PDA

View Full Version : Visa (it's everywhere you want to be) except WW

brianl
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Not that this makes a whole lot of difference but my wife was kind enough to stand in line at the concession stands Saturday so I didn't miss any of the game.

When she returned she told me that they were not taking a debit card anymore with the exception of a new program called Duke Dollars (or something to that effect).

Does anyone know why the change? My memory may be fading but I thought most major cards were accepted at WW last year.

budwom
10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Nothing that happens at the hapless Duke concession stands surprises me. I've never seen slower, more inattentive service anywhere. No one cares. Just disgraceful.
Over on the East side, there was a long pre-game line at the major concession stand, with lots of Hokie fans patiently lined up. I watched for literally five or six minutes while five or six concessions workers puttered around, pointedly NOT waiting on customers. There had to be about 60 people waiting in 3-4 lines. Almost zero movement. Finally, as politely as I could, I walked to the front of the line, announced to the staff that their efforts were appalling and not at all up to Duke standards. "Let's have a sense of urgency around here, people, these nice Virginia Tech fans have been waiting patiently and you're not getting the job done."
Amazingly, this seemed to have sort of positive effect on them. But you know, it shouldn't be required....I didn't really want to be a butthole (I did try to be as polite as I could) but sometimes it's required.
Are the other concession stands as habitually hapless as this one (East side near Dick's Box) is???

allenmurray
10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Nothing that happens at the hapless Duke concession stands surprises me. I've never seen slower, more inattentive service anywhere. No one cares. Just disgraceful.
Over on the East side, there was a long pre-game line at the major concession stand, with lots of Hokie fans patiently lined up. I watched for literally five or six minutes while five or six concessions workers puttered around, pointedly NOT waiting on customers. There had to be about 60 people waiting in 3-4 lines. Almost zero movement. Finally, as politely as I could, I walked to the front of the line, announced to the staff that their efforts were appalling and not at all up to Duke standards. "Let's have a sense of urgency around here, people, these nice Virginia Tech fans have been waiting patiently and you're not getting the job done."
Amazingly, this seemed to have sort of positive effect on them. But you know, it shouldn't be required....I didn't really want to be a butthole (I did try to be as polite as I could) but sometimes it's required.
Are the other concession stands as habitually hapless as this one (East side near Dick's Box) is???

Yep. However, the one that sells made-to-order quesadillas (near section 11)is prompt, has good sevice, nice folks, and the food is good by stadium food standards. I've quit trying to go to the other concession lines. I buy bottled sodas from the folks who sell them on the concurse becase even if I preferred ones in cups with ice I'm not willing to wait up to 20 minues for one.

I do realize that they are often staffed by volunteers who do this as a fundraiser, but that his hardly an excuse. The DBAP does the same thing with great efficiency.

budwom
10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Indeed, some of what appear to be private vendors seem to be vastly more efficient than the large, evidently Duke-run stands.
The entire Duke gameday experience has required sextuple bypass surgery, and Cutcliffe and company have made a ton of progress. It was only a few years back when the gates to Wannamaker Drive (and the Iron Duke east side lots) were NOT EVEN OPEN two hours, sometimes even 90 minutes before gametime. Nice tailgating strategy, that. On several occasions we've had to call the Iron Dukes office to try get someone to open the gates. Disgraceful.
Next they went to work on parking. A few years back, the guys "directing" parking seemed to be trying out for a zombie movie. Just horribly disorganized. Now they seem to be getting a better grip on things. Not great, but much, much improved.
So hopefully they'll continue to make progress. To some it may appear silly that we focus on such things (e.g. the squalid Midnight Express bathrooms of yesteryear) but Cutcliffe wants our crowds to grow, and it's tough to draw in more fans when the gameday experience is lacking. Last year the concessions stands ran out of water during several games, including the Sahara-esque Navy tiff...just absolutely disgraceful, especially when you consider that bottled water doesn't spoil, so there's ZERO excuse for not having a bountiful supply on hand.

J.Blink
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I miss the barbecue... I think it was a church or civic group that ran the stand? (close to the main entrance and where chickfila is)

Not sure why they are no longer here, but it was always popular.

allenmurray
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I miss the barbecue... I think it was a church or civic group that ran the stand? (close to the main entrance and where chickfila is)

Not sure why they are no longer here, but it was always popular.

It was a sunday school class from a local chruch. They had really good fried chicken too.

devil84
10-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Allenmurray is right -- many of these vendors are really non-profits working as a fundraiser. It would be very helpful to take note of the slow concession stands and pass that along to Duke -- the concessions manager, the Iron Dukes (if you're an Iron Duke), and the AD, and anyone else who will listen. Most of those that are staffed by volunteer organizations have a sign identifying them. If you can't find a sign, they're probably Duke hires or contractors.

I've been a part of a volunteer group that staffs 2-3 stands at the DBAP each game and just about half of the events at the RBC Center. I can tell you that both entities, but particularly the DBAP, are excellent at passing along any complaints (of which we've had just a handful over the last several years). The complaint rate is what gets groups moved out or moved into prime spots, and it's how my organization will be running the two toughest stands next year in the DBAP.

Maybe it works the same way at Duke. If nobody complains, the people that make the decisions about concession stands may think that everything's fine. I know that I've stood in line both at WW and Cameron thinking, "geez, if our group was this disorganized or unwilling to provide service, we'd be out of here." And then I never complain. I think I will, particularly if WW has really suffered (haven't yet been able to make it to a game this year).

And back to the brianl's original point...we can't pay by credit/debit card anymore? Geez, who carries that much cash? I sure don't, or my teenagers sniff it out and find all kinds of reasons to need it! Guess I won't be buying as much from the concession stands if that's the case.

allenmurray
10-07-2009, 02:07 PM
And back to the brianl's original point...we can't pay by credit/debit card anymore? Geez, who carries that much cash? I sure don't, or my teenagers sniff it out and find all kinds of reasons to need it! Guess I won't be buying as much from the concession stands if that's the case.

I think, but I'm not sure - I didn't check it out closely - that you can buy "Blue Devil bucks" with credit/debit cards and then use them at any concession. The reasoning might be that it will make things move more quickly (once everybody gets used to the new system). The hand-held credit/debit things they used to use were notorious for breaking down (one put a charge for $7000 dollars instead of $7 on my AmEx card last year and I spent the entire 3rd quarter of a game getting it straightened out).

Indoor66
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I think, but I'm not sure - I didn't check it out closely - that you can buy "Blue Devil bucks" with credit/debit cards and then use them at any concession. The reasoning might be that it will make things move more quickly (once everybody gets used to the new system). The hand-held credit/debit things they used to use were notorious for breaking down (one put a charge for $7000 dollars instead of $7 on my AmEx card last year and I spent the entire 3rd quarter of a game getting it straightened out).

Heck, Allen, I would have thought you would have just paid it and made a contribution to a worthy cause....:D

allenmurray
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Heck, Allen, I would have thought you would have just paid it and made a contribution to a worthy cause....:D

Or at least use it to buy a portable aardvark toenail trimmer. ;)

Lid
10-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Our local elementary PTA staffs one of the stands as a school fundraiser. (There's no sign for the school, so be wary of assuming the people with whom you're irritated are trained professionals!) I haven't worked this year, so I was also taken by surprise that you can no longer use credit cards directly. My understanding is the same as the PP: that you can buy Blue Devil Bucks with cards, which should theoretically speed up the actual lines. I've had the handheld card readers break down on me many times, requiring me to hand-enter all card digits, which is a huge time sink.

I don't know how it works at other stands, but when I've worked concessions, we're hustling hard until at least halfway through the 2nd half, but the lines are always enormous. (I'll never forget the student who came to buy 12 bottles of water on 12 SEPARATE Duke cards.) The volunteer groups don't control what/how much food (or water) is in the stand, and how many lines are available. I wonder if the newly renovated stand by the Bassett Drive lot is any better than the old ones? There's definitely room for basic efficiency improvements in the setup. All the volunteer groups can really control is their own attitude and energy level; they should definitely be held accountable for that, but they can't do much about the need for redesigned flow in the back, or machines that don't work. Just an fyi.

pbc2
10-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I used the new stand before the VA Tech game and there was no line. That being said, I did not see what it was like at halftime or during the game. It is a very nice stand, but it seemed empty inside to me. Also, if there was a line, I am not sure where it would go, since the concession stand faces the Sports Medicine building.

I agree that the handheld machines were terrible for processing credit cards and DukeCards. However, most major venues accept credit cards and are able to swipe them directly on the register. Particularly in the new concession stands, I would think this system would work. The Blue Devil Bucks program seems too complicated and confusing. How am I supposed to know how much food and drink I am going to purchase over the course of a game or a season? Plus, having to stand in two lines and go to two separate places to purchase a soda seems excessive.

juise
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Are the stands also taking Schrute bucks and Stanley nickels? I've got a surplus of those and have had a hankerin' for some Chick-fil-A (we don't have them in Oregon anymore).

DU82
10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I used the new stand before the VA Tech game and there was no line. That being said, I did not see what it was like at halftime or during the game. It is a very nice stand, but it seemed empty inside to me. Also, if there was a line, I am not sure where it would go, since the concession stand faces the Sports Medicine building.

I agree that the handheld machines were terrible for processing credit cards and DukeCards. However, most major venues accept credit cards and are able to swipe them directly on the register. Particularly in the new concession stands, I would think this system would work. The Blue Devil Bucks program seems too complicated and confusing. How am I supposed to know how much food and drink I am going to purchase over the course of a game or a season? Plus, having to stand in two lines and go to two separate places to purchase a soda seems excessive.

There's two open sides for vending, one towards the field (top of section 29) and a larger one facing the sports medicine building. Last game, the line at halftime extended almost to the SM building, and is tight. One stadium official left his golf cart in the way, and had to move people to get it out. (Hey guys, let's think a little, since it's those little things that add up!) The line moved a little bit faster than last year, probably because there weren't card transactions. One station on the long side wasn't open for business. I guess that volunteer group didn't have enough people show up. They could use some more "runners" and a little better trained people doing the ordering/accepting cash. But the kids in the stand were hustling, there was no slacking off at half time.

During the NCCU game, I was able to climb up from row V, get to the stand and buy a drink, and return to my seat, all during a media (radio) timeout.

Don't get me started on the parking "attendants" (ie, the hired guns wearing the yellow shirts/wind jackets.) Get out of your *-ing chair and help direct traffic and make sure the right people are turning into the lot.

DukeUsul
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I've been sitting in seats on the East (visitor) side for the ten years since I graduated. I've never had to wait more than a few people in line at the concessions over there.

Who actually goes to get food during halftime? Like DU82 said, you can run up, get your stuff, and be back during a timeout.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Having not been able to make it to the ATM on the way to Saturday's game, I was more than a little upset to find that the new concession stands, with their registers with built-in card readers weren't accepting credit cards.

I would suspect it's more due to the 3% that Visa charges to Duke for each transaction, than "convenience" for us fans.

If Duke isn't going to accept credit cards, then they need to place ATMs in the stadium. AFAIK, the nearest ATMs are in the Bryan Center, Perkins and Duke North/Duke South, all a heck of a hike from Wallace Wade in the middle of a game.

---

As for the handheld readers, a couple of years ago, when my fancy college degree and decade of specialized experience weren't enough to get me a job anywhere (I was, essentially, told I was younger than they were looking for at nearly every interview), I spent a couple of months working retail sales for a "boutique" Cupertino, CA-based computer outfit. They employ (ironically) a Windows-CE-based handheld point-of-sale device manufactured by Symbol. These units, usually model PPT8846, handled multi-thousand-dollar computer sales, were able to email and/or print receipts and never, ever had any problems in the four months I worked there. If Duke's permanent point-of-sale devices aren't adequate, they should look into the Symbol units.

budwom
10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I've been sitting in seats on the East (visitor) side for the ten years since I graduated. I've never had to wait more than a few people in line at the concessions over there.

Who actually goes to get food during halftime? Like DU82 said, you can run up, get your stuff, and be back during a timeout.

I described the East side, above. I never try to get food or drink at halftime. The braindead scene I described was more than a half hour before kickoff, when my friend and I needed to stock up on water. Anyone who was on that line (there were 3-4 lines, actually) saw that there was essentially no movement for more than five minutes at a time. Simply woeful.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
These are the only mentions of "Blue Devil Dollars" on the Duke website:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3708559
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204763125 They promote the "BD$" as being aimed at large groups and families who don't want to give their elementary-age kids real cash. Nowhere does it state that they won't take credit cards on gameday.

So, who do we complain to?

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
These are the only mentions of "Blue Devil Dollars" on the Duke website:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3708559
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204763125 They promote the "BD$" as being aimed at large groups and families who don't want to give their elementary-age kids real cash. Nowhere does it state that they won't take credit cards on gameday.

So, who do we complain to?

Which makes no sense at all because losing 7 or 8 "Blue Devil bucks" is the exact same as losing 7 or 8 one dollar bills. In fact, I think it is probably even worse. My 10 year old knows that a $1 is worth $1. Wehn I give him a few to go get a snack he holds onto them tightly. Something that looks like play money or a coupon is probably more likely to be lost/forgotten by a kid.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Curious, I looked at GoDuke.com's Wallace Wade gameday policies page (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&ATCLID=1178945), to figure out if there were any ATMs in the Stadium, interestingly it says:
ATM Machines

There are no ATM machines inside Wallace Wade Stadium. However, the stadium concession stands and merchandising areas do accept credit cards. (emphasis added)

So, I decided to call the number listed for Blue Devil Concessions, which operates the permanent stands in WW and CIS. I spoke to Ken Blevins, Manager of Concessions at Duke, who was quite courteous, apologetic and, at least over the phone, seemed to share my frustration at the lack of credit card processing at the concession stands, stating that the policy decision at Duke was made at a level above him.

He told me that new federal laws prohibiting wireless transmission of sensitive financial data necessitated the elimination of credit cards as a form of payment at Wallace Wade and that longstanding Duke policies prohibit the placement of ATMs within Athletic Department Facilities.

He also said that the Blue Devil Dollars program was an attempt to work around the new federal guidelines, and that the three BD$ kiosks were all they could manage, given that they require a wireline telephone connection to process the card data. He also said that the BD$ card should be accepted at CIS and all the on-campus stores/vendors, but that the card balance is not refundable.

I'm not thrilled, but at least it's an answer as to why.

That said, I'm curious why the massive new concession stands didn't include any provision for wireline data, when the vast majority of the campus is wired for Cat6 data and VOIP. I'm also curious whose decision it was to go the BD$ route, rather than retrofit some copper data lines and how we can go about encouraging them to re-evaluate that plan, as according to Ken, it sounds like it's causing headaches as they prep Cameron's concessions stands.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I spoke to Ken Blevins, Manager of Concessions at Duke

and that longstanding Duke policies prohibit the placement of ATMs within Athletic Department Facilities.

There used to be a couple of ATM's in WW. One was located near the western breezeway under the press box/DUPAC center. I had previously been in the ATM business and was surprised to see an "indoor" type machine in an "outdoor" location, where wind driven rain would not treat the electronics nor the delicate cash dispensing mechanism very kindly. They disappeared about 3 years ago. There was even one in Cameron, but only for a year or two.

Indoor66
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't understand the difficulty of planning to have adequate cash to pay for purchases at games - whether WW or Cameron. My boys would get cash to buy what was allowed and would go get it. It is part of the process of growing up. Cash may not be popular with this crowd, but is still the coin of the realm.

allenmurray
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't understand the difficulty of planning to have adequate cash to pay for purchases at games - whether WW or Cameron. My boys would get cash to buy what was allowed and would go get it. It is part of the process of growing up. Cash may not be popular with this crowd, but is still the coin of the realm.

I agree completely. However, if you arrived for the game expecting things to be the same as they were in previous years, only to then find that they no longer took credit cards, nor were there ATM machines available, it would be a pretty big inconvenience (though it is not all that far a walk to the Brian Center, where there are plenty of ATM's). This should be a case where after the first time it really shouldn't be a problem.

SharkD
10-08-2009, 04:30 PM

My wife took all the cash out my wallet on her way to work on Saturday (she's an oncology nurse at Duke Hospital), the babysitter arrived 45 minutes late and I didn't have time to hit the ATM on the way to the stadium (there's no drive-through BoA's on the north side of Durham).

Indoor66
10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
My wife took all the cash out my wallet on her way to work on Saturday (she's an oncology nurse at Duke Hospital), the babysitter arrived 45 minutes late and I didn't have time to hit the ATM on the way to the stadium (there's no drive-through BoA's on the north side of Durham).

Ask your wife about the 5 P's.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I carry a minimal amount of cash. I much prefer to use my credit card (which gets paid off in full every month). I get cash rebates, from 1 to 5%, depending on the card and the type of purchase. If I want to buy a shirt or a hat at a game, no way I'm spending cash. They don't want my business via a credit card, then I don't want the item from them. I'll buy it some other time somewhere else.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I purchased some Duke clothing at the game Saturday and used my American Express card to pay. There was no problem of any sort with the transaction.

DU82
10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
From GoDuke.com (found this looking for the diaper bag policy in another thread)

ATM Machines

There are no ATM machines inside Wallace Wade Stadium. However, the stadium concession stands and merchandising areas do accept credit cards.

Kimist
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
....He told me that new federal laws prohibiting wireless transmission of sensitive financial data necessitated the elimination of credit cards as a form of payment at Wallace Wade and that longstanding Duke policies prohibit the placement of ATMs within Athletic Department Facilities....

I'm far from being a rocket scientist (although I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in the past), but that sounds like a pretty weak argument.

One would think there should be some extremely simple means of encrypting the data, not unlike a home network arrangement. Also, it would be interesting to know how some other ACC football venues deal with this "restriction."

You should have asked him to consider what happens if "the children" suddenly convince their parents to buy them a couple of sweatshirts, posters, and hats and then the parents have only their Amex card with them. Sounds like that might be one of those "bottom line" considerations for the Duke bean-counters. :rolleyes:

k

devil84
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Very good point, Indoor66. One that I can't argue with, as I also like to give my children the independence of buying their own food.

I have two children -- both old enough now to have a credit card on our account. On our trips to WW/Cameron, each wants a $4 drink. One child doesn't drink soda, and goes to a different concession stand than the soda drinker. Because the ATMs dispense only $20s, on my way to Duke I need enough time to swing by an ATM to get a minimum of $40 out to be able to give each child their own bill. Why do I need $40 to cover $8 in transactions, particularly when they can pay for food themselves nearly everywhere else with credit?

Actually, a much more likely scenario is that we will be running a bit late as they finish their studies (they are both students at NCSU, where they don't need cash for day-to-day life), and we'll determine that we'd rather catch the tip-off in Cameron than drive out of our way to get to an ATM just to have refreshments at half-time. Cash is still the coin of the realm, but most of the realm has figured out the profits are better with plastic than coin.

For those of us that aren't thrilled with the new changes in concessions or game day policies, we can discuss it on this and other threads until the cows come home, and it won't make a difference. Goduke.com has the Athletics staff contact info, and the Duke Stores site has the concessions contact info. Talking to or emailing the powers that be -- AD, Concessions Manager, Iron Dukes Director (if an Iron Duke), Varsity Club (if a former athlete), these are all good people to contact to state a well-reasoned opinion.

Indoor66
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Very good point, Indoor66. One that I can't argue with, as I also like to give my children the independence of buying their own food.

I have two children -- both old enough now to have a credit card on our account. On our trips to WW/Cameron, each wants a $4 drink. One child doesn't drink soda, and goes to a different concession stand than the soda drinker. Because the ATMs dispense only $20s, on my way to Duke I need enough time to swing by an ATM to get a minimum of $40 out to be able to give each child their own bill. Why do I need $40 to cover $8 in transactions, particularly when they can pay for food themselves nearly everywhere else with credit?

Actually, a much more likely scenario is that we will be running a bit late as they finish their studies (they are both students at NCSU, where they don't need cash for day-to-day life), and we'll determine that we'd rather catch the tip-off in Cameron than drive out of our way to get to an ATM just to have refreshments at half-time. Cash is still the coin of the realm, but most of the realm has figured out the profits are better with plastic than coin.

For those of us that aren't thrilled with the new changes in concessions or game day policies, we can discuss it on this and other threads until the cows come home, and it won't make a difference. Goduke.com has the Athletics staff contact info, and the Duke Stores site has the concessions contact info. Talking to or emailing the powers that be -- AD, Concessions Manager, Iron Dukes Director (if an Iron Duke), Varsity Club (if a former athlete), these are all good people to contact to state a well-reasoned opinion.

I cannot agree. When I took my children to a game, it was not a momentary decision. It was planned. Part of that planning was adequate cash - in appropriate demoniations to allow the purchases planned for the game. If that would have required a trip to the bank or a stop to break bills, that was what was done. Planning is part of the child raising process.

devil84
10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I cannot agree. When I took my children to a game, it was not a momentary decision. It was planned. Part of that planning was adequate cash - in appropriate demoniations to allow the purchases planned for the game. If that would have required a trip to the bank or a stop to break bills, that was what was done. Planning is part of the child raising process.

OK, the second scenario I noted will then fall into play: as I swing by NCSU to get my kids and then come to Duke, we'll eat on the way. I don't pass my bank at all on any reasonable route, so we'll just skip the concessions. (Our bank is my husband's employer, and there is not a branch in the building he works in, so there's no possibility of changing banks nor is there a very convenient way to get cash -- and we have a parking pass, so no need for cash there). We're old enough to have planned ahead that we don't need to eat/drink until after the game. Is that the kind of "planning ahead" that Duke concessions really wants?

What about all those people coming to the game for the first time? Is there another venue in the area that doesn't take credit cards? I think it's a reasonable expectation that Duke would take credit cards if you can do so at State, UNC, Wake, Durham Bulls, and Hurricanes games. People that I hang out with just don't carry cash much anymore. I take out less than $200 cash per year, and most of that was to pay for things at the high school, like t-shirts, group dinners, etc. I no longer have high schoolers, and I haven't taken out cash since my youngest graduated five months ago.

While I understand that planning ahead is required for parenting (and life in general), I think that Duke Concessions' profits will be affected if they expect that those who want to buy concessions have cash in their pocket (Devil's Bucks or whatever they're called isn't a solution after I've stood in line to find out that I have to go get coupons and stand in line again). That's just not how business is transacted anymore. Especially when they took credit cards in previous years so people may come to the game expecting that they could pay with credit. (It says they can on the web site).

allenmurray
10-09-2009, 09:51 AM

And so is spontaneity. Actually, Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

The bigger issue here isn't one of parenting styles (of which there can be more than one that is acceptable), or people's ability/propensity to plan. It is an issue of customer service. There are certain retail establishments that I frequent because of their excellent customer service, and others I avoid because of their lousy customer service. If Duke no longer wants to offer a variety of payment options, or go to the trouble and expense to make ATM machines convenient, that is their decision. But it is a decision that takes away choices and conveniences that have become a standard part of the retail marketpalce. They are within their rights to lower the standards of customer service they had held to in the past - but that is precisely what they are doing. If/when it costs them money they will make changes.

Indoor66
10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
And so is spontaneity. Actually, Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

The bigger issue here isn't one of parenting styles (of which there can be more than one that is acceptable), or people's ability/propensity to plan. It is an issue of customer service. There are certain retail establishments that I frequent because of their excellent customer service, and others I avoid because of their lousy customer service. If Duke no longer wants to offer a variety of payment options, or go to the trouble and expense to make ATM machines convenient, that is their decision. But it is a decision that takes away choices and conveniences that have become a standard part of the retail marketpalce. They are within their rights to lower the standards of customer service they had held to in the past - but that is precisely what they are doing. If/when it costs them money they will make changes.

Spontaneity also requires preparation to complete the spontaneous activity. You don't go to the beach without your bathing suit. Don't go to WW without adequate cash. Some places don't take American Express and some take only American Express, some places don't take credit cards. Get over it.

It is not the destinations responsibility to prepare for your lack of information or planning.

jesus_hurley
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Spontaneity also requires preparation to complete the spontaneous activity. You don't go to the beach without your bathing suit. Don't go to WW without adequate cash. Some places don't take American Express and some take only American Express, some places don't take credit cards. Get over it.

It is not the destinations responsibility to prepare for your lack of information or planning.

I think one of the points is that on the website it clearly states that you can use credit or debit cards. The athletic department needs to coordinate changes to the website with policy changes. More and more people are using the web rather then calling to find information. So in this case it is the destinations responsibility if they are providing false information to consumers

jafarr1
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM

I would think the destination would be interested in making the most money and creating a good experience for its customers. No, it's not their responsibility, but businesses that take that kind of attitude tend to hurt their chances for success.

(BTW, as somebody else pointed out, if somebody had done the research, they would have read that credit cards are accepted, so that point is completely shot. Even the Duke web site expects credit cards to be accepted.)

Given that Duke football is trying to cultivate a larger following, I would think that they would want the game day experience to be as enjoyable as possible. Otherwise, first-time spectators are going to leave frustrated and potentially not come back.

allenmurray
10-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Even when they say they take credit/debit cards? Do you suggest we go to events or businesses under the assumption that the proprieter gives out incorrect information? If I went go a restaurant for a meal, and the restaurant has always taken credit cards in the past, still advertise that they take credit cards, and I arrive to find that they were now a "cash only" establishment, is it my fault if I don't happen to have enough cash in my pocket to cover the meal? Perhaps, but I wouldn't go back.

If they say they take credit cards on the web site, and have a years long history of taking credit cards, how is it my lack of planning to arrive with the assumption that they take credit cards? Further, In an era where debit/credit transactions are the norm, not offerring that option is poor customer service. It is their right to offer poor customer service if they wish. But they shouldn't be surprised if their revenue goes down. And not offerring an option that you adverstise that you do offer is not just poor customer service, it is dishonest. I like to think that Duke athletics is committed to both honesty and good service.

Get over it.
Lovely tone - we used to try to be nice here :(

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
The ONLY restaurant that I willingly go to repeatedly that doesn't take credit cards is ... The Carnegie Deli. Cash only for diners. Of course, if you call in your order to have it shipped to you via FedEx, they will take your credit card so they have the accounts set up to do that. Last December, after our "home" game up there, when I picked up my "to go" order for my trip back home (delivering numerous "packages" to several of our most prominent posters), I talked them into taking my credit card since "I had called in my order" in advance. I hate paying cash for anything. I hope they take my credit card again on December 20th!

There used to be a steak house in Durham called Hartman's. They were cash only. I think they went out of business in the early 90's. I ate there once and never went back...

DU82
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Oz, if you're looking for a really good steak, take your cash to Peter Luger's, in Brooklyn just across the Williamsburg Bridge.

Anyway, looking at the Wallace Wade page on goduke.com, it appears we haven't changed ADs. Come on guys, that's almost two years now! There's really no excuse for that. The Cameron one is four years old, too, but at least they reference that some of it came from "Home Court - Fifty Years of Cameron Indoor Stadium", although the math doesn't work (it mentions 66 seasons of play. Probably not from a book published in 1990.)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Oz, if you're looking for a really good steak, take your cash to Peter Luger's, in Brooklyn just across the Williamsburg Bridge.)
I grew up in Great Neck, and there is a Peter Luger's there on Northern Blvd. I have eaten there a time or two!