PDA

View Full Version : Entourage discussion

NashvilleDevil
10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Entourage, on the other hand, had one of the best seasons in a while, as the stories got "smaller" and more inward and the characters were given some depth rather than just treated as material (I'm looking at you, Drama and Turtle!) But I suppose that is another thread.

See I thought Entourage was a little lackluster this year. They focused to much on Eric and he may be the weakest character of that cast with Vince a close second. I am curious which way the show is headed now that Vince is a star again, E and Sloan are together and Ari has all the power.

weezie
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
The entire Entourage season was yawny and the only payoff came with Matt Damon's bit at the end of the credits. Over the top and hammy for sure on purpose but Damon's crying and rambling on the phone was superb.
"Queens Boulevard?! That was CRAP!"

Lord Ash
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
See, I liked that they focused on E a bit, to give him a little depth as far as his relationships go, and that they pushed Vince to the back a bit to give Drama and Turtle some depth as well. Those two guys were being used exclusively as comic relief for a while, and I liked that they gave both of them a little more to chew on. While the Israeli personal security thing was dumb, I thought the rest was WAY better than last season.

YourLandlord
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
While the Israeli personal security thing was dumb, I thought the rest was WAY better than last season.

When Entourage first came out, there were endless interviews with Hollywood celebs talking about how funny the show was because so much of little stuff was perfectly accurate.

I think this was an example of that -- probably hilarious to the producers/actors, but over the head of us common folk.

NashvilleDevil
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
If Connoly could act then focusing on E would have been great. I think E should be the focus of the show anyway but Connoly is so brutal in his scenes that they have had to back off of it.

Lord Ash
10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
When Entourage first came out, there were endless interviews with Hollywood celebs talking about how funny the show was because so much of little stuff was perfectly accurate.

I think this was an example of that -- probably hilarious to the producers/actors, but over the head of us common folk.

*laugh*

As someone who has had a few connections to that world through life, lemme say that I still think it wasn't that funny:)

And I don't really mind Connelly as an actor. Okay, he isn't great, but the character seems a bit limited in the same ways that I think the actor playing him is, if that makes sense. I hope they give Vince a little more to do in upcoming seasons, and more with some meat... this year he has sort of just been window dressing. So a little more Vince beyond just sleeping with random girl scenes, same amount of Turtle and Drama realistic story, and I'm happy.

Matches
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Wasn't a big fan of this season. Ari remains brilliant and the scenes with him are excellent. (Loved his stuff in the finale.) Vince had no storyline at all this year, though, and has become completely one-note. The Turtle stuff actually made me dislike Jamie-Lynn Sigler, which I wouldn't have thought possible. E is annoying. Drama has his good moments but grates when he gets too much screentime.

On the plus side: Sloan. Sloan is awesome.

I'm thinking the show probably has an expiration date - maybe one or two more seasons at most. If the first few episodes of the next season aren't a big step up, I probably will bail. Bored to Death is better these days.

CLT Devil
10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I heard a great idea the other day concerning the future of the show; Why not transition to make Ari the star of the show (which is kinda is anyway) and focus on his agency. This way, they can take a new star and follow his/her rise to success every 3 or 4 years, and then the story doesnt get stale like it did this season.

I used to love the show, but now it is so predictable that you know what is going to happen before it ever does. Each up and coming star can have a different interest, hangers on, friends that help with his/her career, etc.

Anyway, just a thought. Can't take credit for it, but I think it's a good idea.

YourLandlord
10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
On the plus side: Sloan. Sloan is awesome.

She is incredible. Best thing to ever come out of Canada.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I heard a great idea the other day concerning the future of the show; Why not transition to make Ari the star of the show (which is kinda is anyway) and focus on his agency. This way, they can take a new star and follow his/her rise to success every 3 or 4 years, and then the story doesnt get stale like it did this season.

I used to love the show, but now it is so predictable that you know what is going to happen before it ever does. Each up and coming star can have a different interest, hangers on, friends that help with his/her career, etc.

Anyway, just a thought. Can't take credit for it, but I think it's a good idea.

Yeah, BSG suggested that on his podcast a few days ago and I think it's a great idea. He suggested starting with an up-and-coming African-American rap star and follow them, which would be a great way to hit a very different perspective on the process of becoming famous. I'm 50/50 on if I think Entourage can do good things with a discussion of race and fame, but at least it would be new.

I also like the idea of doing sort of what The Wire did by building a real ensemble cast in different areas (so you might see Vinnie Chase etc. in the background while Ari was meeting with the new guy) then build story for 5-7 up-and-comers. Some would break out, some would fizzle, some would crack under the spotlight, etc. By building that ensemble the writers wouldn't feel the pressure to have "the star" succeed all the time. But maybe this is a different show? Either way, they definitely need to do something because Entourage now is really, really tired.

weezie
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
She is incredible. Best thing to ever come out of Canada.

Beg to differ....Steve Yzerman is far cuter, to me at any rate:D