PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 49, NCSU 28

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Here is an injury update from WRAL (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/6165457/)

Safety Javon Walker (knee) and defensive end Jeff Rieskamp (hip) are out, and cornerback Rashard Smith (ankle) is listed as questionable for the game with Duke, N.C. State announced on Thursday.
Smith has started two games this season.

That's good news for us. They already are trying to tweak their pass defense, so having a starting corner questionable for the game won't make them any stronger in that category. I'm not sure if O'Brien was planning on starting him for the Duke game, but you'd have to imagine he would be in there at some point.
I think we are going to see a high scoring game with passing emphasized by both teams.

RelativeWays
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Big game for both teams for sure, NC State is trying to stay in the hunt for the Atlantic Division lead, Duke is still trying to find a consistant identity. I like Duke in this IF they can get State on their heels by a couple of early scores. Momentum wise,this could be the reverse of last year, where this time Duke plays loose and confident, State gets tentative because the sure win they thought they were going to get never materializes. If Duke plays the way they did against VT, only executing a bit better in the redzone and in secondary coverage, I believe we can win by 10, and I would not be shocked. Of course if September Duke shows up, NCSU can destroy us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
This Duke team has played better, improving week by week. Coach Cutcliffe and the staff have generally been doing a great job of preparing the team for each opponent. I think there will be some surprises tomorrow.

6th Man
10-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm going to the game to represent the Blue and White! Love to see the same effort against Va. Tech with a few improvements on 3rd down stops. Maybe a couple less OB kickoffs. Get a great effort against State, steal a win heading into a bye week with Maryland and UVA on the horizon. Who knows. Maybe we could get on a roll??? Am I an optimist or what?

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Get a great effort against State, steal a win heading into a bye week with Maryland and UVA on the horizon.
Sounds like a plan, have a great time at the game! I was very tempted to go to this game too, but needed a break from travelling. I did get my tix to watch us take home the victory bell, though!

6th Man
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
From the looks of your location CameronBornAndBred you deserve some rest. I'll do my part in Raleigh and you bring home the Victory Bell from Chapel Hill. I notice you post a lot on the football. I admire your support. While I am all things Duke, staying true to the football team takes true dedication. My wish is for all of us that have stuck with them through the tough times get rewarded with some great football in the coming years.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Why not us?

Why not now?

RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!!

allenmurray
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Reggie Love played football for Duke.
Obama hired Reggie Love.
Obama used, "Yes We Can" as a campaign slogan.
Obama won the presidency.

I see a trend here . . . Can we do it?

Yes We Can!

Bob Green
10-09-2009, 11:40 PM
A big day for our kick/punt returners would be nice:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/story/132915.html

Winning the field position battle is a good way to chalk up a victory. Johnny Williams, Conner Vernon, and Desmond Scott need to exploit the Pack.

devildeac
10-10-2009, 12:10 AM
A big day for our kick/punt returners would be nice:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/story/132915.html

Winning the field position battle is a good way to chalk up a victory. Johnny Williams, Conner Vernon, and Desmond Scott need to exploit the Pack.

This is a good article. I read it earlier today. Wish I had linked it from my desk here in Raleigh before you linked it from Japan:o. I hope we can exploit their secondary more than they exploit ours. A long KO return or three would be nice for a score and/or great field position.

chrishoke
10-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I'll be there screaming my head off. We need our defense to step up today!

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
My wish is for all of us that have stuck with them through the tough times get rewarded with some great football in the coming years.
I have no doubts we will, with the school and sports administrations seemingly behind the efforts on the field. If you are at the home games, swing by the brunchgate tent on Devil's Alley. We are expecting a pretty big tailgate crowd for the Maryland game.

Kimist
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Is there any way to watch the game online? I have no access to ESPNU.

k

RelativeWays
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I thought we had a good crowd vs VT last week, especially considering how close they are and well the fanbase travels. If we can pick up a win today, we should have a sizeable crowd for UMD. I can't wait. Even though we lost, last weeks game was a lot of fun.

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Something to consider as our game with State approaches...
Boston College is making Duke look very impressive..early second quarter the score is 24-0, VT is manhandling them.

DukeUsul
10-10-2009, 01:34 PM
BC gave up 34 to VT in the first half. 34-0.

killerleft
10-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Is State still a double-digit favorite?

I could perhaps see 2-4 points, but the Devils are not getting their due. I see this game as a toss-up, and wouldn't consider a Duke win an upset at all.

Big game for us. This is the kind of game we need to win to 1) prove we're getting better, and 2) impress some recruits.

Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 03:44 PM
2) impress some recruits.
Go Duke!
At this point, I'd put that as a prime. Good post, GO DUKE!!

SharkD
10-10-2009, 03:46 PM

k

Hopefully, someone will stream it via a slingbox...

For the time being, radio:

http://www.wsfl.com/streamer/streamer.html

SharkD
10-10-2009, 04:09 PM
There's a TV link on SnrubChat

SilkyJ
10-10-2009, 04:18 PM

k

Great quality streaming

http://linksadoor.com/live_tv/sports/ncaa_football/3706.html

Stray Gator
10-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm watching on ESPNU-HD. Great to see the Blue Devils in high-def, scoring two TDs in the first quarter; but when do the defenses show up? :rolleyes:

El_Diablo
10-10-2009, 04:55 PM
21-14 Duke! Nice pass to Boyette for the TD.

Greg_Newton
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Come onnnn guys. Baker shouldn't have even made it back to the line of scrimmage on that 3rd down, much less scored a TD.

chadlee989
10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
No more run plays. Pass every down

Greg_Newton
10-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Whoa. What was that play just there were the NC State player kicked it downfield???

chadlee989
10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
we got a chance to win this. Lets Go Devils!

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I swear when Boyette gets the ball he runs straight into the nearest defensive player. It's so painful to watch him run. Why is Scott not getting the vast majority of snaps? He's quick and elusive. Is he still injured or something?

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Touchdown! 97 yard drive.

YourLandlord
10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Brutal brutal special teams.

we are not athletic.

duketaylor
10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Most impressive drive!! I was wondering, how many conference wins do the seniors have? One, maybe two?

Greg_Newton
10-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Varner and Vernon are just playing like beasts today.

Thad has been incredibly accurate and has actually had great touch on his passes today. His numbers are going to be epic by the time this is through. I mean, 350+ passing yards and 4 total TDs... midway through the 3rd?

Now if only we can continue to clamp down on D and get it together on special teams...

EDIT: True freshman Connor Vernon YOU ARE A MONSTER!

I think we are watching a truly epic performance by Thad here.

duketaylor
10-10-2009, 06:21 PM
for both attmpts and completions by a Duke QB, he's putting up huge numbers.
34-43 for 404 yds and 4 TDs, monster game for Thad

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Roughing the kicker? No one even touched him. He took a dive. Ugh. Why would we even go after him with the lead and our offense looking the way it is? What a terribly stupid thing to do.

Oriole Way
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow, awesome recovery after the football touched an NC State player after the punt.

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow! What a pass! Simply stunning. 42-28 Duke.

Oriole Way
10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
HUGE TD on 3rd down. That's a play this program needs to make to win this game, and to take the next step.

YourLandlord
10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
damn we are looking good.

CBDUKE
10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Way to go Defense!! Let's keep it up.

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
HUGE stop on 4th and 1! Yes! We just need to take care of the ball now and get a few first downs.

duketaylor
10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm following on gamecast, it was 4th and 11, did we fake a punt and score, it didn't show anything on the computer? Great game for the Dukies!!

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:18 PM
On 4th down and 14 or whatever, we decided not to punt and instead kneeled down giving them the ball in good field position. I have no idea why we would do this when NC State is just going to start throwing towards the end zone from the Duke 40. Obviously Cutcliffe forgot what to do when you're winning a game by a comfortable margin. Luckily, we intercepted it in the end zone.

jlear
10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice win.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Duke 49 State 28 What a game!!!!

sagegrouse
10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
On 4th down and 14 or whatever, we decided not to punt and instead kneeled down giving them the ball in good field position. I have no idea why we would do this when NC State is just going to start throwing towards the end zone from the Duke 40. Obviously Cutcliffe forgot what to do when you're winning a game by a comfortable margin. Luckily, we intercepted it in the end zone.

Let's see. Suppose State scores on the first play. Then Duke needs only to kneel one more time.

Of course, State threw and interception on the 2nd play.

sagegrouse
'Feels great to win an ACC game, a road game, and a game against a Big Four team'

roywhite
10-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Wooo-hooo! What a win!

Great game, Thad Lewis, and his receivers!

Good job defensively in the second half. Congrats to Coach Cut and the team!

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Let's see. Suppose State scores on the first play. Then Duke needs only to kneel one more time.

Of course, State threw and interception on the 2nd play.

sagegrouse
'Feels great to win an ACC game, a road game, and a game against a Big Four team'

Let's say we punt and they score on the return. Then we kneel down. Why not try to put them in worse field position? The only reason was if he was afraid of injuring his punting team or something. I don't think that could be the case.

I've watched thousands of football games, and I've never seen it done like Cutcliffe did it.

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm about damn near in tears. Congrats to the team for one of the most amazing both-sides-of-the-ball performances that I have witnessed in an incredibly long time. Great win, GO DUKE!!!

CBDUKE
10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Why do we care what we did on fourth down. WE WIN!!

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Amazing win. The offense was nearly perfect for really long stretches of the game. I'm not sure if NC State is as bad as we made them look, but they couldn't do anything to stop us. Then they blew those two punts. If our defense plays like it did today for stretches (like the 4th quarter), we're going to be really really tough.

classof2016
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
What was the last time that the football team had 3 wins?

Duvall
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
What was the last time that the football team had 3 wins?

Er, last year.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Let's say we punt and they score on the return. Then we kneel down. Why not try to put them in worse field position? The only reason was if he was afraid of injuring his punting team or something. I don't think that could be the case.

I've watched thousands of football games, and I've never seen it done like Cutcliffe did it.

Up three scores, you would rather give them the ball on downs than let them run back a punt, recover the on-side . . . .

GREAT win. Just think how good Thad would be if he were taller. ;>)

Thad was great. O line was great. Defense got it done in the second half.

Great coaching, great execution, great win.

classof2016
10-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Er, last year.

Oh wow, sorry for such ignorance

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Up three scores, you would rather give them the ball on downs than let them run back a punt, recover the on-side . . . .

Punt it 30+ yards down the field out of bounds. Even if you blow the kick and they return it for a TD, it's going to take 12 seconds. If you give them the ball and let them just take shots down the field, that's going to take the same amount of time. They're going to do an onside down 14 if they score via punt return or via hail mary. I just don't understand why you give them the field position and immediately put them in a position to score again.

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh wow, sorry for such ignorance
That's ok...none of last year's, including the ACC romp over UVA, was as important as this victory is. We dominated a respected team that was expected to win, in an ACC game, at their place. Today is huge in our progress.

dukejim1
10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Burn Benches

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Thad had a career game. According to ESPN he threw for 462 yards, 5 TD, 0 Ints. Amazing! He's the QB on the "Weekly Leaders" section of the ESPN college football scoreboard.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Punt it 30+ yards down the field out of bounds. Even if they return it for a TD, it's going to take 12 seconds. If you give them the ball and let them just take shots down the field, that's going to take the same amount of time. They're going to do an onside down 14 if they score via punt return or via hail mary. I just don't understand why you give them the field position and immediately put them in a position to score again.

Or a blocked punt. Or an injury.

Bottom line: game's over. Get to the end without anyone getting hurt.

I assume that's what Cut was thinking, at least.

I see your point, and would not have been surprised if we did that. But you could also see Cut talking to the ref, basically telling him to stop starting the clock so quickly. He knew the game was over and wanted to take it to the house.

wolfpackdevil
10-10-2009, 07:43 PM
The O-LINE is to thank for this win.

NC State has one of the best Defensive lines in the ACC, and the young and inexperienced duke offensive line gave Thad tons of time, and kept Willie Young and Alan-Michael Cash out of the backfield.

GO DUKE!!

2 weeks till Maryland!!!!

Richard Berg
10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Cutcliffe just said it was the finest QB performance he's ever had as a coach. Pretty nice compliment when you consider the household names he's had in the past...

EDIT - gave a shout out to the band & cheerleaders too. Classy guy.

DukeDude
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Thad had a career game. According to ESPN he threw for 462 yards, 5 TD, 0 Ints. Amazing! He's the QB on the "Weekly Leaders" section of the ESPN college football scoreboard.

Sensational win and the best game of Thad's career! We are back "on serve" for the season, so let's go on and get bowl eligible.

RelativeWays
10-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Sensational win and the best game of Thad's career! We are back "on serve" for the season, so let's go on and get bowl eligible.

Baby steps. Our next 3 games are winnable, but they are losable as well. Duke needs to really attack UMD in two weeks. Right now, rest up, heal up and get better!!!!!!!

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Baby steps. Our next 3 games are winnable, but they are losable as well. Duke needs to really attack UMD in two weeks. Right now, rest up, heal up and get better!!!!!!!

MD is getting pounded by Wake Forest right now. UVA destroyed Indiana today, which doesn't mean that much because IU is terrible, but I think UVA is improving. Should be fun to watch.

PDDuke85
10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Older people tend to reflect. When I was a fairly young Phys Asst student at Duke, I attended, with my wife and visiting family members, the Thursday PM Duke-State game in 1984. I recall an amazing comeback culminating in a winning touchdown pass from Bennett to Militello. (if memory serves correct). The play of the game was when a student, being passed over head by others, was dropped by my Aunt Betty. Fast forward. The joy from this victory today surpasses what we all experienced in 1984. Great win by Coach Cut and the boys. Let this be the signature win that propels our program to great things.

Let's Go Duke!

RelativeWays
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
What I'm glad most of is that the team was able to follow up last weeks pretty impressive performance against the number 5 Hokies with a solid win against NC State. This should do wonders for the teams moral and cohesion. They need to build even more, but they should enjoy this.

Newton_14
10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Way to go boys! Great job by players and coaching staff alike. This is the biggest win to date in the Cut era and hopefully the first of many more to come!

At halftime you had to figure one team would make adjustments and figure out how to get stops. Very glad to see it was the good guys in blue to do just that!

All around great win. Special kudos to Thad for a record breaking day. I am excited about the rest of the season as I think the team has made great strides and continued to get better week to week!

Let's Go Duke!!

wolfpackdevil
10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
MD is getting pounded by Wake Forest right now. UVA destroyed Indiana today, which doesn't mean that much because IU is terrible, but I think UVA is improving. Should be fun to watch.

you are exactly right. And just letting everyone know, Maryland's pass defense is worse than NC State's. We will most likely see another 300+ pass yard game for Thad.

The game at Virginia will be tough, because they are playing very well. Duke does play well at UVA, but the hoos have won 2 straight, and given up only 10 points in 2 games.

And then at Carolina is always fun.

But we need to focus on the task at hand, which is getting everyone healthy in the next week and then preparing like crazy for the Terps and picking up another W.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I think Bob Harris said that the defense allowed State only 74 yards in the second half. WOW!

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2009, 08:10 PM
One thought to the Lewis naysayers, calling for the early annointment of Sean Renfree. Renfree will be Duke's future, enjoy the present while you can. Tonight was amazing.

DukeSean
10-10-2009, 08:10 PM
But we need to focus on the task at hand, which is getting everyone healthy in the next week and then preparing like crazy for the Terps and picking up another W.

Exactly, let's get everyone back to 100% (I'm thinking Hollingsworth) and get ready to rock MD.

Great win, was VERY nice to be able to watch in HD, at home. Sure beats Gamecast

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 08:12 PM
The next game is October 24 in Wallace Wade Stadium. If you haven't bought a ticket yet, go online and buy one now. Let's pack the stadium and create a magnificent blue out!

alteran
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm following on gamecast, it was 4th and 11, did we fake a punt and score, it didn't show anything on the computer? Great game for the Dukies!!

If you're referring to the final touchdown-- and I didn't SEE this I heard it on the radio-- Duke in fact punted, the ball bounced and went off the leg of an NC State player, and Duke recovered the ball in the end zone. Touchdown Duke. There was a review and the play stood.

Unbelievable. God I wish I had ESPNU.

DukeUsul
10-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Wooooooooooo Devils!!! Thank you Thad! Man I can't imagine how big we would have won if Thad were just a couple inches taller!

DukeSean
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM
The next game is October 24 in Wallace Wade Stadium. If you haven't bought a ticket yet, go online and buy one now. Let's pack the stadium and create a magnificent blue out!

Amen to that one. Sometimes I wish I were still in Durham or at least closer by....but then again, sometimes I don't ;)

Kewlswim
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi,

Thad, thanks for hanging in there!

Did anyone see Thad flash that 1,000,000 dollar smile? I know I am not supposed to like one kid more than another (they are all Blue Devils on the team), but given what Thad had to go through (no dad) and how lots of kids give up (Thad has taken a super duper beating out there)...I just want him to do well.

I will reiterate, I want the best QB to play and if that means Thad sits, it means Thad sits. I am just super happy for him and the team.

These last two weeks the team has looked competitive, ready to play, and capable of playing at a high level.

GO DUKE!

airowe
10-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The Duke crowd at Carter-Finley was impressive and loud. Very good showing by our fans. I was on the sidelines and at times our fans were louder than the Pack's.

Thad set a school record with 40 completions and a career best in yards with 459.

That was a complete team game. You could tell our guys carried confidence from the VA Tech game.

In the post-game presser Thad said the State D did exactly what they game-planned for and he knew what guys would be open and where they should be. Well-coached, well-played game. I almost wish we had a game next week to carry this momentum forward, but at least we can get some guys healthy.

Go Duke!

dukeENG2003
10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
HUGE win. After the game, when the team came up to the Duke section in the corner, I couldn't help but think it felt like when I was in the Georgia Dome in 1999 after winning the ACC championship. It made me feel that proud to see our boys play like that. Not only did we play a good game to win, we FINISHED the game strong. The two rows near me held up 4 fingers when the fourth quarter started, saying "this is our time" and it was. The fourth down stop, the two picks, thats how we finish a game.

I knew last week, even though it was a loss, that 4th down TD against VT was big; showing we could still finish strong. Our conditioning showed tonight. And Thad? WOW, just. . . wow. (for the record, I said after the Army game that I hoped Cut kept That as our starter).

hurleyfor3
10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
This is progress.

(dukeEng2003: The '99 ACC Tournament was in Charlotte. The '01 tourney was in Atlanta. Which one do you mean?)

dukeENG2003
10-10-2009, 10:05 PM
'01, my bad, thats the one I was at. Result was the same for both though :)

6th Man
10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Just got back from the game. After seeing all of the Duke games except (NCCU) the progress of this team is tremendous. I give much credit to the coaching staff. The o-line started the season pretty bad and they did a tremendous job today against State's defensive line. The execution on offense was amazing. Thad was brilliant. Conner Vernon is an amazing freshman. All of the State fans around me were comparing him to Wes Welker. Good comparison. I think Desmond Scott will be great. Our future looks very promising. Congratulations DUKE! Now everyone come out to Wally Wade in 2 weeks in your blue and let's get Maryland.

killerleft
10-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow, that sure tasted good. Now for some Turtle Soup!

Thad looked like a mixture of the best of Bennett, Dilweg, Brown & Dunn today. Most important, both the offense and defense helped us win a biggie.

This team really deserves a full house for the Terps. And it would sure be nice if the students could tear themselves away from the Tailgate 30 minutes early and help give us a real college atmosphere.

Don't miss the fun!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I got a last minute ticket offer from Chris Edwards, who's dad played at Duke back in the late 70's/early 80's. Fabulous! Just a fabulous game!

I'm posting a couple of pictures below. Carter Finley Stadium did its best Wallace Wade Stadium imitation - the fans gave up and left, down only 14, with 8 minutes to go. Unbelievable.

In the top left picture, the guy in the red shirt is giving me the finger. Don't know why his hand disappeared in the picture! Self editing cell phone camera? I don't think so!

chrishoke
10-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Ozzie, I saw you at the game. My wife and I were in section 30 row BB.

Very, very sweet and satisfying win!

Thank you team and coaching staff!

Duke84
10-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Older people tend to reflect. When I was a fairly young Phys Asst student at Duke, I attended, with my wife and visiting family members, the Thursday PM Duke-State game in 1984. I recall an amazing comeback culminating in a winning touchdown pass from Bennett to Militello. (if memory serves correct). The play of the game was when a student, being passed over head by others, was dropped by my Aunt Betty. Fast forward. The joy from this victory today surpasses what we all experienced in 1984. Great win by Coach Cut and the boys. Let this be the signature win that propels our program to great things.

Let's Go Duke!

I was at that game - but wouldn't it have to be in '83, as Bennett and Militello both graduated with me in May '84? I seem to remember it as a big deal because it was a TV game - but I was also locked in a death match with 5 friends who vowed to bring a fifth of liquor to every game and not leave Wade until it was empty. So my memory may be foggy.

My friends always bought bourbon, but I always bought rum - because you could empty half of a rum bottle making rum and cokes for girls. The other guys had to mostly empty thir own.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Amen to that one. Sometimes I wish I were still in Durham or at least closer by....but then again, sometimes I don't ;)

What's your calendar like for November 14? The Ramblin' Wreck will be in Durham.... could be a good game!

sagegrouse
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Highly original, of course:

1. Coaching matters. That was the most innovative and effective Duke offense since the Spurrier era.

2. When your QB is hot -- and he scarcely missed a throw all day -- anything is possible.

3. Thank heavens the defense showed up in the second half.

sagegrouse

graybead
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I was at the game and was amazed at the sportsmanship of most State fans. I had 10-12 fans shake my hand and say good game or congratulations. I had fun going back and forth with the fans around me the entire game. I have an increased respect for their fans and would much rather attend a game at NC State than at UNC.

What a game! We had amazing seats on the 45 yard line.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Highly original, of course:

1. Coaching matters. That was the most innovative and effective Duke offense since the Spurrier era.

2. When your QB is hot -- and he scarcely missed a throw all day -- anything is possible.

3. Thank heavens the defense showed up in the second half.

sagegrouse

Bob Harris said our defense held State to 74 yards in the second half.

The quality of coaching and preparation showed all day in how Duke played.... so did the team's great conditioning.

Austin Kelly, in particular, has improved focus and performance because he decided to change his diet and work outs before this season.

FireOgilvie
10-10-2009, 11:54 PM
I went back all the way to the 2002 season and couldn't find a game against a Division 1-A team where Duke scored 49 or more points.

We put up 49 against Division I-AA (I like the old system) NCCU earlier this year.

Things are looking up.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Ozzie, I saw you at the game. My wife and I were in section 30 row BB.

Very, very sweet and satisfying win!

Thank you team and coaching staff!
I was in Section 20, row HH. Basically, I was on the 42 yard line at about the same distance from the field as I am in WW. Great seats!

I just watched the WRAL sports, and when Jay Jennings was doing his report from the State sideline, they showed a shot of the fans filing up the aisle. That's me in the blue shirt, as in the picture above - same scene, different angle! :D

duketaylor
10-11-2009, 12:43 AM
simply awesome. I was at work and followed it as best I could on espn.com

An aside, has the ACC every had a football game where both teams combined for 100 points, right now GT and FSU are well into the 90s with 4 mins left, amazing? Back to the game.

Wow, GT got to the FSU 6 leading 49-44, under a minute and took the knee to win. FSU loses again.

watzone
10-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Complete Thad post game audio - http://bluedevilnation.net/

Vincetaylor
10-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Complete Thad post game audio - http://bluedevilnation.net/

Thad Lewis had the best performance I've ever seen by a Duke football player...one of the best I've ever seen by a Duke athlete. It is simply amazing the difference Cutcliffe has made to the program. Mind boggling really...Please join the band wagon now because we cannot afford to lose him!!!!!!

PDDuke85
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Duke84,
You're spot on correct, my bad. It was '83.

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Did anyone see Thad flash that 1,000,000 dollar smile?
If you attend any home games, be sure to watch the Devil's Walk. Thad is the one with biggest smile. He has a great attitude before, during and after games, win or lose.

dukelifer
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Having watched my share of Duke games over the years in which they have led against quality opponents, I was waiting for the moment when Duke would lose its confidence- make a key mistake and then lose it at the end. When State ran the kickoff for a touchdown- I thought here we go again. But then Duke came back and scored and then State made the mistakes, Duke made a key stop and the game was over. Confidence is a huge part of sports. That starts with the coach. This Duke team is played with great confidence and if they can keep it up - who knows. Lewis played as good as one can play - and showed great touch on many of his passes. The kid has battled his whole career - has taken his knocks- but not get down on himself. No one deserved to have a great game like this more than he did. He will remember this one forever.

davekay1971
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM

He sucks. I can't figure out why Cutcliffe isn't starting Asack over him.

GADevilFan
10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Simply put, a great win.

cspan37421
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
From the DBR homepage writeup: "One final note: we take no particular pleasure in beating State, since we have always liked State and seen them as our second team. "

Well, speak for yourselves! (ha ha - I know they do). I take considerable pleasure in it, myself. Beating them, or anyone, frankly. And if there was one team in the ACC I would think of as my second team, it would not be NCSU, it would be WFU. They're much more similar in size, funding, and academic selectivity to us than NCSU, or any other ACC team for that matter. JMO.

Seeing Thad have such a great day takes some, but not all, of the sting out of disappointment for the Devil who wears Orange.

jimsumner
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
"I was waiting for the moment when Duke would lose its confidence- make a key mistake and then lose it at the end."

For me the defining moment was after the roughing-the-kicker penalty gave State another possession. This is where a Barry Wilson-Goldsmith-Franks-Roof team gives up a touchdown and falls apart.

Instead, the defense goes out and forces another punt.

New sheriff in town.

Johnboy
10-11-2009, 01:03 PM
"I was waiting for the moment when Duke would lose its confidence- make a key mistake and then lose it at the end."

For me the defining moment was after the roughing-the-kicker penalty gave State another possession. This is where a Barry Wilson-Goldsmith-Franks-Roof team gives up a touchdown and falls apart.

Instead, the defense goes out and forces another punt.

New sheriff in town.

Excellent post, Jim!

The one play drive resulting in a State touchdown, then the kickoff return after the 97 yard drive resulting in a State touchdown, then the roughing the kicker - all of these made me think "here we go again".

I love that we were able to recover so well from every mistake, and that last recovery - the defense immediately forcing State to punt - made this game feel like a turning point game to me. I'm giddy about this win!

New sheriff in town, indeed. Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I was waiting for the moment when Duke would lose its confidence- make a key mistake and then lose it at the end.
I think even more noteworthy is the fact that we continued with a high pressure offense. Even Cutcliffe remarked on the attitude of the coaching staff in the fourth quarter, that they were to "play to win". So often we have seen our coaches become conservative (Cut is guilty, too). Yesterday, that was not the attitude and it was refreshing and fun to watch.

killerleft
10-11-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/10/11/article/duke_backs_up_tough_talk

I'm sure some of you remember this. After the State loss last year, State's O'Brien was talking about them winning the "state championship". Coach Cutcliffe said, "They better do their chirping now."

Last night, a reporter reminded Cut of the quote, and he replied, "Was I right?".

We've been missing that attitude for way too long.

The newprint N-R has a great photo of Coach Cut hugging soph Matt Daniels (apparently after we wrapped up the game). Nelson Kepley is the photograper. I didn't see it in the online version.

DukeSean
10-11-2009, 03:43 PM
What's your calendar like for November 14? The Ramblin' Wreck will be in Durham.... could be a good game!

Let's see...a couple papers, some reading, an exam...

JaMarcus Russell
10-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I watched the game on ESPNU last night, and it was a lot of fun to watch. Thad Lewis was great, and it seems like Cutcliffe has designed a great passing attack for this team. The best part is that a lot of the receivers will be coming back next year. It's hard to believe that a guy like Conner Vernon is a true freshman. If Renfree continues to improve over the next year, I can see this being a very competitive team over the next 2-3 years. A fine nucleus is already set in the skill positions on offense, and if the defense and O-line can continue to improve, Duke may even make a small bowl game this year.

Bob Green
10-11-2009, 06:39 PM
The best part is that a lot of the receivers will be coming back next year.

All of our receivers will be coming back next year. Austin Kelly is a junior, Donovan Varner and Johnny Williams are sophomores, Conner Vernon and Tyree Watkins are freshmen. At tight end, Brett Huffman, Brandon King, and Danny Parker are all juniors.

roywhite
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
All of our receivers will be coming back next year. Austin Kelly is a junior, Donovan Varner and Johnny Williams are sophomores, Conner Vernon and Tyree Watkins are freshmen. At tight end, Brett Huffman, Brandon King, and Danny Parker are all juniors.

I was also impressed with Desmond Scott; he can be a real weapon. Not a power runner, but really moves well and can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. If he catches the ball with some room to run, he can make people miss. Love the way the receivers can run after the catch. The Duke offense is starting to really click.

watzone
10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Here is a seven minute audio portion from today's Q & A with Coach David Cutcliffe - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/10/bdn-audio-coach-cutcliffe-talks-about-the-ncsu-game-and-more-during-his-sunday-q-a/

roywhite
10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Here is a seven minute audio portion from today's Q & A with Coach David Cutcliffe - http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/10/bdn-audio-coach-cutcliffe-talks-about-the-ncsu-game-and-more-during-his-sunday-q-a/

Thanks for that, watzone.

Pretty neat to hear that the Mannings continue to follow Coach Cut very closely, and stay in touch with him. Apparently both Archie and Peyton watched the game and sent a message of congratulations to Coach after the game. Eli also has kept up with his former coach.

Greg_Newton
10-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Conner Vernon might be my new favorite player. I love his confidence/attitude. It seemed like he was just tossing defenders off him and breaking tackles right and left, pretty impressive for a true freshman.

A win over UNC would be even more enormous now. Gotta imagine it would do wonders for in-state recruiting to be the "top dog" of the triangle schools for a year...

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Conner Vernon might be my new favorite player. I love his confidence/attitude. It seemed like he was just tossing defenders off him and breaking tackles right and left, pretty impressive for a true freshman.

A win over UNC would be even more enormous now. Gotta imagine it would do wonders for in-state recruiting to be the "top dog" of the triangle schools for a year...

"Triple crown" could take on new meaning this year!

Bob Green
10-11-2009, 10:01 PM

The updated ACC stats (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/confldrs.html) are out and Vernon is 2nd in Receptions per Game, 4th in Receiving Yards per Game, and 6th in All Purpose Yards. That is indeed impressive.

Gargoyle
10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Winning against NCS was important to the team and the fans, but, perhaps just as important to recruits.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/blogpost/6198735/

OZZIE4DUKE
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Winning against NCS was important to the team and the fans, but, perhaps just as important to recruits.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/blogpost/6198735/

SSS High School is about 300 yards from my house. (SSS = Smithfield Selma Senior) I watched Josh Snead play 3 weeks ago and the man is quick, strong and can run! This article is in today's N&O http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/138913.html
He has gained roughly 95% of SSS's yards this year and scored 24 out of their 26 touchdowns this year, with 10 scoring plays over 20 yards!

I met his mom and dad at the game I went to. They are delightful and she is a pistol, and will be a lot of fun in Wallace Wade as she watches her son play for the next 4 (or 5) years!