PDA

View Full Version : Singletary?

kydevil
04-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Do you think he will actually stay in the draft and sign an agent? From what i've read I have seen late second round to undrafted as his projections....

Yes Singletary killed us at home with his clutch shooting and quickness.... but after watching him late in the year and in the Ncaa Tourny I definitely think he needs to come back!

JasonEvans
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
This draft is devoid of good PGs. Now, Singletary is not Collison or Lawson or one of the other stud PG prospects who are all going to come out next year (idiots), but he's a decent NBA prospect. If he impresses teams in workouts, I could see him maybe slipping into the end of the first round. Size is his real issue. At 5-11, he is really undersized for the NBA.

How many PGs better than him will be in the draft? Conley may be and many folks say Acie Law is a PG because he is too small to play SG in the NBA, but aside from that... nobody.

-Jason "if Conley pulls out of the draft, there may not be a single real PG taken in the first round" Evans

Clipsfan
04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't think that just because there are no prospects out there who are better that a team would step up and take Singletary. It's better to just sign Smush Parker or one of the other many PGs who will be available on the free agent market. As for Conley, I don't think that there is any way that he returns to college. The lowest that he'd go would probably be 11th, and there is a good chance that he'll go higher than that. With Rose and Mayo etc coming out next year, there is no way that Conley helps his cause by sticking around college another year. The only thing that I see possibly leading to that would be if Conley has miserable workouts.

JasonEvans
04-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't think that just because there are no prospects out there who are better that a team would step up and take Singletary. It's better to just sign Smush Parker or one of the other many PGs who will be available on the free agent market. As for Conley, I don't think that there is any way that he returns to college. The lowest that he'd go would probably be 11th, and there is a good chance that he'll go higher than that. With Rose and Mayo etc coming out next year, there is no way that Conley helps his cause by sticking around college another year. The only thing that I see possibly leading to that would be if Conley has miserable workouts.

If Conley is on the board when the PG-deficient Hawks draft around #11, then it is 100% guaranteed that the Hawks will pass on him :D

- Jason "I kid, I kid!" Evans

CDu
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
may have nothing to do with whether he thinks he'll be a first-round pick. We need look back only so far as Shavlik Randolph for evidence of that.

Maybe Singletary isn't happy at UVa. Maybe he realizes the team could stink again next year. Maybe he hates Leitao. Maybe Leitao doesn't like him. Maybe he just wants to get some money now. Maybe he realizes his draft stock can't get much higher based on college play (he'll always be undersized), and this year's draft gives him a better shot at getting drafted due to the lack of depth at PG.

But again, it just doesn't necessarily have anything to do with draft stock.

Classof06
04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
From what I've seen, especially against Duke, Singletary has what it takes to be in the NBA. The kid was on the All-ACC Freshman team his first year, and then 1st team All-ACC his sophomore and junior years, so the kid can clearly play. He has solid 3 point range, is a good ballhandler and is dangerously quick off the dribble. He seems to always be able to get into the lane; Duke fans should certainly agree with that assessment. A little undersized, but he'll be fine in the NBA.

CDu
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
From what I've seen, especially against Duke, Singletary has what it takes to be in the NBA. The kid was on the All-ACC Freshman team his first year, and then 1st team All-ACC his sophomore and junior years, so the kid can clearly play. He has solid 3 point range, is a good ballhandler and is dangerously quick off the dribble. He seems to always be able to get into the lane; Duke fans should certainly agree with that assessment. A little undersized, but he'll be fine in the NBA.

I agree: there is certainly a place for the explosive little PG. I don't know that he's a 35+ mpg PG, but as a 20-25 change of pace PG he'd be terrific. He can get by pretty much anybody. Against bigger PG in the league, he'd get exploited. But he'd be a matchup nightmare off the bench.

Bud
04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Also there is not a whole lot for him to play for next year. Virgina is not going to win the ACC or a NC next year so why not enter into the draft and maybe go later in the 1st or 2nd round and possibly get on a good team.

bird
04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Singletary can play in the NBA.

I have heard nothing to indicate he has any issues Leitao.

kydevil
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Does anyone else think that Singletary is a quicker version of Jameer Nelson, but not as good of a shooter. There is definitely room for Singletary in the NBA with his quickness, he may not have the ideal size to handle big pg's (i.e. Jameer Nelson trying to guard Chauncey Billups:mad:) but he can be a solid player and contribute sometime down the road IMO

Highlander
04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I was wondering if his size made him more Mugsy Bogues-esque. Mugsy had a nice NBA career...

Classof06
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Does anyone else think that Singletary is a quicker version of Jameer Nelson, but not as good of a shooter. There is definitely room for Singletary in the NBA with his quickness, he may not have the ideal size to handle big pg's (i.e. Jameer Nelson trying to guard Chauncey Billups:mad:) but he can be a solid player and contribute sometime down the road IMO

For their careers, Singletary shot 40% from the field, 39% from 3 point land. Nelson shot 45% from the field and 36% from 3 point land. So it looks like Singletary's a little more consistent from outside.

VaDukie
04-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't understand why Singletary is not considered a 1st round pick; his game seems rock solid to me.

However, I do not want to see him leave. When we beat UVA next year, I want them to be at full strength.

CDu
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't understand why Singletary is not considered a 1st round pick; his game seems rock solid to me.

However, I do not want to see him leave. When we beat UVA next year, I want them to be at full strength.

The NBA has historically been hesitant with regards to undersized guards. This is especially true for undersized guards who don't have high assist/turnover ratios and don't shoot at a very high percentage.

I think Singletary could make a great impact guard off the bench. But when the first number in your height is a 5, you have to REALLY stand out (think Stoudamire leading his Arizona team deep in the tourney, or Nate Robinson being an athletic freak and leading a strong Washington team). The list of sub-6'0" players successful in the league is very short.