PDA

View Full Version : Know thy enemy

jesus_hurley
10-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Ol' Roy's assessment of this years Tar Heel team

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6184849/

Short write ups on each player along with quick and dirty stats.

Will Graves:

Over the years he has learned to slide his feet and I think he can be a really good defensive player as well.
I think he means 'He might actually play defense this year...'

David and Travis Wear must be one player with two heads as they are lumped together in Roy's mind

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
They are gonna be big.
We may block more shots than any team I’ve ever coached.

BlueintheFace
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
My Prediction: Ed Davis will lead the ACC in blocks

jesus_hurley
10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
They are gonna be big.

No doubt - a couple of 6'10" guys buried on the bench. But they might also be offensively challenged from the perimeter. If most of their points come from inside the paint they will go to the line a good bit, and If I'm not mistaken, the returning players are pretty bad from the charity stripe.

jv001
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
No doubt - a couple of 6'10" guys buried on the bench. But they might also be offensively challenged from the perimeter. If most of their points come from inside the paint they will go to the line a good bit, and If I'm not mistaken, the returning players are pretty bad from the charity stripe.

Yes they will be big this year, but so will we. And not having to face Hanstravel in the paint with that hop, skip, skip and jump asssures me that they will not be as good offensively in the paint. However they will probably block more shots this year. I agree that they cannot be anywhere as good on the perimeter with the loss of lawson, green and ellington. For the heels to be picked ahead of us, the media(tarhole media) must think we are going to miss Henderson and Williams more than they are; hanstravel, dancing danny, lawson and ellington. I don't see it. Go Duke!

airowe
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Yeah, they're pretty bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=153

Deon Thompson .646
Ed Davis .573
Will Graves .889
Tyler Zeller .765
Bobby Frasor .462
Larry Drew II .412
Marcus Ginyard .500

Graves and Zeller are solid, but neither of their starting (expected) post guys can shoot well. From what I saw of Henson at the Pro-Am, he can't shoot free throws to save his life. Graves would have lead the league in free throw shooting last year if he had enough attempts and stayed at that level. I just don't see him playing that much, but we'll see.

If these guys can't hit anything from the outside they're going to see a lot of zone and have trouble getting the ball to their bigs. If teams can keep them off the glass they're going to have a lot of trouble finding points unless one of the Freshmen steps up with some deep balls.

oldnavy
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I think it will be interesting to see if there is any backlash from the perception from everyone (tha is except the Holes), that Hansblah benefited from how the game was called around him. I doubt that there will be, but I will be watching closely to see if the refs call the Holes especially tight (travels, offensive fouls, not calling the flops, etc...) in the paint now that the golden one is gone. You know, call Zeller, Davis and Thompson like Zoubek has been called; pivot move = travel, drop step = charge....

jimsumner
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
"Deon Thompson .646
Ed Davis .573
Will Graves .889
Tyler Zeller .765
Bobby Frasor .462
Larry Drew II .412
Marcus Ginyard .500 "

Frasor graduated.

Lots of size on both teams. Zoubek, Thomas, Singler, two Plumlees, Kelly, and Czyz on one side, Thompson, Zeller, Davis, Henson, and two Wears on the other. Could be a war of attrition.

Kedsy
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
"Deon Thompson .646
Ed Davis .573
Will Graves .889
Tyler Zeller .765
Bobby Frasor .462
Larry Drew II .412
Marcus Ginyard .500 "

Frasor graduated.

Lots of size on both teams. Zoubek, Thomas, Singler, two Plumlees, Kelly, and Czyz on one side, Thompson, Zeller, Davis, Henson, and two Wears on the other. Could be a war of attrition.

True, but if our frontcourt can play their frontcourt even, I like our guards better than theirs.

oldnavy
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I saw Coach K today on ESPN saying that Singler is going to play "totally on the perimeter" so if you include Singler as a front court player then I think we have the advantage. He is going to be a nightmare for whoever they put on him since he is playing outside in. I can't wait to see how he does this year.

verga
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
for the first time in 3/4 years, i really have a great feeling about this years team. I agree that Ed Davis will be a star for unc but i'm not ready to concede anything to the heels. I like who we have playing for us this year (next year i will really be happy) and i think we have some players who will have breakout years (Nolan/ Mason are you listening?) We haven't heard anything about Olek, i hope he isn't what a lot of people claim (not ACC material) but instead a diamond in the rough. I don't need for K to prove anything, if he hasn't by now, well you must be living in a foreign country. So bring on unc and the rest, the boys from the Methodist Flats will be waiting.