PDA

View Full Version : BOG lasted past Herman Veal

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Uhm, what? BOG wasn't disbanded as a result of the Herman Veal incident. The incident caused the introduction of a 'buffer zone' between the BOGgers and the visitors' bench but they were still going strong when I graduated (a couple of years after the Veal brouhaha.)

CameronBornAndBred
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I had to refresh my memory about Veal, and found this article...it's a break down of the top 10 Crazie antics, often with inside insight from Jay Bilas.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/cameron/hits.html

It's hilarious to read.

JBDuke
10-15-2009, 08:25 AM
The OP is correct, and DBR is wrong. BOG continued throughout the 80's, and were significant leaders in Cameron during my stay late in the decade. IIRC, BOG was disbanded due to repeated and excessive damages to their dorm and repeated violations of the alcohol policy. Conspiracy theorists abound that getting rid of BOG was part of the gentrification of Duke under Brodie and Keohane...

OZZIE4DUKE
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Uhm, what? BOG wasn't disbanded as a result of the Herman Veal incident. The incident caused the introduction of a 'buffer zone' between the BOGgers and the visitors' bench but they were still going strong when I graduated (a couple of years after the Veal brouhaha.)
Um, Bostondevil, you, of all people, should know that the buffer zone wasn't created because of BOG in the 80's, but because of Phi Psi (and others, probably including BOG) in the 70's! :eek:I remember the game when our opponent brought the JV football team to sit behind the team and in front of us. We sat in the fourth row. :cool:

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Then the Veal incident caused an expansion of the buffer zone. There was definitely a buffer zone reaction to the Veal incident.

msdukie
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I believe the last BOGGERS were the class of 1994, my freshman year.

phillyheel
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
And I'd have to add that any high schooler could wander on campus and go to keg parties at least until 1982. That was probably true until the BOZO incident.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
And I'd have to add that any high schooler could wander on campus and go to keg parties at least until 1982. That was probably true until the BOZO incident.
BOZO incident? I am not familiar with that. Please elaborate!

hurleyfor3
10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
BOG was decertified at the end of the 1992 academic year, ostensibly due to damages. As I recall, it was a rather petty offense that capped off a long list of petty offenses.

There may have been a transition year there, either that year or the year after, where existing BOGgers could live together in the HH2 section but they couldn't recruit anyone. I do know "ex-BOGgers" were living in that section in 1992-93, but there was definitely no BOG that year.

Half the fraternities on Main West, if not most of them, did far worse things than anything BOG got caught doing. Actually some of them DID get caught doing worse things (Sigma Phi Epsilon, 1989) but for some reason Dean Sue wanted to go after BOG.

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
BOZO incident? I am not familiar with that. Please elaborate!

It ain't pretty and I'd rather not do it here. Perhaps I'll PM you.

Johnboy
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

I concur with your good judgment regarding BOZo. Also, my recollection was that the buffer zone first appeared after the Veal incident. Maybe there was a buffer zone before that thanks to Ozzie's air horn, but IIRC, it wasn't there in 1981-82. I could be wrong, of course, but my recollection is the same as yours (and as a Phi Psi, I should know, eh?). :-)

DukeSean
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM

CC me on that, haha

Savage
10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Hurleyfor3 is correct that 1992 was the last official year for BOG. I was part of that BOG class. That was the year that BOG’s meaning changed from “Breatheren of God” to “Blaze of Glory”. Former BOGgers did take up a house off-campus after that, but it didn’t last too long.

As Hurleyfor3 pointed out, BOG was disbanded for some very minor stuff. We did lots of things for which we could have justifiably been punished (Boot-Off, ponding, Frank Lin’s antics at Cirkus Bizurkus, the hamburgler, … to name a few).

As I recall, we were more or less on probation the whole time I was at Duke, but were ultimately shutdown for two events. The first was that during basketball season, we got a couple kegs during a Clemson game which happened to fall on a Monday. Given we were on probation we weren’t allowed to have kegs (and kegs weren’t allowed on campus on Mondays by that point – they were a couple years earlier). The next morning a campus security officer noticed that there was a leak in their small office below BOG. He went upstairs to investigate and found the kegs. When our BOG President, Matt Johnson, was dragged before the judicial board, he explained the kegs were left over from the previous weekend (which would have been a lesser offense). He was asked how he would explain that the public safety officers’ report stating there were still bags of ice on top of the kegs. Matt answered, “I don’t know. I’m not a chemistry major.” This made the headline of the Chronicle the next day and landed BOG on “double secret probation” – meaning one more strike, and we were gone.

The final strike occurred during graduation weekend. We organized a brunch for BOGgers and our friends and families. It was a very upscale affair by BOG standards (no nude keg tossing or anything), attended by many parents and family members. We had kegs and champagne, and given that it was graduation time most attendees would have been over 21. Nonetheless, public safety happened upon the party, cited us and that was the end of BOG. A sad and very unfitting ending.

Billy Dat
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
He was asked how he would explain that the public safety officers’ report stating there were still bags of ice on top of the kegs. Matt answered, “I don’t know. I’m not a chemistry major.”

My goodness, that is tremendous.

I know its easy to talk about how "things were in my day", but having attended Duke from 1990-1994, I witnessed first-hand the gradual phasing out of the kind of student who brought that kind of irreverance to the table - which is too bad because it was a wonderful aspect of the overall student body identity.

Devils Rock
10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Hurleyfor3 is correct that 1992 was the last official year for BOG. I was part of that BOG class. That was the year that BOG’s meaning changed from “Breatheren of God” to “Blaze of Glory”. Former BOGgers did take up a house off-campus after that, but it didn’t last too long.

As Hurleyfor3 pointed out, BOG was disbanded for some very minor stuff. We did lots of things for which we could have justifiably been punished (Boot-Off, ponding, Frank Lin’s antics at Cirkus Bizurkus, the hamburgler, … to name a few).

As I recall, we were more or less on probation the whole time I was at Duke, but were ultimately shutdown for two events. The first was that during basketball season, we got a couple kegs during a Clemson game which happened to fall on a Monday. Given we were on probation we weren’t allowed to have kegs (and kegs weren’t allowed on campus on Mondays by that point – they were a couple years earlier). The next morning a campus security officer noticed that there was a leak in their small office below BOG. He went upstairs to investigate and found the kegs. When our BOG President, Matt Johnson, was dragged before the judicial board, he explained the kegs were left over from the previous weekend (which would have been a lesser offense). He was asked how he would explain that the public safety officers’ report stating there were still bags of ice on top of the kegs. Matt answered, “I don’t know. I’m not a chemistry major.” This made the headline of the Chronicle the next day and landed BOG on “double secret probation” – meaning one more strike, and we were gone.

The final strike occurred during graduation weekend. We organized a brunch for BOGgers and our friends and families. It was a very upscale affair by BOG standards (no nude keg tossing or anything), attended by many parents and family members. We had kegs and champagne, and given that it was graduation time most attendees would have been over 21. Nonetheless, public safety happened upon the party, cited us and that was the end of BOG. A sad and very unfitting ending.

Savage-

thanks for filling in with inside details. For some reason, I had been under the impression that BOG got kicked off campus in 1989-1990. It was my senior year and I recall that BOG got in deep poop for something they did and were told they would be no more. Even if they didn't get officially disbanded, I know something happened that year b/c it was the talk of the campus and I even remeber a very specific and hilarious thing that I overheard on the bus to East Campus one day. A Bogger was talking ot some friend of his about the situation and he essentially said the following: "yeah, it's a bummer that they are cracking down on us, but it's cool because a bunch of us are going to get a house off campus and we're going to change our name to BONG - "Bunch of Nice Guys". I silently LMAO while hearing this. So do you know what happened in 1990 and why it seems too be at odds with your timeleline?

BTW - what's with "Bretheren of God"? Is that what BOG truly stood for and it was just everyone outside of BOG who thought it meant "Bunch of Guys?". The comments from the guy I hear on the bus seemed to indicate "Bunch of Guys" as well.

Cheers. And may Cameron get rowdy again.

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Being female, I know I have a completely different perspective on that kind of irreverance. I could always smell those types and steered clear but many of my girlfriends found them irresistable usually much to their later dismay. That said, I knew many BOGgers in my time and found most of them fun to be around. But, as with almost any large group, they could reach a critical mass. When they did, it was best to avoid them and the ensuing mayhem.

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Another little reported fact about BOG. It got it's start back in the '70s by leftover Lambda Chis. Lambda Chi lost it's charter at Duke and was booted off campus for a series of infractions. It was before my time so I don't know what the infractions were, but considered as whole, the history of BOG was very colorful indeed. (I mentioned before, I did know and like several BOGgers. Pete Ortale was a BOGger. But, and I won't mention a name, the biggest wanker I knew at Duke was also a BOGger.)

hurleyfor3
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
The Chronicle called it Bunch of Guys on first reference, at least in my day.

I knew the event in question had to do with something leaking or dripping onto lower floors, but I didn't recall the entire story.

BOG also had a reputation for marijuana use. Although it was hardly the only living group with this rap (and plenty of independents toked too), there were a few busts of BOGgers during my time there. These were criminal complaints against individuals, not something brought by Student Life against the group. But the label stuck.

Bostondevil: I thought BOG dated from the mid-60s.

ving
10-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I was going to tell the "I'm not a chemistry major" story but was beaten to it. Good stuff.

I didn't live in BOG but was friendly with some of the guys, and IIRC they also were behind loading the SAE bench onto a truck and took it down to Gaffney, SC. A picture of the bench under the big peach water tower was on page 1 of the Chronicle a couple of days later. And when you turned to page 3 of the Chronicle, there was a picture of a miniature replica of the SAE bench, which they had left behind in its place.

Bostondevil
10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

It did, sorry, typo. Although I think it was late '60s.

Lid
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I was going to tell the "I'm not a chemistry major" story but was beaten to it. Good stuff.

I didn't live in BOG but was friendly with some of the guys, and IIRC they also were behind loading the SAE bench onto a truck and took it down to Gaffney, SC. A picture of the bench under the big peach water tower was on page 1 of the Chronicle a couple of days later. And when you turned to page 3 of the Chronicle, there was a picture of a miniature replica of the SAE bench, which they had left behind in its place.

This is my favorite practical joke ever. I never knew BOG had been behind it, but I'm not surprised. Really genius -- the replica was a great touch. IIRC, it was even chained down like the original had been.

jafarr1
10-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Two guys who lived across the hall from me in FUBAR claimed that they had done it. They had no affiliation with BOG that I know about.

I suppose they could have been pulling my leg, but they had a beef with the SAEs and had the pick-up truck to pull it off. I tended to believe them, especially since when I saw one of them and told him about the prank, he was emerging from his room the day after it happened in the afternoon, clearly tired after a late night, happy, and unsurprised by the news.

Regardless of who did it, I agree that it was by far the best prank pulled during my time at Duke.

I remember BOG at the basketball games. While other students were rushing to get "on the TV side", the BOGGERS casually took over their appointed spot each game, standing behind two rows of RA's, jumping up and down with the collars of their T-shirts pulled up around their faces and literally leaning onto the wall of RA's during timeouts to continuously yell "AHHHHHH!" into the opposing team's huddle.

ving
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm not certain BOGGers were involved, but that's my recollection. I could be wrong.

And yes, I believe the replica was chained to the ground in front of the SAE section.

BD80
10-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Was it FUBAR or BOG that brought the kegs "disguised" as floats into football games in the 70s?

It is amazing how much things have changed since we were ranked as one of the top party schools by Playboy (pre-med hedonists, catch phrase: "let's do it in the Gardens")

hurleyfor3
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I believe FUBAR's space was occupied by a fraternity until the early 1980s -- that is, it wasn't called FUBAR.

goodguytoo
10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
BOG was founded in 1961... Article posted here...

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6076/bogbegin.png

BOG RIP officially in Sept 92... article posted here...

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9451/bogend.png

Some lived on campus another year and there was a house off campus, but it was mostly dead by the end of the 92-93 year.

BOG LIVES ON FACEBOOK NOW... Group Name BOG Alumni (Duke University)
If you were a BOGGER check it out and ask to join.
If not stay away...
Don't make us angry. You won't like us when we are angry!

orrnot
10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
--I think BOG was not behind the SAE bench incident, but it sure did appreciate it.
--I don't think it was the graduation incident that did in BOG, but rather a Dawn of the Dead gone worse than usual at the beginning of a semester.
--The off-campus home of BOG still exists but seems to have remained un-occupied of late. I believe its most recent residents played on the lacrosse team.
--The 1989 demise of BOG didn't occur due to the legal scholarship of Dan Zohar, who found that the Judicial Board had pulled a bit of a bait & switch on a BOG defense team The accusation that condemned BOG, though true, was presented early, at the wrong hearing. Sometimes it's good to approach the Man with multiple offenses on one's record.
--I believe it was the 1988 renovation of Cameron (new scoreboard, brass rails, etc.) that got rid of the steel railing that used to separate BOG from the opposing team bench area. I'm not exactly sure that fits into the buffer zone transitions, but I do know that the front row of Boggers often found themselves squeezed between that rail and the mass of BOG behind. That physical pressure, combined w/yelling at the top of one's lungs for the length of a time-out, could make a Bogger quite woozy.

DU82
10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Was it FUBAR or BOG that brought the kegs "disguised" as floats into football games in the 70s?

It is amazing how much things have changed since we were ranked as one of the top party schools by Playboy (pre-med hedonists, catch phrase: "let's do it in the Gardens")

That was House P, which was an all-freshmen dorm at the time (and House P STILL sucks! :-)

DU82
10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I believe FUBAR's space was occupied by a fraternity until the early 1980s -- that is, it wasn't called FUBAR.

FUBAR was around the four years I was living on campus ('78-'82.) I can't remember exactly where on west it was, tucked behind the main quad.

Fall 1982 saw a bunch of living group shuffles, and the creation of all-freshmen clusters. It was later (under Nan, I believe) that a bigger shuffle happened, including the all-freshmen East.

BD80
10-15-2009, 06:10 PM
That was House P, which was an all-freshmen dorm at the time (and House P STILL sucks! :-)

Thanks for refreshing the failing recollection.

I still remember a bare keg being carried into the stadium with a face drawn on one end and a pig tail on the other. Football games were a great place to catch rays for a couple of hours.

hurleyfor3
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
FUBAR was around the four years I was living on campus ('78-'82.) I can't remember exactly where on west it was, tucked behind the main quad.

Fall 1982 saw a bunch of living group shuffles, and the creation of all-freshmen clusters. It was later (under Nan, I believe) that a bigger shuffle happened, including the all-freshmen East.

I was trying to say that FUBAR occupied House B (next to SAE's on the main quad) only starting after the 1982 shakeup you refer to. There may well have been a FUBAR before then but in a different location.

OK, who wants to discuss Federations? Not the Star Trek kind, the Duke housing kind. I know they existed, but I could never figure out why.

Jim3k
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM
It did, sorry, typo. Although I think it was late '60s.

IIRC, it was forming up in '63-'64 (maybe the idea germinated a year earlier.)

duketaylor
10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
They were in the same quad with us and partied pretty hard (81-84) and always sat behind the opponents bench, heckling coaches, players, family members, whomever. After the Veal incident there was an additional four rows or so added between the opposing guest tickets and the BOGgers, causing some dismay. They remained relentless, nonetheless. They were all the entertainment anyone needed for any event. We continued to play basketball but simply weren't very good til Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas, et. al. arrived. But the BOGgers were there, wearing their skull caps for Lefty, absolutely priceless;) Anyone wearing annoying competition colors would be heckled with BOG igniting most any cheer. "Blond hair, black roots" for NCSU cheerleaders was a classic.
Not sure who came up with the Sam Perkins arms, or brought in tennis balls and frisbees to toss across court before games.
We do know who had the airhorn;) But that was before my time (see old fart).
When Tissaw's your starting center (no diss to you, Mike)...
As fanatical as I've been the last 25 years, I wish I was over in BOG when I was in school.

miramar
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I was talking to someone from the Development Office a few years after BOG's demise, and what he seemed to recall the most was a party where the BOGgers invited dates and at the end they supposedly gave a prize to the ugliest date of the group.

I don't know if that's really true, but that would definitely clash with the politically correct environment on campus.

Duvall
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I was talking to someone from the Development Office a few years after BOG's demise, and what he seemed to recall the most was a party where the BOGgers invited dates and at the end they supposedly gave a prize to the ugliest date of the group.

I don't know if that's really true, but that would definitely clash with the politically correct environment on campus.

Well, that and common decency.

goodguytoo
10-16-2009, 09:53 AM
By 1988-92...That is all I can speak too.
Duke had BOG by the balls.
We still tried hard to have fun but would get in trouble for breathing.

I think the one poster hit in on the head... Individually we were all decent people, but when 10 or more got together... watch out...But we were less offensive to women than our reputation by then at least... Maybe because women mostly stayed away. I can't know for sure, but I NEVER witnessed anything that I would be overly embarrassed by today. Just standard drunk college behavior. We were of course 20% alcoholics and 100% enablers...

My favorite thing beyond quad sitting, basketball games and Thursday kegs was...

Getting drunk on Mad Dog 20/20 for every home football game and chucking oranges on the field for the first home touchdown indicating that this was the year we were going to the Orange Bowl....sometimes it would take until like the 2nd or 3rd game to get that first home touchdown... Needless to say mayhem would ensure with all the BOGGERs having oranges with no place to throw them. Good Times.

gvtucker
10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I was trying to say that FUBAR occupied House B (next to SAE's on the main quad) only starting after the 1982 shakeup you refer to. There may well have been a FUBAR before then but in a different location.

No, it was House A. (Close but not quite House B. It was across Few Quad from SAE.) I lived in House A/Fubar in 1980-81 and 1981-82. The location of Fubar was the same for at least two years prior as well as two years afterward.

orrnot
10-16-2009, 08:32 PM
"I was talking to someone from the Development Office a few years after BOG's demise, and what he seemed to recall the most was a party where the BOGgers invited dates and at the end they supposedly gave a prize to the ugliest date of the group."
I never heard of or witnessed anything like this, but heard--& continue to hear--a lot of hyperbole from a lot of non-Boggers who didn't know much. This one actually makes me a bit angry.
Not that this relates precisely, but most Boggers were well aware that we were no one's best looking date.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-16-2009, 09:07 PM
"I was talking to someone from the Development Office a few years after BOG's demise, and what he seemed to recall the most was a party where the BOGgers invited dates and at the end they supposedly gave a prize to the ugliest date of the group."
I never heard of or witnessed anything like this, but heard--& continue to hear--a lot of hyperbole from a lot of non-Boggers who didn't know much. This one actually makes me a bit angry.
Not that this relates precisely, but most Boggers were well aware that we were no one's best looking date.

that is really not appropriate (or funny)

Tappan Zee Devil
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
[/B]
that is really not appropriate (or funny)

To reply to myself - what I saw as non funny was taking the original post - prize for the ugliest date (which is simply an insult to the women involved) - and turning it into a joke

Others may disagree, but ...

orrnot
10-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the explanation; I was really confused. I see your point now.

I'd call my last line a mildly humorous construction, but it was not a joke. It's true that most Boggers think that inappropriate humor is always appropriate, and that may need to be a point of agreeable disagreement, but if you fail to see how appalled I was at the notion of such a party, or that BOG could be associated with such a thing, then I probably should extend my remarks to the thoughts I had later:

Miramar, if you speak again to the Development officer, you might suggest he consider the wisdom of impugning, through casual rumor, the character of several hundred Duke graduates, many of whom have reneged on promises, made in the heat of disgust at an administration that pursued and destroyed a campus home for free expression, to never participate in ongoing support of the University, finding—instead—that they love the school too damned much to simply turn away, even as the school has managed, under the continued sway of other fraternal living groups such as the officer himself might have enjoyed membership in, to achieve national renown as the nearly douchiest, an appellation that—while humorously offered—strikes much closer to home than it did when BOG offered insult and chaos as antidote to the vacuous obscenity of the beautiful.

Highlander
10-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Any truth to the urban legend that the BOG-gers once got busted for playing Donkey Kong in the stairwells with empty kegs? That one always made me laugh.

I've heard the "I'm not a chemistry major" story before, and it always reminds me of the hearing scene in Animal House.

JBDuke
10-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Any truth to the urban legend that the BOG-gers once got busted for playing Donkey Kong in the stairwells with empty kegs? That one always made me laugh.

I've heard the "I'm not a chemistry major" story before, and it always reminds me of the hearing scene in Animal House.

Great scene!

Otter: Point of parliamentary procedure!
Hoover: Don't screw around, they're serious this time!
Otter: Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon: I thought you were pre-med.
Otter: What's the difference?

goodguytoo
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I once played a limited game of Donkey Kong Kegs...Only 4 kegs were available. But it did include 2 floors and a staircase.
It was fun...More aptly titled hit the drunk with the keg...hurt more the next day.
There were rules….Don’t beam the guy in the head…. Yes even BOGGERS had rules and limits.

If I was at Duke today I seriously would restart BOG as a social club (If I knew of it and knew the history).
It seems Duke in general needs a little more social diversity and don't get me started on how lame a "Cheer Cheat Sheet" sounds. When people mention that today, I immediately feel the need to distance myself from it.
You know... When I was there we didn't do that... blah, blah.

dubie409
10-19-2009, 09:08 AM

That may be confused with "keg bowling", sliding down the wet hallway into a stack of empty kegs. Painful, but hilarious....

Duvall
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
If I was at Duke today...

If you were at Duke today you probably wouldn't give a crap about how a bunch of old alums thought you should spend your leisure time.

goodguytoo
10-19-2009, 11:12 AM
If you were at Duke today you probably wouldn't give a crap about how a bunch of old alums thought you should spend your leisure time.

Very True. Very Funny.

Just saying, Duke sounds like it used to be more fun.
I even thought that when I went there - that the classes before us had less complicated rules to deal with.
And now that I am old and grey I like to tell stories around the camp fire about how things were better back then, to all that will listen.

Big Cat
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
The Chronicle called it Bunch of Guys on first reference, at least in my day.

I knew the event in question had to do with something leaking or dripping onto lower floors, but I didn't recall the entire story.

BOG also had a reputation for marijuana use. Although it was hardly the only living group with this rap (and plenty of independents toked too), there were a few busts of BOGgers during my time there. These were criminal complaints against individuals, not something brought by Student Life against the group. But the label stuck.

I am a BOGger who graduated in 1993 and was witness to our demise. For the record I was probably the sole member of the little know Ascetic BOG as I abstained from alcohol and recreational drugs during most of my tenure there. Consequently, I can recount most incidents (and accidents) with a certain amount of lucidity that many may not be able to muster due to inebriation induced cerebral barriers.

In reference to the above post from Bostondevil we had our share of marijuana users; but like almost every other living group or dorm on campus, they were in the minority. In fact, there were never any "criminal" charges during my tenure. A few individuals were cited for marijuana use on one occasion, but the extent of their "prosecution" did not progress beyond the Judicial board. As Bostondevil correctly implied the rumors of rampant drug use in BOG were to a great extent hyperbole and a part of some sort of twisted posthumous hagiography.

In contrast to the portrait of BOG that make our legendary "appetites" the centerpiece, we were also known to have a fair number of Phi Beta Kappa members, and our GPA would usually rank well above the average for living groups.

In reference to the supposed party which involved giving a prize to the "ugliest" date, this rumor is the type that infuriates me. BOG tended to be collectively rather self deprecating, thus, I could never imagine the entire group participating in any activity that even slightly resembled the one rumored here. However, this type of behavior was not at all absent from campus, but it would probably be some of our Panhellenic "brethren" who were the more likely suspects.

Anyways, enough of that crap - Let's go Duke!!!!

Bostondevil
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I didn't accuse BOGgers of rampant marijuana use. I just went back and reread my posts. Hmmm, I did say something about being able to smell those types. That was slang for 'the kind of guy who it would probably be best not to date because he might invite you to a party where the guy with the ugliest date won a prize'. I could always smell those types. Again, let me stress that I knew many BOGgers who were decent guys, but I saw enough stuff like that going on that I have to say their reputation in regards to women was somewhat deserved.

Big Cat
10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I didn't accuse BOGgers of rampant marijuana use. I just went back and reread my posts. Hmmm, I did say something about being able to smell those types. That was slang for 'the kind of guy who it would probably be best not to date because he might invite you to a party where the guy with the ugliest date won a prize'. I could always smell those types. Again, let me stress that I knew many BOGgers who were decent guys, but I saw enough stuff like that going on that I have to say their reputation in regards to women was somewhat deserved.

I wrongly attributed the marijuana post to you. It was actually hurleyfor3.

To preserve decorum and common decency, I will reserve comment on what I think about our so called reputation.

Bostondevil
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Fair enough, Big Cat. And we weren't at Duke at the same time. And I'm female so my perspective is different from yours. I can believe that your 'boys being boys' behavior is my 'disrespectful to women' behavior. But you can't make me unsee things I acutally witnessed. That said, I still went to parties in the BOG section sometimes. There were places that I wouldn't go, so, they weren't the worst IMHO.

goodguytoo
10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
BOG - Not the Worst! (on the front)

That's what she said! (on that back)

An awesome compromise. We'll take it.
That would have made a great shirt - back in the day.

Bostondevil
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
BOG - Not the Worst! (on the front)

That's what she said! (on that back)

An awesome compromise. We'll take it.
That would have made a great shirt - back in the day.

This made me laugh. It would still make a great shirt. Maybe all the BOGgers coming back for a Reunion this spring could wear them. I'll be there.