PDA

View Full Version : WSJ Jason Gay

JD79
10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Article on page B8 about sports in the WSJ today. Last line in article about Cameron Indoor being "sadly hilarious" when there is stunned silence when (and if) the visiting team stuns the crowd to be quiet with an upset win.

I assume the writer (Jason Gay) to be a Heel or other competing school alum? Anyone know?

killerleft
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Article on page B8 about sports in the WSJ today. Last line in article about Cameron Indoor being "sadly hilarious" when there is stunned silence when (and if) the visiting team stuns the crowd to be quiet with an upset win.

I assume the writer (Jason Gay) to be a Heel or other competing school alum? Anyone know?

Don't know about Jason Gay or what he means by "sadly hilarious", but I would be interested to know of any venue that would be any different under the same circumstances (well, among programs that win a lot, anyway). I guess the Dean Dome would be "sadly hilarious" to Duke fans after a Duke win there, maybe without the "sadly" part.

Duvall
10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Shouldn't it be "hilariously sad"? I'm not sure what "sadly hilarious" means.

cato
10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure what "sadly hilarious" means.

Here's one definition (http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSTRE52166H20090302).

El_Diablo
10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Shouldn't it be "hilariously sad"? I'm not sure what "sadly hilarious" means.

Here's an example...

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/terps-suck-2.jpg

flyingdutchdevil
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I love Duke, but the best example I can think of of sadly hilarious is that picture of that little boy crying after we lost to Maryland at Cameron...

sagegrouse
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I love Duke, but the best example I can think of of sadly hilarious is that picture of that little boy crying after we lost to Maryland at Cameron...

Unhappily that was the finals of the ACC tournament. Didn't get a lot of help from the zebras, but Duke had a large lead in the last few minutes.

I don't blame the kid for crying. We had won every year he had been alive.:)

sagegrouse