PDA

View Full Version : Carolina players I have liked

Lord Ash
04-25-2007, 08:12 PM
A buddy and I were talking about Carolina players that we have liked.

We had three that came to mind;

Antawn Jamison - an absolute beast down low, great skills, great touch, never saw a single woof from him.

Sean May - reminded me a lot of Elton with those super soft hands and big body.

Tyler - I know he might be a bit nuts, but damn that boy works SO so hard, and never takes a play off. That grit would have been a nice compliment to Josh's game.

So, what about all of you? Come on, you might hate them, but you gotta respect some of those players in baby blue:)

Now the FANS... eh, not sure we have to respect THEM... but...

:D

Clipsfan
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
A buddy and I were talking about Carolina players that we have liked.

We had three that came to mind;

Antawn Jamison - an absolute beast down low, great skills, great touch, never saw a single woof from him.

Sean May - reminded me a lot of Elton with those super soft hands and big body.

Tyler - I know he might be a bit nuts, but damn that boy works SO so hard, and never takes a play off. That grit would have been a nice compliment to Josh's game.

So, what about all of you? Come on, you might hate them, but you gotta respect some of those players in baby blue:)

Now the FANS... eh, not sure we have to respect THEM... but...

:D

I was just thinking the other day (and this may be sacrilege) that I do respect Jamison's game now. He was failing to carry the Wizards on his back at the time, but he still seems to handle himself well. Even so, it's hard to not dislike that fact that he completely destroyed Duke during when I was a freshman. I'd never seen someone get a layup onto the glass that quickly before.

Lord Ash
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
My buddy and I used to joke about how he would only touch the ball for 30 seconds but score 35 points. Well... maybe it wasn't a joke, but...

CDu
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I can't stand Hansbrough. I know people who work at UNC's Montross camp, and all have stated he's a jerk. I'm not shocked by this, because he seems like a punk on the court. I respect his hustle, effort, and production, but I don't like his game and I don't get the feeling I'd like him.

Jamison was frustrating to watch, but he was really good. I guess I respected him. He didn't seem like a jerk.

Other guys who I respected from UNC included:
George Lynch
Eric Montross
Jawad Williams
Raymond Felton
Jackie Manual

That's about it. The rest, I could do without. :)

Indoor66
04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I liked Billy Cunningham and Bob Bennett.

weezie
04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Pssst!
I like Rasheed, but then again, I'm a Detroiter.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Michael Jordan
James Worthy
Sam Perkins
Brad Dougherty
Rick Duckette (walk on in the 70s, I coached little league with him in Winston Salem in 1978 and 79. He drinks Miller High Life in the original bottles. Nice guy, even if he went to carolina!)

wilson
04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Here's my list:

freedevil
04-25-2007, 09:47 PM
David Noel and that's it. He was a class act.

Including Hansbrough on your list should make you feel the need to take a bath. That guy is a jerk.

dukestheheat
04-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Lord Ash,

Without a doubt, Hubert Davis. Davis was a Crazie favorite, so much so that when he went down with an injury in Cameron, the Crazies clapped him up and did a Hubert/Davis clap5 cheer for him and he loved it.

I spoke to Hub years after that event, and he remembered that cheer and that particular play in Cameron.

Good guy.

dth.

pamtar
04-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I must say Felton was probably my favorite Tarheel. He hustled, kept a straight face, and spoke articulately during interviews.

My least favorite - Dirty sheed.

DevilWolf
04-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Eric Staal, Erik Cole, Ray Whitney, Cam Ward, Rod Brind'Amour, Jake Delhomme, Steve Smith, Mike Minter. Danielle Fotopoulous was pretty cool too. I haven't gotten out to see the Mudcats much.

WeepingThomasHill
04-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Lord Ash is compiling a list of UNC players that he likes and soliciting others to add their favorites??? What is this world coming to? Shame, shame.

SilkyJ
04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Other guys who I respected from UNC included:
George Lynch
Eric Montross
Jawad Williams
Raymond Felton
Jackie Manual

Jawad Williams?! When he played against Duke is was tough to tell who talked more trash: him or Dahntay. That guy was dirty and ran his mouth the whole game. Surprised to hear that stuff about Ouchmynosehurts-brough, he seems like he's a quiet guy from humble beginnings, but I dont know him or know anyone who knows him, and am glad to take your guys' info and call him a jerk!

vango
04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Hubert Davis
Michael Jordan - my wife went to Laney High - everyone says the guy was top notch

but my favorite was Brad Daugherty. Met him in Asheville, NC (near his hometown) and he was very intelligent, gracious, and pleasant. Really enjoyed him doing b-ball games. His work on the Duke v. Maryland "Gone in X seconds" game was great I thought (except- though no fault of his own - when ESPN - surprise/surprise - lost the feed in a crucial part of the game).

Channing
04-25-2007, 11:01 PM
While I dont remember his college game, James Worthy was always a favorite of mine in the NBA. He always seemed like he spoke more with actions than words.

however, my all time favorite ACC player not from Duke is hands down Mark Price.

Bostondevil
04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Cliff Morris, walk-on in the '80s and starting player on the Jordan High School State Championship team in 1981, currently a cardiologist. Thanks Cliffy! (I was captain of the Jordan cheerleaders that year.)

SeattleIrish
04-25-2007, 11:24 PM
For some reason, there have been quite a few I've liked over the last couple seasons:

Felton
May
Hansbrough
Noel
I don't really have anything against any of the current heels, which is odd...after 3 years of McCancer, it's a bit refreshing.
Jamison seemed like a good guy - I was in grad. school at Clemson when he and Carter were there - the most dominant guys I've ever seen that were hardly allowed to touch the ball, or so it seemed.
Montross, although a total goof, seemed like a fun guy
Easy to like Doherty now, but I honestly don't remember much about him when he played
Really respected Dean Smith and Gut
I don't dislike Roy, but I do find him to be disingenuine

All in all, a pretty likeable bunch in the past couple classes, which is odd; one would think I would like them less when they're beating us.

s.i.:confused:

dukemsu
04-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Worthy
Daugherty
Lebo
Lynch
Reese

The rest can, well, go to hell.

dukemsu

dukemsu
04-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Does Lawrence Taylor count?

dukemsu

YmoBeThere
04-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Bobby Jones
Worthy
Brad Daugherty
and from my early days of watching the NBA while living in Phoenix "Sweet D" Walter Davis.

If they have the skill without the attitude it is a lot easier to not dislike them. For example, THans has an attitude. Thus easy to dislike.

CDu
04-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Jawad Williams?! When he played against Duke is was tough to tell who talked more trash: him or Dahntay. That guy was dirty and ran his mouth the whole game. Surprised to hear that stuff about Ouchmynosehurts-brough, he seems like he's a quiet guy from humble beginnings, but I dont know him or know anyone who knows him, and am glad to take your guys' info and call him a jerk!

I should add Noel to my list. Jawad just seemed like a good team guy. Compared to guys like Jason Capel, he seemed pretty quiet to me. Could have missed his trash talking and dirtiness, though.

As for Hansbrough, his being a jerk is more him being arrogant and having an "I'm too important for you or for this charity event" attitude. My friend said he was just full of himself. He also apparently blew off a camp volunteer who had politely asked for an autograph. Admittedly, these are second-hand stories, and hardly chronicle a long history, but it doesn't paint a glowing picture.

edensquad
04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
James Worthy
Bobby Jones
Dennis Wuycik

mgwalter
04-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I've always loved Rasheed + Jamison as a goofus and gallant type combo. Jamison always seemed unstoppable, he catch and shoot in the same motion and score within 1/2 second of catching the ball. He seemed like a nice man, and I remember it was a picture of him hugging his youger brother in the paper that won me over. Rasheed was fun to watch b/c he was so stupid, yet also so good. This page still give me a lot of laughs:
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/7346/ You can still watch these kind on antics in the NBA with 'Sheed. He's just clueless.

I also dug Cota and thought Jackie Manual would have been a great sixth man for Duke.

Carter431
04-26-2007, 01:18 AM
I like them now that they aren't wearing baby blue anymore..

Felton
May
Jamison
Stackhouse
Jackie Manuel
Hubert Davis

CathyCA
04-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I agree with Wilson.

My list is also blank.

GTHC!

godukecom
04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
my list includes:
absolutely nobody.

(ok, i liked JR smith because he never showed up to play)

weezie
04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Does Lawrence Taylor count?

dukemsu

I very much like the fact that the Lions FINALLY unloaded Dre Bly.

happydays1949
04-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Got to be Hubert Davis.

CMS2478
04-26-2007, 08:19 AM
This is like asking me to choose my favorite medical procedure: I don't like any of them!!! :eek:

gw67
04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
In addition to Davis and Daughtery, two Heels that I liked were Mike Pepper and Bobby Lewis. Pepper was a local kid who played at Flint Hill. He was a nice high school player in the late 70's but he was not recruited by ACC schools. He played in the preliminary game to the DC Met All Stars vs. U.S. All Star game. The latter was one of the top two or three high school All Star games at that time and Dean was there to check out some kids. He got there early and saw Pepper play a very good game. He liked what he saw and offered Pepper a scholarship. Mike sat at the end of the bench for his first two years, played as a reserve as a junior and started as a senior. Mike lives in Northern Virginia and he came through a very serious brain operation a few years ago.

Lewis was another local player who was one of the top high school players in the country in the early 60's. I played pickup against Bobby and he was not only the best I ever played with but seemed to be a good guy. He went on to average over 22ppg for Dean.

gw67

summerwind03
04-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Geoge Lynch -- a very nice guy (could be a politician!).

wilko
04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
the deceased ones... those I like.

Cameron
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I've always enjoyed watching Rasheed Wallace in the pros, especially during his days in Portland (there was just something about watching this guy with the extremely volatile temper knocking down deep threes that made me enjoy watching), so I guess I'll choose him.

JR Smith's 30-footers in the 2005 McDonald's game also caught my attention quite a bit, as I love guys with incredible distance on their shots. So, as much as I hate to say it, I may have actually *****liked***** watching him in light blue (Oh how much I just cringed reading that.)

rsvman
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
No mention of Wayne Ellington?

Seems like a nice enough guy. Friend of Henderson's.

Good enough for me.

MulletMan
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
OK, first of all this thread stinks.

Second of all, Jawad Williams stunk more than this thread. Jawad went to my rival high school and then went to Carolina, so he's essentially as close as I come to having an anti-Christ.

Now, for those of you who may have missed this, harken back to Jawad's senior season and his McD's all-american game played in Cameron Indoor Stadium. In his post game interview, he was asked if he was looking forward to playing again in Cameron in a Tar Heel uni. Keeping in mind that he was on the "winning" team that night he replied by saying, "Oh yeah. And we're gonna own this place like we did tonight."

How'd that work out for ya Jawad? Jawad's career record at UNC in Cameron...

0-4!!! (Thanks in part to the Phalanx, I like to believe.)

Jawad su**s.

ron mckernan
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
JR Smith
Marvin Williams
Brandan Wright
...for leaving (or never showing up in the 1st place)

Oh, and Matt Doherty & Bill Guthridge for causing them to suck so bad.

I'm gonna go throw up now after be flooded with memories of Montross & Jamison & Hubert Davis.

Ralph-Wiggum
04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Since I'm a Carolina fan and therefore like the majority of our players, I'll name the Carolina players I didn't like:

Brian Reese - not for anything personal, but he seemed to always dribble off his foot. Plus, he should've listened to Dean and not try to dunk the ball against Cinci.

Shammond Williams - I actually liked him a lot as a player, but my freshman year at UNC (his senior year) he made some completely inappropriate comments to a friend of mine.

Pat Sullivan - I just never really liked him very much. It didn't help that I saw him at Top of the Hill in 2001 completely blasted and hitting on (and being rebuffed by) sorority girls 10 years younger than him.

And my most hated Carolina player (and this shouldn't be too much of a surprise):

Makhtar Ndiaye - I thought he was a punk before he came to UNC and he never proved me wrong. The Utah Final Four game was just the final topping on the cake (not just the false accusation, but the fact that due to Guthridge's dumb substitution pattern Makhtar started the game; I really do think that affected our play). I wished he never played for Carolina and I was glad when he left. Ugh.

BlueDevilBaby
04-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Ditto, Wilson, on the basketball players, but I have to say LT (as a Giants fan) and Mia Hamm.

hurleyfor3
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Tommac
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I have admired some of the Carolina players' abilities, been indifferent to most, have really disliked a few, but I can't think of any who I really liked.

Classof06
04-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Antwan Jamison and Brandon Wright - Both let their games speak for themselves, and boy did they.

And I'll throw in Jawad Williams. In high school we went into his gym and pulled off the upset his senior year so I have no reason to hate, haha...

VaDukie
04-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Jamison, May, Jackie Manuel. The rest can go to...

Lavabe
04-27-2007, 06:46 AM
...were the ones who guarded Duhon in the waning seconds. ;)

I.e., I can't think of a Carolina player I have liked.

captmojo
04-27-2007, 08:53 AM

mgtr
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
When I first saw this post, I figured all the replies would be blank. I was wrong, but at least there are precious few mentioned.

feldspar
04-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't have a player, but I have a favorite coach.

D'OH!

greggus
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
ZERO! Once they put that ugly color on they become the enemy.

GTHC!

SilkyJ
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Antwan Jamison and Brandon Wright - Both let their games speak for themselves, and boy did they.

And I'll throw in Jawad Williams. In high school we went into his gym and pulled off the upset his senior year so I have no reason to hate, haha...

I don't know why people keep throwing in jawad. that guy was a first class pr**k.

as for antawn and brandan i guess they were quiet enough to not say anything stupid

nicktonyg22
04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Kinda weird doing this, but alright...

Felton- unbelievably quick
Ginyard- my favorite current unc player, he's not unbelievably talented but he shuts up and plays, team player
Jordan- the greatest ever
Vince Carter- only because he played against me in knockout
Hubert Davis- nice guy

Besides that, you can keep em.

GTHC

worst unc guys:
Rasheed- complete you know what...wouldnt sign an autograph for a 6 year old kid at a restaurant (the rest of his party wasn't even there yet)
Forte- nice NBA career/ felony
McCants- shut up and play basketball
Maktar/KLang/Haywood: aka the goon squad
Tyler- punk/traveler

mapei
04-27-2007, 05:50 PM
1. Jamison. Always a class act.
2. Montross
3. Daugherty

greybeard
04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Bobby Jones and Walter; talk about bringing up bad memories, sorry men, I hated that game too. Jones quirky ways of shooting, ability to make plays. Walter was supurb.

YmoBeThere
04-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Bobby Jones and Walter; talk about bringing up bad memories, sorry men, I hated that game too. Jones quirky ways of shooting, ability to make plays. Walter was supurb.

which game you are referring to or just a time frame? I was a kid watching the NBA when I saw many of these guys, and so didn't realize the error of my ways. Once I grew up, well let's just say I straightened out.

Uncle Drew
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
I just have to say the title and subject of this post is an oxymoron to me. (And I'm sure many others.) Kind of like "Poisons I've consumed that didn't kill me" or "Exwives that didn't take half of my belongings". I have to say I loathe anyone who has donned light blue. I guess my favorite tarheel would have to be JR Smith since he inked with UNC then went straight pro. Hows this, the 'Tareel I hated the least".......I guess I'd have to say Jeff Lebo. Something about him made you think he might be a half decent guy if he was wearing a dark blue uniform. Didn't mean to bust anyones chops and maybe Im wrong. But as much as I love Duke I hate UNC more.

captmojo
04-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I guess I could have mentioned Lewis Black.

JJweMISSu
04-28-2007, 12:03 AM
how can u not respect MJ the best player ever.

nathancjack
04-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Bobby Jones, David Noel, George Lynch and, my all time favorite (I ran into him at a party and he was a great guy), Brad Daugherty (despite the Nascar thing).

glutton
04-28-2007, 02:02 PM
maybe I'm just not good enough at hating, but I can separate the players I actually dislike from the ones I dislike because they play for carolina. I mean, I hate the colts, but I don't hate marvin harrison... except when he's playing against my team.

so my list of tolerable tarheels would be:
MJ
felton
noel

tolerable terrapins:
dixon

yeah, that's all I can think of.

cb15
04-28-2007, 07:36 PM
I attended a James Taylor concert at Carmichael back in 1983. I wasn't paying much attention to who sat down on my right, until the guy tapped me with an elbow and asked if I wanted a beer. It was James Worthy. I was a big fan from that day on.

Uncle Drew
04-28-2007, 08:30 PM
So not to get banned from saying anything TOTALLY inflamatory I'll just say that Michael Jordan is the most over hyped human being in the history of the human race. And had he not gone to UNC the NBA would not have taken every opportunity to inflate his ego more and more every day. There is no such thing as the "greatest" anything in sports, and its a stupid point to even argue. Anyone can take facts and skew them to support their point of view. I could take facts and say Oscar Robinson is the greatest basketball player ever, or Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russel. I could take facts and say Len Bias or Christian Laettner or David Thompson is the greatest ACC player ever. It's all point of view and no ones opinion is not biased. Mine of course happens to be biased against MJ as I haven't swallowed the BS we have been spoon fed since he stepped on the court at UNC. Good if not great player, yes of course. Greatest ever, sure if there is such thing as the easter bunny and the tooth fairy.
Im a Cowboys fan from way back, but I know full well Aikman, Smith and Irvin had a heck of an offensive line to work with and their D was no slouch either. Every championship Jordan won he had 1 coach, an awesome rebounder (Rodman or Grant) and awesome 3 point shooter (Kerr or Paxon) and of course Scottie Pippen. No one EVER gives any of those role players any credit in those championships. Its as if Jordan scored every point, got every rebound and dished out every assist.......wait scratch that last one, we all know he didn't know the meaning of the word pass. And to top it off when MJ was getting 50 million for one season there should have been a sallary cap in place so if he should have been playing with Fuquay-Varina High School. I'd like to see him win a championship when he was truly all on his own. Yes I am biased because I hate his guts due to him being a UNC player. But I honestly think he would be far from my favorite player if he'd worn a Duke jersey.
Apparently you guys look at sports differently than me. In every sport there are teams I like / love and teams I loathe. And granted I am bad about holding grudges. I'm still mad at Kentucky for beating Duke in 78, I will always hate the Steelers for beating my Cowboys in 79 and I loathe the Yankees for beating my Dodgers in the 78 World Series. Sports are like an episode of Dallas to me. Duke is Bobby Ewing and UNC is JR, the team I love to hate. And as much as I hate to admit it I enjoy seeing the teams I hate lose more than my favorite teams win.

Lord Ash
04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I miss big Brad doing the games; "That is just out-standing!" Never heard someone say a phrase more often in my life.

For the terps, there is only one I have ever liked: Juan Dixon. Someplace there is a picture of him in a Duke uniform from when he played in a Duke charity game. Does anyone have that picture?

mgtr
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Latta6970-
Hope you enjoyed your rant. I gather that, in addition to hating anything in pale blue, you don't think any player is the best ever, certainly not MJ. I think that Russell, Byrd, and Robertson could be considered. I think that Rick Barry, in his second season in the league, was the best there was that year (everybody else apparently agreed, since he won every honor that year). How about Pete Maravich? I am old enough to have seen all these players in their prime, and I can't rule out MJ as the overall best. He was simply amazing. Did he have good support? Of course. Did he deserve his salary -- certainly, it is a free market. The team owners and the fans who bought tickets must have agreed.
I would not, by the way, put Chamberlain in the same category as the above players -- except, perhaps, according to his own words, his prowess with women. On the basketball court Bill Russell and Nate Thurmond generally had their own way with him.

merry
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
"Like" might be too strong of a word but my answer would be Worthy, Felton and Jamison.

Uncle Drew
04-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I would not, by the way, put Chamberlain in the same category as the above players -- except, perhaps, according to his own words, his prowess with women.
Dude, if for no other reason you have to put Wilt in consideration. If half, no if a quarter of what he said was true is is definately one of the best "players" to ever live. LOL!

The thing that irks me about MJ now, is how every great player is compared to him and isn't allowed to be who they are and just the best player they can become. Sure some compared Jordan to Dr. J at first, but thatnks to NBA brainwashing he became his own franchise. For the record Maravich SHOULD be considered among the greats, perhaps even the greatest. It's all how you look at stats and want to skew them one way or another.

Oh and if I was ranting, I appologize.

burnspbesq
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Bobby Jones was a neighbor when I lived in suburban Denver in the mid-1970s. Genuinely nice guy, and I loved his game. Watching him defend Dr. J in Nuggets-Nets ABA games was like watching old films of Miles and Trane playing together in the late 1950s. No one ever did it better.

I also liked O'Koren.

No one since then.

dukemsu
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I agree with Latta to a point. Jordan has been called Greatest Player Ever by ESPN (including the shameful #1 ranking of all athletes of the 20th Century, which should have been Ali, with Gretzky #2) so much that people actually attach it to him as a virtual extension of his name. I think you have to look at Jordan in 3 incarnations.

Jordan Mach 1, the guy who left in 93, was perhaps the perfect basketball player. Guarded, drove the lane, rebounded, even passed on occasion, and never, ever, ever, ever, got tired. What must his workouts have been like? Jordan Mach 2 was essentially a ball-hogging fadeaway jump shooter (albeit a very good one) who was handed 15 points before the start of every game by officials. Jordan Mach 2 guarded Jeff Hornacek while Pippen and Rodman guarded everyone else. Jordan Mach 2 was the second best all-around basketball player on his own team. Jordan Mach 3 was an embarassment, not far from Willie Mays stumbling in the outfield for the Mets.

Jordan Mach 1 is in the team picture for best ever, but it's impossible to say who that person is. From his era, he's joined in my opinion by Bird and Magic, and Olajuwon wasn't far behind. Kareem, Maravich, and Oscar from the 70s. Russell, Wilt, West, and probably someone else I'm forgetting from the 60s.

Jordan has become so overhyped it's almost sacrelige to criticize the guy, and I'm just talking about the player, not the guy. That's a whole different conversation.

dukemsu

gw67
05-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I would add Jordan, Mach 0, to your list. Jordan, Mach 0, was the outstanding college player at UNC who averaged 17.7ppg for his career. He was ACC POY one time (8 players were multiple winners, including Thompson and Sampson who won it three times) and he was a two-time 1st team All ACC (25 players were 1st team ACC three times). Yet the ACC sportswriters voted him the top player in the first 50 years of the league. Jordan was hyped so much because of his pro career that the sportswriters and many of the younger basketball fans automatically think that his college career eclipsed that of ACC stars such as Thompson, Sampson, Laettner, Ferry, Bias, Duncan, Price, Heyman, Cunningham and Roche. Jordan was outstanding but not that outstanding.

gw67

captmojo
05-02-2007, 12:39 PM
John Roche, now there's a favorite Carolina player,Just the more southern variety. Also a good player whose name I haven't heard in a long time. I always like the way he handled the ball. Just try to take it away and it would go behind the back, between the legs. Great assist man and shooter too.

Indoor66
05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
John Roche, now there's a favorite Carolina player,Just the more southern variety. Also a good player whose name I haven't heard in a long time. I always like the way he handled the ball. Just try to take it away and it would go behind the back, between the legs. Great assist man and shooter too.

Great "strong arm" as well - stomping Dick DiVenzio....IIRC :mad:

mapei
05-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I have to give MJ respect as a player but I've never found him particularly likeable. The stories of his rudeness around DC when he was associated with the Wizards are legion.

I thought this thread was about whom we liked, not who was a great player.

dukemomLA
05-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Julius Pepper made me smile (...or as a Blue Devil).. cringe. He was wonderful and made our life much harder. I also liked Antwan J. and MJ.

RelativeWays
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
There's almost a brotherly hatred when it comes Duke and Carolina fans and the players for the opposing teams. Think about it, the players most Duke fans are familiar with (other than Duke of course) are UNC players, and its usually the same for Tarheel fans.

That being said, there weren't many UNC players a I had a strong genuine dislike for, there have been a few:

1. Mahktar Ndyaie: An insult to the UNC team and the ACC in general. Trash.

2. Brendon Haywood: Would not stop running his mouth

3. Joe Forte: Very selfish and arrogant at times, I think even his own team hated him.

4. Rasheed Wallace: Yells after the most basic of dunks.

5. King Rice: Griefed poor Bobby Hurley early in his career, that he really irked me. I started to feel bad for him when UNC fans booed him.

acciconoclast
05-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Tough not to like a kid sporting a 1995 pea-green-and-black Caprice Classic :)

North Carolina's basketball season ended more than a month ago. But three nights a week on this town's crowded streets, sophomore Marcus Ginyard is still doing what he does best: working.
"Gotta go, gotta get there fast," Ginyard said Thursday evening, grabbing two tortilla wrap orders, racing to his 1995 pea-green-and-black Caprice Classic, and navigating toward South Campus. "People want their food fresh."

These days, it isn't the game that's on the line, but the tips. Ginyard, a player known for his defense and hustle, averaged 4.1 points per game last season. He's currently averaging about $2 a delivery.

http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/571099.html