ESPN has a poll up now:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=344

Interesting question, but seems like comparing oranges and apples to me

slower
10-14-2009, 02:38 PM
ESPN has a poll up now:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=344

Interesting question, but seems like comparing oranges and apples to me

Many people can't distinguish between apples and oranges.

Indoor66
10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Gee, there is only 1 active mens college basketball coach.

hurleyfor3
10-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Gee, there is only 1 active mens college basketball coach.

Well, there's only 1 active NFL coach, 1 active NBA coach and no active MLB managers.

CameronBlue
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
No Bela Koroli? Bogus.

shoutingncu
10-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Anson Dorrance?

Stray Gator
10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Given that the survey/polling is being conducted by ESPN, I'm surprised they didn't include Jim Calhoun. :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2009, 04:40 PM
While he doesn't have the record that Pat Summitt does (yet), it's hard to see how they left off Geno Auriemma. 6 NCAA championships since 1985.

Richard Berg
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I hear Socrates was a real wizard with the javelin.

elvis14
10-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Looking at the results we really need to do a better job of stuffing that ballot box. It felt really good to move coach K to #1 on that list them move Deano to #30. Then I moved Joe Gibbs to #2 and Landry to #29 :D

weezie
10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I hear Socrates was a real wizard with the javelin.

Thank you for the best laugh of the day! :D

And I won't try to walk on your joke, either.

(Whew, lot of clicking to get Deano at the bottom of the list.)

MChambers
10-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Looking at the results we really need to do a better job of stuffing that ballot box. It felt really good to move coach K to #1 on that list them move Deano to #30. Then I moved Joe Gibbs to #2 and Landry to #29 :D

I couldn't move El Deano to #30. I had to put folks like Rupp there. El Deano was low, mind you, but there were several below him.

Indoor66
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I couldn't move El Deano to #30. I had to put folks like Rupp there. El Deano was low, mind you, but there were several below him.

In response to your thread title, the answer is YES. :D In reality, el deano can always be placed last. His errors superceed all other errors. He is ultimate darkness. The dump on the hump is his residence.

CameronBlue
10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
In response to your thread title, the answer is YES. :D In reality, el deano can always be placed last. His errors superceed all other errors. He is ultimate darkness. The dump on the hump is his residence.

Last? I dunno. I had him edging out Woody Hayes by a nose for 29th. Some things are self-evident (and can be seen from outer space).

Indoor66
10-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Last? I dunno. I had him edging out Woody Hayes by a nose for 29th. Some things are self-evident (and can be seen from outer space).

I am not sure exactly where he lives now, I would guess in Southern Village. He used to live north of Whitfield Rd. - off (appropriately) Turkey Farm Road!

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I will have no problem putting Dean Smith way the hell up there. He will be behind K of course, and behind Knight and Wooden. However, even though he was on the wrong side of the rivalry, the rivalry would not ever have been the same without him doing the amazing job he did. I will give him the credit he is due. When the time comes, I'm not sure I'll be able to do the same for Ol 'Roy. Anyways, Deano's never going to be on my Christmas list, but I take a measure of pride in knowing that year after year, ever since I can remember, I got to witness the best basketball in the nation without having to leave the comfort of the Triangle. K's done his part for that, so did Smith, so he gets bumped way on up there in my ballot.

cspan37421
10-14-2009, 06:52 PM
+1 cameronbornandbred. Dean was a great coach and is a great person. So is K, and had it been otherwise with Dean, the rivalry wouldn't have been what it was. I would much rather see him rated highly than A. Rupp.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
It's a curious list in terms of who's included and which sports are represented.

While I agree that Bear Bryant was one of the greatest college football coaches ever, I also remember that he credited Wallace Wade is creating and establishing Alabama football. Wallace Wade was so innovative for his time, not unlike Dean Smith And Vic Bubas in basketball, it's amazing that he's not even mentioned. How many men have played in the Rose Bowl on one team and coached in the Rose Bowl on two others.... back when the Rose Bowl was the only bowl and established the "national champion"? His taking Alabama to the Rose Bowl the first time was a pivotal point in football history since it established that football teams from the Southern United States could compete and win against the dominate Eastern and Midwestern teams. His ideas regarding conditioning are the foundation of modern day conditioning. That's only scratching the surface of what Wallace Wade meant to modern football.

I learned about Wallace Wade's contributions And achievements as a coach by reading Lewis Bowling's biography of him. It's well worth reading! I understand that a second edition is about to come out in the near future and that David Cutcliffe has written a foreword.

Edouble
10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Wallace Wade was so innovative for his time, not unlike Dean Smith And Vic Bubas in basketball, it's amazing that he's not even mentioned. How many men have played in the Rose Bowl on one team and coached in the Rose Bowl on two others.... back when the Rose Bowl was the only bowl and established the "national champion"?

Wade was a great coach, no doubt, but what he did as a player does not appear to have any significance for the purposes of this poll.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Wade was a great coach, no doubt, but what he did as a player does not appear to have any significance for the purposes of this poll.

The point I attempted to make is that Coach Wade made history in a variety of ways related to the Rose Bowl. Most of those achievements were as a coach.

Are you doubting his qualifications to be in this list?

elvis14
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Turns out you only need to rank 5 coaches for your ballot to be valid so you can vote for Coach K and 5 of the coaches ranked really low that'll never catch up to K and just leave evil Deano off the list altogether.

ricks68
10-14-2009, 11:52 PM
For some reason, after I voted for all 30 with K 1 and Rupp and Deano 29 and 30, I went back in and voted for just 5, and it counted. After that, it wouldn't let me vote again. So, I was able to add a second vote. Anybody else have a way to get more chances?

ricks

hurleyfor3
10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Anybody else have a way to get more chances?

Move to Chicago