PDA

View Full Version : Maryland preview

Olympic Fan
10-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Just one correction to DBR's preview of the Terps. In the article, DBR says that in late February, Maryland came close to North Carolina, losing by three.

Actually, on Feb. 21, Maryland BEAT UNC, 88-85, in overtime as Vasquez had one of the great triple-doubles in ACC history (35 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists ... that's the most points scored in a triple-double in ACC history).

They also beat national title game runnerup Michigan State in November, routing the Spartans 80-62.

Plus, they were the only ACC team other than Duke or UNC to win an NCAA game -- beating Cal in the first round before falling to Memphis.

whereinthehellami
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I can't think of a more blah team in the ACC. Maybe BC?

Olympic Fan
10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I can't think of a more blah team in the ACC. Maybe BC?

Actually, I can see the case for Maryland as the ACC's No. 3 team going into the season. I know somebody I respect who thinks BC will finish No. 3.

I think this will be a good season to judge coaches. Obviously injuries could play a role, but I see some good coaching races: K vs. Roy for the 1-2 spots in the league; then a real race for the 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 spots among Gary, Purnell, Hewitt (who has the most talent, I think), Gaudio, Greenberg, Hamilton and Skinner.

I think you can make a case for any of them in any of those 3-9 slots. I rank them by my respect for the coaches involved: Skinner, Purnell, Williams, Greenberg, Hewitt, Gaudio and Hamilton.

Another good race among the bottom three teams -- if Lowe, Haith or Bennett can get his team out of the bottom three, I would consider that a good coaching job.

Wander
10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Maryland has the best backcourt in the ACC, possibly by a very wide margin. I think Duke and UNC are being a little overrated this year based on their history. They do deserve to be the first two, but Maryland and maybe Georgia Tech are closer to the top of the conference than most people think (if you want to say that GT is always supposed to be closer to the top than most think, and they always disappoint, I won't argue it, they deserve to be doubted at this point).