PDA

View Full Version : Arch-rival not the last game?

Mudge
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Pardon me for missing this earlier, if previously discussed, but why is Duke's football game with UNC not the final game of Duke's season, as per usual?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Pardon me for missing this earlier, if previously discussed, but why is Duke's football game with UNC not the final game of Duke's season, as per usual?
Because the powers that be didn't think we were worthy of the decades old tradition and they wanted a better match up for TV. The fact that we are now the better team must irritate the heck out of them. :D:cool::cool::cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Playing Wake Forest for the last game of the season may turn out to be very important this year.......

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
On the current schedule, Duke plays Carolina for their Homecoming on November 7. That would be a sweet one to steal! Could make up for not being the last game of the year.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-11-2009, 12:18 AM
On the current schedule, Duke plays Carolina for their Homecoming on November 7. That would be a sweet one to steal! Could make up for not being the last game of the year.
It's always fun to watch carolina Go To Hell! :D

loran16
10-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Because the powers that be didn't think we were worthy of the decades old tradition and they wanted a better match up for TV. The fact that we are now the better team must irritate the heck out of them. :D:cool::cool::cool:

Ozzie, the answer is hopefully different than this. Having UNC be the last game made sense in theory. But here was the problem, THE GAME WAS OVER THANKSGIVING.

Thus anyone who was from out of town was usually unable to go to the game (which helped UNC fill Wallace Wade). Now it's at UNC this year, but it is better off for the rivalry game to be at a time when DUKE STUDENTS can actually GO TO THE GAME.

It always frustrated me the last 4 years that i couldn't go to any Duke-UNC games.

El_Diablo
10-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Don't we have to actually beat UNC every once in a while to maintain the title of arch-rival?

In football, I think the NC State game is a much bigger deal for the 'holes, so they get to finish the season with them. It's not the first time it's happened....

blazindw
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM

If by "powers that be", you mean "UNC", you are absolutely correct. From what I've heard by keeping my ears to the streets, UNC had lobbied for the last few years to get our matchup moved out of the last game of the season because they didn't think we were worthy of being their main football rivalry (like we are in all of the other 20-something odd sports we both play). They went on TV with the whole "this allows fans from both teams to attend the game" thing. If it were totally that, it would make sense. Our fanbase traditionally is not centered in NC, while UNC and NC State's fanbases are. Yet, we are not the "little brother" rivalry like UNC views NC State. It was essentially a slap in our face by lobbying other schools to approve the change because we weren't good enough for them to be our last game. It's an even bigger slap in the face by having this game as their homecoming game.

This makes me want to drive back down there on November 7th and root our team onto victory at their own homecoming, just like we took care of business on their senior day on 11/20/2003, the first and only time I've ever viewed a football game inside that hideous stadium of theirs.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
In many ways, this is a new season, a different season than any in recent memory. Rather than waste energy over not playing Carolina at the end of the season, I'm focusing on the possibility of Duke winning the "triple crown"....... beating State, Carolina and Wake. We won the first of three yesterday.

No matter how you look at it, this is a new day!

Indoor66
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
In many ways, this is a new season, a different season than any in recent memory. Rather than waste energy over not playing Carolina at the end of the season, I'm focusing on the possibility of Duke winning the "triple crown"....... beating State, Carolina and Wake. We won the first of three yesterday.

No matter how you look at it, this is a new day!

It would be fun to be the Big Four champion for the first time in a loooooooong time.

killerleft
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
It would be fun to be the Big Four champion for the first time in a loooooooong time.

You got that right! Plus, the way the Heels are playing, Duke vs. Wake may be the REAL game of the year for Duke anyway.:) Lots of business to take care of before November gets here, though.

RelativeWays
10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I believe Duke requested the change because of the Thanksgiving break. Having WFU is smart because we have a decent rivalry with them and they have a smaller fanbase than we do. Considering how they last 3 games with WFU have gone, I almost want to beat them more than UNC this year.

Johnboy
10-11-2009, 12:58 PM
This makes me want to drive back down there on November 7th and root our team onto victory at their own homecoming, just like we took care of business on their senior day on 11/20/2003, the first and only time I've ever viewed a football game inside that hideous stadium of theirs.

It just occurred to me that I've been to two Duke-UNC games in Kenan and Duke won them both - the first was the epic comeback in 1985 (or was it 1986?) and the second was the 41-0 beat-down in 1989.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to attend . . . I'm undefeated!

orrnot
10-11-2009, 09:04 PM
If you'll forgive my somewhat tortuous logic, consider that the fact that a Duke fan notices the change NOW is somewhat related to the fact that the change was made. In other words, if we, as fans/supporters/school took the game--and the team--more seriously, we might not have lost our claim to the rivalry. Yesterday's delight notwithstanding, NC State deserves the finale matchup with their biggest rival more than we do. Conspiracy theories and concerns about the inconvenience to disinterested students don't carry much weight against OUR failure to field a credible threat to the Heels.
The bright side to this curmudgeonly take is that I think things are changing. Don't miss out on it!

devil84
10-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Yesterday's delight notwithstanding, NC State deserves the finale matchup with their biggest rival more than we do.

I have to agree there. However, it seems tragic that NC State plays Duke at State over fall break and UNC at State over Thanksgiving. At least they got to play Wake at Wake while the students were there. I think State students got the shaft on this year's Big 4 "home" football games. What fun is a rivalry if the students can't be there to enjoy it? At least the majority of their students live in state, and might be able to drive to the games, but unlike the Duke game, the dorms will be closed for the UNC game.

The turnout wasn't bad for the Duke game, from where I sat at the top of the lower bowl of the student section, thanks to "student guest" tickets obtained by my son.

(*Full disclosure: both of my children attend NCSU)

El_Diablo
10-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I have to agree there. However, it seems tragic that NC State plays Duke at State over fall break and UNC at State over Thanksgiving. At least they got to play Wake at Wake while the students were there. I think State students got the shaft on this year's Big 4 "home" football games. What fun is a rivalry if the students can't be there to enjoy it? At least the majority of their students live in state, and might be able to drive to the games, but unlike the Duke game, the dorms will be closed for the UNC game.

The turnout wasn't bad for the Duke game, from where I sat at the top of the lower bowl of the student section, thanks to "student guest" tickets obtained by my son.

(*Full disclosure: both of my children attend NCSU)

:eek: They close the dorms during Thanksgiving? What about the kids who don't go home...?

blazindw
10-11-2009, 11:51 PM
:eek: They close the dorms during Thanksgiving? What about the kids who don't go home...?

Dorms are actually open during Thanksgiving...it's the amenities (food, post office, most Bryan Center stuff) that is closed. The dorms close for Winter Break. But, it's is usually well cleared out for the long weekend.

FireOgilvie
10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Dorms are actually open during Thanksgiving...it's the amenities (food, post office, most Bryan Center stuff) that is closed. The dorms close for Winter Break. But, it's is usually well cleared out for the long weekend.

They were talking about NC State.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-12-2009, 12:03 AM
If you'll forgive my somewhat tortuous logic, consider that the fact that a Duke fan notices the change NOW is somewhat related to the fact that the change was made. In other words, if we, as fans/supporters/school took the game--and the team--more seriously, we might not have lost our claim to the rivalry.
Well more than one of us discussed this change way back when the schedule came out, so no, I don't think we deserved to "lose" the rivalry last game status. We also made a big deal of it several years ago when the game wasn't televised for the first time in, well, since they started televising it. We will never return to those depths. Go Coach Cut!

Slackerb
10-12-2009, 11:36 AM
The easy answer is that in football, UNC isn't your arch-rival. NCSU/UNC are much more rivals in football, and thus, they have the last game.

shoutingncu
10-12-2009, 01:21 PM
It was essentially a slap in our face by lobbying other schools to approve the change because we weren't good enough for them to be our last game. It's an even bigger slap in the face by having this game as their homecoming game.

In fairness, didn't Duke win a lawsuit against Louisville with a similar argument?

killerleft
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
In fairness, didn't Duke win a lawsuit against Louisville with a similar argument?

In fairness.

That was pre-Cut. Now we're pre-cutting you a big ole frown to wear after we cut you up;).

shoutingncu
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
In fairness.

That was pre-Cut. Now we're pre-cutting you a big ole frown to wear after we cut you up;).

Oh, I'm afraid you'll butcher us... :)

(You and the Wolfpack, for that matter. Looks like we picked the wrong year to switch rivals)

CameronBornAndBred
10-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Looks like we picked the wrong year to switch rivals
http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/lb.bmp

State and unc just might deserve each other this year.