PDA

View Full Version : GoDuke broadcasts

mgtr
10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but it looks as though this year that GoDuke will provide video of the Blue-White scrimmage, but only audio of the exhibition games. I thought in previous years they provided video of the exhibition games as well. If my understanding is correct, then I would be a fool to subscribe to the video for $10 a month, and only get the BW scrimmage in video (unless I want to see high jumping or something else which I do not). Am I incorrect in my analysis?

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but it looks as though this year that GoDuke will provide video of the Blue-White scrimmage, but only audio of the exhibition games. I thought in previous years they provided video of the exhibition games as well. If my understanding is correct, then I would be a fool to subscribe to the video for $10 a month, and only get the BW scrimmage in video (unless I want to see high jumping or something else which I do not). Am I incorrect in my analysis?
Their video package is far from worth money. I would be more inclined if they broadcast more sports live, like women's basketball. The interview videos they show are readily available on wral.com. Even if they did include the exhibitions, I would not be willing to pay for it. I do get the audio subscription, very handy if you are on the road and have no radio/tv available.

Gargoyle
10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
in letting the public know what's available from GoDuke. If you click here:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1605274&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

it indicates that:

"LIVE video for the Men's and Women's Basketball Blue-White Scrimmages and Exhibition Game" will be available.

But, if you go here:

http://www.goduke.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&&&DB_OEM_ID=4200

it indicates that no video events will be available.

I do not understand why Duke puts such a low priority on making the fan base aware of what is going to be available. Who would pay for video if no events are going to streamed? Not only is Duke giving up a revenue stream, it is irritatitating the very people who want to support the teams.

Gargoyle
10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I just misspelled irritating in my prior post. How do you go about editing a post to correct errors?

Gargoyle
10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I just noticed that Go Duke Inside Access has now listed the men's B/W scrimmage and the Pfeiffer and Findlay exhibitions as televised events.

sagegrouse
10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
I just misspelled irritating in my prior post. How do you go about editing a post to correct errors?

You have about ten minutes to go back and edit. I, for one, have found that typos magically appear when a post is submitted that I swear were not there previously.

The other trick is hit "Preview Post," especially if you are using quotes or other stuff that isn't obvious in the native format.

If you make a mistake in the Title of the message, you are out of luck. The best thing to do is send an e-mail to a friendly mod (there are one or two:)).

Point 3 is also the right response if the edit period has expired and you feel that an edit is still required. I wouldn't worry about misspelling "irritating;" most of us can spell; we just can't use a keyboard properly.

sagegrouse

mgtr
10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the update on games. For $10 for 3 games (counting B/W as a game), I believe it is worth it, particularly after having been deprived of MBB since spring!

Greg_Newton
10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I just noticed that Go Duke Inside Access has now listed the men's B/W scrimmage and the Pfeiffer and Findlay exhibitions as televised events.

Does anyone know if video of the B/W game will be available to view after-the-fact, either on the subscription plan or not?

BlueintheFace
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
DO NOT pay money for the video. DO NOT!!! It is disgusting that they charged money for that service last year as it worked less than half the time.

mgtr
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Bad video is better than no video at all. I had the service last year, and I agree that it wasn't worth $10. But, some of us are slow learners.

homebre
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Bad video is better than no video at all. I had the service last year, and I agree that it wasn't worth $10. But, some of us are slow learners.

Call me cheap-- but for the price that Duke charges for tickets and parking and all the games are sold-out anyway, I feel that they should at least have the audio if not the video as a free feed on their website. This is especially true since the radio on WDNC is so poor at night. I live 10 mile from Durham and can barely pick it up at night. Alternatively, they should allow alumni to view the games for free. I just cannot get used to having to pay to watch your local teams.

mgtr
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Fortunately, essentially all the regular season games are on broadcast TV. So, the only real issue is the B/W scrimmage and the two exhibitions.

FireOgilvie
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
DO NOT pay money for the video. DO NOT!!! It is disgusting that they charged money for that service last year as it worked less than half the time.

I was going to get it, but now I don't know. What was the problem last year? I feel like it might be worth it (if it works) because you get 3 games for roughly 3 dollars each.

Do the local radio stations cover the games like they do football? We can listen to football games for free on the internet...

Edit: I would definitely get the video package if I could watch the games afterward and not have to rely on the live streaming video.

BlueintheFace
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I was going to get it, but now I don't know. What was the problem last year? I feel like it might be worth it (if it works) because you get 3 games for roughly 3 dollars each.

Do the local radio stations cover the games like they do football? We can listen to football games for free on the internet...

Edit: I would definitely get the video package if I could watch the games afterward and not have to rely on the live streaming video.

Let me put it this way. When I say DO NOT get it, I mean- "do not get it if you are prone to breaking things when you expect to see a Duke game and can't because of technical issues." Last year, 1.5 of the games were unavailable due to technical difficulties. I believe the service is JumpTv.

HOWEVER, if you are okay with paying 10$ for potentially off an on coverage of the three games and feel that this is better than nothing, then definitely do it. Also, they might have fixed the problems from last year, but I do not know.

As a customer, DO NOT get that service. As a Duke fan... you might want to get it.

airowe
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM

Not sure when the transfer of stations go through for Curtis Media to WRAL and still haven't gotten a solid answer on whether the basketball games will be carried on 620. I'm sure they'll be on the radio somewhere on the dial.

Regardless, the look inside the huddle from Matthew Laurence will be sorely missed as it doesn't appear there will be a replacement this year, if ever.

BlueintheFace
10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
After all my hooping and hollering, what do i do anyway? I spend the $10 after telling myself that it is just the cost of a sandwich and drink and I am DUKE FAN GOSH DARNIT!!!

What happens when I click on the Live Broadcast of tonight's events? It doesn't work. I hate myself sometimes...

terrih
10-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, the link is "working" for me but it doesn't take me to actual live games- to the Blue White, instead it is highlights and stuff that is neat, but not what I want to watch right now.

Very annoying. Hopefully they just haven't started yet, but I fear that isn't the case.

FireOgilvie
10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Well, the link is "working" for me but it doesn't take me to actual live games- to the Blue White, instead it is highlights and stuff that is neat, but not what I want to watch right now.

Very annoying. Hopefully they just haven't started yet, but I fear that isn't the case.

I thought that the actual "game" didn't start until later... 7:30? It's unclear from GoDuke. I haven't really seen a minute-by-minute schedule, just a general start time for everything.

I got the video package. I'm watching it in Internet Explorer so I don't take any chances with incompatibility.

It just started: 6:51 pm. I hear the announcer.

BlueintheFace
10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Now it's going with some videos... I hope the live quality is as good as this.

Greg_Newton
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
FYI, tip for the B/W game is 8:15PM EST... (two 12-min halves, 1-min halftime break). Dunk contest immediately following.

I suppose that means none of the actual game will be on ESPNU? Duke is supposed to get some of the 4 hours of MM coverage, but my guide indicates the coverage doesn't start until 8PM CST.

Info: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204805114

FireOgilvie
10-16-2009, 07:13 PM
FYI, tip for the B/W game is 8:15PM EST... (two 12-min halves, 1-min halftime break). Dunk contest immediately following.

I suppose that means none of the actual game will be on ESPNU? Duke is supposed to get some of the 4 hours of MM coverage, but my guide indicates the coverage doesn't start until 8PM CST.

Info: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204805114

Good to know. Thanks.

Some guy just won a game of knockout and his prize was a Duke jersey, but he was already wearing the exact jersey he just won. Funny.

micah75
10-16-2009, 07:14 PM

No way I'm spending ten bucks on this crapshoot. I would possibly consider spending 6 or 7 smackeroos. But 10?? Nah. Noop, no can do. Wish they were showing this for free, or at most, 1 or 2 bucks. But hey, I'm not complaining. I will just pretend it's still baseball season for now. Phase zero, minus 10.

Ya know... everyone is saying that Nolan is the key this year. But I say that Miles is key. If he can put up 13 and 8, and his lil bro does his thang, (12 and 6) and Zoubs and Lance have monster breakout seasons, then I see a very deep run into the Final 4. Just my humble opinion.

BlueintheFace
10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Solid coverage of the event so far.

terrih
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
$10.00 for a month of coverage. As a Duke fan on the West Coast, I will pay/have paid for it.

Random coverage is better than no coverage at all. So excited it is season time!

Kedsy
10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Ya know... everyone is saying that Nolan is the key this year. But I say that Miles is key. If he can put up 13 and 8, and his lil bro does his thang, (12 and 6) and Zoubs and Lance have monster breakout seasons, then I see a very deep run into the Final 4. Just my humble opinion.

There were only 10 or 11 guys in the whole ACC who put up 12 and 6 last year. I don't have the exact stats in front of me right now, but there were maybe 5 guys in the league who put up 13 and 8.

It's possible one of the Plumlee brothers will be a top 10 big man and go 12 and 6, although it's far from likely. The idea that the other one will also be a top 5 big man is stretching the bounds of believability.

zingit
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
This is my first time subscribing to Inside Access, and the video is working fine for me.