PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report

chrisheery
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't think there is a thread quite like this. So, I thought I would make one.

I would like to discuss Bleacher report and its qualification as a real website. The article posted on the front page is probably one of the best articles posted on that site to this point. However, it is still not even close to something I would call journalism. There is no research involved, there are some facts that are incorrect, and it is not exactly high quality writing. Its basically a website that puts up "articles" that are the same thing as most good posts on the bulletin board.

So, my question is, why does DBR keep posting these articles? Is there a relationship between DBR and Bleacher Report? Just wondering.

bdh21
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
If DBR wants to keep on posting links to Bleacher Report, that's fine with me. But it would be nice if they at least noted on the main page when a story is from BR so we could skip it and move on to something else!

loran16
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't think there is a thread quite like this. So, I thought I would make one.

I would like to discuss Bleacher report and its qualification as a real website. The article posted on the front page is probably one of the best articles posted on that site to this point. However, it is still not even close to something I would call journalism. There is no research involved, there are some facts that are incorrect, and it is not exactly high quality writing. Its basically a website that puts up "articles" that are the same thing as most good posts on the bulletin board.

So, my question is, why does DBR keep posting these articles? Is there a relationship between DBR and Bleacher Report? Just wondering.

Bleacher Report is affiliated with CBSSports I believe, which has links to their articles on their website.

That said, DBR has no connection to the B/R, but it's slow during non-basketball season and DBR likes to link any potentially relevant articles that come to mind.

(But yes the article in question is awful-It's basically an article of two fans bickering about what they think-one being very negative one being very optimistic-with no actual useful information in the first place)

InSpades
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
When I read the headlines on the main page I get interested but when I see the link goes to bleacher report half the time I don't bother to click on it (the other half I am disappointed I did click on it). There are definitely posts on these forums that are far more interesting and well written.

chrisheery
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not trying to tell DBR how to do things. I am just wondering why these things keep getting posted. Of course, I can't tell DBR how to do things. I wouldn't try to. DBR is awesome.

mkline09
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I felt compelled to write regarding the dislike of bleacherreport.com. First off if you don't like it don't read it. I agree perhaps to help you avoid going there it would be a good idea to let you know if an article comes from there from the start.
Really all it is is a site for fans to write about their teams, not all that different from these boards here. Many articles are from fans that are beating their chest, wishing, prognosticating or just venting. I write for it, and while there is some stuff worthy of reading and some that isn't I'm not going to fault anyone from voicing their opinions. I don't claim to be a sports journalist (although I use to be a journalist) just a fan. I welcome all criticism but I do this, like most, as a hobby. We don't have press credentials and we aren't getting interviews or inside scoops on the teams we root for. I don't pretend to be an expert just a fan. We are simply writing to create some civil discourse about our teams, again similar to the DBR boards. So ultimately if you don't like it that is fine, but there is no need to be critical of those who do pretty much the same thing many do here. Besides with as much negativity that surrounds Duke in the media I would think most would enjoy someone writing something positive, even if it is from a know-nothing fan.

chrisheery
10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I am not trying to complain about the site and what it does. I am just wondering why it is linked as though it is news on the front page. My point is that the front page might as well link the really good posts on this BB on the front page. You see what I mean?

mkline09
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I am not trying to complain about the site and what it does. I am just wondering why it is linked as though it is news on the front page. My point is that the front page might as well link the really good posts on this BB on the front page. You see what I mean?

I totally get your point. My post was probably less of a response to your post than it was to some others I've seen on the boards that were pretty harsh. I can understand your point regarding the similarities to linking good posts on the front page. That being said there are some pretty interesting discusions that come about from BR articles, so while many certainly aren't worthy of the front page I think so are worth looking at.

JaMarcus Russell
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM

I am sure you would consider a head writer from the Boston Globe to be a journalist, and his most recent article repeatedly referred to Austin Rivers as one of the nation's top senior guards. He also used 5-week quotes about his commitment to Florida as if they were brand new.

In other words, there is poor research, factual errors, and poor writing in many newspapers as well. That's why their numbers are dwindling.

chrisheery
10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
That is a good point.

SupaDave
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Since most of B/R's articles are mostly op-ed they are fine to post. They are generally used for conversation and not much else. However, there IS a difference between this message board and the B/R. Most folks who visit this message board are not intending to "publish" their work and therefore tend to offer their opinions in a more honest light rather than publish for response as it seems the B/R is for.

The B/R does offer good insight depending on what you're looking for, particularly with football analysis. As long as the articles hold up under scrutiny I have no problems reading them and taking them for the morsel that they give. But at the same time these are "published" articles so the writers open up themselves to whatever criticism comes their way.