10-18-2009, 03:56 PM
A) New Owner

B)New Coach

C)New Quarterback

D) All of the above

I'm going with D.

DevilAlumna
10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm wondering if anyone would actually publicly admit to being a 'skins fan these days. :cool:

weezie
10-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I believe I have complete license to say this, seeing as how I am a Lions fan, but today's Skins game was the absolute worst game I have ever, ever seen.
Good lord.

elvis14
10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm wondering if anyone would actually publicly admit to being a 'skins fan these days. :cool:

Redskins fans are really not that type. I'm a Redskins fan, have been since I was a small child, will be when I die. Losing, playing poorly, idiot owners, you name it I'm still a 'skins fan.

At the same time, I don't know what to say about the team right now. On the positive side the defense continues to play well enough to keep us from getting blown out. The offense is horrible, just horrible. It's bad that they don't seem to making adjustments as they go along.

As much as I'd love to stop the coaching carousel and stay with Zorn as he learns on the job, he doesn't seem to be learning. For example today's decision to throw the hail Mary instead of trying to kick a FG at the end of the first half.

The owner and GM need to realize that although it's nice to sign a big name, big money player every now and then, sometimes you need to sign multiple mid-level veterans that fit your system.

Hiring Jim Zorn was a risk. Not hiring a proper, experienced offensive coordinator was a recipe for disaster (and that disaster has arrived).

As much as I hate to say it after he handled the off season turmoil so well this past off season, Jason Campbell just isn't going to be a better than average QB in the NFL. He just doesn't have the quickness (of foot, release of the ball, or decision making).

Much like last year, our offensive line is terrible. Someone want to explain to me why that wasn't addressed in the off season (draft, free agents, proper steroid use, etc.)? We should have kept Jon Janson even though he's past his prime, veteran, skilled, depth is necessary.

As proud as I am of the defensive effort, this season, it wouldn't hurt to get a few more turnovers and to play a little better on 3rd down.

I could go on and on. Haynesworth is playing well, Orakpo seems like a really good kid but you have to score points to win games.

OK, maybe I did know what to say :D

kmspeaks
10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Can I add an option E) All of the above + a new GM

jimsumner
10-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Amendment to add option E accepted.

"today's Skins game was the absolute worst game I have ever, ever seen. "

I told somebody earlier in the week that I expected this to be the first game in NFL history in which both teams lost.

I think I was on to something.

CLT Devil
10-18-2009, 10:36 PM
They lost to my lowly Panthers last week...and the thing is they had the game won and found a way to lose. As one person put it "Snyder is like a homeowner that keeps pumping water out of the basement instead of repairing the leak in the roof." In other words, build through the draft, not by signing someone who has had a hot season and wants a huge paycheck. I knew if we lost to the Skins we would be in trouble....

Jarhead
10-18-2009, 10:38 PM

I told somebody earlier in the week that I expected this to be the first game in NFL history in which both teams lost.

How about a new owner?

Turk
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Agreed. Snyder is a putz and everyone he's hired (GM, coach) are sycophants. THat whole bit where they sued season ticket holders who were already in bankruptcy to honor their contracts, forfeited the seats, and resold them was just low class.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
How about a new owner?

That's option A

but if i were a skin fan i would choose E

BD80
10-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Life-long Steeler fan (since the 60s), and can say that Skins fans deserve far better. I used to regularly go to DC on business, and found Skins fans to be great to talk football with.

Snyder is a lousy owner. He tries to win by outspending other owners on splashy free agents. All he winds up with is overpriced talent. He has raided the Steelers a few times for players that weren't getting much interest elsewhere. Yes, there is a price to be paid in extra $ to get a player in free agency, without using draft picks. But Snyder has gone far overboard. Other owners hate him as he single handedly drives up player salaries.

Still, I would rather have Snyder than an owner that refuses to spend the salary cap on his players, or on acquiring players. He needs to find a good GM and then get out of the way.

elvis14
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
He needs to find a good GM and then get out of the way.

I think this very true. Snyder is willing to spend $$ to win. A good GM would help us to spend that money more wisely. Like I said earlier, bringing in a few veteran free agents that are not the big name but fit your system and are mature enough to show up, play their roles and be professional about it would do wonders for Washington.

Thanks for the support BD80, we need it. Nice job by your Steelers yesterday.

whereinthehellami
10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm in the DC area but not really a Skins fan though I have followed them since they hired Zorn (actually thought at one time he would get it done). It is fun listening to the local sports guys rail on the Skins, especially Snyder.

jimsumner
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Snyder is the problem. He's a micro-managing jerk. On his first day as owner he went in the office and randomly started firing people simply to establish the fact that he was in charge.

Since then, he's managed to make Joe Gibbs and Steve Spurrier throw up their hands in frustration. Maybe he has the GM and head coach he has, because no one with real credentials will work with him anymore.

You sometimes can get away with being a ego-drive control freak if you win. Yes, George Steinbrenner, I'm talking to you. But Snyder is not a winner.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to fire an owner. Maybe he'll get tired of playing fantasy football and take up a new hobby, sailing, or collecting stamps, or running for Congress.

I survived the Ralph Guglielmi years, so I guess I can get through this. But it's tough when a proud franchise becomes a laughingstock.

BlueDevilBaby
10-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I went yesterday only because I could not get anyone to take my tickets. That game was so boring I had to fight to stay awake.

Jarhead
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Agreed. Snyder is a putz and everyone he's hired (GM, coach) are sycophants. THat whole bit where they sued season ticket holders who were already in bankruptcy to honor their contracts, forfeited the seats, and resold them was just low class.

That's option A

but if i were a skin fan i would choose E

Yeah, I know, but A covers E, and maybe... ah, hopefully, new management will reverse those court actions against bankrupt season ticket holders. In fact A covers all of the choices, but I would keep Zorn.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Add "new name" to the list. Too much bad mojo. Change the name, the owner, management, and coach.

allenmurray
10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Add "new name" to the list. Too much bad mojo. Change the name, the owner, management, and coach.

Absolutely. It is the worst team name in all of professional sports. To many Native Americans the name is as much an insult as the "N" word is to African-Americans.

Unlike "Braves", which began as a descriptive compliment to the percieved character of Native Americans (despite the stupid tomahawk chop), or "Seminoles", which is a tribe geographically affiliated with the area where FSU is located, "Redskins" is simply insulting and should not stand. Anyone who thinks it can be defended on historic grounds should be able to make a similar defense of calling a team the "N*****s" or the "Gooks" or some other ethnic insult. If they can't do that, then they need to drop their opposition to changing the name of Washington's team. It is an afront to common decency to name a sports team using a term that is an insult to an entire group of people.

weezie
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
It is fun listening to the local sports guys rail on the Skins, especially Snyder.

Oh man, are you right! They are all just about to jump into the Great Falls part of the Potomac today.
Am I correct in my understanding that very few QBs call their own plays, that usually only the very best (Eli, Brett) get that nod? One local sports guy in DC suggested that Campbell call all the plays?:eek:

Snyder isn't going anywhere unless his pocketbook becomes threatened.

BD80
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Absolutely. It is the worst team name in all of professional sports. To many Native Americans the name is as much an insult as the "N" word is to African-Americans.

... It is an afront to common decency to name a sports team using a term that is an insult to an entire group of people.

I don't necessarily disagree, but find some amusement in the pride my kind takes in Notre Dame's choice of the "Fighting Irish."

DukieInKansas
10-19-2009, 01:36 PM

So the chiefs did really win yesterday? I was out of radio/tv contact yesterday and am still having trouble believing they won. By virtue of the win, they have earned the i back in the name - but still no capital letters.

davekay1971
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM

That was the point where I officially renounced my Skins fan-hood. I grew up in DC during the Joe Gibbs era (the first one) and have been a die-hard Skins fan. I was able to forgive Snyder for meddling with the team - it's his money, after all. But that stunt with the fans was low, and I can't support an organization like that.

As for what's wrong with the team:

The two biggest problems with the Skins are Snyder, who won't let football people build his team, and who doesn't have the patience to let a system be built before he tears it down and starts over; and Cerrato, who doesn't know how to build a team and, even if he did, is too much a yes-man to keep Snyder from screwing it up.

Zorn is just a symptom of the problems. He's like the Skins version of Wade Phillips - a coach selected by the owner because the owner can control him.

I feel bad for Campbell, who seems like a good guy but who's been hosed by the situation he's in. Whether or quarterback succeeds in the NFL is largely dependent of factors outside of his control. Not saying that, even in an ideal circumstance, Campbell would be great...but put him in Pittsburgh, with a stable organization and a strong running game, and I bet he does better.

allenmurray
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't necessarily disagree, but find some amusement in the pride my kind takes in Notre Dame's choice of the "Fighting Irish."

I understand. I'm married to a woman with strong Irish ancestry - all four of her grandparents were Irish immigrants. They consider Notre Dame the equivilant of the Vatican, Mecca, the Grand Canyon, the Taj Mahal, and Cameron Indoor Stadium all rolled into one.

There are two big differences: 1) very few folks of Irish ancestry take the team name "fighting Irish" as an insult, but we know with pretty great certainty that Native Americans do take the term "Redskin" as an insult. 2) Like most immigrant groups the Irish came here willingly and were/are glad to be here. They hold great pride in their joint ancestral status and "American" status. Native Americans instead had their homeland invaded and were subject to one of history's great genocides. Thus no one should be all that surprised when our claim to "honor" them by naming our sports teams after them seems just a touch of "too little too late".

jipops
10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Saw the 1st half of the KC game. That had to be some of the most frustrating football I've ever seen. And I went to a lot of Duke football games in the Carl Franks era.

SoCalDukeFan
10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I am a Eagles fan and we lost to the Raiders, which is hard to do.

I graduated from Duke in the mid 60s. Before the Falcons the Redskins were the team that represented the South and many of my friends were Redskin fans. As an Eagles fan I certainly was not. For four years I heard how this was going to the Redskins year. So having them lousy is fine with me.

I hope Snyder keeps the team forever. He and Al Davis are in a race for worst NFL owner.

SoCal (From Philadelphia)

mkirsh
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
It has to start at the top. I don't think replacing the coach or the QB would do any good; we've tried that before with 5 coaches in 10 years, and you know what they say about repeating the same behavior and expecting different results...

As much as I recognize that Zorn and Campbell aren't getting the job done, I don't think they really ever had a chance to be successful. Snyder and Cerrato keep giving away draft picks (2 for Jason Taylor, 2 for TJ Duckett, etc) and using what little draft picks they keep for more skill position players (3 second round picks 2 years ago on WRs Thomas and Kelly and TE Davis). I think I saw a stat someplace that the Redskins had the fewest draft selections of any team over the past 10 years. As a result the offensive line is possibly the worst in the league. Good teams build around great offensive and defensive lines, and mostly accomplish this through the draft. I don't think there is a QB in the NFL outside of maybe Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees who would be successful behind the Skins current O-Line (even with Samuels).

Only chance of turning this around is to bring in a true GM that forces Snyder out of football decisions, but from what I've heard of Snyder's personality and management style, I'm not holding my breath.

BD80
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Add "new name" to the list. Too much bad mojo. ...

Change is good, the mere promise wins elections :rolleyes:

But to what?

The Kickbacks?

The Masterdebaters?

Pork Kings?

Or, for our Iggles fans, the PhillyBusters?

jipops
10-19-2009, 03:34 PM

DC has already changed the name of one of its sports teams. I don't think they're going to change another one, especially one with such a rich history. Too bad it's all history right now.

JasonEvans
10-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I can't believe they told the head coach (Zorn) he is not allowed to call the plays anymore. I mean, what exactly is his job if -- in the end -- he does not have final say about what happens on the field?

--Jason "Zorn is sooo overmatched" Evans

Jeffrey
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Snyder is a putz and everyone he's hired (GM, coach) are sycophants.

I disagree. Joe Gibbs is one of the finest people to ever be associated with the NFL!

Jeffrey
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
How is it that Snyder has destroyed one of the greatest NFL winning traditions while creating one of the most valuable NFL franchises?

kmspeaks
10-20-2009, 12:58 AM
I love my Redskins and will do so till the day I die but this e-mail I got today was too funny not to share.

Cleveland, OH (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Cuyahoga County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him... The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Washington Redskins, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

BD80
10-20-2009, 02:22 AM
These have cycled through Michigan for years:

The new kid in class is introduced by the teacher, who asks the boy to tell the class about his family. The boy hesitates, and says that his father is a male prostitute, which causes some laughter throughout the class.

After class, the teacher stops the boy and asks, "I was told your father was a professional athlete?"

The boy replies, "I was too embarassed to admit that my Dad is a Detroit Lion."

DevilAlumna
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, while the jokes are rolling in, I just got these from my mom this morning. (She's a Redskins fan by virtue of geography - home town team.)

HEADLINE: "D.C. Police are "cracking" down on speeders. For the first
offense, they give you two Redskins tickets. (If you get stopped a
second time, they give you two Nationals tickets.)"

Q. What do you call 47 millionaires sitting around a TV watching the
Super Bowl?
A. The Washington Redskins.

Q. What do the Redskins and Billy Graham have in common?
A. They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus Christ".

Q. How do you keep the Redskins out of your yard?
A. Put up a goal post.

Q. Where do you go in D.C. in case of a tornado?
A. To FedEx Field - they never have a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Redskin with a Super Bowl ring?
A. Senior Citizen

Q. How many Redskins does it take to win a Super Bowl?
A. We may never find out in the 21st century.

Q. What do the Redskins and opossums have in common?
A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

bjornolf
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Agreed. Snyder is a putz and everyone he's hired (GM, coach) are sycophants.

Marty Schottenheimer definitely wasn't a sycophant, but that's why Danny boy fired him. The team might have been successful if they'd kept him.

I think Zorn has too many responsibilities. He was hired to be an offensive coordinator, then they promoted him to head coach. He maintained the responsibilities of a QB coach. They never hired a true offensive coordinator as a replacement. I don't think Zorn is in over his head because he can't be a good head coach or play caller. I think he's in over his head because he's a first time head coach that's trying to be a QB coach, an offensive coordinator, AND a head coach all at the same time. A guy like Holmgren with a LOT of experience and an experienced QB that doesn't NEED a lot of coaching might be able to pull that. Zorn cannot yet. If Zorn is to be a successful head coach, they need to hire him a good QB coach and a REAL offensive coordinator, AND force him to delegate to them properly. THEN, and ONLY then, will he have a chance to learn how to be a good head coach and play caller. They threw him into the shark tank without his scuba gear OR his metal cage, then gave him a bunch of paper cuts. A new head coach NEEDS good supporting coaches. Greg Blache is a NEW defensive coordinator that's just finding his legs. Danny Smith is a good special teams coordinator and a sharp guy, but he doesn't have the tools to help Zorn as a head coach. Joe Bugle is about the only guy that qualifies, and he's the coach of a unit that upper management refuses to give the attention it deserves and needs, so he's up to his neck with his own job.

I think the Skins CAN win with Dan as an owner. However, it will NOT happen until he hires a good GM that's not a yes man to him and he learns to sit back in his suite, write the checks, and get his nose out of places it doesn't belong.

Just my $0.02.

rasputin
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I love my Redskins and will do so till the day I die but this e-mail I got today was too funny not to share.

Cleveland, OH (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Cuyahoga County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him... The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Washington Redskins, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

As a season ticket holder of the St. Louis Lambs, I am amused by this thread. Washington has a couple of W's, one of them against my team.

elvis14
10-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Hiring Jim Zorn was a risk. Not hiring a proper, experienced offensive coordinator was a recipe for disaster (and that disaster has arrived).

If Zorn is to be a successful head coach, they need to hire him a good QB coach and a REAL offensive coordinator, AND force him to delegate to them properly. THEN, and ONLY then, will he have a chance to learn how to be a good head coach and play caller.

That's the issue right there. Without a proper support system Jim Zorn can't succeed. So it'll be interesting to see what happens next. Do they fire Zorn or bring in a a real GM, O-Coordinator, QB-coach? Unless by some miracle, one of the high profile, successful coaches (Holmgren, Shannanhan, Cowher) wants to take on a big challenge, we might not gain much by simply scrapping Zorn and starting over (again!).

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
DC has already changed the name of one of its sports teams. I don't think they're going to change another one, especially one with such a rich history. Too bad it's all history right now.

Are you talking about the Bullets or the Senators?

I have a feeling the name will change sooner rather than later, and definitely in my lifetime.

weezie
10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Holy smokes! John Riggins absolutely SKEWERED Dan Snyder on a local radio call in show this morning. Called him childish, self-centered, an ego maniac. Just lambasted the whole organization from top to bottom. Wowie! Then he described the treatment of Zorn as removing one testicle one week and waiting another week to remove the other.

sue71, esq
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Holy smokes! John Riggins absolutely SKEWERED Dan Snyder on a local radio call in show this morning. Called him childish, self-centered, an ego maniac. Just lambasted the whole organization from top to bottom. Wowie! Then he described the treatment of Zorn as removing one testicle one week and waiting another week to remove the other.

He... said... THAT? :eek:

weezie
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Absolutely. WTOP's "Ask Riggo" show, was on from 10-11am est.

bjornolf
10-20-2009, 06:07 PM

You should see the YouTube video he released last week. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIX3S0f-2c

BD80
10-20-2009, 06:26 PM

And that was BEFORE he started drinking!

Oh, wait. 10:00 am? That was before his third drink, when he really loosens up!

rasputin
10-20-2009, 06:34 PM
And that was BEFORE he started drinking!

Oh, wait. 10:00 am? That was before his third drink, when he really loosens up!

And on his fifth drink, he tells "Sandy baby" to loosen up.

weezie
10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I think Riggins has been AA for several years now. While I'm not a Skins fan, I think the guy deserves a break as he did apparently apologize more than once to Justice O'Connor and she graciously accepted.
He's not a-skeered of anybody, and he's actually a very intelligent and cogent commentator. But boy oh boy is he peeved at the situation at FedEx (aka Hellhole Acres) Field.
Still, I wonder how different the Skins would be if they had taken Michael Vick as was strongly rumored pre-season.

bjornolf
10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Riggins is bitter, and has every right to be. Snyder owns the radio station that convinced him to move to DC from NYC so he could do a "better show", then promptly canned him for being overly negative about the team. I'd be pretty angry too.

JasonEvans
10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
You should see the YouTube video he released last week. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvIX3S0f-2c

"Jim Zorn, you're simply not a head football coach in the NFL. High school? Definitely, you can coach my son in high school any time. Ankle biters, for sure."

Did he just say that the head coach of the Redskins should be coaching pee-wee football?!?!?

--Jason "worth noting-- the Redskins have had a phenomenally easy schedule so far-- the back half of their sked is much tougher" Evans

bjornolf
10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Did he just say that the head coach of the Redskins should be coaching pee-wee football?!?!?

--Jason "worth noting-- the Redskins have had a phenomenally easy schedule so far-- the back half of their sked is much tougher" Evans

Uh, yea, that's exactly what he just said. That or a high school team.

As for the schedule, I'm pretty sure all the Redskins fans are aware of that. :eek: Why do you think we're all depressed right now. ;)

mr shadow 008
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Let me just say that I am a die hard Redskins fan and have been my whole life. I am to young to remember the glory days but I hate what Dan Snyder has done to this orginization. Alot of fans that I know are mad that the team was not left to John Kent Cooke when his father died but i read the other day on the washingtonpost that it was absolutely impossible to give the team to John because of tax reasons. here is the link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/20/AR2009102003616.html

bjornolf
10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Let me just say that I am a die hard Redskins fan and have been my whole life. I am to young to remember the glory days but I hate what Dan Snyder has done to this orginization. Alot of fans that I know are mad that the team was not left to John Kent Cooke when his father died but i read the other day on the washingtonpost that it was absolutely impossible to give the team to John because of tax reasons. here is the link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/20/AR2009102003616.html

I had always heard it was because of a charity JKC wanted to start. The article says "Then, a year before he died, Jack Kent Cooke told his son he would have to wait in line to buy the Redskins like every other millionaire interested in owning one of the NFL's most venerable franchises. Appointing estate trustees to open the bidding, he told his son, was the only way to procure the most money for a charity he wanted to establish: the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, which affords scholarships to needy students who demonstrate the perseverance to finish school, which Jack never had."
It seems at odds with the quote of JKC on the first page about wanting to leave the team to his son, and then his son after that. Odd. It's really kind of sad, at least I thought so. It's certainly a worthy charity, but it seems that it could have been accomplished in some other way, like through the profits of the team after John got it.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Redskins press release (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/redskins_hold_press)

Well done Onion.

rsvman
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM

Unlike "Braves", which began as a descriptive compliment to the percieved character of Native Americans (despite the stupid tomahawk chop), or "Seminoles", which is a tribe geographically affiliated with the area where FSU is located, "Redskins" is simply insulting and should not stand. Anyone who thinks it can be defended on historic grounds should be able to make a similar defense of calling a team the "N*****s" or the "Gooks" or some other ethnic insult. If they can't do that, then they need to drop their opposition to changing the name of Washington's team. It is an afront to common decency to name a sports team using a term that is an insult to an entire group of people.

Since they don't really play in Washington anyway, I think they should change their name to this:

The Greater Chesapeake Area Indigenous Persons

I'd wear the sweatshirt!

SoCalDukeFan
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Both teams have suffered injuries, the Eagles to their defense, the Redskins to their offensive line. The Eagles went out and traded for a linebacker, the Redskins hired a play caller.

Either the Redskins defense is pretty good or the Eagles offense is not. However big plays by the Eagles and turnovers by the Redskins and that was it.

Will be interesting to see what adjustment Snyder and Co. make next.

As an Eagles fan, it is fun to watch.

SoCal

allenmurray
10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Since they don't really play in Washington anyway, I think they should change their name to this:

The Greater Chesapeake Area Indigenous Persons

I'd wear the sweatshirt!

http://rlv.zcache.com/the_original_homeland_security_tshirt-p235385766714150074trlf_400.jpg

bjornolf
10-28-2009, 06:35 AM
I always liked the idea of taking the name of the Washington team in the movie "The Replacements", the Washington Sentinels. Of course, one of the UFL teams stole that idea, but I doubt the league will last that long.

BlueDevilBaby
10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Article on ESPN says now fans cannot bring in signs venting frustration with the team. Classic.

allenmurray
10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2009/10/censorship_at_fedex.html

rasputin
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I always liked the idea of taking the name of the Washington team in the movie "The Replacements", the Washington Sentinels. Of course, one of the UFL teams stole that idea, but I doubt the league will last that long.

I guess the name "Washington Generals" is still taken.

bjornolf
10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I guess the name "Washington Generals" is still taken.

I always thought that one would be so great too.

PumpkinFunk
11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the Falcons game? I mean... we lost, but the 2nd half (3rd quarter especially) was pretty rock-solid for us. Betts filled in very well, and JC played quite well. We have a lot to work out, but at this point, our O-Line is the big problem that we can't do anything about.

91devil
11-10-2009, 12:06 PM
The 'Skins made it mildly interesting in that third quarter (would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall in the locker room at halftime, to hear Coach Zorn express his, um, dissatisfaction). They really only played well for, say, 3/8ths of the game and very poorly for the remainder (against a decent team...the Falcons are, at best, first round playoff fodder, IMO).

I would like to see Jason Campbell tee off, literally, on his linemen after getting sacked (as in, grab a guy's facemask, yank it down, visably tear into him). He seems resigned to the abuse.

Redskin Park must be one depressing place these days. Head coach with zero power, awful record, injuries mounting, tough schedule ahead, little hope of any significant progress and still EIGHT GAMES TO GO. Other than possibly the Oakland game, they won't be favorites in any of them, and will likely be huge underdogs in most. Ouch.

We can see the Marko Mitchell era begin, though!

BlueDevilBaby
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Redskin Park must be one depressing place these days. Head coach with zero power, awful record, injuries mounting, tough schedule ahead, little hope of any significant progress and still EIGHT GAMES TO GO. Other than possibly the Oakland game, they won't be favorites in any of them, and will likely be huge underdogs in most. Ouch.

We can see the Marko Mitchell era begin, though!

It's so bad, I can't sell my tickets.

Jarhead
11-10-2009, 04:11 PM

There was a time when I would buy those tickets from you, but not now. I go back a long time with the Redskins, all the way back to Griffith Stadium, and the days of Sammy Baugh and Eddie LeBaron. After my Dad passed way my mother would still watch every game because she felt his presence. Didn't understand a bit of it, but she could really talk a good game. It makes me sick to be doing it, but I avoid even reading about their games. It's just too hurtful. When the franchise gets an ownership that cares about fans, I'll test them out, but not until then. Sorry, guys.

PumpkinFunk
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM

For how much would you sell a ticket for the game against the Cowgirls in December? Or is that the only one you won't sell

I'm a poor college student who hasn't ever been to a Skins game before... and is going to the first one a week before that. With a fraternity Brother/Giants fan

BlueDevilBaby
11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
For how much would you sell a ticket for the game against the Cowgirls in December? Or is that the only one you won't sell

I'm a poor college student who hasn't ever been to a Skins game before... and is going to the first one a week before that. With a fraternity Brother/Giants fan

Sorry, that's the one game I don't miss unless I'm sick or out of the country - only two reasons in the last 20 years - as I am a 'Boys fan.

bjornolf
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
After the big win over the Broncos, all the talk in town is about what should be done about the running back situation. I am personally of the mind that Portis can still play. I've been saying this for weeks, but I don't think he's been 100% all year. They were talking about his ankles in week two, and even if it's the kind of injury that won't get worse with playing, most ankles aren't gonna get better until you rest them. He wasn't practicing due to the injuries, which hurt his ability to read blocks and react to his line, which was worsened by the revolving door lineup (practice is even MORE important when you have a different O-line every week). I think he might have a little left in him, but I think they need to shut him down until he's 100%, both in body and in brain, even if that means missing 4 games, or even the rest of the season. He's not young enough to play effectively hurt anymore and I think he's been nicked up all season.

elvis14
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
After the big win over the Broncos, all the talk in town is about what should be done about the running back situation. I am personally of the mind that Portis can still play. I've been saying this for weeks, but I don't think he's been 100% all year. They were talking about his ankles in week two, and even if it's the kind of injury that won't get worse with playing, most ankles aren't gonna get better until you rest them. He wasn't practicing due to the injuries, which hurt his ability to read blocks and react to his line, which was worsened by the revolving door lineup (practice is even MORE important when you have a different O-line every week). I think he might have a little left in him, but I think they need to shut him down until he's 100%, both in body and in brain, even if that means missing 4 games, or even the rest of the season. He's not young enough to play effectively hurt anymore and I think he's been nicked up all season.

As much as Portis tends to stick his foot in his mouth off the field, I've always respected how hard he plays on the field. He runs hard and blocks really well. History tells us, however, that RB's only have so many carries in them and the chances of Portis being at or around 100% for any length of time are not good. I don't think that Portis is all that more effective then Betts (who has stepped in and played very well in the past). My current thoughts are that we should give the ball to Betts until Portis is ready and even then they should split more than they have in they past. Long term, we need to draft a few RB's and hope one of them works out (kinda like we did with WR last year...so far so bad!).

bjornolf
11-20-2009, 06:23 AM
As much as Portis tends to stick his foot in his mouth off the field, I've always respected how hard he plays on the field. He runs hard and blocks really well. History tells us, however, that RB's only have so many carries in them and the chances of Portis being at or around 100% for any length of time are not good. I don't think that Portis is all that more effective then Betts (who has stepped in and played very well in the past). My current thoughts are that we should give the ball to Betts until Portis is ready and even then they should split more than they have in they past. Long term, we need to draft a few RB's and hope one of them works out (kinda like we did with WR last year...so far so bad!).

I don't know, if it works out that we have a non-cap year, the team MIGHT just release Portis next year as the hit on the cap won't matter. He has a HUGE contract. As for the position for the future, if Betts shows he can carry the load for a few years and Ganther continues to improve (he seems to be able to pass block like NOBODY'S business, MAYBE as good as Portis), I think we'd be better served to work on the offensive line in the draft and leave the RBs alone. Maybe in a few years, as Betts starts to break down and if the line is solidified, THEN we look at RB again.

I agree that Portis is a tough guy who has earned respect. However, if he can't practice, especially with an ever changing line, he's hurting the team, not helping. Like I said, I think the team would be best served to shut CP down, maybe for the rest of the year, and try to get him healthy for next year. And make it clear to him that in the future, if he can't practice, he can't play, especially in ANY week where there's a change in the offensive line.

elvis14
11-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't know, if it works out that we have a non-cap year, the team MIGHT just release Portis next year as the hit on the cap won't matter. He has a HUGE contract. As for the position for the future, if Betts shows he can carry the load for a few years and Ganther continues to improve (he seems to be able to pass block like NOBODY'S business, MAYBE as good as Portis), I think we'd be better served to work on the offensive line in the draft and leave the RBs alone. Maybe in a few years, as Betts starts to break down and if the line is solidified, THEN we look at RB again.

I agree that Portis is a tough guy who has earned respect. However, if he can't practice, especially with an ever changing line, he's hurting the team, not helping. Like I said, I think the team would be best served to shut CP down, maybe for the rest of the year, and try to get him healthy for next year. And make it clear to him that in the future, if he can't practice, he can't play, especially in ANY week where there's a change in the offensive line.

I agree with what you are saying. When I said we should draft a couple of RB's I wasn't thinking high draft picks. I'd much rather see us draft O-Line first and foremost. With RB's, it seems like there are some gems that teams dig out of the later rounds. I really don't think I would pay Portis huge money after this season.

Chris4UNC
11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Absolutely! I love the Redskins and always will. I have never been one to hide my loyalties. If anything Skins fans need to show their support more than ever. I am equally loyal to my Heels. The days of 11 win seasons under Mack Brown are far flung memories now but Butch Davis is getting things turned around in Chapel Hill. The Heels have always been at least competitive in football but whoa, did we suffer under John Bunting. With the quarterback Duke now has the rest of the ACC can stop marking Duke as an easy win as well.

Chris4UNC
11-21-2009, 12:28 AM
The bottom line is that Dan Snyder has went out and spent alot of money getting veterans who perhaps have seen their best years already. As for the QB I was ecstatic when he was drafted out of Auburn. His problem is he has had 3 or so offensive coordinators in the last few years. We need to see some consistency in coaching and we need some more young blood.

Chris4UNC
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
if they win anymore games at all I will be ecstatic. It has been so bad this year. I could see them winning at the most 3 more games. They may even take one from Dallas. Regardless the records each team always gets pumped for that one.

bjornolf
11-21-2009, 06:27 AM
The bottom line is that Dan Snyder has went out and spent alot of money getting veterans who perhaps have seen their best years already. As for the QB I was ecstatic when he was drafted out of Auburn. His problem is he has had 3 or so offensive coordinators in the last few years. We need to see some consistency in coaching and we need some more young blood.

If you count college, he's had something like 7 in 8 years. Or maybe it's 8 in 9 now that Sherm Lewis is taking over the playcalling.

jimsumner
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
If it wasn't for bad luck, wouldn't have no luck at all.

Been down so long, it looks like up to me.

Nobody loves me but my mother and she could be jiving me, too.

Add as necessary.

77devil
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM

"has went"? Perhaps its the product of a baby blue education.

mkirsh
12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Can anyone figure out this team? After a horrendous 2-6 start, they have been the best team on the field for their last 4 games (Denver, Dallas, Philly, NO), but somehow managed to spectacularly lose 3 of the 4.

I've been as critical of Snyder/Cerrato as anyone (well, maybe not as much as Riggins, but put me at #2), but are their moves starting to pay off? The offense has been waaaay better with bingo-calling Sherm Lewis, the patchwork offensive line has given Campbell time and run-blocked much better the last 3 weeks, and draft busts Devin Thomas and Fred Davis have actually looked like NFL players, with Davis potentially a star. Do those guys know what they are doing (did I actually just write that?) or have the Skins played better the last few weeks because expectations couldn't get lower?

What about Portis? Is it coincidence that the offense happened to hit a groove with Sherm Lewis the same time Portis went down, or is the offense playing better because Portis is out and they don't have to worry about a prima donna star demanding 20 carries a week, not practicing, and taking all problems directly to the owner?

More importantly, what does this mean for next year? A month ago everyone was saying blow it up and star over, however now one could argue that this team is close, and simply looking to add depth at defensive back (corner especially) and O-line, and trying to find a top flight RB in the draft or through free agency and bringing everyone back might make them a contender next year. Big question on Zorn though - the team is playing hard for him when non-free agents have no reason to, but he has absolutely no idea how to win games. Do you keep him and let him figure it out to try to build on this year, or fire him and start from scratch, knowing that no "name" coach would ever come here in a million years?

It's always an interesting off-season in DC, but this year's version will definitely be one to watch.

elvis14
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
More importantly, what does this mean for next year? A month ago everyone was saying blow it up and star over, however now one could argue that this team is close, and simply looking to add depth at defensive back (corner especially) and O-line, and trying to find a top flight RB in the draft or through free agency and bringing everyone back might make them a contender next year. Big question on Zorn though - the team is playing hard for him when non-free agents have no reason to, but he has absolutely no idea how to win games. Do you keep him and let him figure it out to try to build on this year, or fire him and start from scratch, knowing that no "name" coach would ever come here in a million years?

It's always an interesting off-season in DC, but this year's version will definitely be one to watch.

I'd like to see the Redskins stick with Zorn and Blache (assuming Zorn can learn from mistakes). If we have Sherm Lewis or someone else as an offensive coordinator (which means Zorn isn't the HC and the OC calling plays), I'm OK with that too. Zorn's a young coach, if we want him to succeed surround him with a proper set of coaches. We tried to do that with Gibbs more so than with Zorn....weird.

As for players, I think you basically have the concentration right: O-line, DB, RB. RB's can be found in later rounds of the draft. So draft a few late but use the higher level draft choices on O-line and DB. I'd also love to see us avoid signing the big name, big contract free agent this year and concentrate on signing multiple cheaper vets who fit specific needs.

Would have been nice to win that game yesterday. What a bizarre ending (or so it seemed from the 'center highlights).

kmspeaks
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Can anyone figure out this team? After a horrendous 2-6 start, they have been the best team on the field for their last 4 games (Denver, Dallas, Philly, NO), but somehow managed to spectacularly lose 3 of the 4.

I've been as critical of Snyder/Cerrato as anyone (well, maybe not as much as Riggins, but put me at #2), but are their moves starting to pay off? The offense has been waaaay better with bingo-calling Sherm Lewis, the patchwork offensive line has given Campbell time and run-blocked much better the last 3 weeks, and draft busts Devin Thomas and Fred Davis have actually looked like NFL players, with Davis potentially a star. Do those guys know what they are doing (did I actually just write that?) or have the Skins played better the last few weeks because expectations couldn't get lower?

What about Portis? Is it coincidence that the offense happened to hit a groove with Sherm Lewis the same time Portis went down, or is the offense playing better because Portis is out and they don't have to worry about a prima donna star demanding 20 carries a week, not practicing, and taking all problems directly to the owner?

I can't figure them out but the more I watch the more I love this team. I was part of the blow it up and start over crowd but this last month or so has changed my mind. They play so hard and just can't quite close the deal. I would love to see what this team could do with an upgraded O-Line and a healthy Cooley. I would rather see the Skins use top picks on the O-Line and hope to find that really good, late round RB which always seems to be floating around. I think the current RB's have been effective enough that they can afford to gamble on finding a guy on day two of the draft.

As for Zorn I would keep him. Snyder really threw him into the fire hiring him as head coach without even having experience as a coordinator first. If you're going to do that to somebody then I think you need to give him some time to figure things out (and I mean real time not what have you done for me lately, I can buy enough free agents to win a Super Bowl team in a year time).

mkirsh
12-17-2009, 08:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750356

Cerrato "resigns" today. Holmgren coming?

BlueDevilBaby
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Funny, a co-worker was wishing for this just yesterday.

blazindw
12-17-2009, 10:15 AM

They updated your link. They've already hired Bruce Allen.

Duvall
12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
They've already hired Bruce Allen.

The failure continues, and in record time! Good work Danny.

Jarhead
12-17-2009, 12:32 PM

George Allen's son, Bruce is the new General Manager (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local.html). Pretty good move. I didn't know Snyder had it in him.

elvis14
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Allen actually seems like a pretty good pickup in the wake of th Cerrato "firing". If I have the timelines correct, wasn't he with Oakland and then TB when they were good? The only down side that I see to this is that Allen might try to bring in Gruden. I think Gruden is great on MNF but I'd rather leave the coaching staff alone and bring in better players.

bjornolf
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Allen is a great hire. Yes, he put together the Raiders and the Bucs teams that went to the Super Bowl. He even did it with Al Davis, the king of involved owners, looking over his shoulder. Hopefully, Dan will be smart enough to back off and let him do his job.

I would like to see Zorn get one more shot, but I wouldn't cry if we could get Chuckie.

Duvall
12-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I think Allen is a great hire. Yes, he put together the Raiders and the Bucs teams that went to the Super Bowl.

He took over after Tampa went to the Super Bowl. He can take credit for assembling the Bucs team that we see today, though.

bjornolf
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
He took over after Tampa went to the Super Bowl. He can take credit for assembling the Bucs team that we see today, though.

My bad. I thought he and Gruden went to Tampa the same year. They won a couple of divisions under him though. He was there for the Raiders Super Bowl run though, right?

JasonEvans
12-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Any opinions on the worst fake FG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnxvV3uMII) in history?

Many are saying it seals Zorn's fate. What was he even thinking on that play? It looked to me like the players did not even know what they were doing as the FG kicker was just standing there for a while without realizing where to go. I loved this line from a Washington Post column (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/22/AR2009122200117.html)on it--

The zaniest, most off-kilter called play of the NFL season began with the Redskins' punter taking a snap from the backup tight end before halftime with, incredibly, no line in front of him. As if the New York Giants were supposed to count to "Three Mississippi" before they rushed past Todd Yoder to disembowel poor Hunter Smith.

--Jason "I wonder how that play works in practice?" Evans

BD80
12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Any opinions on the worst fake FG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnxvV3uMII) in history?

Many are saying it seals Zorn's fate. What was he even thinking on that play? It looked to me like the players did not even know what they were doing as the FG kicker was just standing there for a while without realizing where to go. I loved this line from a Washington Post column (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/22/AR2009122200117.html)on it--

--Jason "I wonder how that play works in practice?" Evans

It worked REALLY well in practice; remember, the receiving team was wearing Redskin uniforms and was coached by Zorn.

PumpkinFunk
12-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Anyone else think that this game was pitiful? Our defense was fired up, but our o-line couldn't protect anyone. Ridiculous last two weeks... but hopefully, things are going to improve.