PDA

View Full Version : The Office wedding

weezie
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Who saw last week's wedding episode? It was finally funny (in parts) with one of the highlights being Dwight's dance down the aisle.
Jim's brothers were wonderfully painful, too. But the meemaw bit was tiresome.
Anybody else have any opinions?

elvis14
10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
My wife and I are both fans of the show. Although there were some funny moments we were generally disappointed. There were as many painful/unwatchable moments as there were funny moments (thanks goodness for the DVR and the ff button!). There are just somethings that don't happen around a wedding, any wedding! And the bridesmaid that hooked up with Dwight...what the hell was that?

I'm glad it's over with so the show can get on with, hopefully, better episodes. I liked some of the extra characters like Jim's brothers, Pam's sister etc., it'll be cool if they make it back on the show.

JasonEvans
10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I found Meema a bit much too, but there were many laugh-out-loud moments in that episode. I found myself hitting the little back-up-8-seconds-and-watch-that-again button on my Tivo remote many, many times in the episode.

Some examples--

Michael Scott: Ok, ok, ok. Hey! What I think Jim is trying to say, is that... they had an accident. And you know what. These two people, they're living together. They are having lot of consensual sex.

Meema: They were living together!?

Michael Scott: Yes, yes! Yes, they were living together. And you know what, you can't expect them to be careful every time. Because frankly it's just a different sensation.

Kevin's kleenex box shoes were awesome. In fact, Kevin was the hidden star of this episode. For example--

Kevin: I'm trying to decide if I have time to pee.

Oscar: How long do you take to pee?

Kevin: The peeing is fast, Oscar. It's getting my tie back on.

and...

Kevin: What an awesome party. The best wedding I've ever been to. I got six numbers. One more, would've been a complete telephone number.

And Dwight was in rare form--

Dwight: I have 9 3/4 horses.
I invented a device, called Burger on the Go. It allows you to obtain six regular sized hamburgers, or twelve sliders, from a horse without killing the animal. George Foreman is still considering it, Sharper Image is still considering it, SkyMall is still considering it, Hammacher Schlemmer is still considering it. Sears said no.

There are so many more. Oscar's reaction to Pam's sister thinking he is dating Kevin, the fabulous re-creation of the famous JK Wedding Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0) complete with Andy coming down the aisle with a walker. I could go on and on. I thought it was one of the best written episodes ever.

--Jason "Jim's comments about his relationship with Pam and love for her really worked too-- mad props!" Evans

hc5duke
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
This was the worst episode so far. Absolutely hated the youtube wedding entrance, it was way too forced and didn't make sense at all. A lot of the characters seemed completely out of character (Oscar, Dwight, and Jim mostly), and the whole scrotum sequence was completely unnecessary and unfunny. The entire thing was painful to watch, and I only keep watching because my wife does. By the end of the episode, I wanted something very, very awful to happen to the writers involving fire and monkeys.

Lord Ash
10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Gotta agree; totally craptastic episode. Having never seen the YouTube video this was apparently based on, it was a totally worthless and LOOOONNNG joke. Too many "that would never happen" moments... it seems like comedies lose track of the idea that once you get into the world of fantasy in a realistic comedy, it loses a LOT of its funny factor.

The Office hasn't been good in years, and shows NO sign of turnaround.

Entourage, on the other hand, had one of the best seasons in a while, as the stories got "smaller" and more inward and the characters were given some depth rather than just treated as material (I'm looking at you, Drama and Turtle!) But I suppose that is another thread.

A-Tex Devil
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Gotta agree; totally craptastic episode. Having never seen the YouTube video this was apparently based on, it was a totally worthless and LOOOONNNG joke. Too many "that would never happen" moments... it seems like comedies lose track of the idea that once you get into the world of fantasy in a realistic comedy, it loses a LOT of its funny factor.

Wow. Maybe I just don't watch TV critically enough. I thought the wedding episode was great. And I've never thought of the office as a "realistic comedy," but maybe that's just me. It's basically 2 normal people dropped in the office with a bunch of cartoon character archetypes . This show has been full of hyperbole with doses of realism since episode 1. And I've always been fine with that.

But I also like uncomfortable comedy. The other wedding episode was awesome too IMHO.

blazindw
10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought it was the best Office I've ever watched. I literally fell out of my chair laughing when Dwight kicked Isabel in the face, and the rest of the episode had me laughing, crying, yelling in disbelief...it had it all. Unbelievable episode!

YourLandlord
10-12-2009, 09:08 PM

I agree. This wasn't a good episode. It had it's moments, sure...but certainly not "the best episode ever!" by any means.

JasonEvans
10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Having never seen the YouTube video this was apparently based on, it was a totally worthless and LOOOONNNG joke.

I thought for a moment that the YouTube joke would not work because people had not seen it, but then I reconsidered because I figured EVERYONE had seen it. It was on the Today show, CNN, Good Morning America, and darn near everything else in addition to getting like 30-million hits on YouTube.

I was wrong ;)

--Jason "don't feel lonely Lord Ash, I don't think my wife's grandmother has seen it either... but she has never heard of YouTube ;)" Evans

hc5duke
10-13-2009, 01:04 AM
I thought for a moment that the YouTube joke would not work because people had not seen it, but then I reconsidered because I figured EVERYONE had seen it. It was on the Today show, CNN, Good Morning America, and darn near everything else in addition to getting like 30-million hits on YouTube.

I was wrong ;)

--Jason "don't feel lonely Lord Ash, I don't think my wife's grandmother has seen it either... but she has never heard of YouTube ;)" Evans

I've seen it, thought it was dumb and extremely tacky the first time, thought the Office version was even dumber.

A-Tex Devil
10-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I've seen it, thought it was dumb and extremely tacky the first time, thought the Office version was even dumber.

Well, like, that's your opinion, man.

bigj4194
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
So i thought the episode was a good episode. Not one of the best but certainly not one of the worst. I personally enjoyed the Office take on the Youtube sensation. Overall it was a good episode but i too am glad it is finally over and the show can move on and develop the co-manager plot line :)

brevity
10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
If any show was going to incorporate a YouTube sensation, it would be The Office. There was that episode a few seasons ago when Michael admitted to the staff, "When I discovered YouTube, I didn't do any work for 5 days." And then there was Ryan's perp walk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Ymh0MOD14) from Corporate after he committed fraud... and the beard.

As I live under a rock to keep cool here, I never saw that wedding video. But I enjoyed the episode anyway. My favorite non-Kevin part: when Kelly and the others are challenging Andy's dancing abilities. Then he injures himself, and Erin, still caught up in the moment, is shouting, "Is that all you got?"

YourLandlord
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Then he injures himself, and Erin, still caught up in the moment, is shouting, "Is that all you got?"

Haha i rewound a few times to watch that part again.