PDA

View Full Version : Where is the line in recruiting?

BD80
10-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Students at Duke had to take down signs on campus when Kyrie visited, and yet WVU plastered the stands, and the student body, with Adreian Payne's name and likeness during his visit.

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2009/10/17/a-night-when-wvu-tried-to-avoid-ncaa-violations/#

With Harrison coming in, maybe someone can clarify what is allowed?

Newton_14
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I am glad you brought this up because some of the gray areas are, well, very gray.

As an example one of the articles on Kentucky's Midnight Madness mentioned that in spite of the Compliance Committee warning them ahead of time not to do this, the student section very loudly and blatantly had a few cheers imploring "key recruits" in attendance to come to Kentucky. They were warned that it would possibly be a secondary violation but did it anyway. I am assuming one if not all of those cheers were for Irving.

To me that is a silly rule but for some reason it is in fact against the established rules.

I was at CTC and the Crazies did one cheer of "One More Plumlee Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap" for maybe 15 seconds or so until MP3 waved and then they stopped. I would assume that was safe enough to not go against the rules??

But where exactly is the line when it comes to making signs for recruits during OV's or cheers during the CTC and Midnight Madness events??

JasonEvans
10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd love to hear how this is a violation. It is one thing for the NCAA to limit what coaches say, but are they really going to crack down on fans cheering player's names?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!

Is chanting someone's name or making a poster saying how much you like them an improper benefit? Really?

As careful and thoughtful as Harrison Barnes has been, I doubt cheers and posters with his name will have much of an impact ;)

--Jason "I do think he is looking forward to a rockin' Cameron though, with loud, creative, and fun-to-play-in-front-of fans... that we bring THAT to the table is far more important than any signs or cheers for him" Evans

Newton_14
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd love to hear how this is a violation. It is one thing for the NCAA to limit what coaches say, but are they really going to crack down on fans cheering player's names?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!

Is chanting someone's name or making a poster saying how much you like them an improper benefit? Really?

As careful and thoughtful as Harrison Barnes has been, I doubt cheers and posters with his name will have much of an impact ;)

--Jason "I do think he is looking forward to a rockin' Cameron though, with loud, creative, and fun-to-play-in-front-of fans... that we bring THAT to the table is far more important than any signs or cheers for him" Evans

I kid not... below is the link to the article and the key quotes.. I thought it a bit much??

"The fans, including grown-ups who slept in tents and students who lined up in the wee hours of Friday morning to score primo general admission seating, were so frenzied and excited they might have forced the school to report a possible NCAA violation. At varying times, a collection of folks in the arena chanted the names of three recruits on hand, this despite letters and warnings from the compliance office that doing so could be construed as a secondary violation)."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=4567497