PDA

View Full Version : Martynas Pocius

italiancrazie
10-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Pocius, in his first game in the Euroleague (the second best league in the world), erupted with 16 points in just 23 minutes, helping his team, Zalgiris Kaunas, to beat the champions of France, Asvel Villeurbanne.
Pocius is currently playing with former UVa standout Travis Watson.

Lord Ash
10-21-2009, 05:25 PM
It is a shame we never really got to see Marty strut his stuff at Duke; we all wanted to! Best of luck to him!

BD80
10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
That's when Pocius stepped off the bench to blast his first shot, from downtown, after which Zalgiris didn't give up the lead again all night. Pocius fired again from the arc at 16-11. Borchardt worked inside to get 2 points back for Asvel, but Pocius got to the line for a free throw to put the hosts up 17-13. He wasn't done, though. On the last shot before the buzzer, one of the best first-quarter debuts in Euroleague history saw Pocius fire up a his third triple in less than 5 minutes to give Zalgiris a 20-15 lead.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamenumber=1&gamecode=3&phasetypecode=RS

Sound like he got 10 points in the last half of the first quarter!

madscavenger
10-21-2009, 07:35 PM
He got his degree though, right? Thats all that really matters. Someone please confirm; thanks.

MChambers
10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame/report?gamenumber=1&gamecode=3&phasetypecode=RS

Sound like he got 10 points in the last half of the first quarter!

Did he foul?

MChambers
10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
"On the last shot before the buzzer, one of the best first-quarter debuts in Euroleague history saw Pocius fire up a his third triple in less than 5 minutes to give Zalgiris a 20-15 lead."

Did he make three three-pointers in his entire career at Duke?

Indoor66
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
"On the last shot before the buzzer, one of the best first-quarter debuts in Euroleague history saw Pocius fire up a his third triple in less than 5 minutes to give Zalgiris a 20-15 lead."

His entire Duke career was derailed by injuries. A shame.

Edouble
10-21-2009, 07:57 PM
It is a shame we never really got to see Marty strut his stuff at Duke; we all wanted to! Best of luck to him!

But we got to see him strut his calves, sir. Those beautiful, glorious calves!

Kewlswim
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Hi,

He is my Face Book Buddy--isn't that worth something? :)

GO DUKE!

JasonEvans
10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Best as I can tell, he had 14 in his Duke career.

--Jason "best of luck to Marty!!" Evans

JaMarcus Russell
10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
He got his degree though, right? Thats all that really matters. Someone please confirm; thanks.

I believe he got his degree in International and Comparative Studies in 4 years.

Lord Ash
10-21-2009, 10:38 PM

That was one of the all-time great moments in college basketball on television, ever.

miramar
10-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Did he foul?

I know for a fact that people were screaming "Martynas doesn't foul" in Lithuanian for most of the game. Fortunately the refs were complete homers so they didn't dare blow the whistle.

Battierfan01
10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I hope Marty has a great career and shows the world what we already knew, that he has SKILLS!! He is a SUPER KID and I wish him the best. Maybe one day he will come back to the States and introduce himself to the NBA.

hq2
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, but I don't think they're going to introduce themselves to him. Marty had his moments, but he was never defensively up to K's standards. Over in Europe, where the players are slower (i.e. more white boys) Marty can get by on D, so he might get himself some P.T. We'll see.

jimsumner
10-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Pocius did have some injury concerns.

He also overlapped with J.J. Redick, Sean Dockery, DeMarcus Nelson, Gerald Henderson, Jon Scheyer, Elliott Williams, and Nolan Smith at his position(s).

All were better players.

And I'm pretty sure his perceived defensive shortcomings had nothing to do with continent of origin or pigmentation.

Billy Dat
10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Marty will always be the highlight of the otherwise horrid VCU game.