RB Re'quan Boyette (knee) -- OUT
LB Abraham Kromah (leg) -- OUT
WR Tyree Watkins (leg) -- OUT

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
RB Re'quan Boyette (knee) -- OUT
LB Abraham Kromah (leg) -- OUT
WR Tyree Watkins (leg) -- OUT
That's the best report we've seen in a while. As much as I hate to see Boyette hurt, I don't mind not seeing him on the field. He has been glaringly ineffective this season running the ball, his successes have come from receptions. Looking forward to seeing lots of D. Scott on Saturday.

rtnorthrup
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually, coming off the bye week, im a little surprised and disappointed in the injury report. I was really hoping that Kromah would be back. He has been a pleasant surprise for us this year. We are very thin on defense and his absence really hurts. Also thought that Boyette might be able to go.

Wander
10-22-2009, 11:41 AM
No kidding. One can only wonder about if Scott could have played a full game against Va Tech...

On a somewhat off topic note, we look pretty good at our offensive skill positions for the next few years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
It's always a disappointment when players are out because of injuries.

I'd like to think that the much improved conditioning and better game preparation have helped reduce the number and severity of injuries for the Duke players.

Olympic Fan
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Hate to see Boyette injured, but I think this is less of a blow than Kromah's absence. It's more than offset by the return of Jay Hollingsworth, who's been hobbled all year so far. Coach Cut said earlier this week that he's running like his old self. Along with a healthy Scott, I feel good about the TB position, even without Boyette.

On the other hand, LB is probably our thinnest position. Kromah is clearly our second-best LB (after Rey). Against State, we were able to cover up his absence by using a 4-2-5 alignment most of the way against a team that was going to pass.

Maryland is going to try and use its size and strength to line up and run it down our throats -- that's where we'll need Kromah.

As for Watkins ... we're plenty deep at WR. Unless we get some more injuries at that position, I'd just as soon hold him out the rest of the way and petition for a medical hardship ruling that would let him play as a freshman next season.

loran16
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT.....Randez James isn't on the injury report? He was suspended preseason, but was listed as OUT in every injury report this season i thought.

Is he available to play? That'd be a huge boost to our Defense (Move over Leon Wright).

RelativeWays
10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT.....Randez James isn't on the injury report? He was suspended preseason, but was listed as OUT in every injury report this season i thought.

Is he available to play? That'd be a huge boost to our Defense (Move over Leon Wright).

I noticed that too, I hope he's playing. UMD's best player is that wide receiver who leads the ACC in all purpose yards. If we can neutralize him, we should win.

rtnorthrup
10-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Not to offend, but there is NO WAY, Randez will displace Leon Wright at CB. I'm glad Randez is off the injury list, but there are reasons, beyond injuries, that he hasnt seen much playing time. Leon is our best cover corner.

loran16
10-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Not to offend, but there is NO WAY, Randez will displace Leon Wright at CB. I'm glad Randez is off the injury list, but there are reasons, beyond injuries, that he hasnt seen much playing time. Leon is our best cover corner.

The bolded (by myself) part of your quote does not say much in my opinion. Leon is way too often beat by opposing WRs in my opinion (and don't bring up the INTs, the 2 key ones were AGAINST ARMY who hadn't had to seriously throw a pass in an important situation at all prior to that point in the game.). I don't know if Randez is able to replace Leon at this moment, but i hope that he's at least by the end of this year (say...the Wake game) better than Leon.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
The bolded (by myself) part of your quote does not say much in my opinion. Leon is way too often beat by opposing WRs in my opinion (and don't bring up the INTs, the 2 key ones were AGAINST ARMY who hadn't had to seriously throw a pass in an important situation at all prior to that point in the game.). I don't know if Randez is able to replace Leon at this moment, but i hope that he's at least by the end of this year (say...the Wake game) better than Leon.
The following is from Heather Dinich's blog..

Defensive MVP: Leon Wright. He’s No. 12 in the nation in passes defended with 11, and he had two interception returns for touchdowns in a win at Army which came just 16 seconds apart and on back-to-back snaps. He has 30 tackles this season, five pass breakups, one fumble recovery and three interceptions.
#12 is nothing to sneeze at..I think one INT should have been added vs. VT.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-22-2009, 05:23 PM

i too noticed the absence of James on the injury report. He's supposed to be very fast, which we need in the secondary. As far as Leon Wright, he's done a fine job when he wasn't up against someone several inches taller than him, and he is an excellent open field tackler, and has been since his freshman year. We'll need that on Saturday against a running team like Maryland.

loran16
10-22-2009, 05:29 PM
The following is from Heather Dinich's blog..

#12 is nothing to sneeze at..I think one INT should have been added vs. VT.

CB&B, i love Heather's blog, but if you'll look you'll see i commented on that very selection in that post (under garik16). All those stats show is that the WR he's lined up against is being thrown at pretty damn often. And while that's partially because those tend to be the WR1s of the other teams, its' also because Leon isn't quite good enough to cover these guys effectively.

Regardless, you have to agree Randez has a much higher ceiling than Leon.

Olympic Fan
10-22-2009, 06:07 PM
It's great that James is finally off the injury list, but no way in heck that he displaces Leon Wright -- or Lee Butler or Chris Rwabukamba.

Heck, freshman Zack Greene was running ahead of him on the depth chart last spring before James was hurt.

James has got some great physical skills, but he's got a LONG way to go to get into the playing rotation.

loran16
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
It's great that James is finally off the injury list, but no way in heck that he displaces Leon Wright -- or Lee Butler or Chris Rwabukamba.

Heck, freshman Zack Greene was running ahead of him on the depth chart last spring before James was hurt.

James has got some great physical skills, but he's got a LONG way to go to get into the playing rotation.

Sigh, i have a sad feeling you're right, but i disagree with the decision. Kid redshirted last year and should be ready and we could use defensive help. I hope he gets in a few plays instead of at least Butler or Rwabukamba imo (I admit i'm overly optimistic when i hope that he'll replace Leon).

Putting him 4th on the depth chart is a mistake.

Duvall
10-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Putting him 4th on the depth chart is a mistake.

How do you know?

loran16
10-22-2009, 06:31 PM
How do you know?

Omniscience.

Okay, seriously, clearly this is my opinion. But I don't think very highly of those 3 CBs as you could probably tell, and its my opinion that therefore putting him FOURTH would be a mistake.

I was excited to see how he would turn out this season before the injury and suspension got in the way. I'm still excited and this is already a HUUUUUGE game. So I want to see the kid out there and not stuck behind players i don't necessarily have faith in.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Regardless, you have to agree Randez has a much higher ceiling than Leon.
I don't know if that's true..unless he has a great leap. I do know our secondary needs help..but James is only 5' 10". Not much to offer in the height factor.

killerleft
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Omniscience.

Okay, seriously, clearly this is my opinion. But I don't think very highly of those 3 CBs as you could probably tell, and its my opinion that therefore putting him FOURTH would be a mistake.

I was excited to see how he would turn out this season before the injury and suspension got in the way. I'm still excited and this is already a HUUUUUGE game. So I want to see the kid out there and not stuck behind players i don't necessarily have faith in.

A strong pass rush would make our secondary much better. A good pass rush would help a lot. As it is, these guys have their hands full.

Duvall
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Omniscience.

Well, okay. But that's a lot of confidence to show in a player that has yet to play his first college down. Hopefully he can get on the field and earn some playing time the rest of this year.

loran16
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't know if that's true..unless he has a great leap. I do know our secondary needs help..but James is only 5' 10". Not much to offer in the height factor.

He's listed at 5'11" according to goduke :-P

@killerleft, well if you can clone 3 more vince oghobasse's we'll be set on that. No? Darn!
Do remember that VO leaves after this year....and it doesn't look we have anything like a replacement coming. Those corners are going to need to be exceptional next year. Thus getting James some work now would be optimal (even if you do think he's 4th on the depth chart currently)

EDIT: @Duvall, it's not like he hasn't been with the team for a year and a half. If he was coming out of high school (say like Desmond Scott before the season) i'd agree with you. But he Redshirted ALL Last year. And has sat out the first 6 games of this year. It's not like he's inexperienced in anything other than pure-game experience and i don't think he needs that to be accustomed to the pace of college football at THIS point.

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
"But I don't think very highly of those 3 CBs as you could probably tell, and its my opinion that therefore putting him FOURTH would be a mistake. "

Well, either James isn't as good as you think he is or the Duke coaches aren't very good at evaluating their players.

-bdbd
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
At least as important as Duke's injury report is the one coming out of College Park. Be aware that there's been a lot in the DC media about how the injury bug has really been unfair to MD this season. Seems our situation on injuries is a lot better, relatively. Maybe the bye week helped. :D

Should be a really good game. (It'll be nice to show Mr. Barnes a big Duke gridiron win!)

Check out the short excerpt re injurues from the MD website, clipped below.
Also, take a look at the "Game Notes" links from the MD perspective (links below).

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101909aac.html
http://www.umterps.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release

Injuries Taking A Toll...
The Terps have lost a number of key performers to injury so far this season. CB Nolan Carroll (leg) was lost for the season in the second game. Starting left tackle Bruce Campbell has missed three games, punter Travis Baltz has missed the last three contests and tailback Da'Rel Scott is out at least another month with a broken wrist suffered vs. Clemson (10/3). So far this season, the Terps have lost 22 man-games to potential starters (Jamari McCollough - 2; Carroll - 5; Scott - 2; Baltz - 3; Campbell - 3; Tyler Bowen - 5; Tony Logan - 2) and that number will grow with the loss of LB Demetrius Hartsfield (broken hand) for likely the next three games (had surgery Sunday). In addtion, potential key reserves Joe Vellano and Caleb Porzel were on the shelf until recently. Vellano, expected to be a backup at defensive tackle, played for the first time vs. Virginia (10/17) and Porzel was on the field for his first career snaps vs. Wake Forest (10/10).

loran16
10-22-2009, 07:07 PM
"But I don't think very highly of those 3 CBs as you could probably tell, and its my opinion that therefore putting him FOURTH would be a mistake. "

Well, either James isn't as good as you think he is or the Duke coaches aren't very good at evaluating their players.

Or he was put 4th for reasons other than talent (his other issues (the suspension for instance), the injury that was keeping him out, and seniority of Wright and Rwabukamba). I think most posters here would agree that Boyette being ahead of Scott on the Depth chart makes little sense from a talent standpoint.

ANYHOW, To conclude: I think it should be interesting to see if he gets into the game for a few plays and to see how well he does. I hope that he lives up to his projected talent when we recruited him by the end of this year and leaps over at least one or two players on the depth chart.

At least as important as Duke's injury report is the one coming out of College Park. Be aware that there's been a lot in the DC media about how the injury bug has really been unfair to MD this season. Seems our situation on injuries is a lot better, relatively. Maybe the bye week helped. :D

Should be a really good game. (It'll be nice to show Mr. Barnes a big Duke gridiron win!)

Check out the short excerpt re injurues from the MD website, clipped below.
Also, take a look at the "Game Notes" links from the MD perspective (links below).

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101909aac.html
http://www.umterps.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release

Injuries Taking A Toll...
The Terps have lost a number of key performers to injury so far this season. CB Nolan Carroll (leg) was lost for the season in the second game. Starting left tackle Bruce Campbell has missed three games, punter Travis Baltz has missed the last three contests and tailback Da'Rel Scott is out at least another month with a broken wrist suffered vs. Clemson (10/3). So far this season, the Terps have lost 22 man-games to potential starters (Jamari McCollough - 2; Carroll - 5; Scott - 2; Baltz - 3; Campbell - 3; Tyler Bowen - 5; Tony Logan - 2) and that number will grow with the loss of LB Demetrius Hartsfield (broken hand) for likely the next three games (had surgery Sunday). In addtion, potential key reserves Joe Vellano and Caleb Porzel were on the shelf until recently. Vellano, expected to be a backup at defensive tackle, played for the first time vs. Virginia (10/17) and Porzel was on the field for his first career snaps vs. Wake Forest (10/10).

That injury to Da'Rel Scott is a killer....he was their star vs Clemson iirc before the injury. Well, good for us i suppose.

Still, we CANNOT underestimate this Maryland team. We were favored against NC State last year also, and that didn't turn out well.

BIG game and the team HAS to pull through here.

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Boyette is a 5th-year senior, who has performed at a high level in the ACC. He also is an acknowledged team leader and the best blocker among Duke's running backs.

James had a nice reputation in high school. And hasn't played since.

Wander
10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
You do not want to argue with loran16 about Leon Wright. It's like telling Jumbo that Scheyer is unathletic and can't play defense.

Your sig still cracks me up, loran.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
It will be a sad day when he changes it..but not as sad as the day that caused it. :mad:

loran16
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey CB&B, the day that caused it is long past now (well a year past). Lets be cheery and remember the great drinking game that day created!

@Jim, I'm gonna just agree to disagree on Boyette and leave it at that.

RelativeWays
10-22-2009, 08:06 PM
At least you guys got a good buzz from that VT game last year

Duke definetly shouldn't underestimate UMD (or anyone) but this UMD team is not that NCSU team from last year. That team finally started playing up to potential when we got to them and they were just more athletic than Duke was. The Twerps don't have that, Duke is the more talented team here, but we know UMD can win this game if a) Duke doesn't protect the football, b) Duke loses confidence in their ability to execute if something doesn't go their way (see Richmond game after the blocked punt). If Duke executes like they have they win by 10 at least. I honestly feel if both teams played their absolute best on Saturday, Duke wins because they are the better team this year. Personally I want a true killer instint, a smoking hot 1st half to go up big and a controlled simmer to eat up clock in the second. This could be Des Scotts breakout.

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Boyette averaged 4.3 yards on 251 rushes in his first 3 years at Duke. After rehabbing a knee injury, he had a solid spring and a better fall. He began the season as the number one RB because he had EARNED it.

Randez James hasn't earned anything. Maybe he will down the line. I hope he does. When and if he becomes an upgrade over the guys playing ahead of him, then he'll play ahead of them.

As for Desmond Scott. He wasn't playing earlier because he hadn't picked up the blocking schemes. The Duke staff worked with him on that defenciency, he improved markedly, and got increased playing time--when he had earned it and was ready for it.

The same way that Randez James will get increased playing time-when he earns it and is ready for it.

As for VO, he'll be a significant loss, one of few for a relatively young team. But redshirt sophomore Charlie Hatcher is playing at a high level, John Drew is one of the better true freshmen DTs around, and promising Sidney Sarmiento is being redshirted.

DukeSean
10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Boyette averaged 4.3 yards on 251 rushes in his first 3 years at Duke. After rehabbing a knee injury, he had a solid spring and a better fall. He began the season as the number one RB because he had EARNED it.

Randez James hasn't earned anything. Maybe he will down the line. I hope he does. When and if he becomes an upgrade over the guys playing ahead of him, then he'll play ahead of them.

As for Desmond Scott. He wasn't playing earlier because he hadn't picked up the blocking schemes. The Duke staff worked with him on that defenciency, he improved markedly, and got increased playing time--when he had earned it and was ready for it.

The same way that Randez James will get increased playing time-when he earns it and is ready for it.

As for VO, he'll be a significant loss, one of few for a relatively young team. But redshirt sophomore Charlie Hatcher is playing at a high level, John Drew is one of the better true freshmen DTs around, and promising Sidney Sarmiento is being redshirted.

Agreed. Everything has to be earned, regardless of your reputation coming in.

And boy would I love for VO to reach a bowl game...

loran16
10-22-2009, 09:51 PM
At least you guys got a good buzz from that VT game last year

Duke definetly shouldn't underestimate UMD (or anyone) but this UMD team is not that NCSU team from last year. That team finally started playing up to potential when we got to them and they were just more athletic than Duke was. The Twerps don't have that, Duke is the more talented team here, but we know UMD can win this game if a) Duke doesn't protect the football, b) Duke loses confidence in their ability to execute if something doesn't go their way (see Richmond game after the blocked punt). If Duke executes like they have they win by 10 at least. I honestly feel if both teams played their absolute best on Saturday, Duke wins because they are the better team this year. Personally I want a true killer instint, a smoking hot 1st half to go up big and a controlled simmer to eat up clock in the second. This could be Des Scotts breakout.

Agreed here, i wasn't implying that MD is last year's NCSU (missing a QB, for one thing). That said i was just mentioning the importance of not taking this game for granted. We SHOULD win...but we MUST execute here.

Regarding Scott, i wasn't suggesting that he should've started to begin the year. I actually would've preferred he kept his red shirt really...i'm excited to see him (i'm impatient with recruits), but i believe we at most get 6 wins this year imo, which leaves us short of a bow. And we then sacrificed a year of eligibility for little reasons.

But i think that when Boyette has been well...poor this year, that he would become at least 2nd in the depth chart after we burned Scott's red shirt (and Kurunuwune had done decently). I understand him at the start of the season on top of the chart. But that's not the case anymore. And yet Boyette will start unless he's out, like he is for Maryland.

(Incidentally i hope you're right about those D-Linemen, but VO's performance is so understated. He's commanding double-teams regularly making those guys' performances easier. It'll be a few games next year I bet before the D Line is really used to the new dynamic).

Regarding James, i don't think he should jump anyone straight away on the depth chart right away. But i have a lower opinion of our guys than you do and hope that if he does show he SHOULD jump those more "experienced" guys...he does.

devildeac
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
You do not want to argue with loran16 about Leon Wright. It's like telling Jumbo that Scheyer is unathletic and can't play defense.

I still enjoy it, too, in a sad, sad sorta way.:( (6 complete passes that day for our offense, 4 of them to the hokies:()

OldPhiKap
10-22-2009, 10:52 PM
To post a few silly thoughts:

1. With the coaching staff we have, and the years of frustration we had previously, I find it impossible to believe that we are going into the Md game overconfident or with a sense of entitlement. We will be ready to earn the win, and expect to work for that win. Does anyone seriously believe that we are going to half-arse it, on the assumption that we will roll over these guys? We can certainly win this game if we play to our potential, and Cut and Crew will certainly instill that.

2. Hard to believe that folks are arguing that depth at CB is a problem. Are y'all serious? I'd rather circulate several heathy bodies in there through the game than leave one stud in there for 60 mintues. I'll personally defer to Cut's staff to determine the appropriate breakdown of time and personnel.

3. I do not mean any of this as over negative. Frankly, I'm thrilled that anyone other than I give a @#$% about Duke Football.

4. Oh, yeah. Go to Hell, Carolina. Even though they looked pretty good last time I checked the UNC-FSU score. GTH.

Respectfully submitted,

-- OPK

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
4. Oh, yeah. Go to Hell, Carolina. Even though they looked pretty good last time I checked the UNC-FSU score. GTH.
Check again. :D

OldPhiKap
10-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Check again. :D

Never happier to be wrong.

Wander
10-23-2009, 10:36 AM
2. Hard to believe that folks are arguing that depth at CB is a problem.

Depth only matters if the players are good. Our secondary is not. Although, our O-line played well last week, and if they can improve, then anything's possible.

Olympic Fan
10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I think you will see Randez James Saturday -- as a coverage guy on special teams.

Unless there are injuries at CB, I doubt you'll see him there.

It will be interesting to see if Kromah's injury means that Tyree Glover gets extended action. The true freshman LB already has one start and seven tackles in 88 snaps this season. Not sure he's ready, but he's going to be good.

loran16
10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
@Wander, That's EXACTLY what i've been saying!

Of course you knew that already.

I think you will see Randez James Saturday -- as a coverage guy on special teams.

Unless there are injuries at CB, I doubt you'll see him there.

It will be interesting to see if Kromah's injury means that Tyree Glover gets extended action. The true freshman LB already has one start and seven tackles in 88 snaps this season. Not sure he's ready, but he's going to be good.

Well, i suppose that's a start :-/ I mean it's not like our special teams coverage has allowed a TD recently (WAIT, it has? In the NC State game! Oh, yeah). So hopefully we can have no returns for a Touchdown by MD this game.