PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky (was: Where should I eat...)

Billy Dat
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey folks -

I have a meeting in Raleigh tomorrow and am flying down from NYC tonight. I want to eat some BBQ. In my student days, I never ventured outside of Bullocks. I'd be happy to go there again, but if you guys think there's another spot on the Raleigh-Durham axis that deserves my gastronomic rapacity - please let me know.

Of course, I'll be making a trip to the Duke campus to stroll the grounds a bit so if any of the places you like are near Duke, all the better.

Thanks!

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I recently went to The Pit http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ in downtown Raleigh. I have never had better BBQ (and I have had A LOT of BBQ).

devilish
10-08-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/story/126850.html

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/story/126850.html

Only for lunch or an early dinner - they close at 6:00 PM (unless your name is Bono - then they will stay open later).

Billy Dat
10-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey guys - thanks.

I'll be in later than 6 so I've written down the info on The Pit and will try to make the journey. They're open until 10 so, unless there is a total travel meltdown, I should be golden. I took a quick look at the menu....oh baby!

I'll post a review ASAP.

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey guys - thanks.

I'll be in later than 6 so I've written down the info on The Pit and will try to make the journey. They're open until 10 so, unless there is a total travel meltdown, I should be golden. I took a quick look at the menu....oh baby!

I'll post a review ASAP.

The place is quite fancy by BBQ standards - it used to be an upscale restaurant. When you walk in and see it you'll think, "there is no way the Q will be any good in a place that looks like this". Don't be fooled by its lovely appearance. The sides are delicious as well. The sweet potato fries and collards I had were as good as the chopped pork BBQ. My brother had the ribs which were wonderful as well (though absent the sweet sauce that some folks desire). They also have a great selection of specialty draft beer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
The place is quite fancy by BBQ standards - it used to be an upscale restaurant. When you walk in and see it you'll think, "there is no way the Q will be any good in a place that looks like this". Don't be fooled by its lovely appearance. The sides are delicious as well. The sweet potato fries and collards I had were as good as the chopped pork BBQ. My brother had the ribs which were wonderful as well (though absent the sweet sauce that some folks desire). They also have a great selection of specialty draft beer.

Another indication of the quality of the food is the raves generated during Bobby Flay's visit.

devildeac
10-08-2009, 05:04 PM
From Ozzie:

My friend Ed Mitchell has won numerous national titles for his Q. I am so glad he has resurfaced. I miss his Mitchell's restaurant that used to be in Wilson, NC. (Like the Rat mentioned in the Status thread this morning, it succumbed to tax problems.) I'm looking forward to feasting on Ed's Q and ribs, along with DevilDeac and our lovely wives, soon! I think his ribs are even better than his Q.

I love beef brisket. I have a great recipe if anyone's interested (I got it from my brother). The most important thing about brisket, though, is don't eat it the day you cook it, eat it the next day. You cook it, slice it, refrigerate it overnight, and then reheat it and eat it. Don't know why, but it tastes much better that way, and is also more tender.

devildeac
10-08-2009, 05:13 PM
And another:

Devildeac and I heartily endorse Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh. If you scroll up a bit, you'll even find our reviews from last year.

Except that I have searched extensively and can't find the reviews that Ozzie and I posted.:confused:

Plus, Mrs. DD and I just watched the Bobby Flay Throwdown show when/where he had the "audacity" to challenge Ed Mitchell to a rib-cookin' contest in 3/09 IIRC and he lost mightily.:D

rthomas
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
If I were dying and I could pick only one place to get my final barbecue I'd pick Allen and Sons on Highway 86 outside of Chapel Hill. And I'd eat the 'cue and slaw until it was that time. That's all I gotta say.

-jk
10-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Except that I have searched extensively and can't find the reviews that Ozzie and I posted.:confused:

By default, the vBulletin software doesn't index words with three or fewer letters. No "'cue". No "BBQ". No "The". No "Pit". Makes the search tough.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I recently went to The Pit http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ in downtown Raleigh. I have never had better BBQ (and I have had A LOT of BBQ).

Hey guys - thanks.

I'll post a review ASAP.

From Ozzie:

My friend Ed Mitchell has won numerous national titles for his Q. I am so glad he has resurfaced. I miss his Mitchell's restaurant that used to be in Wilson, NC. (Like the Rat mentioned in the Status thread this morning, it succumbed to tax problems.) I'm looking forward to feasting on Ed's Q and ribs, along with DevilDeac and our lovely wives, soon! I think his ribs are even better than his Q.

I love beef brisket. I have a great recipe if anyone's interested (I got it from my brother). The most important thing about brisket, though, is don't eat it the day you cook it, eat it the next day. You cook it, slice it, refrigerate it overnight, and then reheat it and eat it. Don't know why, but it tastes much better that way, and is also more tender.

And another:

Devildeac and I heartily endorse Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh. If you scroll up a bit, you'll even find our reviews from last year.

Plus, Mrs. DD and I just watched the Bobby Flay Throwdown show when/where he had the "audacity" to challenge Ed Mitchell to a rib-cookin' contest in 3/09 IIRC and he lost mightily.:D

By default, the vBulletin software doesn't index words with three or fewer letters. No "'cue". No "BBQ". No "The". No "Pit". Makes the search tough.

-jk
As I started reading this thread a few minutes ago, I thought "Devildeac and I posted reviews for this last year!" DD, thanks for digging them up! Billy Dat, I hope you got to eat at the Pit and enjoyed the heck out of it! I've always been partial to Ed's (baby back) ribs - best I've ever eaten!

juise
10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Here are your Pit reviews (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7388), guys.

(I did an advanced search for post by devildeac containing the word "slaw.")

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
If I were dying and I could pick only one place to get my final barbecue I'd pick Allen and Sons on Highway 86 outside of Chapel Hill. And I'd eat the 'cue and slaw until it was that time. That's all I gotta say.

I work only a few miles from Allen & Sons and pass it five days a week on my way to the office. Nothing smells better at 8:00 in the mroning (Tuesday through Friday - he closes on Monday). But, I no longer go there for supper. The last few times I tried, the 'Que was very dried out and it was obvious that the day had taken its toll. Keith Allen starts cooking early, cooks once a day, and by supper time the BBQ is no longer at its best (sort of like me, I guess!). For the mid-day meal it is still the best on the face of the earth. At dinner time it is a real disappointment.

Jarhead
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Tradition no longer lives here. First we lose the PPB, and then we have a BBQ thread with the title, "Where should I eat BBQ in the Triangle tonight?" What has happened to Duke vs Kentucky threads that taught us all about good barbecue?

Billy Dat
10-08-2009, 11:48 PM
I arrived at The Pit around 7PM. I wasn't able to consult this thread after I departed for the airport around 2PM so any additional advice was not heeded...but it likely wasn't needed.

I ordered the combo plate with the pulled pork and chopped pork plus the mac and cheese and beans as sides.

The cue was delicious. I found that I prefered the chopped with the sweeter, heavier sauce and the pulled with the vinegar-based sauce. I can also attest that the little biscuits and hush puppies they trotted out after I ordered were very good. The sides were just fine - they say that the beans are award winning but, after that build up, I thought they were good but not mind blowing.

I don't get back here that often which is too bad as your reviews now make me wish I'd gorged and added some ribs to the order. Such is life...I'll just have to find a way to make it back.

Thanks for all the help, gang. You did me right!

JG Nothing
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Only for lunch or an early dinner - they close at 6:00 PM (unless your name is Bono - then they will stay open later).

Of course, if you go to Bullocks, you can see a photo of "U2, a band from Ireland."

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2009, 12:25 AM
I arrived at The Pit around 7PM. I wasn't able to consult this thread after I departed for the airport around 2PM so any additional advice was not heeded...but it likely wasn't needed.

I ordered the combo plate with the pulled pork and chopped pork plus the mac and cheese and beans as sides.

The cue was delicious. I found that I prefered the chopped with the sweeter, heavier sauce and the pulled with the vinegar-based sauce. I can also attest that the little biscuits and hush puppies they trotted out after I ordered were very good. The sides were just fine - they say that the beans are award winning but, after that build up, I thought they were good but not mind blowing.

I don't get back here that often which is too bad as your reviews now make me wish I'd gorged and added some ribs to the order. Such is life...I'll just have to find a way to make it back.

Thanks for all the help, gang. You did me right!

Glad to be of service! And very glad yoy enjoyed the Q!! It is very rare that I mislead people when it comes to a food/restaurant recommendation. :cool::D

And for future reference, this thread SHOULD have been titled "Duke vs. Kentucky Recommendation?"

Johnboy
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Tradition no longer lives here. First we lose the PPB, and then we have a BBQ thread with the title, "Where should I eat BBQ in the Triangle tonight?" What has happened to Duke vs Kentucky threads that taught us all about good barbecue?

It's criminal, I tell ya. :)

Channing
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
since we are on the topic of recomendations ... can the Atlanta crowd make any recomendations for Texas (beed) bbq in Atlanta? I really like Fox Bros, but am always looking for bigger and better.

hurleyfor3
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Jonboy and Jarhead: Done and done.

devildeac
10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Here are your Pit reviews (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7388), guys.

(I did an advanced search for post by devildeac containing the word "slaw.")

A sincere thanks for making the extra effort to do this.

ricks68
10-11-2009, 02:55 AM
since we are on the topic of recomendations ... can the Atlanta crowd make any recomendations for Texas (beed) bbq in Atlanta? I really like Fox Bros, but am always looking for bigger and better.

Lockhart is not anywhere near Atlanta, so you are SOOL.:(

(But I am sure you can find some outrageous Brunswick Stew there.)

ricks

ricks68
10-11-2009, 03:09 AM
I work only a few miles from Allen & Sons and pass it five days a week on my way to the office. Nothing smells better at 8:00 in the mroning (Tuesday through Friday - he closes on Monday). But, I no longer go there for supper. The last few times I tried, the 'Que was very dried out and it was obvious that the day had taken its toll. Keith Allen starts cooking early, cooks once a day, and by supper time the BBQ is no longer at its best (sort of like me, I guess!). For the mid-day meal it is still the best on the face of the earth. At dinner time it is a real disappointment.

One sign of a bad restaurant is inconsistency, usually based on making the decision to serve food that is definitely not up to par. I went to Allen & Sons a few years ago due to the recs from this board. It was absolutely terrible, and I will never go back. The 'cue was dried out, tough, stringy, and had a burned flavor. I went at around 4 o'clock. Now, I know why it tasted so bad. Good quality restaurants would never serve food like that and expect to have a positive reputation.

BBQ places in Texas would not last very long if they served food like that. Seriously.

ricks

Turk
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh. My. God.

On Friday, I found me some honest-to-Jesus, roll-me-in-dry-rub, baste-me-in-sauce, and send-me-to-heaven BBQ. Even better, this place is 5 miles from work, in a generic little strip mall on a four-lane highway in homogenized suburbs west of Philly.

Anyway, I had the "any two meat plate" and chose brisket and pulled pork, with sides of beans and mac-n-cheese, washed down with iced tea (must sweeten it yourself, and no Brunswick stew, but hey, we all have to make our sacrifices somewhere). Meat smoked over hickory and cherry, served in a paper boat with a thick piece of bread, and a sprinkling of dry rub seasoning over the top, but without sauce. Could see the smoke ring on the edges of both the beef and pork. Diners can sauce / mop to taste with three different tomato-based sauces: regular, hot, and vinegar. It's a BYOB. I need to come out here with Mrs. Turk and hit the ribs and / or chicken and / or sausage next.

http://jimmysbbq.com/cms/menu

Let me repeat: Oh. My. God.

devildeac
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Oh. My. God.

On Friday, I found me some honest-to-Jesus, roll-me-in-dry-rub, baste-me-in-sauce, and send-me-to-heaven BBQ. Even better, this place is 5 miles from work, in a generic little strip mall on a four-lane highway in homogenized suburbs west of Philly.

Anyway, I had the "any two meat plate" and chose brisket and pulled pork, with sides of beans and mac-n-cheese, washed down with iced tea (must sweeten it yourself, and no Brunswick stew, but hey, we all have to make our sacrifices somewhere). Meat smoked over hickory and cherry, served in a paper boat with a thick piece of bread, and a sprinkling of dry rub seasoning over the top, but without sauce. Could see the smoke ring on the edges of both the beef and pork. Diners can sauce / mop to taste with three different tomato-based sauces: regular, hot, and vinegar. It's a BYOB. I need to come out here with Mrs. Turk and hit the ribs and / or chicken and / or sausage next.

http://jimmysbbq.com/cms/menu

Let me repeat: Oh. My. God.

I hate you, Turk. Why didn't you discover this place about 2 years ago when we were staying a mile or two from there for a wedding. (jk about the hate part ;)) An even bigger advantage is that it looks like it's about 5 miles from Downingtown, home of the Victory Brewing Company and their fine assortment of high quality brews.:cool::D

Turk
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM
No worries, DDeac. It couldn't be helped; it wasn't an option then. Last time I was out that way, (3-4 months ago maybe?) the space had a Vietnamese restaurant that had been there for a long time. I happened to be running errands and glanced over and said "Whoa, Nelly!!" Good thing I was sitting at the stoplight or I might have caused a wreck with an abrupt, unsignaled, squealing-tires turn. :eek: