PDA

View Full Version : Jay Will

kramerbr
03-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I had tickets to watch him play in the NBADL a couple months ago but he got injured. Then I heard that he was released due to injury so the Toro's could add another player.

Has anyone heard any updates on whether he plans on returning to the NBADL this season?

zingit
03-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Perhaps I shouldn't say this because Coach K's team meetings are supposedly "off the record," but when asked about it, he pretty much said that J-Will gave his best effort, but it was time for him to move on to something else. At least that was the way I took it.

georg0041
03-03-2007, 03:09 AM
what matters to me is who Jason Williams is.

And that is someone very special to me.

Someone who gave everything, and in doing so, reflected great credit upon himself and on Duke University.

ikiru36
03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
georg0041,

I could not agree more.

It makes me sad as he clearly took so much pleasure in playing the game of Basketball at the highest level (and I selfishly will miss the opportunity to watch him play, anew). But he will always be one of the great sports heros in my life and his spirit of perseverence to have come as far physically as he has is inspirational.

A brief anecdote re: J Will-
It was, I believe, his sophomore year (and he was already becoming a pretty big star) and I saw him sitting with Casey Sanders rooting on the Women's team at a game in Cameron. At the time, I was working as a social worker with a young man with a difficult foster care/trauma history and the young man and I would sometimes play chess when we were meeting. I recollected having read that J Will was on his high school chess team (captain, perhaps?). I went up to him and asked if he still played chess and he replied that he still loved it but didn't have the opportunity to play so much anymore. I relayed to him the story of this young man and asked if he would be willing to sign an autograph for him. J Will paused thoughtfully, took the pen and pad from me, then proceeded to spend at least ten minutes writing out an eloquent note about life's struggles and the metaphor of chess. I specifically recall him writing of the value of maintaining composure, thinking first before one makes a move, and should a prior strategy fail, examine it, learn from it and move on. Then he simply signed it and humbly returned the pad to me, wishing me all the best in my work, stating that he hoped his words might have some positive value.

I love that J Will, and he will always hold a very special place in my heart.

In relation to the words he wrote, the irony of Jason's own later tragic decision and the resultant (cruel) consequences is not lost on me. I can only wish that he continue to take his own advice and move forward with the knowledge that he remains part of a Duke family which continues to root for him every step of every day.

Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtleboy
03-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Is he good enough to play in Europe? Can he make more money doing something else?

VaDukie
03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I'd like Jay Will to be our next assistant coach when a spot opens up.