PDA

View Full Version : Heather Dinich post

loran16
10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5027/dear-duke-fans

Dinich's ACC blog is pretty good reading, and I think it's a message i hope the fans take to heart....in 2 weeks they MUST pack the student section for the maryland game. REGARDLESS of weather.

No excuse when we're 3-3 (1-1)

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5027/dear-duke-fans

Dinich's ACC blog is pretty good reading, and I think it's a message i hope the fans take to heart....in 2 weeks they MUST pack the student section for the maryland game. REGARDLESS of weather.

No excuse when we're 3-3 (1-1)
Saw that earlier today, was good to see her requesting the fans out there on Duke's behalf. I think the Maryland game will be crowded with more blue than usual, and that's without a university sponsored ticket giveaway. The Brunchgaters will be in the lot 8am and cooking. (turtle soup?)

Indoor66
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Nice column. Thanks for the link. IMO, Heather does a great job. Send her an email if you think so - it is good for her.

OldBlue
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Heather has a point, but it is aimed at the wrong audience. The die hard Duke fans have been at the games. Among the major no-shows: the Duke student body. The student section was virtually empty at the beginning of the VT game, and they missed a heck of a game. Let's hope the students show up for Maryland.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Heather has a point, but it is aimed at the wrong audience. The die hard Duke fans have been at the games. Among the major no-shows: the Duke student body. The student section was virtually empty at the beginning of the VT game, and they missed a heck of a game. Let's hope the students show up for Maryland.

Since the students will actually be on campus for the Maryland game (fall break for the VT game), I expect their attendance to be the best this year.

Duvall
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM

The VT game isn't the best example, since it fell during Fall Break, as I recall.

In any event, neither Duke students nor die hard Duke fans are the issue here - both groups could show up in force and still have a mostly empty stadium. It's casual fans that need to get excited about the game to fill the stands. Hopefully Saturday's win will help.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2009, 10:59 AM
The VT game isn't the best example, since it fell during Fall Break, as I recall.

In any event, neither Duke students nor die hard Duke fans are the issue here - both groups could show up in force and still have a mostly empty stadium. It's casual fans that need to get excited about the game to fill the stands. Hopefully Saturday's win will help.

The win over NC State which followed the closely played VT game should boost attendance among those who may have been waiting for a sign that the program really has changed.

Acymetric
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a question. How many seats are allotted for the student section? If its too large, that may be part of the problem...there are only so many students on campus to begin with, and you can't reasonably expect all of them to show, that wouldn't happen on any campus.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2009, 12:39 PM
I have a question. How many seats are allotted for the student section? If its too large, that may be part of the problem...there are only so many students on campus to begin with, and you can't reasonably expect all of them to show, that wouldn't happen on any campus.

Student attendance will fill the four sections allotted when the team plays well and wins. October 24 will likely have better student attendance than any previous games.

Having attended Duke football games regularly since 1959, I'd say the problem is not so much with the student attendance as it is with filling the rest of the stadium with Duke fans. Since Coach Cut's arrival, the trend has been for more and more fans to buy tickets and attend. A significant milestone will be when the general admission area becomes reserved sets again.

allenmurray
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Student attendance will fill the four sections allotted when the team plays well and wins. October 24 will likely have better student attendance than any previous games.

Having attended Duke football games regularly since 1959, I'd say the problem is not so much with the student attendance as it is with filling the rest of the stadium with Duke fans. Since Coach Cut's arrival, the trend has been for more and more fans to buy tickets and attend. A significant milestone will be when the general admission area becomes reserved sets again.

It is a difficult task. In addition to a small student population, Duke also has a small local alumni base. This makes the stadium harder to fill than for unc and ncsu. In basketball this is hardly noticed as CIS is so small. I wonder if the folks who call for CIS to be replaced or made bigger have attended many of the non-sold out bames at the Dean dome or the RBC.

Reaching out to the local community will only be effective when the team is stronger and more consistent. Spending $55 to attend a college football game (minimum $25 ticket $10 to park, $20 in food/drinks) doesn't see like a whole lot to a dedicated college football fan. But if the school isn't "your team", either by virtue of being a student or an alumni (or a long-time local) it is a hard sell.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2009, 01:55 PM
It is a difficult task. In addition to a small student population, Duke also has a small local alumni base. This makes the stadium harder to fill than for unc and ncsu. In basketball this is hardly noticed as CIS is so small. I wonder if the folks who call for CIS to be replaced or made bigger have attended many of the non-sold out bames at the Dean dome or the RBC.

Reaching out to the local community will only be effective when the team is stronger and more consistent. Spending $55 to attend a college football game (minimum $25 ticket $10 to park, $20 in food/drinks) doesn't see like a whole lot to a dedicated college football fan. But if the school isn't "your team", either by virtue of being a student or an alumni (or a long-time local) it is a hard sell.

A good point about the current size of Wallace Wade Stadium is that we probably can fill it if the program builds up. It's true that long ago Duke was Durham's team. Much in life and society have changed since then.

I think the draw would be for fans who live within driving distance and a little beyond. Winning programs draw people. I'm very optimistic about the future! Our current leadership (AD, coach and staff) and the players choosing to attend Duke are a stellar combination that will pay off in terms of all sorts of improvements.

As for the cost to attend a Duke game, check out other venues for college games. It's been my impression that Duke's ticket prices are lower than many others in the ACC and the SEC, for example.

Stray Gator
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

The Maryland game on Oct. 24 should attract a larger crowd not only because the team is coming off an impressive win, but because that will be Parents and Family Weekend.

I agree that the problem is "filling the rest of the stadium with Duke fans"--a problem exacerbated by two facts mentioned by other posters: First, while the people most likely to support the football program regardless of the team's record are Duke alumni, relatively few Duke alumni reside in the Triangle area; thus, since it is impractical for them to attend many games, and they can buy tickets for any single game they're able to attend, there is no real incentive for them to buy season tickets. Second, for local residents who are not alumni, it may be difficult to justify spending their budgeted entertainment dollars on tickets to games in which the home team hasn't provided much entertainment worth cheering in recent years.

I've found a solution that works perfectly for me. I live in Florida, but I buy a pair of season tickets to Duke football (which, FWIW, are a real bargain at a range of $100-150 each compared to the cost of my four season tickets for Gator football). Although I'm only able to travel up for one or two games each season, my son lives in Durham, so he and/or his friends use the seats for the other games. But if he didn't live there, I'd still buy the season tickets and find a way to let some local folks use the extra tickets. In fact, I'd try to arrange with the Iron Dukes office to donate my seats for distribution free, perhaps to youngsters from the Durham public schools or other categories of deserving recipients who might enjoy and appreciate the opportunity to attend a game--and maybe become a Blue Devil fan!

I would encourage other Duke alumni who live outside the Triangle but believe that the football program deserves the support of fans in the stands, and who are willing to pony up $100 (or $150 for the preferred seating sections) per seat each year to help make that possible, to consider buying a season ticket or two and donating the game tickets that they or their family and friends can't use for distribution to local fans. I don't know if the Iron Dukes already have such a program set up, but if not, I'll bet it wouldn't be difficult to do through some local nonprofit or governmental organization--e.g., community or church groups, public schools, law enforcement agencies, etc. For that matter, we may have some Duke students here in the DBR community who work with local resources and may be able to find interested recipients.

allenmurray
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
A good point about the current size of Wallace Wade Stadium is that we probably can fill it if the program builds up. It's true that long ago Duke was Durham's team. Much in life and society have changed since then.

I think the draw would be for fans who live within driving distance and a little beyond. Winning programs draw people. I'm very optimistic about the future! Our current leadership (AD, coach and staff) and the players choosing to attend Duke are a stellar combination that will pay off in terms of all sorts of improvements.

As for the cost to attend a Duke game, check out other venues for college games. It's been my impression that Duke's ticket prices are lower than many others in the ACC and the SEC, for example.

I couldn't agree more. I think the athletic department is working hard at making it "Durham's Team", and the ticket prices are reasonable by college football standards. The drive to making it a community team is a longer one than building support among an alumni base - but it is still possible. And the size of WWade makes gettingit full a realistic goal.

allenmurray
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I would encourage other Duke alumni who live outside the Triangle but believe that the football program deserves the support of fans in the stands, and who are willing to pony up $100 (or $150 for the preferred seating sections) per seat each year to help make that possible, to consider buying a season ticket or two and donating the game tickets that they or their family and friends can't use for distribution to local fans. I don't know if the Iron Dukes already have such a program set up, but if not, I'll bet it wouldn't be difficult to do through some local nonprofit or governmental organization--e.g., community or church groups, public schools, law enforcement agencies, etc. For that matter, we may have some Duke students here in the DBR community who work with local resources and may be able to find interested recipients.

And if anyone wishes to take on such a worthy venture they can do it more cheaply than that. You can buy a "family four pack" for $200. Roughtly $50 a ticket (or less than $10 per game). I can think of many groups that have the necessary infrastructure to get the tickets to folks who will actually use them.

DevilWolf
10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
As much as us football fans are saying it's directed at the wrong audience, I'm not sure numbers are the biggest issue for Duke fans. It's sooooo quiet in Wallace Wade at really key moments of the game.

I just went to the State game last weekend and the 300 or so Duke fans who made the trip were insanely loud the entire game. It was a four hour long party. I intend to do my part in Wallace Wade next Saturday.

killerleft
10-13-2009, 03:14 PM
As much as us football fans are saying it's directed at the wrong audience, I'm not sure numbers are the biggest issue for Duke fans. It's sooooo quiet in Wallace Wade at really key moments of the game.

I just went to the State game last weekend and the 300 or so Duke fans who made the trip were insanely loud the entire game. It was a four hour long party. I intend to do my part in Wallace Wade next Saturday.

Attendance IS the biggest issue, but I certainly agree that our fans could make more noise. There are times when other stadiums would be rockin', and the big majority of our fans appear to watching a card trick or something.

Participate! It's fun!

Greg_Newton
10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been going to Duke football games as much as my location/schedule has allowed for the past 10 years or so, and it's always been a great time. We've always had good kids that try their hardest, it's always been a "party", and there's always been a fun sense of in-the-trenches camraderie between the diehard fans that continue to support perennial 1-10 teams. It has also felt great to be a part of the occaisonal wins where everyone rushed the field and all that jazz.

That said... last Saturday was the first time I've truly felt excited and impressed by a Duke football team. In the past, even when we'd eke out a win, you'd get the sense that it was a Rudy-type overachievement, a heroic outlier performance by our charmingly undertalented guys that should be enjoyed while it lasts. Put bluntly: we were still "Duke Football", and were still a joke. I remember a party where an unnamed football player tried to convince a girl he was Eric Boateng, of all people... it was not a proud culture.

Watching the team come out like a well-oiled machine and keep it up from start to finish Saturday really was amazing to watch. All the little things... the physical one-on-one plays made by the DBs, the stiffarms and runs-after-catches by the WRs, the blitz pickups by the O-line, even the guarded cockiness - we actually looked like a confident, legitimate, and downright good football team. We looked like we not only deserved to be on the field, but deserved to win... and we really believed it.

I don't expect to go 9-3 and make the Gator Bowl or anything, and I'm well aware of what happened last year. However, it really is beautiful to watch Duke football slowly mature into a legitimate institution after all these years. I think the bottom line is that if the team keeps looking like it did the past two weeks, fans will do their part.

I won't be able to make it back to NC until the WFU game, but keep up the hard work boys! We're proud of you.

RazzyBailey31
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
There is a program like Stray mentioned and it's called the ticket outreach program. All unused tickets go to the Durham community and underprivileged groups within the area. This is a great idea because it puts those folks that otherwise would not be able to attend in the seats to have a great time, helps fill the stands for gameday, and hopefully in the process continues to build the football fanbase. Anyone that can't use their tickets please call 919-684-4112 and they will put them to good use.

Also, Stray, big props to you for buying season tickets although you can only attend a few games a year. We need more fans like you.

Stray Gator
10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
There is a program like Stray mentioned and it's called the ticket outreach program. All unused tickets go to the Durham community and underprivileged groups within the area. This is a great idea because it puts those folks that otherwise would not be able to attend in the seats to have a great time, helps fill the stands for gameday, and hopefully in the process continues to build the football fanbase. Anyone that can't use their tickets please call 919-684-4112 and they will put them to good use.

Also, Stray, big props to you for buying season tickets although you can only attend a few games a year. We need more fans like you.

Well, when you consider the big picture, the purchase of Duke football season tickets now is not only an easy way to show support for the team today, but a wise investment in the future--with the upward trend in the Blue Devils' prospects for success, it won't be long before those 50-yard-line seats I'm getting for such a modest cost will be priceless! ;)

RelativeWays
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
You know it may be easier for Duke to attract interest in the greater triad and triangle areas if we don't have one of the more well known Duke alums act so indifferent towards the team on a local radio show. Yep, Feinstein was on the Brad and Britt show (a central NC morning talk show) pimping out his new kids books. When asked about Duke's big win over state, he made some backhanded compliments like it was nice to see Duke end that 6 year streak of road losses, like its a dubious accomplishment, he felt sorry for State fans and Tom O'Brien, never once mentioned Coach Cut by name, never mentioned the fact that the team is not a laughing stock for two years, pretty much acted like he didn't care. I know some may feel like "oh that's just Feinstein being Feinstein" but its a slap in the face of the football team that the guy could not be bothered with a genuine congratulations on a radio show broadcast in the very area that they play in. Its not appreciated at all.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
You know it may be easier for Duke to attract interest in the greater triad and triangle areas if we don't have one of the more well known Duke alums act so indifferent towards the team on a local radio show. Yep, Feinstein was on the Brad and Britt show (a central NC morning talk show) pimping out his new kids books. When asked about Duke's big win over state, he made some backhanded compliments like it was nice to see Duke end that 6 year streak of road losses, like its a dubious accomplishment, he felt sorry for State fans and Tom O'Brien, never once mentioned Coach Cut by name, never mentioned the fact that the team is not a laughing stock for two years, pretty much acted like he didn't care. I know some may feel like "oh that's just Feinstein being Feinstein" but its a slap in the face of the football team that the guy could not be bothered with a genuine congratulations on a radio show broadcast in the very area that they play in. Its not appreciated at all.

I have a different point of view. I don't think Feinstein's indifference will keep fans away from football games. I do think a successful team winning exciting games will draw people to attend and become fans. There are many people drawn to become fans of successful programs with which they have no other connection than wanting to associate with a winner.

jesus_hurley
10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
You know it may be easier for Duke to attract interest in the greater triad and triangle areas if we don't have one of the more well known Duke alums act so indifferent towards the team on a local radio show. Yep, Feinstein was on the Brad and Britt show (a central NC morning talk show) pimping out his new kids books. When asked about Duke's big win over state, he made some backhanded compliments like it was nice to see Duke end that 6 year streak of road losses, like its a dubious accomplishment, he felt sorry for State fans and Tom O'Brien, never once mentioned Coach Cut by name, never mentioned the fact that the team is not a laughing stock for two years, pretty much acted like he didn't care. I know some may feel like "oh that's just Feinstein being Feinstein" but its a slap in the face of the football team that the guy could not be bothered with a genuine congratulations on a radio show broadcast in the very area that they play in. Its not appreciated at all..

Add to this Mark of Mark and Mike on 99.9 a couple of weeks ago said that Duke, UVA, MD, and BC should 'lay down' for the ACC teams that could still potentially make BCS bowls in order to further the ACC's football reputation.

Now I will say that they give Coach Cut lots of love.

gep
10-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Add to this Mark of Mark and Mike on 99.9 a couple of weeks ago said that Duke, UVA, MD, and BC should 'lay down' for the ACC teams that could still potentially make BCS bowls in order to further the ACC's football reputation.

I don't know about Duke, but if the others want to 'lay down" for the other ACC teams, I say, "go for it"... but DUKE will NEVER 'lay down' (at least, I hope) for any ACC "glory". In fact, Duke should be PART of the "ACC glory". GO DUKE!!!!:D

pbc2
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't know about Duke, but if the others want to 'lay down" for the other ACC teams, I say, "go for it"... but DUKE will NEVER 'lay down' (at least, I hope) for any ACC "glory". In fact, Duke should be PART of the "ACC glory". GO DUKE!!!!:D

Pretty sure no other ACC schools "lay down" for Duke on the basketball court, for the good of the conference's national image. The bottom line about ACC football is that in recent years, the conference has performed terribly in bowl games. Having 10 teams make a bowl last year was great, but only winning 4 of them doesn't say much.

JG Nothing
10-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Feinstein needs to get over Mickle not being named AD eleven years ago. Alleva is gone, it's time to move on. Has Feinstein made any comments about White, good, bad, or indifferent? I can't image him having any serious objections. Feinstein must consider White a good hire.

killerleft
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Feinstein still hasn't gotten over how three Duke lacrosse players turned out to be innocent. He's sure something happened, and wants to thank Nancy Grace and Mike Nifong for at least trying to put them in jail.

Whatever grudge he holds against Duke isn't going away. He is a better Grudgemeister than he is a writer. I wonder how many other schools or individuals have gotten on the wrong side of the "great" John Feinstein.

roywhite
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Feinstein still hasn't gotten over how three Duke lacrosse players turned out to be innocent. He's sure something happened, and wants to thank Nancy Grace and Mike Nifong for at least trying to put them in jail.

Whatever grudge he holds against Duke isn't going away. He is a better Grudgemeister than he is a writer. I wonder how many other schools or individuals have gotten on the wrong side of the "great" John Feinstein.

John Feinstein = Fredo Corleone

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do."

killerleft
10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
John Feinstein = Fredo Corleone

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do."

LOL. Got a little melodramatic there huh?:o

roywhite
10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
LOL. Got a little melodramatic there huh?:o

Maybe so. But I don't see where Feinstein's opinion or analysis on anything related to Duke sports should carry any weight.

Glad to see the coverage from Heather Dinnich, and the media respect we're seeing for Coach Cut and his efforts.