PDA

View Full Version : UNC thin frontcourt if Ed Davis goes pro?

houstondukie
10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Before anyone says it is way too early to discuss this topic, let me remind you the thread I started before last season started that discussed the possibility of Duke significantly lacking guards this upcoming season. My worst case scenario came true.

This time, it's our rivals who should be worried. UNC is loaded with frontcourt players this season, and James McAdoo arrives in 2011. But next season, if Ed Davis goes pro like everyone expects him to, UNC's frontcourt will consist of:

C Tyler Zeller - Jr.
PF John Henson - So.
PF Travis Wear - So.
PF David Wear - So.

Henson is very talented (and even he may gro pro after his Freshman season) but can he play 40 minutes? I'm not sold on the Wear twins at all, and especially not as underclassmen.

Any thoughts? Maybe this will play a role in Harrison Barnes' thinking.

DukeUsul
10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
It's way too early to discuss this topic. ;-)

FireOgilvie
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I think both Zeller and Henson in particular will be more than talented enough to carry the team. The Wears will be solid backups. I'm not sure that Duke's probable frontcourt of Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly, and Hairston would be much better.

ChicagoCrazy84
10-13-2009, 01:20 AM
The way college basketball is played now, thin frontcourts are very common. As FireOgilive said, our frontcourt will basically be the same as theirs assuming Davis goes pro. I actually think a frountcourt of Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly, and Hairston is pretty darn good, assuming we have someone like Barnes that can maybe play the 4 for 5 minutes if he needs to. Remember Villanova? They had no frontcourt last year. How about Oregon when they went to the Elite 8 a few years ago or even Duke in 2004? We really only had Shav and Shelden. If you 4 legit PF's and centers on your roster, I think you'll be good.

camion
10-13-2009, 05:07 AM
This is sort of like those radio stations that switch over to all Christmas music sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving. :(

Truth
10-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Before anyone says it is way too early to discuss this topic, let me remind you the thread I started before last season started that discussed the possibility of Duke significantly lacking guards this upcoming season. My worst case scenario came true.

Just curious, did your worst case scenario include Andre Dawkins coming to Duke a year early?

houstondukie
10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Just curious, did your worst case scenario include Andre Dawkins coming to Duke a year early?

My scenario was only having Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, and Elliot Williams at the guard spots. Substitute Dawkins for Williams and that was what I feared could happen. That said, I still think Duke will have a big year.