PDA

View Full Version : Open Practice Thoughts

cascadedevil
10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I would like to offer a special thank you to the staff, players and administration for the autograph session and the open practice. I took my two boys and they had a fantastic time (but likely not near as much as their dad who himself felt like he was 12 years old). The players were uniformly friendly and polite. They were excellent role models for my two young boys, and it made me proud to be a Duke alum and fan.

I thought the team looked great in practice, but I was most impressed by Miles and Mason. Our interior defense looks much improved and driving the lane against Duke will be quite challenging this year. Mason was very physical inside and is much more advanced than I thought he would be. Our man to man has long but a pressure on the weak side big to be mobile and aware. From what I saw, Miles and Mason both should handle themselves nicely providing help across the lane.

I have one question for others who were there. It appears that one of the managers was suiting up for practice (he practiced with the bigs and wore #15) and he also was sitting on the bench at CTC dressed in street clothes. Does anyone know who this is, and whether he will be a walk on member of the team this year?

Once again, many thanks to the staff and players, and let me cast three votes for doing the event again next year.

Newton_14
10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for sharing the info. I had wanted to attend today but it did not work out.

I am excited about Miles and Mason. If those two can consistently play well in the post the sky is the limit for this team.

Go Duke!

jipops
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
My biggest impression from the open practice was that K wants the bigs to run A LOT. Both the Plumlee brothers look very comfortable with that style of play. Could be the major factor in both getting the starting nod to begin the season.

dukebballcamper90-91
10-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I sat behind the white bench last night in upper lever and was wondering who the guy in street clothes that kept getting in the team huddle was myself

ricks68
10-18-2009, 01:10 AM
I sat behind the white bench last night in upper lever and was wondering who the guy in street clothes that kept getting in the team huddle was myself

Who are you, then?:p

ricks

airowe
10-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I have one question for others who were there. It appears that one of the managers was suiting up for practice (he practiced with the bigs and wore #15) and he also was sitting on the bench at CTC dressed in street clothes. Does anyone know who this is, and whether he will be a walk on member of the team this year?

Todd Zafirovski. He is a walk on/practice player type and is a freshman.

El_Diablo
10-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Nice research...I've been wondering about him since the grad student campout.

I figured he was either a walk-on or a manager, but I guess he's a 'tweener? One of my friends did something similar (walk-on, practice, suit up for home games) at another ACC school. Sounds like a cool experience.

jimsumner
10-18-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/lfa.html

If you scroll down to the next-to-last paragraph, it looks like the kid has some game.

Brian913
10-18-2009, 01:44 PM
He's from Lake Forest Academy. His dad was CEO of Nortel when it went bankrupt.

Bluedog
10-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Wow, no idea that another Zafirovski was attending Duke, let alone walking on the basketball team. His older brother did the student commencement speech for the class of 2008 (when Barbara Kingsolver was the keynote speaker...). Good luck to Todd!

Although his dad was CEO of Nortel when it filed for bankruptcy, I hardly think that's his legacy and has had a mighty impressive life story and business career. He immigrated to the US from Macedonia when he was in his teens, with his family being broke and nobody speaking any English. Got into college on a swimming scholarship, worked up through the ranks of GE, Motorola, and then Nortel. On the Board of Directors at Boeing too. He received the Ellis Island Medal of Honor and participates in Ironman competitions (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and capped off with a 26.2 mile run (aka a marathon)). Quite a story if you ask me.

Newton_14
10-18-2009, 02:12 PM

Correct on his dad's previous employment. And a slight correction, Nortel did not go bankrupt, it filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. I was aware he had a son at Duke but did not know he would be part of he basketball team.

Turtleboy
10-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Our man to man has long but a pressure on the weak side big to be mobile and aware.For the life of me I can't figure out what this means. Little help?

FireOgilvie
10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out what this means. Little help?

Change "but" to "put."

Our big man on the weak side of the defense has to be mobile and aware.