PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis: 20 Questions

shoutingncu
10-16-2009, 03:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/10/15/midnight.madness/index.html

El_Diablo
10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice overview, but I am getting tired of this "only 3 guards on the team" hyperbole. :)

Our guard depth isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems. They walked onto the team, but Davidson and Peters aren't exactly chopped liver. Here's what they did in high school:

Davidson:
-Three-year all-district and two-time all-state selection
-Averaged 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists per game as a senior

Peters:
-First team all-league (Group B North) as a senior
-Averaged 12.8 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 6.2 assists per game as a senior

So if someone (Scheyer, Smith, Dawkins) twists an ankle, we'll still have guards available to come off the bench. They're not going to shoot the lights out or lock down every opposing guard, but I think they can dribble the ball up the court and get it to the other scorers without throwing it out of bounds.

Wander
10-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Our guard depth isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems. They walked onto the team, but Davidson and Peters aren't exactly chopped liver.

If our goal for the season is to win our exhibition games, then yeah, we have good guard depth. But if we have aspirations of winning championships, then yes, Davidson and Peters are more or less "chopped liver" and you have to consider our guard depth pretty bad.

Luckily, if there was ever a time to have a thin backcourt in the ACC, this is the year.

Kedsy
10-16-2009, 05:21 PM
If our goal for the season is to win our exhibition games, then yeah, we have good guard depth. But if we have aspirations of winning championships, then yes, Davidson and Peters are more or less "chopped liver" and you have to consider our guard depth pretty bad.

Luckily, if there was ever a time to have a thin backcourt in the ACC, this is the year.

On the other hand, if Lance can defend the 2 or 3, and Kyle can defend the 3, as K seems to think they can, then guard depth is less of an issue.

NSDukeFan
10-16-2009, 08:36 PM
On the other hand, if Lance can defend the 2 or 3, and Kyle can defend the 3, as K seems to think they can, then guard depth is less of an issue.

I agree with you and expect Kyle to be very good defending the 3 this year. He will need to be if he is expecting to be successful in the NBA, which I expect, though hopefully not for a couple years.

weezie
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Kinda like the changing leaves...is it "Seth Davis Being Annoying" season already??!

speedevil2001
10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice overview, but I am getting tired of this "only 3 guards on the team" hyperbole. :)

Our guard depth isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems. They walked onto the team, but Davidson and Peters aren't exactly chopped liver. Here's what they did in high school:

Davidson:
-Three-year all-district and two-time all-state selection
-Averaged 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists per game as a senior

Peters:
-First team all-league (Group B North) as a senior
-Averaged 12.8 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 6.2 assists per game as a senior

So if someone (Scheyer, Smith, Dawkins) twists an ankle, we'll still have guards available to come off the bench. They're not going to shoot the lights out or lock down every opposing guard, but I think they can dribble the ball up the court and get it to the other scorers without throwing it out of bounds.

those are some nice numbers for high school hoops, but college hoops is different as is the pros.

El_Diablo
10-16-2009, 11:58 PM
those are some nice numbers for high school hoops, but college hoops is different as is the pros.

Of course. I didn't mean to suggest that they're capable of doing anything close to that in college...just that we also have some serviceable reserves on the bench if we need to eat up some minutes here and there due to foul troubles and/or injuries. But yeah, we'll be in trouble if we have to rely on them much more beyond that.