PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick 2010

SilkyJ
10-22-2009, 03:02 AM
JJ is getting PT in the preseason, and while playing well in other areas presumably, he STILL can't find his shooting touch hitting only 32% of his FGs and 33% from 3.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jj_redick/index.html

I actually don't see this as too much of a detriment to JJ's playing time. Barnes will most likely back up Pietrus and JJ will back up Carter.

Orlando's front court is deep - it's back court isn't anymore (they got rid of Love, Alston and Hedo). Thus, JJ will definitely get more playing time. He may even be a 6th man (but I think that task goes to Barnes now).

So just to clarify, Barnes won't affect JJ's PT, but he is ahead of him in the rotation on the wing. Oh and you think b/c Pietrus and VC play different positions. Got it.

JJ's best hope is actually to be used as more of PG, which oddly enough SVG did a couple times in the postseason last year with solid results. JJ really proved himself to be an adept passer off the pick and roll as teams had to respect his shot. Still teams will pretty quickly realize that his handle isn't up to snuff and start pressuring him with a quicker guard and that'll be that.

flyingdutchdevil
10-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Badoink. Time to bump. JJ is getting PT in the preseason, and while playing well in other areas presumably, he STILL can't find his shooting touch hitting only 32% of his FGs and 33% from 3.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jj_redick/index.html

So just to clarify, Barnes won't affect JJ's PT, but he is ahead of him in the rotation on the wing. Oh and you think b/c Pietrus and VC play different positions. Got it.

JJ's best hope is actually to be used as more of PG, which oddly enough SVG did a couple times in the postseason last year with solid results. JJ really proved himself to be an adept passer off the pick and roll as teams had to respect his shot. Still teams will pretty quickly realize that his handle isn't up to snuff and start pressuring him with a quicker guard and that'll be that.

Wow - this is a really old post. Anyway, going back to JJ - if you play Lewis at the 4, which SVG indicated he will mainly do this year (with a little at the 3, which, in that case, will affect JJ's minutes), then JJ still has the opportunity to play a lot more minutes. Pietrus plays the 3 with Barnes mainly backing him up and VC at the 2 with JJ mainly backing him up. This may change if SVG plans on playing Lewis at the 3, which will completely change the dynamics of the backcourt. JJ at PG makes no sense as their isn't a HT anymore. He was THE definition of a point forward. No HT means you need a legit PG, and JJ isn't that (remember HT signing with Toronto?). JJ will get a lot of minutes and yes, something has happened to his shot, but that's easier to find than defense or team skills (ie passing).

hq2
10-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't know. J.J. is known as a shooter. If he can't shoot, he has no outstanding skills; he's just mediocre at everything else. He needs to get his shot back, and then he might become a factor.

sagegrouse
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't know. J.J. is known as a shooter. If he can't shoot, he has no outstanding skills; he's just mediocre at everything else. He needs to get his shot back, and then he might become a factor.

I would personally amend what you say as follows; "If JJ can't shoot at a reasonably high percentage, his team and his fans will be disappointed. Even though his defense and passing have improved tremendously (e.g. against Kobe in the finals), it is not clear he will be a front-line NBA player without being a scorer."

I wouldn't describe JJ as "mediocre at everything else." Even when he wasn't scoring, I thought the Magic played better when he was on the court.

sagegrouse

flyingdutchdevil
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I would personally amend what you say as follows; "If JJ can't shoot at a reasonably high percentage, his team and his fans will be disappointed. Even though his defense and passing have improved tremendously (e.g. against Kobe in the finals), it is not clear he will be a front-line NBA player without being a scorer."

I wouldn't describe JJ as "mediocre at everything else." Even when he wasn't scoring, I thought the Magic played better when he was on the court.

sagegrouse

It's really tough to describe JJ as a star, a great NBA player, or even a starter. However, JJ is a decent role player and with his shooting touch (which I'm sure we'll regain), okay defense and great teamwork. I think JJ can eventually be a starter, but I really see him more as the first or second guard off the bench.

SilkyJ
10-22-2009, 03:09 PM

I was going to say something similar to the 'grouse below. I would describe JJ as more "average" at everything else, as opposed to mediocre. Mostly semantics, but mediocre I tend to think of as having a slightly negative connotation and perhaps a little below average.

I think JJ has shown that he is at least an adequate defender, if not slightly above average, and an above average passer. His handle and slashing ability is more average, but I think overall JJ has proven to be slightly above average in areas besides shooting.

Anyway, we (I) are getting into a lot of semantics. Bottomline, JJ needs to shoot like he is capable of shooting (don't think JJ, just shoot it!) and he is solid enough in other areas that he will get PT.

sagegrouse

superdave
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
JJ should see his playing time increase every other game because Vince Carter only plays hard every other game, meaning on nights when he's loafing the coach would be wise to sit his bad attitude on the bench and play Redick.

SilkyJ
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Anyway, going back to JJ - if you play Lewis at the 4, which SVG indicated he will mainly do this year (with a little at the 3, which, in that case, will affect JJ's minutes), then JJ still has the opportunity to play a lot more minutes. Pietrus plays the 3 with Barnes mainly backing him up and VC at the 2 with JJ mainly backing him up.

That's not how it works. VC, Pietrus, and Barnes are all interchangeable parts that can play the 2 or the 3 so if we assume VC and Pietrus start on the wing, then Barnes will be the first sub in for EITHER of them. JJ will be 4th in inline out there. Now if both VC and Pietrus have foul trouble or need to come out for whatever reason, then you can expect JJ to get in there, but otherwise I would expect a mainly 3 person rotation with JJ getting minutes here and there. I bet his DNPs go down, but he still won't average more than 15-20mpg when all 3 of those guys are healthy, unless he starts shooting lights out.