PDA

View Full Version : Deng Better Than James

Uncle Drew
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Everyone had Lebron James as the number one recruit out of high school with Deng 2nd or 3rd. Every annalyst said Deng had a HUGE upside due to the fact he was raw and hadn't been playing organized basketball very long. While Lebron James was already a polished accomplished player. After watching the Bulls last two playoff games I'm not sure Deng isn't as good as Lebron or very close. And what's scarey is Deng has a lot more room for growth where as Lebron seems to be making much slower strides. Sure the Bulls are much deeper than the Cavs. But Deng has taken over games in Chicago like no one since MJ and I think the rest of the league is taking notice. Next game out he's going to try and top Boozers 41 point game.

houstondukie
04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Deng could go for 100 next game, but there's no way he's better than Lebron.

Bluedog
04-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Everyone had Lebron James as the number one recruit out of high school with Deng 2nd or 3rd. Every annalyst said Deng had a HUGE upside due to the fact he was raw and hadn't been playing organized basketball very long. While Lebron James was already a polished accomplished player. After watching the Bulls last two playoff games I'm not sure Deng isn't as good as Lebron or very close. And what's scarey is Deng has a lot more room for growth where as Lebron seems to be making much slower strides. Sure the Bulls are much deeper than the Cavs. But Deng has taken over games in Chicago like no one since MJ and I think the rest of the league is taking notice. Next game out he's going to try and top Boozers 41 point game.

I'm not sure if you were being serious, but I assume you were. Deng has been fantastic this year for the Bulls, and I'm a huge fan of his, but saying he is better than LeBron is a joke. I'd also agree that Deng has a lot more room for growth. You might just be saying this because LeBron averaged "only" 27.3 ppg, down from last years' 31.4 ppg. He has put the team on his back in plenty games and puts up monster numbers all the time. LeBron also averaged 6.7 rebounds and 6.0 assists, he's just amazing. You don't become Rookie of the Year and a 3 time All-Star for nothing. He's also one of only three players since 1970 to record nine straight games of scoring 35 or more points (joining Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant), and one of only two players in NBA history to average at least 27 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists for three consecutive seasons (joining Oscar Robertson).

Sorry, but you can't compare the two.

dukeENG2003
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I think Deng CAN be as good as Lebron at some point, right now I see him as a better defender and rebounder, but outside of that, Lebron is a better overall player. Lebron is more explosive off the dribble, a better passer, and better at creating his own shot when he needs to. Neither of them are particularly good jump shooters, this is where they both could stand to improve, and where Luol, with his hard work ethic and raw talent, has a chance to catch up to him, his mid-range game was spectacular last night and if he can extend that further, his game off the dribble will improve dramatically as defenders start to get closer to him.

Its not really a fair comparison though, if Luol received as much defensive attention from opposing teams as Lebron did, you'd see just how impressive Lebron's numbers are in comparison.

greybeard
04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Best mid-range game I've seen; I'd say in years, but I don't think the qualifier applies. Haven't seen him much, but last night blew my socks off. He shoots with the ball held so high, soft, with the left guiding; off the dribble, and nobody can reach it. Reminds me of a bobby dandridge or bob love (sorry boys, I know, who are they) but with much greater length and range. He is so long.

Comparing him to James doesn't work. Deng fits into the game, works the game, plays it as part of a whole. James has to work at all that. His universe is himself; no, I am not saying selfish, and I am not saying that he doesn't see things. It's just so egocentric that, short of encountering someone like the Zenmaster when the Zenmaster was the Zenmaster, which he ain't anymore, James will always be the show, and the game will take work.

Deng will work on becoming ever more effective, which is pretty scary, but he flows so well. Soccer culture influence, if you ask me. And, man, is he long, and he has reinvented the mid-range game, which to me is perhaps the most interesting aspect of basketball.

I'd pay to watch him, just like I'd pay to watch Duke. James I'll watch on TV thanks.

dukeENG2003
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Best mid-range game I've seen; I'd say in years,

lets not get ahead of ourselves, Rip Hamilton has the best mid range game in the NBA IMHO, nobody knocks down that 15-18 footer more consistently. Give him a GLIMPSE of the basket, and its going in

Classof06
04-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Sorry, this argument does not work. I'm a Duke grad and from Cleveland, so I 've seen both players up close and personal on numerous occasions. Deng has a lot more room for growth, and will be an all-star VERY soon, but to compare him to LeBron is stupid. They have different roles, different games, and different skill sets.

But if we must compare the two, I would take Bron over Luol 11 times out of 10. And I absolutely love Luol. But the load LeBron carries in Cleveland is simply unfair. Literally. I'm obviously biased, but I still think he should've gotten MVP last year. That team had no business making it to within a rebound of the Eastern Conference Finals, but there's only one reason they did. As someone said earlier, let's see Luol get the kind of defensive attention LeBron gets. Better yet, if LeBron was on the Chicago Bulls instead of the Cavs (that thought alone makes me flatline), the Bulls would be the #1 seed in the East, IMO.

I'm ecstatic at the way Luol's begun the playoffs, but let's not get ahead of ourselves after two games. Need I remind you of the Cavs game in Chicago 3 weeks ago when LeBron dropped 39-9-5 on the Bulls? Guess who was guarding him for a good portion of the game? FYI, Luol ended that game with 12-6-2. Deng is teetering on the brink of being an NBA All-Star, Lebron is a NBA Superstar...

houstondukie
04-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Deng has yet to average 20 a game in a season. Lebron did it in his rookie year. I agree that Deng will be all-star soon, maybe even next year, but he's not on Lebron's level.

DevilWolf
04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Not saying that I agree with the first post because I don't, but ...

"You don't become Rookie of the Year and a 3 time All-Star for nothing."

Lebron was named Rookie of the Year and an all-star before his first game in the league.

CDu
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Not saying that I agree with the first post because I don't, but ...

"You don't become Rookie of the Year and a 3 time All-Star for nothing."

Lebron was named Rookie of the Year and an all-star before his first game in the league.

That's true, but he also EARNED those honors. And he wasn't an All-Star as a rookie, so he wasn't pre-ordained to the All-Star team.

And to whomever said Deng isn't a good jump shooter, you obviously haven't watched him this year. His 15-20 foot jumper is among the best in the league. Not THE best, but definitely among the best. So good that he scores almost exclusively on mid-range jumpers.

That said, as both a huge Duke fan AND a huge Bulls fan, LeBron is hands-down the better player. It's not close, either. LeBron is a better scorer. He's a better ballhandler. He has a better 3-point shot (Deng has no 3-point shot right now). He's a better passer. He's as good (if not better) at defense. He's a better leaper, he's quicker, and he's stronger. He's a better post-up scorer. He's the leader of his team and go-to guy. The only thing Luol has him beat in is that he's taller, and has a better 15-20 foot jumper.

Luol has more room for improvement, but I just don't think his ceiling is as high as the level of LeBron's game is RIGHT NOW. And that's not a diss of Deng. I love Luol, but LeBron is one of the top 4-5 players in the whole league. Deng is probably the third-best player on his own team right now.

greybeard
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
lets not get ahead of ourselves, Rip Hamilton has the best mid range game in the NBA IMHO, nobody knocks down that 15-18 footer more consistently. Give him a GLIMPSE of the basket, and its going in

Hamilton is a nice player who gets his shot off on the half step. Much of his game is that little curl play running off several screens.

Deng don't need no stinkin screen. He's so long, graceful, quick to the ball, and strong. Oh, did I say how long he playes.

Choosing up sides, who do you take?

johnb
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I'll take Lebron and Luol, and you can have Rip and Roy (Williams). Two on two. Losers retire.

dukeENG2003
04-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Hamilton is a nice player who gets his shot off on the half step. Much of his game is that little curl play running off several screens.

Deng don't need no stinkin screen. He's so long, graceful, quick to the ball, and strong. Oh, did I say how long he playes.

Its an awful hard choice between the two. If I'm trying to win NOW, I'll take Rip, he's got a deadly shot and the heart of a champion, but Deng has such tremendous chance for improvement its hard to not want him instead if you're building a franchise. Rip DOES turn 30 next year. Both are excellent defenders and great team players. I think I'll take the cowards way out on this question, and say "it depends on what my teams needs are". I DO think that this is a far more valid comparison (Luol versus Rip) than Luol vs. Lebron though.

JJweMISSu
04-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok how do you get Luol is better than LeBron even if you are looking at this post season

Luol- 1st game 33pts 8rebs 2 ast 2nd game 26pts 5rebs 6ast that averages out to 29.5pts 6.5rebs 4ast

While LeBron got 23pts 9rebs 7 ast. If you compare ok Luol has 6.5 more pts on avg but 2.5 less rebs and 3 less ast. and there is no way you can say you would take Luol over LeBron to score even if he is avergaing 6.5 more pts anytime.

Also CDu, i think i would choose these people i would choose over him IMO:
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Maybe T-Mac

so not top 5 but very close

greybeard
04-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Its an awful hard choice between the two. If I'm trying to win NOW, I'll take Rip, he's got a deadly shot and the heart of a champion, but Deng has such tremendous chance for improvement its hard to not want him instead if you're building a franchise. Rip DOES turn 30 next year. Both are excellent defenders and great team players. I think I'll take the cowards way out on this question, and say "it depends on what my teams needs are". I DO think that this is a far more valid comparison (Luol versus Rip) than Luol vs. Lebron though.

Well done. Going just what I saw in the two playoff games, I'd chose differently, at least I think, but, in the end, it probably would have to depend, you know, "on what my team's needs are." Did I say you wuzz real good?

dukemsu
04-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Both are unique players, but LeBron is potentially a once in a generation player. One area Luol is already way ahead (and I suspect always will be) is that he is a far superior defensive player to James.

Both players have a ridiculously high ceiling. LeBron's ballhandling ability and overall explosiveness (I've always thought of him as a Jordan/Magic hybrid with Dominique's leaping ability thrown in) put him in a different sphere, in my opinion.

dukemsu

kjo3444
04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Until I saw that you meant LEBRON James, and not NATE James.

greybeard
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Props, DukeENG2003, today on DC radio, Bernie Bickerstaff, when asked about Deng's game, went on at length comparing him to Rip, making exactly your points about Rip's game and attributing those same attributes to Deng.

CDu
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Props, DukeENG2003, today on DC radio, Bernie Bickerstaff, when asked about Deng's game, went on at length comparing him to Rip, making exactly your points about Rip's game and attributing those same attributes to Deng.

Yes, the Richard Hamilton comparison is very apt. Deng's game is a longer, younger, less proven, and less tireless version of Hamilton's game. Hamilton is in Reggie Miller's category of tirelessly running off screens. He's one of the most fit players in the league, so in that way they're different. Deng's mid-range game is certainly in Hamilton's league, though. And Deng doesn't have to work as hard to get his shot because he's so much taller (4 inches taller with a much longer wingspan) that he can shoot over people.

greybeard
04-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, the Richard Hamilton comparison is very apt. Deng's game is a longer, younger, less proven, and less tireless version of Hamilton's game. Hamilton is in Reggie Miller's category of tirelessly running off screens. He's one of the most fit players in the league, so in that way they're different. Deng's mid-range game is certainly in Hamilton's league, though. And Deng doesn't have to work as hard to get his shot because he's so much taller (4 inches taller with a much longer wingspan) that he can shoot over people.

There is another quality to Deng's game that I think is superior to Hamilton's. He doesn't hold the ball as long. Hamilton at times occupies the ball too long. Usually, he ends up trying to force something that isn't there, or just slowing the ball down.

Deng would fit better on the old Knicks, or the new Suns. I like that about him, and I think that it reflects an appreciation of the game that Hamilton might catch glimpses of, but devalues. The soccer influence I think.

phaedrus
04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Hamilton is in Reggie Miller's category of tirelessly running off screens. He's one of the most fit players in the league, so in that way they're different.

A magazine article I read a little while ago, touting Hamilton's fitness, said something like "Hamilton can run the same 5-minute mile he did in high school". which is indeed a very good mile time for a basketball player.

the funny thing is, roy williams claims half the carolina team is about that fit.

greybeard
04-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Hamilton shoots on an off beat, almost like regae dancing. Look at it carefully, his catch off the dribble, whether it is to pull up and shoot or take it to the basket seems to happen sooner than you'd expect. I have tried to see how he does it, whether he catches the ball lower off the bounce or something, but have never seen it. The fact remains, the ball is ready for release before defenders have settled their feet and elevated their hands. Uncanny. If anybody picks up on how he does it, I'd be interested. I do not think that quickness alone explains it.

A-Tex Devil
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
The guy whose game is a lot like Luol's is Kevin Durant. Tall, thin, freakishly long arms, good rebounder, can score from anywhere on the court, doesn't typically have the ball in his hands. I don't think you can compare Luol to LeBron simply because Luol will never be the point forward type guy that LeBron is.

If Luol had been on a team like Durant's UT team his freshman year instead of a loaded Duke team, we may have seen the same hype surrounding him coming out that we say around Carmelo and now Durant. Funny how being at Duke kind of lowered a guy's expectations.

VaDukie
04-28-2007, 01:36 AM
While we're praising Luol, I thought I'd link to this article Scoop Jackson wrote on Deng. If you haven't been watching him in the Bulls-Heat series, you are sorely missing out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070427&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

Clipsfan
04-28-2007, 10:39 AM
The guy whose game is a lot like Luol's is Kevin Durant. Tall, thin, freakishly long arms, good rebounder, can score from anywhere on the court, doesn't typically have the ball in his hands. I don't think you can compare Luol to LeBron simply because Luol will never be the point forward type guy that LeBron is.

If Luol had been on a team like Durant's UT team his freshman year instead of a loaded Duke team, we may have seen the same hype surrounding him coming out that we say around Carmelo and now Durant. Funny how being at Duke kind of lowered a guy's expectations.

Except that Durant probably has an all-around better offensive game that Deng. He can create his own mid-rage shot, take it to the hoop (against college competition), and can drain the outside shot out to 24+ feet. Deng has nowhere near the range that Durant has.

CDu
04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Except that Durant probably has an all-around better offensive game that Deng. He can create his own mid-rage shot, take it to the hoop (against college competition), and can drain the outside shot out to 24+ feet. Deng has nowhere near the range that Durant has.

Deng also doesn't have the postup game or the ballhandling ability of Durant.

SilkyJ
04-28-2007, 01:41 PM

I'd take Luol because of his height/length, and because of that, his versatility. He's a better rebounder, and plays the 2/3, and if you've been watching the heat series, the heat go small sometimes and skiles will move luol to the 4 to match up better. Rip only plays the 2, so i'd take luol for that reason. Both are great players, teammates, and just general good guys.

Uncle Drew
04-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Okay, I was being a little tongue in cheek when I said Deng is better than James. But I think we all know the Cavs were horrid before James and he has proven himself over and over again. But at the same time I think the Bulls may have actually gotten a better deal a year later in Deng. He cost them less and has meshed with the team better than throwing James in with Gordon. (At a cost of playing time to Duhon.) The Bulls REALLY screwed up trading Brand and I'd love to see what him added to the mix would look like. Ya gotta admit Deng has a huge upside we havent come close to seeing yet.
That being said I think the Cavs would be deadly if Boozer had stayed. I love seeing him score 41 points. But I wish the road to a championship for him wasn't paved with potholes and landmines. Since we are speculating I'll say this. If Boozer was still with the Cavs and Brand were still with the Bulls I see them battling it out for the eastern title.

CDu
04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay, I was being a little tongue in cheek when I said Deng is better than James. But I think we all know the Cavs were horrid before James and he has proven himself over and over again. But at the same time I think the Bulls may have actually gotten a better deal a year later in Deng. He cost them less and has meshed with the team better than throwing James in with Gordon. (At a cost of playing time to Duhon.) The Bulls REALLY screwed up trading Brand and I'd love to see what him added to the mix would look like. Ya gotta admit Deng has a huge upside we havent come close to seeing yet.
That being said I think the Cavs would be deadly if Boozer had stayed. I love seeing him score 41 points. But I wish the road to a championship for him wasn't paved with potholes and landmines. Since we are speculating I'll say this. If Boozer was still with the Cavs and Brand were still with the Bulls I see them battling it out for the eastern title.

James wouldn't be just thrown in with Gordon at the expense of Duhon. He'd play SF, just like Deng does, with Hinrich and Gordon in the backcourt. Deng hasn't affected Duhon's minutes, and neither would James. And I'm not sure what you mean about meshing with the team. LeBron's never had a problem meshing - he's just had a lack of talent around him. I actually think LeBron would be a BETTER fit with Gordon than Deng is, because James would command a double team, and his passing ability would get Gordon more open shots. Deng has a lot of upside, but his upside still isn't what James' level is NOW. As a Duke fan and Bulls fan, I'd take James over Deng in a heartbeat. With James, this year's Bulls team may be favorite for the title. With Deng, this year's team is just a team that will give Detroit fits but probably lose in 6 or 7.

As for Brand, yes, that was a terrible deal. As a Bulls fan, it still makes me angry to this day. Although, you don't know the long-term impact of the deal. With Brand and Curry, the team might not have been as bad for as long, and gotten the string of high draft picks that landed them Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, and Thomas and Sefalosha (the last two are rookie projects who appear to have a lot of potential). And in the long run, the Brand trade led to Krause getting fired and Paxson taking over, which is the best thing that has happened to the Bulls.

Uncle Drew
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
James wouldn't be just thrown in with Gordon at the expense of Duhon. He'd play SF, just like Deng does, with Hinrich and Gordon in the backcourt. Deng hasn't affected Duhon's minutes, and neither would James. And I'm not sure what you mean about meshing with the team. LeBron's never had a problem meshing - he's just had a lack of talent around him. I actually think LeBron would be a BETTER fit with Gordon than Deng is, because James would command a double team, and his passing ability would get Gordon more open shots. Deng has a lot of upside, but his upside still isn't what James' level is NOW. As a Duke fan and Bulls fan, I'd take James over Deng in a heartbeat. With James, this year's Bulls team may be favorite for the title. With Deng, this year's team is just a team that will give Detroit fits but probably lose in 6 or 7.

As for Brand, yes, that was a terrible deal. As a Bulls fan, it still makes me angry to this day. Although, you don't know the long-term impact of the deal. With Brand and Curry, the team might not have been as bad for as long, and gotten the string of high draft picks that landed them Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, and Thomas and Sefalosha (the last two are rookie projects who appear to have a lot of potential). And in the long run, the Brand trade led to Krause getting fired and Paxson taking over, which is the best thing that has happened to the Bulls.

Okay let me clarify, if I had the number one pick three years ago or in a couple months and James was available I'd pick him over any player in the NBA. (With the exception of MAYBE Kobe just knowing how good he is.) I like Lebron James a lot, I have autographed and game used jersey cards of his. The more he wins the more they are worth. So in a sense I have stock invested in his future.

As for Deng I have to say he has exceeded EVERY expectation I had for him to this point. Watching him play just the last two months I've seen moments where his game has just become scarey. He is at least five times as explosive as he ever was for Duke (unfortunately for we Duke fans) and his shot selection (laying off taking too many NBA 3's) has been phenominal. Unlike Football & Baseball I'm not a true fan of any NBA team, I base my loyalty on how many Duke players on the roster. (Go Clippers jk) If the Bulls had traded Deng for Gasol I'm not sure it wouldn't have been an even more stupid trade than the Brand trade.

As far as Duhon and playing time is concerned I have to admit I was shocked he made the team, yet alone the fact he is still getting minutes. That being said he plays smart (go figure a Duke player playing "smart") and he fills a role on the team to the best of his ability. At this point in their careers Deng is in a much better situation than James. If all I had to pass to was Gooden and Ilga....Illgau; the tall foreign guy, like James does I'd be pressuring the front office to get some good free agents. Making the playoffs with little or no success doesn't usually bode well when it comes to the draft.

One last thing, I think the Pistons will take the Bulls as well, but with Wallace in the mix and Deng playing at his present level I wouldn't bet $20 on it.

CDu
04-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Okay let me clarify, if I had the number one pick three years ago or in a couple months and James was available I'd pick him over any player in the NBA. (With the exception of MAYBE Kobe just knowing how good he is.) I like Lebron James a lot, I have autographed and game used jersey cards of his. The more he wins the more they are worth. So in a sense I have stock invested in his future.

As for Deng I have to say he has exceeded EVERY expectation I had for him to this point. Watching him play just the last two months I've seen moments where his game has just become scarey. He is at least five times as explosive as he ever was for Duke (unfortunately for we Duke fans) and his shot selection (laying off taking too many NBA 3's) has been phenominal. Unlike Football & Baseball I'm not a true fan of any NBA team, I base my loyalty on how many Duke players on the roster. (Go Clippers jk) If the Bulls had traded Deng for Gasol I'm not sure it wouldn't have been an even more stupid trade than the brand trade.

As far as Duhon and playing time is concerned I have to admit I was shocked he made the team, yet alone the fact he is still getting minutes. That being said he plays smart (go figure a Duke player playing "smart") and he fills a role on the team to the best of his ability. At this point in their careers Deng is in a much better situation than James. If all I had to pass to was Gooden and Ilga....Illgau; the tall foreign guy, like James does I'd be pressuring the front office to get some good free agents. Making the playoffs with little or no success doesn't usually bode well when it comes to the draft.

One last thing, I think the Pistons will take the Bulls as well, but with Wallace in the mix and Deng playing at his present level I wouldn't bet $20 on it.

Yes, Deng has done very well at the pro level. What has been most impressive about his game is his jumpshot. He has become one of the best in the league at the 15-20 foot jumper. If he ever develops the rest of his offensive game (post-up, driving, passing) he will join the NBA's elite. I have very high hopes for him, because he's so young, works hard, and has developed quite a bit despite injuries limiting his first offseason (when you develop your game).

And I agree that Deng is in a much better situation than James in terms of team competitiveness. My beef was only with the idea that the Bulls are better off with Deng than James.

As for the Bulls/Pistons series. I agree it will be close. The Bulls have played well against the Pistons this year, but Detroit seems to play better when it matters. I'd expect Detroit in 6/7, but wouldn't be surprised at all by Chicago in 6/7. Anything short of 6 games would surprise me.

Troublemaker
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
The Pistons on paper seem to match up really well with the Bulls with Billups and Prince, two very good defenders, perhaps being assigned to guard Gordon and Deng, respectively, and with that tandem being relied on so heavily by Chicago for points. Plus, Sheed/Webber are flat out just better scorers than Brown/Wallace that you have to give the overall edge to Detroit, unfortunately. The Pistons don't play with maximum effort every game, though, so I agree with CDu that the series should go 6 or 7. The Bulls should cause Detroit some problems with their defense as well.

BDevilU
05-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Deng better than James?

Tough call, but I'd take Nate.

He gave everything he had to Duke basketball, his heart and soul, and did whatever it took for his team to become NCAA Champions. You can't ask for more than that. I still have to fight from getting teary when seeing that picture of Nate sitting alone in the championship postgame lockerroom in 2001. He used all of his eligibility and went out as a winner. Legendary.

That other guy? Hardly an afterthought in my remembrances of Duke glory... or worse, Duke glory unrealized.

(Almost tongue-in-cheek, but not quite)

CMS2478
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
You can tell it's the offseason in Duke basketball when the top thread right now that has stayed up for days is debating which of two NBA players is better. SHEESSHH!!! When does practice start again??? ;)