PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old iPod

cspan37421
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
My old iPod (4th gen 20 GB) has died a protracted death. It's not the battery, surprisingly, it's the firmware - or something - it regularly hangs my computer and iTunes now. I'm no longer interested in investing hours in fixes - already done that - and have already ordered a new MP3 player. But I'm curious what to do with it.

At first I offered it to one of my kids to take apart, get out the battery and give it to recycling. Others have suggested changing the firmware to "rockbox." I also thought about trying to make it an external hard drive for backup. In either case though, it so seldom is recognized anymore my computer that I'm not sure those are even options.

FWIW I run XP SP2 on my desktop and have a Vista laptop (which heretofore has never recognized my iPod - probably something to do with Apple's restrictions - and perhaps that attempt is the cause of my iPod malfunctioning).

welcoming any and all advice ...

cspan

cspan37421
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
question may be moot - it won't install bootloader for rockbox nor will it format.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
It's worth 10% off a purchase at the Apple Store.

moonpie23
10-13-2009, 06:13 PM
FWIW I run XP SP2 on my desktop and have a Vista laptop

cspan

i think i found your problem... :D

seriously, just give it to someone with a mac and they can probably fix it up pretty quickly...

weezie
10-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Costco has a recycling program where they might also give you a cash card for used electronics, computer stuff.

cspan37421
10-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks all. Unfortunately no Apple Store or Costco within 100 miles of 37421 (well, maybe 100 on the nose for Apple). But I've still got it and perhaps can have it ready to throw at my TV when Family Guy fortified with Windows 7 in the script (pun intended) airs:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14912/family_guy_windows_7_sneak_peek_no_its_not_funny