrees
11-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Irving earned MVP honors and ESPN had a paragraph on him in this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4637344

How good is this guy gonna be? I can't really say how good is this kid gonna be as he is the same age as me. Man that feels weird.

SilkyJ
11-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

As someone else said, Yes, this does go on. Funny that you haven't heard about it b/c I feel like I've heard about it more in recent years. In fact there was a recent article about it on goduke talking about Mason and Kelly had gotten there early, but Dawkins didn't get a chance b/c he was finishing up his summer school.

Found the recent article:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204809604

BD80
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Irving earned MVP honors and ESPN had a paragraph on him in this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4637344

How good is this guy gonna be? I can't really say how good is this kid gonna be as he is the same age as me. Man that feels weird.

... ability to knock down contested shots given the smallest opening ... a very efficient stroke with no wasted motion ... capable of pulling up off the dribble at virtually any time ... underrated explosiveness, finishing a number of plays acrobatically above the rim ... consistently creating with his dribble ... quick first step ... passed the ball tremendously well...

Irving, Barnes, Curry, Hairston and Thorton. Tough not to smile.

I swear, after 5:00 on Friday, I'm going to concentrate on this year's team :D

flyingdutchdevil
11-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Irving, Barnes, Curry, Hairston and Thorton. Tough not to smile.

I swear, after 5:00 on Friday, I'm going to concentrate on this year's team :D

So true, so true. I love recruiting, but this has been a hell of a recruiting season. Kinda burned out. Ready for the action to really start!

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

oldnavy
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
So true, so true. I love recruiting, but this has been a hell of a recruiting season. Kinda burned out. Ready for the action to really start!

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Getting KI was a MUST! IF we get HB, then Hallelujah, it will be a GREAT THING, BUT if we miss on him we will still have a FF team IMO. Getting a dynamite PG makes everything so much better!

HB visited Duke 4 times or so on his own correct? Does anyone know if he visited any other school (excluding ISU) on his own? That has to be a good thing, doesn't it?

airowe
11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
He visited Stanford unofficially (met Condy Rice) and I know he visited UNC and KU unofficially.

Funny thing is, after he visited UNC, he dropped by Duke to hang out with the staff. He hasn't visited anywhere as many times as he's been to Duke, except Iowa State of course.

Battierfan01
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

I am so glad all of this will be over before our first game on Friday. Its been a lot of fun, but Im ready to see this years team. Their going to be FUN to watch!!

HCheek37
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
kyrie had a long and interesting ustream Q&A last night with a bunch of interesting moments. Not sure if it is taped and saved on ustream but he talked about when he knew he was going to duke, what he thinks about the current team, who he is excited to play with, etc.

He also stated he knows nothing about Barnes/Rivers. Also talked about coming to see Duke play at MSG hopefully in a couple weeks and possibly coming down to Duke at some point during this season. Also went on to talk about his high school season ahead and the high school play he was in recently.

Seems exactly like what everyone has said about Kyrie is true: Hes a level - headed well spoken kid who is a very welcomed addition to the Blue Devil program.

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
kyrie had a long and interesting ustream Q&A last night with a bunch of interesting moments. Not sure if it is taped and saved on ustream but he talked about when he knew he was going to duke, what he thinks about the current team, who he is excited to play with, etc.

He also stated he knows nothing about Barnes/Rivers. Also talked about coming to see Duke play at MSG hopefully in a couple weeks and possibly coming down to Duke at some point during this season. Also went on to talk about his high school season ahead and the high school play he was in recently.

Seems exactly like what everyone has said about Kyrie is true: Hes a level - headed well spoken kid who is a very welcomed addition to the Blue Devil program.

Wow that sucks i can't believe i missed it.

At what point exactly did he say he knew he was coming to duke?

CEF1959
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Also talked about coming to see Duke play at MSG hopefully in a couple weeks and possibly coming down to Duke at some point during this season.

I love these games in MSG for exactly this reason. It's recruiting gold. Even if guys don't attend, they hear about it. And what kid doesn't want to play in MSG on national TV?

juise
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I could not find any mention of when Kyrie would be signing his letter of intent. Has anyone seen this published anywhere?

airowe
11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
It will be in Durham within the next couple of days.

I'm surprised he's not publicizing it though based on how he's handled everything up until now.

BlueintheFace
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/11/duke_basketball_recruit_kyrie.html

Kyrie was star of his school play. That's actually very neat, but sometimes I can't help but hate this age of technology...

bigj4194
11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/2009/11/duke_basketball_recruit_kyrie.html

Kyrie was star of his school play. That's actually very neat, but sometimes I can't help but hate this age of technology...

love it!!!!

SilkyJ
11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I love these games in MSG for exactly this reason. It's recruiting gold. Even if guys don't attend, they hear about it. And what kid doesn't want to play in MSG on national TV?

I love it b/c its the one game I can go to every year (when I fly back east for Christmas) and its one giant Duke reunion in NYC. 1 month (and change) to go!

JaMarcus Russell
11-11-2009, 09:47 PM
It will be in Durham within the next couple of days.

Airowe, thanks for mentioning this. Where did you hear about this? Was it from an interview that Kyrie did recently, and if so, did he mention anything about the other committed players coming to Durham?

Blue, that's a pretty interesting link. Botn on and off the court, Kyrie seems quite a bit like J-Will. 6'2" point guard from a Catholic school in NJ, top 10 recruit with an outgoing personality, and a good student (both had 3.5 + GPAs).

airowe
11-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Airowe, thanks for mentioning this. Where did you hear about this? Was it from an interview that Kyrie did recently, and if so, did he mention anything about the other committed players coming to Durham?

He's not coming to Durham to sign it but the papers will be in Durham. Sorry for the confusion...

AlaskanAssassin
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
according to zags, he has already signed

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Yea, but does anyone know about TT and JH?

juise
11-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Link? I still don't see it reported anywhere.

FireOgilvie
11-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Link? I still don't see it reported anywhere.

He said zagsblog...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/11/pinkston-lamb-may-sign-late-complete-new-york-area-signing-day-roundup/

"**St. Patrick senior guard Kyrie Irving signed Wednesday with Duke and his teammate, Derrick Gordon, chose Western Kentucky."

juise
11-11-2009, 11:42 PM
He said zagsblog...

Thanks.

Actually, he said "zags," who writes for other publications beside his blog. The story wasn't in the first three posts (of zagsblog) and it didn't come up on any Google searches I made. I surprised that none of the local (NC or NJ) outlets covered it.

I'm glad to hear that it's official! Please accept my official welcome, Kyrie!

El_Diablo
11-15-2009, 11:45 PM
NOW it's official. :)

http://twitter.com/kyrieirving

Signed my letter of intent it's all over...I'm officially a blue devil lol H&H
about 3 hours ago from mobile web

RoyalBlue08
11-15-2009, 11:56 PM
I know I'm going to feel dumb when I get the answer, but what is H&H that he ends his tweets with?

Welcome2DaSlopes
11-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I know I'm going to feel dumb when I get the answer, but what is H&H that he ends his tweets with?

It's okay, H&H stand for Hungry and Humble.

Kedsy
11-16-2009, 12:40 AM
NOW it's official. :)

http://twitter.com/kyrieirving

about 3 hours ago from mobile web

Can I say I just sighed in relief? I'm embarrassed to say I was getting a little nervious.

juise
11-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Uh oh. Zags reported that he signed last week and Kyrie had the nerve to wait until today to actually sign. It looks like Kyrie owes Adam another apology (eh, Seth?). ;)

BlueintheFace
11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
I know people are still down on twitter around here, but you all have to admit that it is a great source of information. It cuts out the middlemen and sometimes gets you the information in the quickest way possible. Quincy Miller sets up his trip to see the Duke game this evening (less than 24 hrs in advance it appears) and now instead of the crazies being caught off guard, the now know.

Kyrie signs his LOI and we don't have to wait for confirmation from trashy blog sites that are wrong half the time.

RoyalBlue08
11-16-2009, 09:00 AM
It's okay, H&H stand for Hungry and Humble.

Thanks.

Newton_14
11-16-2009, 09:18 AM
I know people are still down on twitter around here, but you all have to admit that it is a great source of information. It cuts out the middlemen and sometimes gets you the information in the quickest way possible. Quincy Miller sets up his trip to see the Duke game this evening (less than 24 hrs in advance it appears) and now instead of the crazies being caught off guard, the now know.

Kyrie signs his LOI and we don't have to wait for confirmation from trashy blog sites that are wrong half the time.

That is a good point. It does help in that regard. I have been wondering if Kyrie has "tweeted" any thoughts on his buddy choosing to be his rival rather than his teammate. I am sure he supports him 100% but I do wonder if Irving is disappointed that he won't get to play with his buddy.

RoyalBlue08
11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
That is a good point. It does help in that regard. I have been wondering if Kyrie has "tweeted" any thoughts on his buddy choosing to be his rival rather than his teammate. I am sure he supports him 100% but I do wonder if Irving is disappointed that he won't get to play with his buddy.

I don't believe he has tweeted any reaction, although I don't know if he is on record with a comment by some other means.

Greg_Newton
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't believe he has tweeted any reaction, although I don't know if he is on record with a comment by some other means.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't he delete a tweet from last Thursday telling everyone to tune in for Barnes' announcement ("it's gonna be a dandy!" or something to that effect)? Seems like his decision may have caught Kyrie off guard just like the rest of us.

jesus_hurley
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4666544

Mr. Irving checks in at #3

Duke was searching for the elite point guard it has lacked in recent years, and the Blue Devils got him. Irving has the ability to score the ball from different spots on the floor and put up big numbers in any contest. Along with that, he has great peripheral vision and can find an open teammate at a moment's notice.

Surprisingly enough, Irving is the only ACC recruit listed.

whereinthehellami
11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Irving seems to be getting alot of positive pub. It sounds like he should be a good fit next year.

Kedsy
11-20-2009, 01:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4666544

Mr. Irving checks in at #3

Surprisingly enough, Irving is the only ACC recruit listed.

Obviously it depends on your definition of "impact," but if you define it as someone who will drastically change the way their team plays, or if you define it as someone whose team's W/L outlook is drastically different with them than without them, then HB won't really have that sort of "impact" in Chapel Hill. But Kyrie almost certainly will for us.

HCheek37
12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
kyrie posted on his twitter this morning:

Messed up my ankle...got worse over night...ugh this is not a good look...always H&H about 3 hours ago from mobile web

Hopefully not too serious or lingering....get better kyrie

BlueintheFace
12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Very cool video of Kyrie and Mike Gilchrist just hanging out.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4724263

airowe
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
And a highlight vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53NJbcqEMY&feature=PlayList&p=12A270AD6F87C38C&index=0&playnext=1

airowe
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
#1:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30676302&id=1341630363

Duke79UNLV77
12-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Link doesn't seem to work.

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Yea, it doesn't work for me either but i'm guessing it's because i don't have a facebook page.

airowe
12-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry about that. I'll try and figure out how to post it when I get in front of a computer.

jesus_hurley
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Try this one:
http://ceo-mentality.com/irving.jpg

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
So is he the first Dukie to ever wear #1?

jesus_hurley
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
What I should have done:

Duke of Nashville
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
where was this taken at? To me it looks like ontop of the Chapel...anyone?

Welcome2DaSlopes
12-11-2009, 04:55 PM
HAHAHAHA that has to be his pops. Looks just like him.

FreezingDevil
12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Nice! Whenever a new kid comes along there's always a point where I stop seeing them as an incoming recruit and start viewing them as a Duke player. This photo just did that for me with Kyrie, so thanks for posting.

roywhite
12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
What I should have done:

"I'm the King of the World!"

juise
12-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I like the number choice... just so that there's never a question who the point guard (1) is.

RainingThrees
12-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Damn that jersey looks good!!! Hopefully we will get to see it for more years than less.

AlaskanAssassin
12-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Very cool video of Kyrie and Mike Gilchrist just hanging out.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4724263

A continuation of what BlueintheFace posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4714077

DevilHorns
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Kyrie impressing at MaxPreps Classic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4781550

BlueintheFace
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Really Cool Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNb_-8z8m0A

RainingThrees
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
haha, check near the end of that last video, it looks like Kyrie faked out a referee to, you see one trip and fall as Kyrie makes a spin move.

rotogod00
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Quickly going thru the threads, didn't see this posted anyplace else (my apologies if it was).

Anyway, ESPN article on Irving, including an interview by JWill:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4861175

Kinda cool that he's going to be wearing #1

MulletMan
01-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Quickly going thru the threads, didn't see this posted anyplace else (my apologies if it was).

Anyway, ESPN article on Irving, including an interview by JWill:

Kinda cool that he's going to be wearing #1

Love the editorial content at ESPN... Jason Williams or Jay Williams there, fellas. Jayson Williams... yeah, he's the guy who shot someone's face off, not a former Duke PG. Well done.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Right now he's projected to go #3 in the 2011 draft. Hopefully he stays two years and wins two chips.

roywhite
01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Right now he's projected to go #3 in the 2011 draft. Hopefully he stays two years and wins two chips.

Hate to hear about a kid leaving before he even gets here.

Draft projections are all over the map...some reliable, some not, but this suggests:

1. The pros like Kyrie's game
2. It would be prudent to locate someone who can run the point after Kyrie, esp. if he's there for 2 years or less
3. Just my guess from seeing interviews and reading about Kyrie ---he values the college experience and his dad and uncle do also, which to my mind makes him more likely to stay 2 or more years, as opposed to one-and-done.

DukeSince'77
01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Tyler Thornton

roywhite
01-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Tyler Thornton

Good point (and I hope he will be a good point guard).

ReformedAggie
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Welcome, Kyrie, to the finest basketball program on the planet.

G man
01-27-2010, 06:51 PM

BlueintheFace
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Just made McD game. Congratulations Kyrie!

airowe
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Just made McD game. Congratulations Kyrie!

Not a shocker, but congrats regardless.

RoyalBlue08
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Kyrie tweeted today that he will be in Cameron for the Carolina game. (Not sure if this is news to everyone, it was news to me.) I hope everyone lucky enough to be at the game will wish him well!

soccerstud2210
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Kyrie tweeted today that he will be in Cameron for the Carolina game. (Not sure if this is news to everyone, it was news to me.) I hope everyone lucky enough to be at the game will wish him well!

apparently we have quite the crew coming to the unsuck game.

loldevilz
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Hate to hear about a kid leaving before he even gets here.

Draft projections are all over the map...some reliable, some not, but this suggests:

1. The pros like Kyrie's game
2. It would be prudent to locate someone who can run the point after Kyrie, esp. if he's there for 2 years or less
3. Just my guess from seeing interviews and reading about Kyrie ---he values the college experience and his dad and uncle do also, which to my mind makes him more likely to stay 2 or more years, as opposed to one-and-done.

I get the sense that he wants to accomplish something at Duke...he would have gone to Kentucky if he wanted to jump straight to the NBA.

roywhite
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
After the disappointment of seeing his high school season end due to an infraction by his coach and an unsuccessful appeal, Kyrie seems ready for some love from the Crazies...from his twitter

"Outta all of this....I still get to see my Dukies play march 6th at Cameron indoor...welcome me crazies please lol"
about 4 hours ago via mobile web

RainingThrees
03-02-2010, 07:12 AM
When Kyrie comes he will see the proper way to dispose of pesky Tar Holes. Hopefully he'll learn the technique and be able to use it for years to come.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Crazies - give Kyrie some love. He definitely needs, and wants, it.

Our current team is awesome, but be lose key personal next year and Kyrie can easily fill that void. Give him some mad love!

DukieBoy
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Kyrie's coming to the Duke-UNC game according to his facebook. Said he's be there March 6th.

Welcome to the rivalry

BoxofMess
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Check out this interview with Duke commit Kyrie Irving (http://boxofmess.com/2010/03/02/kyrie-irving-hungry-humble/). WHAT A GUY!

Dr. Tina
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I've seen two interviews with Kyrie and I have been impressed by his demeanor and maturity in both. I'm excited about watching him play next year. I also happen to think he's adorable... :)

ajgoodfella7
03-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Kyrie's got a new awesome mixtape out. I believe it's all footage from this season. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljQNULPCqU&feature=youtu.be

juise
03-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Kyrie's got a new awesome mixtape out. I believe it's all footage from this season. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljQNULPCqU&feature=youtu.be

Very nice. I think my favorite is the fast break dribble where he makes a lightning quick horizontal move across the defender's face (0:52).

ajgoodfella7
03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Very nice. I think my favorite is the fast break dribble where he makes a lightning quick horizontal move across the defender's face (0:52).

Yeah it seems like the kid can just get to the rim whenever he feels like it. The game I watched when he played Cory Joseph, he was pretty much getting triple teamed and he had like 40 points if I remember correctly.

CPDUKEGUY24
03-19-2010, 01:46 AM

The play immediately following the one you refer to (0:55) is awful dirty as well... The anticipation mounts, cant wait to see how much BETTER he is going to get. The sky is the roof Kyrie, see you soon

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2010, 06:11 AM
From this vid, you can see that his ability to change speeds is absolutely nasty.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what percentage he shoots from 3? I know he's really good, but I would love to know an actual number. Thanks in advance.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
His b-day is tomorrow, he turns 18

TigerEye
03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey everyone, this is Peyton Merriam with Memphis Roar (ESPN affiliate).

We're at the McDonald's AA game this week and will be covering all of the events.

Today we were at the Ronald McDonald House and put together a short video from it here: http://memphisroar.com/2010/03/mcdonalds-all-americans-visit-ronald-mcdonald-house/

Irving reads to a kid, which I thought y'all would enjoy! Best of luck and congrats on the final four this year!

Thanks for letting me share. Take care.

-peyton

whereinthehellami
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Here is an update from Rob Engemann (http://twitter.com/RobEngemann)on Kyrie Irving from the McDonald's All- Star practices.

"especially if Kyrie continues to play like he did this afternoon at McDonald's AA practice. Tremendous skillset and great pace...

Kyrie Irving giving Kendall Marshall the business at McDonald's AA Practice. Doesn't bode well for UNC in the Tobacco Rd Rivalry."

paul plumlee
03-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I really, REALLY like Kyrie Irving. He's so humble and such a good PG. I like his shot and his ball handling skills are impeccable. Welcome to the team Kyrie, I'm sure you'll fit right in. As well as Tyler Thorton and Joshua Hairston.

COYS
03-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I really, REALLY like Kyrie Irving. He's so humble and such a good PG. I like his shot and his ball handling skills are impeccable. Welcome to the team Kyrie, I'm sure you'll fit right in. As well as Tyler Thorton and Joshua Hairston.

And Felix! Don't forget about him. And I know that Seth Curry has already arrived on campus and everything, but he'll also be a HUGE addition to the team. Duke will definitely be reloading, not rebuilding, after a great FF run in 2010 :D

nyr484
03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
And Felix! Don't forget about him. And I know that Seth Curry has already arrived on campus and everything, but he'll also be a HUGE addition to the team. Duke will definitely be reloading, not rebuilding, after a great FF run in 2010 :D

Reloading might be an understatement.

davekay1971
03-29-2010, 10:33 AM
More like arming for destruction.

I'm too busy enjoying this group to think too much about next year, and there is one big "IF" to settle regarding Kyle...but with him we'll be an absolute monster next year. Without him we'll be just really freaking good. Enjoy the next week, then get ready to really enjoy next year.

Oh, and football's going to be fun this fall, too. Good time to be a Devil?

YourLandlord
03-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Good time to be a Devil?
Always a good time to be a Devil.

striker219
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Kyrie Irving giving Kendall Marshall the business at McDonald's AA Practice. Doesn't bode well for UNC in the Tobacco Rd Rivalry."

That is so awesome, I love it.
:D:D:D

Cisco
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
and Nolan Smith can be the best backcourt in the NCAA.

what do you guys think?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 12:02 PM

what do you guys think?

With seth curry and dre all day, i agree

ncexnyc
03-29-2010, 12:46 PM

what do you guys think?

Like I tell those folks over at IC, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Before I start making predictions on what our team is going to look like, I want to know exactly who will be stepping on the court come the first game in November.

TigerEye
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Kyrie was good in practice today... He fits the mold of the Duke system perfectly. K will love coaching him. Very nice offensive touch.

If you didn't see Irving w/ the kids, here is the video: LINK (http://memphisroar.com/2010/03/mcdonalds-all-americans-visit-ronald-mcdonald-house/)

DukieBoy
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
For those that have facebook and have Jay Williams (yes, that Jay Williams) as a friend, you'll see he posted something about Kyrie the other day.

For those who don't, get excited. Jay wrote this as his status today....

For all #Duke fans: the best comparison I can give Kryie Irving is that he is a perfect mix between myself and Chris Duhon

TigerEye
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
While making fun of interviewers on media day. Kyrie is hilarious!

Check out his video here: http://memphisroar.com/2010/03/mcdonalds-media-day-kyrie-irving-cam/

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Everyone one there loved him, it looks like they're all having fun. Doran Lamb couldn't really stop laughing.

DukeSean
03-31-2010, 01:19 AM
HB sounded like a total stiff. Glad we got someone with personality.

Kewlswim
03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi,

I felt sort of bad for the young man going to Baylor. I hope that Kyrie didn't hurt his feelings.

GO DUKE!

DukeSean
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi,

I felt sort of bad for the young man going to Baylor. I hope that Kyrie didn't hurt his feelings.

GO DUKE!

pretty sure that's cause they're probably good friends. don't you rib on your friends the hardest?

Starter
03-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Perry Jones is going to be a beast, and it was all in good fun. I was actually waiting for Kyrie to ask Barnes why he signed on for an NIT team rather than a Final Four team, but I guess he has more tact than I have. =)

sivartrenrag
03-31-2010, 01:42 AM
They were all really cool EXCEPT for that one guy he talked to first.

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Kewlswim
03-31-2010, 01:52 AM
pretty sure that's cause they're probably good friends. don't you rib on your friends the hardest?

Hi,

Guess it does work out that way at times. I am not much for ribbing, but when I was playing ball it did seem like we did that to one another a lot.

GO DUKE!

mlove3
03-31-2010, 02:55 AM
haha when kyrie was talking with tobias harris reggie bullock was trying to get on camera but kyrie didn't acknowledge him. i already love this guy!

That_Dude
03-31-2010, 02:59 AM
Kyrie is awesome. haha

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Kyrie is awesome. haha

You might actually say he is THAT DUDE, am I right? haha

That_Dude
03-31-2010, 03:09 AM
^this is true.

TigerEye
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Thought y'all would enjoy that. :)
He's a great kid... If anyone knows how to get that video to him, it would be much appreciated!

-Peyton w/ Memphis Roar

davekay1971
03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
The video of Kyrie crossing over Marshall and making him fall down has hit the Charlotte area hard. There are already ulcers forming in the stomachs of the Ram's Clubbers as they try to figure out how they're going to guard Irving and Smith at the same time. "Strickland can check Smith (not) but that leaves Marshall or Drew on Irving. Maybe we can put Strickland or Irving, but then Smith will tear us up. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

Yeah, and meanwhile Dawkins and Curry are going to take turns putting 3 point daggers in the Holes while Singler teaches Barnes about life in the ACC and the Plumlees use Zeller and Henson as a light warmup before their workout.

Loving it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM
I must be blind - where is this video?